Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I finished watching season 1 of 24 last night, and it...kind of felt boring? I didn't really care at all about what happened with Jack's wife, and everyone felt like they had exactly two emotions: :geno: and :qq:. And then Jack's third emotion, :tizzy:.

Should I bother watching more if the first season didn't really grab me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Kraps posted:

What's the practical difference single-cam and multi-cam?

Multi-cam is intended to evoke something akin to a stage production/play, while single-cam veers closer to pure tv production a la hour-longs.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

raditts posted:

Doesn't Hayden Panatierre still have that Nashville show? I thought that was pretty popular.

I don't think it's "popular" so much as "doing just well enough to not get cancelled", but I haven't watched since season 1 mostly because I don't give a poo poo about characters that aren't her's or Connie Britton's.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Generic American posted:

So, TVIV! I have a question for any experienced HBO-havers. I ended up missing this entire season of Game of Thrones, but now that I'm finally getting an upgrade to HD, they're giving me the channels until mid-September. My question is that, based on previous seasons, is there any chance that they'll be going back through the older episodes at some point or is it just rerunning the final two ad nauseam like it shows for the next few weeks of scheduling until they slip out of the rotation?

The entire series to date is on Xfinity On Demand, so I'd assume it's on HBOGO proper as well. If you can watch HBO the channel on your box, you probably have access to HBOGO.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Rosario Dawson has been cast in the Netflix Daredevil series.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

DivisionPost posted:

I respect most things and find a few things to truly hate. You want to hear about me hating something? I'll tell you about To Love and Die, a horrific pilot that USA burned off at the end of...I want to say 2008. Anybody who has ever uttered the phrase "bad *" to criticize television should watch that two hour mess of sub-par chick-lit masquerading as an action-comedy that had neither action nor comedy.

Want something more recent? I thought Maleficent was a straight up dumpster fire. I don't have anything but empathy for its director (Robert Stromberg), but I hope whoever signed off on him got randomly punched in his loving face sometime after.

Edit: IN HIS loving FACE.

If you ever watched more than the opening credits (which are top 5 worst ever), you would also loathe The L Word. I have a very good feeling about this.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

raditts posted:

What are your top 5 worst opening credits? I feel like The Mindy Project has gotta be up there.

Mindy Project is definitely in there for me. L Word might just be the worst of all time, though.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YcE5k6YUYFI

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
The Friends opening is just ducky except for on the DVD (I donno if they did it on the original broadcast) where they literally "spoil" the entire episode in the credits clip sequence.

It's the episode where Monica and Chandler first get together in London, and the opening credits shows the part where they wake up naked in bed together.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, I've seen a few episodes of Orphan Black now and it didn't really do much for me. It's a neat trick that Tatiana Maslany is able to act against someone who isn't there, but being able to create a bunch of different characters seems like a fairly normal task for a competent actor.

I would imagine it's less about playing different characters as it is playing them all against each other in the same scene. Calling doing that very well a "trick" seems like it's doing kind of a disservice to acting in general, and her in particular.

(Edit: Season 2 had a number of missteps, and pretty much all of them were on the writers trying to weave way too convoluted a web out of the story.)

xeria fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 3, 2014

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm more surprised there's no been outrage over everyone's favourite Orphan not being nominated for the amazing talent of being able to act multiple characters at an acceptable level of talent.

Lizzy Caplan getting nominated is more rad than this post.

(Also Mads Mikkelsen should punch Jeff Daniels square in the neck.)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

EL BROMANCE posted:

I can't be the only one confused over the following Emmy categorisations:

Outstanding Miniseries
“Fargo” (FX)

Outstanding Drama Series
“True Detective” (HBO)

Is it simply down to which category the producers nominated them in? Because I can't think of any real difference between those two shows, category wise.

Pretty much they choose, and there's no way HBO was going to lose out on some spoils this year by jamming its two hottest critical properties (TD and Normal Heart) into the same set of categories.

(It's like how Downton Abbey moved from miniseries to drama in its 2nd season, or Shameless moved from Drama to Comedy this year.)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Junkenstein posted:

Not that I give a toss about the Emmys, but it really says something about the unexpected quality of 2014 TV when I wouldn't mind if True Detective or Fargo beat Breaking Bad's final season.

Well, you shouldn't have to worry about Fargo in the first place since that pounded into the Miniseries category!

