Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

In Boardwalk Empire final season news: What.

:psyduck:

They should have gotten more seasons :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Mu Zeta posted:

It was cool except for the plot of the dragon girl going absolutely nowhere.

Problem is this has been happening for 3 seasons now :cheeky:

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

So I just powered through all of Broad City last night after reading a finale review of Playing House.

Holy poo poo is Broad City a funny show. I didn't know any of the actors (apart from some guest stars) but they sold me from the second episode onwards. The dynamic between the two leads was excellent and the supporting cast was rock solid, can't recommend it enough. Hope they get a second season.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I love Boardwalk Empire to death but man it really deserves better opening credits. Band of Brothers though, that's a show with opening credits that perfectly set the mood of depressing yet somewhat hopeful. God drat I need to watch it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GonzHGwLTOw

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

xcore posted:

I started watching Review based off a podcast recommendation and I'm quite enjoying it. Do comedy central have any other shows worth watching?

I blasted through all of Broad City a couple weeks ago due to seeing it mentioned here a couple times and around the AV Club site. It's awesome and loving hilarious, couldn't recommend it more.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

If the last half-season of Mad Men is as strong as this year's then I could definitely see Hamm picking up a bunch of stuff next go around if not this time. Mad Men was loving great this year.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Mu Zeta posted:

You're the Worst is still great.

Having just binged through all available episodes I have to agree. Show owns.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

MrAristocrates posted:

How clichéd, DivisionPost. Lazy writing, right here.

Such a derivative post, thoroughly mediocre.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Spatula City posted:

I want to binge a TV show within the next couple days, and could use help deciding.

Options:
Sleepy Hollow season 1
Broad City season 1
Key and Peele, every bit of it available on Amazon Prime
Carnivale
finish Continuum season 2
continue watching Once Upon a Time season 2 (consider this the I Hate You option)
Revenge season 2
Caprica
24 season 1 (never seen more than a few random episodes of 24)
Homeland season 2 :haw:

Broad City. Probably the best new comedy around and super easy to watch.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Is The League even watchable at this point? I remember really enjoying most of Seasons 1-3 but after that it felt like the show took a nosedive.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

The Midniter posted:

I watched most of the first season of Trailer Park Boys a couple weeks ago and while it had its moments, I couldn't quite get into it enough to continue watching. Is it anything like P&R where it finds its footing in its second/later seasons? Or is it just one of those things that if I can't get into it by the first season, it's probably not for me?

Season 1 certainly has a bit of a different tone; from S2 onwards the show finds its rhythm and if you don't feel it by the end of S2 or the first half of S3 then the show probably isn't for you. I will say that TPB is awesome though, it's a great show for just choosing a random episode to sit down and watch.

I wouldn't really say it's all that similar to Parks aside from both shows get better as they go on. S1 Parks was just straight-up bad, they reinvented many of the characters and their traits for the better. TPB feels more like a gradual evolution from a solid foundation.

Lugaloco fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 5, 2014

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

The one thing I feel You're The Worst needs to change/improve is the veteran roommate. Lindsay, Edgar's counterpart in terms of their supporting roles, is a far more entertaining and interesting character.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

PriorMarcus posted:

The opening credits of Orange is the new Black are so bad they sour me on the episode that follows.

The credits would be perfectly ok if they didn't go on and on and on and on and on and on and oh you thought they were over? and on and on and on and on and on.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

toanoradian posted:

These past few days I've been binging on game shows that are on YouTube: Jeopardy, The Price is Right, Scrabble, The Chase, etc etc. What other game shows would you guys recommend? Please don't say Deal or No Deal.

Only Connect. It's so dry but so, so good.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

toanoradian posted:

Thanks for all the game shows recommendations, everyone.

This, Pointless and The Chase might be the only three 'game shows' from the UK I know that are almost as fun as their panel shows. There are literally no audience with them in the studio, are there? It is almost cringeworthy when there is absolute silence following any of Victoria's jokes. I kinda wish they have an audience, watching Only Connect is an odd experience coming from American game shows. Or even other UK game shows like Countdown.

