Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Mu Zeta posted:

Martin Scorsese, Terrence Winter, Bobby Cannavale, and Olivia Wilde are filming a 70s rock show right now.

Its pretty exciting and I'd follow Winter to hell and back, but I'm still bummed about Boardwalk Empire ending soon. Especially with the insane time skip they're rolling out.

1924 to 1931 are some PRIME years.... just considering existing side characters we miss out on the Valentine's Day massacre and Capone's tenure before the fall, Rothstein's death, and (the defining moment in the creation of the American mob) the Atlantic City conference! Which is where a whole lot of people speculated the show would probably end, so its extra crazy if we're really just blowing right past it

I really would have watched a dozen seasons and theres so much ground just left untouched. And only eight episodes to go.

And speaking of, they released a new season 5 trailer recently and at least it looks like its going out on top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C8kBuOUsqU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I like that part in The Sopranos where Tony is riding his huge yacht and he hits a rowboat and knocks it over and it's like whoa it's just like how him being rich and powerful lets him gently caress over people without consequence!

thats not what that scene was about

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

How's American Horror Story?

Batshit insane in the best possible way. The pilot will pretty much hook you and each episode flows at a breakneck pace. Also each season is independent of the last so even though season 3 sucks it doesn't matter.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Frostwerks posted:

Is there a general TVIV identify thread like CD has? I got a moment in mind that I remember from something but I can't remember just from what.

Might as well just use that one for tv id too. Often people don't remember enough about what they're seeking to even specify for sure whether it's a movie or show anyway. Besides everyones in that thread is already absorbed into the mystery solving mindset of the great detectives of all media.... Sherlock Holmes, Jake Gittes, Scooby Doo.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

and you got to touch Terry Crews which is at least a 60 thousand dollar value

speaking of, holy poo poo Terry Crews is hosting that now? that's a great idea. the show was always fun because of the format, but the dead lifeless former hosts were a drag.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Wandle Cax posted:

Meredith Viera? Dead and lifeless?

much like regis you can tell there's not a human being behind those eyes

dont know whats really there but it aint human

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

precision posted:

Why do people even slap that poo poo on South Park anyway? I haven't loved the show, ever, outside of the standout episodes (Scott Tenorman, anything with Butters), but it rarely actually pulls "the truth is in the middle", what it usually tries to say is "the truth is that both sides should think about each other a little more because you're just butting heads instead of actually trying to change anyone's mind".

So when it comes to south park's reputation you're saying the truth... is in the middle?

Anyways South Park loving sucks aside from like 3 episodes every season which don't cause they loving own. Do they own enough to make up for scouwering through the boring poo poo? Hard to say. The fact they usually write the episodes the week they air isn't something to be proud of when it shows so blatantly in the final cut. But when they come into the writing room with inspiration it really shows and reminds you how funny they can be when they give a poo poo.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Sandman is really cool.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

zoux posted:

In terms of effort or critics?

Big uproar about not specifically mentioning latinos, hobbits, or elves in the war effort.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

raditts posted:

Where does that put Night Court?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k_jS1zVLWw

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

One day someone decent will finally rise to power in this world and round up all doctor who fans into work camps, ultimately cleansing the world with the great purge.

I dream about a day where the unmarked mass graves are the only trace of the whovenian menace left

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

where would i go

"He Said Yes" the harrowing tale of a boy's struggle with Who, and righteous execution after succumbing to corruption

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That spoiler is still the dumbest, most reductive misunderstanding of the resolution. A stick for lazy people to beat the programme with. A stick being held by the lovely end.

A place outside of time that people use to resolve their issues from life until they're ready to move on to afterlife/heaven.

Nope not purgatory at all.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Hello, my name is Goony McGoonerson, and, as a upstanding feminist and progressive poster at Something Awful dot com, I would like to submit my official objection to Doctor Who's Clara Oswald character for failing to live up to my totally not arbitrary and unrealistic standards for Perfect Female Protagonist. Please note that while I throw the term 'misogyny' around constantly, I am allowed to insult and belittle female characters for exhibiting normal feminine traits and interests because, as I said, I'm a feminist and that's what all good feminists do.

lol

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Ravane posted:

I lost my father four years ago at the age of 18, which is why I empathized with Jack from the beginning, given his situation. But that resolution had me bawling like a kid.

My dad is still alive

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Twin Peaks and Todd Margaret, drat good day to be a gangsta.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

Thinking about watching American Horror Story, is there a recommended order to watch the seasons in/a general ranking of how good each one is?