(Where it will lose horribly to The Normal Heart instead.)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I've never watched Dexter but technically the final (worst) season of The L Word aired (roughly) in the last 5 years and I feel pretty confident in saying that it was probably worse than Dexter.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Slamhound posted:

Unless the lesbians of The L Word all became lumberjacks, it ain't got poo poo on Dexter.

They literally killed the main character in the first 5 minutes, then the entire season was a big whodunnit "mystery" about it that the showrunner still refuses to ever actually solve.

Then the final shot was all the other characters runway walking with windmachines and dramatic lighting into the police station to be interrogated.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

raditts posted:

Just from personal use, because the interface is crap and there's no clear indication as to what is included as free with Prime and what's not, which often varies between different seasons of the same TV show.

Amazon's interface is laggy and dumb but there's definitely a 'Prime' indicator on the box art of anything that's free when browsing. Sometimes it does vary between seasons but that's usually either HBO stuff (eg. only seasons 1-3 of True Blood are on Prime) or because it's the Netflix thing where the current season (or the season that just finished airing) isn't available for free yet.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Maybe it's because I lowered my expectations to rock-bottom, but I actually enjoyed American Horror Story season 3 a lot! It's silly as gently caress a lot of the time and isn't really that scary, but it's still really entertaining. Why did goons hate it so much?

Because it was written with seemingly no real consensus among the writers on what the 'main' arc should be, or who the protagonist should be, or even what the rules of the universe in general should be. Example - the central storyline seems like it wants to be "Who will be the next Supreme?" but the characters and even the show itself have no real idea on what determines this until the penultimate episode when it says, "This is how we pick a Supreme, forget everything that everyone else said before." The way that's handled smacks very much of a collection of writers who introduced an idea and didn't actually bother to flesh it out before they started writing it into episodes, until they got to the end of the season and said, "Whoops, I guess we should figure this out now, huh?"

There are fun and even memorable moments to the season, but the thing as a whole is just sloppy and dumb.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

That was pretty consistently the main through-line of the season. We knew that the next Supreme would manifest multiple powers and then do the test, and apart from that it was more about who made more narrative sense to become the Supreme than just picking one of them and being done. The only thing that bothered me about that was that they didn't focus on Cordelia getting more powerful so it was a bit of a left turn on that account when she became the Supreme, even though it made sense considering the character development between her and Fiona.

But again, I had lowered my expectations a lot going in since so many people disliked it, so I was expecting utter poo poo and I got a pretty fun season instead.

I'd argue that this was the 'narrative' to the Supreme storyline (granted, from memory):

(first or second episode) "The Supreme is the most powerful witch who can do ALL the powers! We other witches only get one super special power!"
"Also, whenever a new Supreme is on the rise, the old Supreme starts to fade."
"Uh oh, Zoe can do weird poo poo to zombies, she might be the new Supreme!"
"Uh oh, Madison might have new powers, she's probably the new Supreme!"
"Uh oh, Misty can resurrect people, so she's obviously the Supreme!"
"Uh oh, now EVERYONE'S manifesting new powers! Who could possibly be the next Supreme!"
*second to last episode* "Okay, here's how we pick the next Supreme, that's been documented since colonial times, we just needed Fiona to die first before we can figure out who it is."
"Cordelia's the Supreme and now all super confident and proud of being a witch!"

So it turns out everyone can do pretty much every power, they just name the Supreme as whoever fucks up the least when doing the powers test. That's less a consistent narrative and more a desperate need to bait-and-switch the audience over and over and over (on top of a perpetual cycle of killing and raising characters) until finally no one actually cares who the next Supreme is because the show didn't present an even remotely compelling reason TO care.

They lean heavily into a Lalaurie redemption arc, only to pull it at the last minute with, "Haha, nah, she's still real evil."

They kill Queenie on-screen, only to have her apparently resurrect herself off-screen and roll up with a casual, "Hey, I can do that now."

They introduce a character who ends up being THE key to several characters' ultimate fates...in the 9th episode out of 13. His presence isn't even so much as hinted at until Marie Laveau finally name-drops him and immediately he becomes the most important thing in the show.

And like someone said earlier, there was no compelling narrative reason for Misty to get stuck in hell, or Madison to not use any powers at all to stop ZombieTate from choking her out, or Zoe to teleport herself onto spikes, save that it left all the surviving witches holding the bag and going, "Uh, well, I guess it'd have to be Cordelia? Everyone else is dead or unable to un-dead them."

