Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Deadpool posted:

Just from a quick peek at their page and seeing articles such as "17 Reasons not to trust Dick Cheney on Iraq" and "21 Charts that explain why the US is changing" I'd guess that it's Buzzfeed for "serious" news.

There is a fair amount of click bait there, but there is a also a lot of excellent web journalism. Between that and the other newcomer FiveThirtyEight, it's the one that offers far more useful content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

VagueRant posted:

What's the general opinion on The 100? CW has cranked out some of the best (if cheesiest) stuff on TV lately with Nikita (well, the first two seasons) and Arrow. I remember hearing mixed reactions along the lines of "good ideas but meh TV".

The teen stuff on the ground takes a while to stop being stupid, but it's compensated by the orbital hijinks aboard the SS Malthus Was Right. It's like someone snuck some vaguely-hard-SF into an otherwise standard CW show, plus it's nice to see so many Battlestar Galatcica alumi back aboard a grimy spaceship.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Can anyone recommend an impossibly twee show about female musicians trying to make it big in LA? I need inspiration for my suicide note.

The L.A. Complex might not have the USDA recommended dose of female musicians specifically, but in other respects it may be what you are looking for in these dark times.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

ninjahedgehog posted:

As someone with only a passing familiarity with the show, can someone explain why this is a boneheaded thing to do? I love dumb game show bets and I want in on this one.

The trick is to guess as close to the price of said washer/dryer/deepfryer/what-have-you without going over. Guessing one dollar higher than the previous high guess "claims" all the space above you, infinitely. Guessing one dollar below a person's bid means that literally the only time you win is if you are exactly correct.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

MrAristocrates posted:

I can only understand life through pizza metaphors. Somebody explain Lost to me.

Imagine that you spent six years telling people how amazing your pizza tasted. And not just telling them, you let them come into the kitchen and watch you make it, sample the ingredients, be amazed at the dough tossing skills of your chefs, the whole nine yards. Everything that goes into making a great pizza.

And then they sit down to eat it and it's terrible. You then explain to them that you're not a pizza place, you're an Italian bistro which gives people a once in a lifetime experience that is far more important than any mundane pizza.

All I wanted was loving double pepperoni with garlic.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

ShakeZula posted:

I'm actually pleased by this. The second season was an order of magnitude better than the first, even if I'm...unsure of how well they'll be able to follow on from the ending.

If you are insane enough to write the season two finale of Hemlock Grove, you are insane enough to figure out how to roll it into season three. Unless the exotic hallucinogens you were using were no longer available, at which point....just grab a handful of pills and hope for the best.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

What happens?

It's mostly a pretty satisfying season finale, with big confrontations and wrap-ups to the storylines to the season. Then we hit the last two minutes which are usually setting up the cliffhanger that will roll into the next season. OK, the baby is in danger (again), no huge surprise there. Let's go race up to the roof and save her and...

Jesus gently caress. What the goddamn gently caress is that? Who even sketches out something like that? Who thought that a giant floating man/bat/mantaray/octopus thing was a good idea? For a show that is mostly rooted in classic monsters and mad science, something utterly out of context and ridiculous suddenly appears.

Now granted, that's a large part of what I watch Hemlock Grove for. But you have to be nuts to write, design, and actually film it.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

zoux posted:

I'm watching Defiance right now and it reminded me that there is nothing more inelegant and expository than a scifi show pilot.

Don't let Defiance off the hook because of the pilot - that show has a ton of potential in terms of setting and wastes most of it in favor of another goddamn Old West analogue each and every week.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

VDay posted:

So the Walking Dead spin-off show "companion series" got its pilot greenlit. Kind of weird to make just a completely different show set in the same world but in a different place and with different characters, but it's not exactly surprising. Kind of worried about them having to split potentially cool ideas between two shows given how often the main show seems to lose momentum during a season and spin its wheels for stretches of episodes, but hopefully it'll be different enough that that won't be a huge issue.

So now we have two shows beating the same tedious zombie apocalypse drum? My only hope is that the showrunner has a genuinely different vision for the themes of the show, otherwise I'll pass on watching yet more attempts at rebuilding civilization fall through because it's us, we are The Walking Dead.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I really liked Invasion and Surface too :(

Surface was just meh, but Invasion really seemed to have potential. Much more so when I read what the plan was for the next two seasons, including some fairly severe changes of premise as the story evolved and the bad guys turned out to be more alien than evil.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Do you remember anything about this? I really liked Invasion.

I just realized that the elaborate plot stuff I remembered was for Threshold, not Invasion.

Invasion was probably even better, largely because of William Fitchner. It had an extremely strong sense of place and the creepiness that goes along with not only could you be replaced by a pod person, but maybe you already had and didn't know it.

While on the subject, I just want to mention that while it didn't blow my doors off, I ended up liking The Event more than I thought I would, largely due to the way they ended the season. None of this secret invasion poo poo, we're dropping another planet into orbit and y'all are just going to have to deal with it. Jason Ritter is just so likable and Laura Innes came off as someone who isn't really human but Would You Just Do What You're Told Please?

kaynorr fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

zoux posted:

Seacrest said they're only doing one night of Idol this year and X-Factor's finale got historically low ratings in Britain last night so is this the death of singing contest shows :pray:

Not as long as The Voice does fantastic numbers for NBC (by NBC standards).

• Locked thread