Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone recommend The Dead Zone? (The one with Anthony Michael Hall.)

I've heard it does paranormal investigationy / supernaturalish stuff (being based on a Stephen King novel, even if only loosely; I've not read the book, so the faithfulness of the adaptation to its source material, or lack thereof, is no issue for me), which I feel like watching at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GreenNight posted:

It's actually not a half bad show. Give it a watch. The last season is pretty terrible though. I remember they got rid of half the cast, and the showrunner.

After Sliders and Highlander, I'm more or less inured to the last seasons of genre shows being terrible.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rocksicles posted:

I just rewatched the new episode of Lost Girl, and lo and behold... 12 Monkeys teaser. Seymour Birkhoff !! is the main guy. I'm in on this ground floor, all in, balls deep.. etc etc.

Can't wait.

I was thinking of trying Lost Girl; I understand it's done early next year, so I guess I'll wait until it's finished and watch the lot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Regy Rusty posted:

Maybe I'm weird but I like watching pure evil Kevin Spacey destroy the competition. It'll make it all the more satisfying when the whole thing comes crashing down around him. Almost like he's building some kind of...

Well, unless they decide to go in a very different narrative direction from the novels or the BBC adaptation...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the first serialised "prestige" drama in the contemporary sense? I often hear The West Wing, The Sopranos and Oz, but I'd assume it has a longer lineage than that; I reckon it could go back to the David E. Kelley stuff, stuff like Hill Street Blues or LA Law or one of the big-name nineties police/crime/medical dramas that won all the television awards, like Homicide: Life on the Street or NYPD Blue or Chicago Hope. Obviously very different series, but they must be antecedents at least.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toxxupation posted:

The Sopranos is the blueprint of modern contemporary serialized television

Except, perhaps, for the really tedious period between 2004 and 2007 when TV writers seemed to think the blueprint was actually Lost. :v: (It's pretty weird going on to the Wikipedia page for the series that won the Emmy for Best Drama, and there's Lost and 24 smack dab in the middle of the last decade tucked between The Sopranos and Mad Men).

But more seriously, I don't think I could argue with any of that. I'm just curious about what led to it, and I suppose that's what my original question was trying to ask. Say you put The Sopranos in the middle of a continuum of "prestige" type television dramas, what would go on either side as landmarks in the format's development?

(Obviously, I realise one probably couldn't formulate an exact sequential list of that type, but such things appeal to me because I'm a giant wanker, basically.)

Toxxupation posted:

If you want to know the answer and why it's sopranos you should read sepinwalls "revolution was televised" book, which is all about the history of the modern day prestige drama and a fascinating read in its own right

Also he's writing a sitcom equivalent so the answer to what the comedic equivalent is will be answered soon

I haven't heard of that but it sounds like it might be interesting.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Haha, okay. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Jack posted:

We watched the Ascension first episode and it was not good. The most glaring issue is where are all of the old people? The original crew? Why is everyone under 40? It's jarring.

As was established on the last page of this thread, people in their thirties are quite elderly.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They're also contractually obliged to keep the world "family" in the channel's name. I understand they planned to change it after they bought it, only to find out it wasn't an option.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GreenNight posted:

Legend of the Seeker was a lot of fun. I miss that show.

My dad likes that one. He likes that one and The Librarians. I get the two confused.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have no hate for Bean. Rowan Atkinson is pretty much always great at everything he puts his hands to, and I'd rather sit through 30 minutes of that than whatever archaic nonsense in 2014 clothing UK comedy has to offer this year.

Yes, I'd watch Blackadder's Christmas Carol most Christmases.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sbaldrick posted:

Blackadder Christmas Carol is the best Christmas special.

I'm going to watch it tonight now.

"Strip away the outer layers of a fat git, and inside you'll probably find..."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kurtofan posted:

The saddest thing about Christmas television are those programs with celebrities "celebrating" the new year when the thing is filmed in October or somesuch.

I remember it was even in the papers when it came out that Jools Holland's annual hootenanny was filmed around September.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WastedJoker posted:

Now it's Citizen Khan, Mrs Brown's Boyz and loving bread shows.

The limits of my exposure to each of these things are:

1) I sometimes see the last two minutes of Citizen Khan while I'm waiting for HIGNFY to start. It does not look especially good.

2) I sometimes see adverts for the Mrs Brown's Boys movie on Ulsterbuses when I'm driving into Belfast. It does not look especially good.

3) Because the "victim" of the "bincident" / "Baked Alaskagate" (I'm assuming you're talking about The Great British Bake-Off) was from Northern Ireland, the Belfast Telegraph seemed to be running front page features on the great injustice done to him every other day for about a month after it happened, stopping just short of demanding the immediate resignation and suicide of the entire production staff even after everyone pointed out it had been recorded months before it went to air. This is about par for course for Our Wee CountryTM.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 22, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm on episode 4 of The Fall.

It's much better than The Killing or Broadchurch.

I've not seen The Fall but I reckon I must know everything about it anyway because the Belfast Telegraph (who are obsessed with it) seems to report on it as though it's a real life murder case.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

Time to open a bottle of wine I guess. I hate how everything is closed today, I'm quite sure my favorite bar has employees who give no fucks about Christmas so I'm not even sure why they bothered closing.

A day off's a day off.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sober posted:

I feel like Ben Browder kinda just rested on his laurels after Farscape and it was too late when he was trying to get back in. He's pretty much in the guest actor circuit now, at least he showed up on Doctor Who a few years back. I dunno if he'll show back up on Arrow though, but wow, CSI, I hope he was at least the killer or something.

Sure, he was a main character the last two years of SG-1 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

edit: and the next episode is the one with basketball monkey, this is the best afternoon ever

That's the one where they open the basketball and the monkey climbs out and hugs the captain at the end, yes?

• Locked thread