For Only Connect I feel it might lose something if an audience was added in. The lack of one gives a unique tone and lets the focus be purely on the quizzing rather than trying to entertain a live audience. There's no big prize, no frills, glitz or glamour, just two teams battling it out for the sheer satisfaction of winning.

Don't get me wrong, Pointless is a great show but my god sometimes it drags its feet in getting to the actual "game" part. Sometimes you just want a show that's no nonsense with minimal jokes (that are preferably bad) and Only Connect fills that void.

If you really want a Quiz with a capital Q though then University Challenge is the daddy of them all as I'm sure you probably know already.

Lugaloco fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 29, 2014

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

toanoradian posted:

Only Connect is clearly set in purgatory, like Season 6 of Lost!

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

DominoDancing posted:

Whoever talked about about Only Connect upthread, I've started watching a couple of episodes on YouTube, and it's really good! I'm incredibly bad at the game itself, so I'm often impressed that the contestants actually discover the connections.
And it really is weird that this show has no studio audience. It feels like one of those "Big Bang Theory without the laugh track" YouTube videos in places.

I often suffer with "Guess the Connection" and "Fourth in the Sequence" but I can reliably get a decent amount of points in the "Wall" and "Missing Vowels" rounds. I really don't know how people can score so many points in those first two, they surely have to practise a particular way of thinking.

:colbert:No Audience Supremacy:colbert:

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Josh Lyman posted:

I can't deal with Only Connect's lack of an audience.

Then you're missing out :smuggo:

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Junkenstein posted:

Only Connect's moving from BBC4 to BBC2, I believe, so it'll probably get a studio audience then.

They already moved and there's still no audience. It's now on right after University Challenge, creating the greatest hour of quizzing the world has ever seen.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

"What's an aptitude test?"

"Suitability test, Ricky."

"Well I'll wear a suit if I have to."

It's the simple things.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

To be honest, just watch the first Highlander movie and pretend that's all there was. That thing kicked rear end in a fun, dumb way. The TV show just wasn't very good and the less said about the subsequent movies the better.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

raditts posted:

Keyboard Cat has been dead for a couple decades now, he came from a VHS tape from sometime in the 80's that became popular on the internet for some reason.

Ron Livingstone's probably looking for work, problem solved.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

DivisionPost posted:

Nick Offerman has also been invited to jump aboard (not necessarily as the elder Solverson), but he's apparently still deciding.

It would be great to see him play something serious. Parks is done next year so hopefully he says yes.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

The Americans was great this year except for that one scene in the final episode where a guy is dying for what feels like 10 minutes while spouting exposition like a motherfucker. Still, the Season 3 trailer is loving dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSu2dpWBjfQ

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Sober posted:

Then again all the people complaining about this point about last season of The Americans have no legs to stand on when talking about True Detective, which kinda also had an ending that was hyped up to be more than it could deliver on.

I wouldn't say The Americans season finale was hyped up to be more than it was, just that one scene was very jarring compared to how excellent everything else was. I do agree that the TD finale was a bit overhyped, I'm not sure what people were really expecting with that one.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

zoux posted:

Cthulu rising from his watery slumber.

You got McConaughey staring into some crazy space wormhole bullshit, what more do you guys want dammit :argh:

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

That's what a subforum of a paywalled internet message board is for! :eng101:

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Cactus posted:

Aw yeah when does that start up again? I really want to see the daughter get sucked into it all.

End of January.

Also, any excuse to post the totally boss trailer for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSu2dpWBjfQ

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Cactus posted:

I can't watch that link, but is it the same as this one?

Here's one that should work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gTeHvdZO-E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Josh Lyman posted:

Gillian Anderson is now a bisexual?

:what:

What's wrong with that?

• Locked thread