Watch the first episode of every season
then the second episode of every season
THEN skip to the fifth episode of every season
now go to the forth episode of season 2
then the third episode of season 1
watch the first episode of season 4 again
finally watch ninth episode of season 5

youre done

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Ariza posted:

Sorry nerd. Some people didn't play video games all day and experimented with drugs when they were teenagers.

When precision says he 'once tried' assume that 'once' means yesterday. Pumpkin spice is ruined because of all the nutmeg grit still stuck in between his teeth that didn't get him high yesterday..

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

hey, precision, there's a forum for you to post in about your drug habits, here I'll link it to you: here

way to link the forum index

hahahaha hoist on your own petard

precision posted:

I don't remember couch chat being so hostile a year or two ago.

You probably have trouble remembering anything that happened more than a year ago

(defying expectations here, this is not a joke about you liking drugs, its a joke about you being old)

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

precision posted:

The comments on this are particularly high-level YouTube Comment Hilarity.

You're right snakes never eat people. lol Also what about the innocent other animals it may eat. Did you ever think that there could be a lot of research obtained from this?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

He couldn't figure out what movie you were from. The nod is a symbol of solidarity unique to actors who have played time travelers.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Same, except replace Grumpy Cat with Peter Dinklage.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Boardwalk Empire is one of the best shows of the last few years.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Actually those were really great too.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Even with these exciting finales functioning well as a seasonal apex unloading plot and theme with great catharsis, Boardwalk Empire is stylistically just a slow and ambient period drama. It's not rushing anywhere like say Breaking Bad, it's a different type of greatness. It's more similar to something like Mad Men or The Sopranos as this casual stroll where you basically need to be willing to walk alongside and smell the roses, focusing on where you are without worry where you're going. Those times when it gets crazy it does get really crazy, but for the most part it's about the journey and detours. One of my favorite aspects is how it often it touches rarely explored viewpoints of the era that have large bearing on the story and characters, but would and have been overlooked in more traditional takes on prohibition.

The initial question how other realms of society effected (or were affected by) prohibition allows for introducing so many import areas: the war and post-war institutions, the women's rights movement, the life of immigrants, the negro communities, importance of The Chruch and religion, etc. And back to the "main" story beat, it also goes beyond that struggle between gangsters and prohibition officers. We delve from existing political-oriented crime structure into a changing from the old guard to the new--gangs getting stronger, more violent, and branching out both geographically and into "new" ventures like the heroin trade. Erstwhile, on the law's side, we start with this clear struggle to enforce a law they're massively under-equipped to handle before jumping behind the scenes to the corrupt policy makers lining their pockets compared to some of the "true believers" in the justice department as they struggle to convict (and get promoted).

With less insight than those huge areas but still with important, interesting angles there are a number of smaller detours too. We get the IRA, the FBI (when it was just the BI), hospitals and mental institutions, brothels and working girls, sexual identity, and there's even some insight into show-business of the era, with everyone's favorite: Eddie loving Cantor.

It's a broad, wonderful period drama that covers a lot of ground, so naturally it's pretty drat rough to jump into. No doubt about it, it's pretty slow and honestly it comes off even slower that first time around. Not very easy to binge either so that can make it seem less appealing than alternatives you might be wanting to catch up with. It's one of those shows like The Wire where it's so much better on your second run through when the plot beats are no longer at the front of your mind and you already understand the character motivations enough that the nuance clicks and you can just... breathe it all in.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

i want to smoke crack with AS (aaron sorkin)

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Guys, I'm worried. Someone is laughing uproariously just like Max Cady in Cape Fear. :ohdear:

If you are in a movie theater, you need to get out now before he sees you

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

I shut it off when the dragon started talking keeping it real and drinking your milkshake

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

IRQ posted:

I thought David Simon was super against showing it in 16:9?

Is there any weird poo poo like boom mikes in the shots like usually happens with shows framed for 4:3?

Nah, he wrote up a decent sized post basically saying it's a mixed bag... lot of shots really improved, lot of shots really hindered.

http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/

It's actually a really good piece, worth a read. It's not just about the aspect ratio transfer, Simon puts heart into talking about his personal relationship with Bob Colesberry and uses that as his lens for everything he learned about cinematography, why they went 4:3 originally and then stayed 4:3, his experience with HBO doing the transfer, and the end product with examples of positive and negative results.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Pretty much. Fargo good. Fargo really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

I think the new Utopia could still get away with it. Even if it was just shot for shot remake, the original scene is still different enough from when Obama did Sandy Hook that people wont just accuse the show of of being derivative of the real media conspiracy

• Locked thread