Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Race Driver: Grid allows me to use my favourite car racing tactic, sliding sideways into the car ahead of me in order to take a corner way too fast. :haw:

Is that not a genuine racing tactic? Because if so, I've been cheating at racing games for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TontoCorazon posted:

Let's put aside everything to say how loving good a game Riddick was. The stealth in that game was like ten years ahead of its time.

And yet it still had a double-whammy of bad in the combination sewer level and zombie horde level.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

princecoo posted:

Is that not a genuine racing tactic? Because if so, I've been cheating at racing games for years.

It's pretty frowned upon in actual racing, yeah.

Tiggum posted:

Race Driver: Grid allows me to use my favourite car racing tactic, sliding sideways into the car ahead of me in order to take a corner way too fast. :haw:

And the first one lets you cut corners like a motherfucker, too.

Vittek
Nov 8, 2006
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I never noticed it before on my previous 2 playthroughs:

In skyrim when you go into an Inn and sit down on one of the tables (Something you have absolutely no reason to, unless for shits and giggles), not only will the waitress walk up to you and open the trade menu asking what you wanna order, the Innkeeper will also remark that a customer needs to be tended to. Such a neat little detail.

I also discovered you can, in fact, shoot the birds that fly around down and loot them, prolly less obvious but often birds are just some sort of bitmap in the sky to add flavour.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

I won so many close races in Gran Turismo 1 that way :c00l::respek::c00l:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Vittek posted:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I never noticed it before on my previous 2 playthroughs:

In skyrim when you go into an Inn and sit down on one of the tables (Something you have absolutely no reason to, unless for shits and giggles), not only will the waitress walk up to you and open the trade menu asking what you wanna order, the Innkeeper will also remark that a customer needs to be tended to. Such a neat little detail.

I also discovered you can, in fact, shoot the birds that fly around down and loot them, prolly less obvious but often birds are just some sort of bitmap in the sky to add flavour.

They also do this if you interact with anything else in the inn so if you try to cook something or make a potion you'll be forced into a dialogue with the barmaid as soon as you're done.

And the easiest way to shoot down birds if you want is to use something like the Lightning Bolt spell since it hits targets instantly after casting and you don't have to be super accurate with aiming as long as you're in range. The downside is you have to figure out where the hell the bird fell in order to loot it.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Vittek posted:

The ones that can't be killed can still be hit though, so if you're patient you can have one bird flying above the area with huge ice spikes sticking out of it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Fable: Anniversary has an achievement where you dress up as an assassin and fart, being "silent and deadly".

The name is rear end Creed. :buddy:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

poptart_fairy posted:

Fable: Anniversary has an achievement where you dress up as an assassin and fart, being "silent and deadly".

The name is rear end Creed. :buddy:

This is perfect.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I just finished Woodfall Temple in the Majora's Mask remake that came out yesterday, and everything just looks so GOOD. The Deku Princess has such an adorable temper tantrum :3: and the fingers of every person's hands aren't just one blocky piece anymore!

I loved this game as a kid, and the new version is everything I could have asked for so far.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I just finished Woodfall Temple in the Majora's Mask remake that came out yesterday, and everything just looks so GOOD. The Deku Princess has such an adorable temper tantrum :3: and the fingers of every person's hands aren't just one blocky piece anymore!

I loved this game as a kid, and the new version is everything I could have asked for so far.

I love all the new festival posters around Clock Town. One of the most predominant ones is a big blue one for the Zora band :allears:.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

gamingCaffeinator posted:

My favourite little thing in the game is the reworking of the song of double time

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009
Seriously, everything about Majora's Mask that's changed, I like (so far). The set dressings are my favorite, though; Clock Town has all those posters which sell the coming festival (Watch our bands! Play our games! Buy our merchandise!), but I've seen a lot of other stuff that I really like.

Look for yourself if you're playing, since it's funnier to discover it on your own:

Bomb Shop: On the wall, there are plans to build a bomb-powered ship and travel to the moon for TREASURE.

Romani Ranch: The house has a display of milk products; the bedroom now looks like it belongs to two girls, one much younger; Romani has two plush horses, one that's Epona and one that's clearly Ganondorf's horse (that one is stuffed in a corner, forgotten); and the photos on the wall have cows and family portraits and whatnot, but they also have a black-and-white photo of the sky over the ranch and a blurry UFO is flying over it :haw:

Given this is a game that lives off of sidequests and interesting NPCs, I'm glad they made the world more dynamic that way.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Vittek posted:

And if you kill them in a city then their corpses won't despawn. There were two dead birds in the middle of the street in Windhelm for the rest of the game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In Arma 3, I don't know if its just this mod or if its the AAF faction as a whole, but sometimes when I call for a sitrep it will go something like "All, sitrep........... over". Like my guy waits a bit before saying over, and says it almost in a way of "Oh right, I need to say that before getting a response".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

One of a Kind posted:

Seriously, everything about Majora's Mask that's changed, I like (so far). The set dressings are my favorite, though; Clock Town has all those posters which sell the coming festival (Watch our bands! Play our games! Buy our merchandise!), but I've seen a lot of other stuff that I really like.