That all doesn't mean you can't enjoy what you watched, but It'd be a stretch at best to call it good.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Postal Parcel posted:

Most everything is right but this.
It's mentioned in the story that witches can have multiple powers, but only the supreme can perform the seven wonders(test).

In the end, AHS:C never really had a main character and made Cordelia it. It ended up feeling like a copout.

I stand corrected, then. It's been a year and that's how I remembered one of those initial conversations in the first couple episodes (where they're doing the standard fare "THIS IS MY POWER" series of demonstrations or something).

Edit: And not really having a main character/protagonist is spot-on and another issue. The first few episodes really lead you to believe that it's Zoe -- we enter the Coven world through her eyes, to start -- and then she fades severely into the background through the season's middle episodes, and then suddenly it's Cordelia after all.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Thinking back, all of this is true (except the part that Postal Parcel already pointed out), and they're all fair. I still enjoyed the season, but in retrospect it was a lot less cohesive than when I watched it. (I blew through it in just a few days so that could also contribute to having glossed over some of the sloppier aspects. Binging a season is fun but it's easy to overestimate a show's quality since you don't have as much time to think about it in between episodes.)

Yeah, that's absolutely true (about binging a season vs watching week-to-week as it airs). Even with all the issues I listed, I still really wanted to like Coven as a whole up until they revealed Misty's fate.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Yeah man that was total bullshit. Her hell was actually horrible and effective and if they'd really established why that would gently caress her up too badly to escape (we knew she was the nature girl but that shouldn't have meant that she would fail there) then it would've been okay. But they didn't so it wasn't.

It probably would have made more sense for her personal hell being someone killing Stevie Nicks over and over and over for all eternity than what they actually did.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Zaggitz posted:

I preach only the truth, brother.

It's true, and Zaggitz also knew the exact right way to get me interested in his tv show.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

IRQ posted:

Told you about the best character huh?

:woof:

I am auto-sold on any tv show with an awesome dog. :colbert:

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
This -- each network/company trying its own streaming service -- was pretty obviously going to be the next step once they saw how successful Netflix (and to a lesser extent, Amazon and Hulu) would become with original programming added to their dockets.

We'll probably follow this rabbit hole for a while until some of them go the way of Verizon/Redbox Instant and realize it's not quite the easy profits venture they'd hoped it'd be.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

smg77 posted:

Does the opposite ever happen where they take American shows and create horrible British versions of them?

Someone over there please do a terrible British remake of Glee. I mean, it couldn't possibly be worse, but also COULD IT?!

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
There's also no reason to not expect an ad-free experience from all pay-to-stream services when that's exactly what you get with Netflix/Amazon Prime/HBO Go. Precedent in the market exists on both sides of the coin, and people should be demanding enough to tip the scales in favor of a more viewer-friendly experience.

The Xfinity app is weird about commercials anyway. I'll fire up a sitcom, 22 minutes long, and the first thing that'll play is "3" minutes of the same ad for another show on loop. "3" is in quotes because the screen SAYS 3 minutes remaining, but sometimes it'll start/resume playing the episode itself after only one minute, or two. And sometimes it'll play down to 1 minute remaining and suddenly shoot back up to 3 minutes remaining when the ad cycles again.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

DivisionPost posted:

Sure there is. Netflix and Prime are services you buy separate from cable, getting their shows months after they finish a season. HBO GO isn't ad-supported and never will be. As a cable subscriber you get access to the streams of ad-supported cable networks, and those ad-supported networks still want to make money for the shows they produce, so they run ads. The money you're paying for that login doesn't go directly to the networks you watch, it goes to your provider. Ergo, "I pay money for my cable login" is not the same as "I pay money for Netflix."

It's worth pointing out that Hulu is a different, obnoxious story; owned by the networks, doesn't necessarily require a provider login, STILL runs ads. And most people you talk to who subscribe to Plus, including me, do so out of weary frustration because it's still technically the cheapest legal way to watch certain shows you can't get anywhere else, on your TV as opposed to your computer screen. Frankly, I'm not sure they sustain over the next 15, 20 years (maybe even quicker).

Certainly there's a difference between Hulu (which is obnoxious at best) and "Network-specific streaming service that requires a cable subscription to even use", but I still don't see a point in just throwing your hands up and going "welp" because "that's the way it is". Doubly so when the apps themselves (see - Simpsons thing, my experience in using Comcast's Xfinity app) don't even work well to begin with, ads aside. And triply so for any network-specific service that would charge its own subscription fee separate from a base cable subscription (eg. CBS).