Look for yourself if you're playing, since it's funnier to discover it on your own:

Bomb Shop: On the wall, there are plans to build a bomb-powered ship and travel to the moon for TREASURE.

Romani Ranch: The house has a display of milk products; the bedroom now looks like it belongs to two girls, one much younger; Romani has two plush horses, one that's Epona and one that's clearly Ganondorf's horse (that one is stuffed in a corner, forgotten); and the photos on the wall have cows and family portraits and whatnot, but they also have a black-and-white photo of the sky over the ranch and a blurry UFO is flying over it :haw:

Given this is a game that lives off of sidequests and interesting NPCs, I'm glad they made the world more dynamic that way.

The Elder Goron's son has a bunch of toys in his room now too. The plans for the bomb-powered ship are actually from the original version, incidentally.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The narration in Darkest Dungeon is just so, so good. It's all voiced from the perspective of the estate's owner, who's hiring all these "heroes" to fight the eldritch horrors beneath his mansion. It's all so gloriously over the top and the VA does a great job hamming it up in a very :black101: fashion. Example: in your very first tutorial encounter, he tells you to "Dispatch this thug in brutal fashion, that all may hear of your arrival!" The game is also really impressive already for still being in early access.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Chard posted:

The narration in Darkest Dungeon is just so, so good. It's all voiced from the perspective of the estate's owner, who's hiring all these "heroes" to fight the eldritch horrors beneath his mansion. It's all so gloriously over the top and the VA does a great job hamming it up in a very :black101: fashion. Example: in your very first tutorial encounter, he tells you to "Dispatch this thug in brutal fashion, that all may hear of your arrival!" The game is also really impressive already for still being in early access.

I love his comments when your guys go crazy, too. Expecially the selfish trait. "One must ensure survival at any cost." Usually said when my priest is busy healing herself when she's at full health while my Crusader is hurting.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Playing through Far Cry 4 and I can't say enough about this game.

I was doing one of Longinus' quests. You come up on this ridge and the guy you're supposed to tail is below you. He pulls up in a jeep to pick up some other dudes before heading to the vault. As he pulls up he stops and jumps out of the jeep to yell at the other guys to get in. Right as he does a rhino charges in from out of nowhere and kills the three guys waiting for the target. The target jumps back in the jeep and is trying to get the jeep turned around to get away but the Rhino flips the jeep, killing the target.

Mission objective changes to collect the guys key and head to the vault. I jump down to get the key but I was still laughing a bit from what happened that I wasn't paying attention and the rhino tagged and killed me. :downs:

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Sociopastry posted:

I love his comments when your guys go crazy, too. Expecially the selfish trait. "One must ensure survival at any cost." Usually said when my priest is busy healing herself when she's at full health while my Crusader is hurting.

I'm pretty sure the stuff they say for each madness/virtue is unique to the class, too - they could have just gone with a list of generic stuff, but instead you've got the Occultist rambling about dark and unknowable forces, the knight-templar guy talking about purification, and so on.
There might be overlap, I haven't paid attention (and generally don't end up with two people having the same madness at the same time), but there are certainly some lines that are specific to the class, and that is a nice touch (IMO)

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Evolve doesn't have a single player campaign, it's just multi-player with bots, so there's not really a story line.

However, during the game you'll get dialogue (most notably on the drop ship) that sometimes fills in the background details.

I'm currently working my way though tracker, and Maggie (the first tracker you can play as) apparently spent 2 years alone on the planet before being rescued, which is why she's so good at tracking, and I'm assuming also how she tamed Daisy, the dog like tracking monster she uses.

I haven't heard a ton of the other back stories, but I think it's pretty neat.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

AFewBricksShy posted:

Evolve doesn't have a single player campaign, it's just multi-player with bots, so there's not really a story line.

However, during the game you'll get dialogue (most notably on the drop ship) that sometimes fills in the background details.

I'm currently working my way though tracker, and Maggie (the first tracker you can play as) apparently spent 2 years alone on the planet before being rescued, which is why she's so good at tracking, and I'm assuming also how she tamed Daisy, the dog like tracking monster she uses.

Evolve has some great lines.
Bucket, the robot, has some of the best. Like when his party is wiped and he's running away:

"No human life signs detected in the area. :kimchi: Ahhhh. :kimchi:"

Or:
":byodood: Firing on target! Reloading! Vocalizing my internal monologue, I don't know why, I just want to fit in!"

Also, Abe does not want to be on Shear. He's pretty great, reminds me of Francis from Left4Dead.

Edit: Oh, my favorite Little Thing: If you tap Q, it'll put a waypoint marker for your teammates to see (useful for pointing out the monster). If you spam Q, one of the hunters will yell at you.
"Yea yea, I see it."

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 18:18 on Feb 16, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

Evolve has some great lines.
Bucket, the robot, has some of the best. Like when his party is wiped and he's running away:

"No human life signs detected in the area. :kimchi: Ahhhh. :kimchi:"

Or:
":byodood: Firing on target! Reloading! Vocalizing my internal monologue, I don't know why, I just want to fit in!"