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

muscles like this? posted:

I ended up watching a couple of network shows On Demand earlier this year and it was definitely a mixed experience. The NBC shows I watched didn't have any commercials but the Fox ones did and they were pretty annoying. Especially the one where it was related to the show I was watching and gave a spoiler.

Yeah, in the Xfinity app at least, it definitely seems to differ by network how obnoxious the ads are. ABC's shows are the worst by far, that I've seen.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I was going to say Xfinity's tablet interface isn't too bad, but then I remembered that filtering movies to just show 'Science fiction' genre still gave me Care Bears, so.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Rarity posted:

OMG YOU GUYS WATCH PERSON OF INTERET THIS poo poo IS BANANAS BEE AY EN AY EN AY NANASDNLFLRNGFEWBHFRGBRWG

PS it is actually one of the best shows no matter how much sarcasm you levy~

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sober posted:

I've actually heard people tell me they got angry at the show for making Shaw and Root regular cast characters, which completely baffles me.

These people are unfathomably stupid. :smith:

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

VodeAndreas posted:

I watched the first season of PoI and it didn't really click with me, is it worth skipping to the current season to see what's up or will I be completely lost?

It took me almost a full year to get through season 1 and maybe a month tops for seasons 2/3 (so yeah, season 1 didn't click with me very much either until the very end). I'd say it's worth at least watching the end of 1, parts of 2, and the entirety of 3.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Toxxupation posted:

I need a list of shows that most of TVIV doesn't like or notice about that aired this year for Reasons

there are literally no wrong answers here, go crazy with suggestions, my only caveat is that it's a show that most of tviv didn't watch or remember and at least one episode aired this year- and by "Didn't watch or remember" i mean either didn't have a thread, the thread is dead, or the thread is or was tiny as the show aired/is airing: it could also include shows that were huge but aired at the beginning of this year, so most tvivers dont remember it

for instance, here's my list so far, for reference:

True Detective
The Americans
Too Many Cooks
The Bridge
Faking It
Black-ish
Reign

Pretty Little Liars~~~

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

muscles like this? posted:

They renewed it for multiple seasons before it crashed and burned.

Really, it was already in the process of crashing and burning when Fox gave it a 2-season renewal (pretty sure its demo was hovering around 1.5 and had been slowly falling for two straight seasons).

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I've just about finished getting caught up on The Fall, and I don't know if there's ever been a tv show character before that's just made my skin crawl as much as Paul Spector.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Shageletic posted:

You catch up on True Detective, Fargo, and The Knick yet? AKA the best TV so far this year?

Getting to the end of my Its Always Sunny marathon on netflix, looking for something else I could watch TVwise on it. Recommendations? Already eyeing Peaky Blinders (sp?).

As luck would have it, the first season of The Fall is on Netflix and should be watched~

It's only five episodes~

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Shageletic posted:

I don't know...I generally don't have time for procedurals and especially ones that focus on women getting murdered and raped.

Especially when people describe it like this...

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...r-30771016.html

I honestly fail to see what's glamorizing about what happens in this show when the narrative goes out of its way to portray the serial killer in question as unnerving as hell. Like there's nothing that ever happens in the show that makes Paul Spector anything other than a revolting man masquerading under the guise of normalcy. Hannibal Lecter, he is not.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Krysten Ritter is Jessica Jones, Mike Colter is Luke Cage for the Netflix series.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/marvels-jessica-jones-star-krysten-753978

(The SuperheroFeed twitter confirmed Luke Cage.)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

smg77 posted:

Nobody is making this argument. The problem is that the TV show exploring that scenario is pretentious garbage.

I think Ravane was actually making that exact argument like six posts ago!

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Rarity posted:

If we're talking creepy relationships nothing beats Aria and Ezra on Pretty Little Liars.

The best thing the show did was make Ezra an actual overt "he really is a creepy stalker" bad guy for like half a season.

The worst thing was handwaving it almost entirely the following season within like five episodes so that Aria and Ezra could still be "true love".

(Handwaving guys being terrible creeper assholes just because girls are in love with them seems to be a running theme of this show.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

hcreight posted:

They did it last year too. It's unclear why they do that, other than to give the midseason finale a bump by airing it after the other shows already went on hiatus, maybe?

Technically last season's actual midseason finale aired before any hiatuses; the episode they crammed smack in the middle of it was the first of the two-parter that kicked off S3b. I'd imagine next week's episode will probably do similar (in terms of establishing the arcing storyline through the end of the season).

• Locked thread