Also, Abe does not want to be on Shear. He's pretty great, reminds me of Francis from Left4Dead.

Yeah, some of Bucket's lines are pretty great.

"Look, a bird swarm! Giant monster that way! Robot stating the obvious!"

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

AFewBricksShy posted:

She mentions in another one of those dialogues that she bought Daisy on at some station on the planet that exports wildlife.

They're nice little intros to matches, but to me they get a little repetitive because it seems like the same few play over and over.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I wish evolve didn't have such a godawful DLC setup because I really enjoyed the beta and would have bought the full game if they hadn't announced the entire game's launch price again in DLC, and with all the skins and poo poo they have too I think the DLC adds up to more than $60 already.

My favorite conversation I heard in the beta was maggie, hank and lazarus talking about hank's cooking. "What, you didn't like the grilled canyon eel?"

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I wish evolve didn't have such a godawful DLC setup because I really enjoyed the beta and would have bought the full game if they hadn't announced the entire game's launch price again in DLC, and with all the skins and poo poo they have too I think the DLC adds up to more than $60 already.

My favorite conversation I heard in the beta was maggie, hank and lazarus talking about hank's cooking. "What, you didn't like the grilled canyon eel?"

I just have a feeling that it's not gonna be long before they do a free weekend and knock it to like 33% off.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The good news about skins is that they're just skins and completely aesthetic and you aren't missing anything by not buying them.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'll take it with a grain of salt, but they said the future maps will be free, the future hunters will be DLC but you won't have to buy them to have other people playing them. If that holds true, I'm okay with the setup, you won't lock people out of using the new maps like the COD games do.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Len posted:

The good news about skins is that they're just skins and completely aesthetic and you aren't missing anything by not buying them.

The fact that people are salting about Evolve's DLC is really :psyduck: to me. Who cares? Nothing gameplay-related is in the store, not even cashsinks like XP Boosters that many F2P games have. Purely asthetics, in a game where typically your opponent sees you as a handful of pixels flying through the air after they punch your face in.

Monster skins I coulda kinda see since you're two stories tall, but hunters have weapon skins. But more importantly, why would you buy them or get mad that they're there? It's baffling.

The DLC that adds things doesn't yet; it adds the hunters/monster that will be added later like proper DLC. Nobody got mad about Saint's Row 3/4 having DLC that added content.

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 20:39 on Feb 16, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Evilreaver posted:

The fact that people are salting about Evolve's DLC is really :psyduck: to me. Who cares? Nothing gameplay-related is in the store, not even cashsinks like XP Boosters that many F2P games have. Purely asthetics, in a game where typically your opponent sees you as a handful of pixels flying through the air after they punch your face in.

Monster skins I coulda kinda see since you're two stories tall, but hunters have weapon skins. But more importantly, why would you buy them or get mad that they're there? It's baffling.

The DLC that adds things doesn't yet; it adds the hunters/monster that will be added later like proper DLC. Nobody got mad about Saint's Row 3/4 having DLC that added content.

It's a gimmicky multiplayer-only title that's retailing at $60 with day-one DLC. That's crummy enough on its own, let alone the fact that last time this happened we got Titanfall, and before that Brink.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I think people would be less pissed if they didn't basically come out and say "This game is $60 and we're gonna build it around having DLC since our families need to eat :qq:". If they had waited a week or two before releasing $100+ in DLC, even if its purely cosmetic, then things might have gone over better.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

It's a gimmicky multiplayer-only title that's retailing at $60 with day-one DLC. That's crummy enough on its own, let alone the fact that last time this happened we got Titanfall, and before that Brink.

This game is nowhere near gimmicky and you seem angry at skins that don't even matter. And since when is multiplayer only games a bad thing?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

hello, im here to post bad things about a game in the "post good things about a game" thread

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

4v1 class based Shooter

Of the 3 defining characteristics, 2 are gimmicks. It is mostly gimmick by volume.

That's science.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Did I fall through a portal to 2005 or are some idiots seriously butthurt about cosmetic DLC in 2015? Jesus Christ.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Ryoshi posted:

Did I fall through a portal to 2005 or are some idiots seriously butthurt about cosmetic DLC in 2015? Jesus Christ.

There is a buttload of idiots mad about this poo poo.

Since when did gamers become such little autists about everything?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ryoshi posted:

something being old-guard doesn't make it any less lovely, dumbass.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TontoCorazon posted:

There is a buttload of idiots mad about this poo poo.

Since when did gamers become such little autists about everything?

1968-

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I'm playing through Dark Souls blind, and I just noticed that among the summon signs outside boss doors, there are signs NPCs have apparently put down, too. I know it's probably to make the game easier if you're playing offline, but it helps make the world feel more lived-in, as if NPCs are actually running around doing the same poo poo you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evolve feels a bit content-light for $60, but not because it is DLC. It just... has a pretty small number of maps and environments. If they'd released it at $40 or even $20 and supplimented it with lots of cosmetic DLC it would probably be swallowed a lot better.