Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Babe Magnet posted:

The best menu option/setting for Xenoblade is the one on the console dashboard that ejects the game disc

You son of a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

But the core question is, are you Literally Sauron?

You are literally Celebrimbor, the guy who forged the other rings of power and you literally fight Sauron as the endboss

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

RubberLuffy posted:

Yeah I'm gonna hop on the Mordor lovetrain too. It's great.

Played for about 2 hours today, killed some captain called Dharg The Mountain. 10 minutes later I'm interrupting some Uruk slave train and loving up some other captain, when goddamn Dharg butts in to get his revenge, taunting me about how I "thought he was dead". So, I beat him down again. 15 minutes later I'm out just killing some random orcs, and who shows up again? My new friend, pissed off and planning to pay me back for his new scars. Another beatdown. 30 minutes later I'm doing a Power mission where I interrupt some captain's event, and I'm sneaking around behind a tent, hiding in a bush. Guess who strolls up to me, super pissed? So now I'm fighting 2 captains, and a bunch of underlings, but I still give Dharg another beatdown. He falls to his knees and it zooms in on him and he just says "The Mountain...crumbles." and I buried my sword in his face. I hope he's dead for good because drat, that's a great way to finish that "story".

So yeah, play this game, destroy mountains.

edit : fixed names

Orcs ain't dead unless you decapitate them/blow up their head, so The Mountain will eventually rise again.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Do they ever actually refer to it as the USA? I seem to remember them always saying "this country".

I like how This Country's manned spaceflight program is apparently a 5-man operation.

It explicitly takes place in California.
And they adapted Victor Kudo, the tailor who hangs out at a burger joint all day pretty well I think :v:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I'm in the same boat and I can't figure it the gently caress out. Usually I'm really uninterested in grinds and have zero issues tearing myself away from games, but I can't for the loving life of me get myself off the Hyrule Warriors bandwagon. I had to literally delete it from my console because I'm in school and I can't spend hours each day mashing x to smash up a dozen guys at a time, and it's just SO loving ADDICTIVE.

Rad as hell music plus really colorful graphics plus old school zelda references out the rear end plus lots of rewards and easy to understand mechanics make it hella addicting

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

Uh, what organs? Aren't they just a spine, a pair of eyes and brain beneath the robot body? :confused:

After the intro he's only a spine, one eye and a brain :v:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The joke in no way stops there. The only thing I know for real is that someone on the staff was a huge Camus fan.

I choose to believe they called that polearm "the stranger" as a masturbation joke.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

The first Mario Kart 8 DLC pack came out today, featuring Link and a Hyrule-themed track. On that track, they replaced all the coins with rupees and the usual piranha plants with deku babas.
What I like even more than that, though, is that Link is too tall for the karts and has to pull his knees up uncomfortably high to fit in. :3:

The item get jingle is a sped up chest opening fanfare and doo doo doo dooooot

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

In Far Cry 4 there is a lever action shotgun called the 1887, you can get a sawed off variant of it called the 87.

You can also get the german gun Han Solo's blaster is based off, without scope or long barrel/suppressor. The custom variant with the suppressor and scope? It's called the HS77.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Y'know, after stuff like Blood Dragon, Drive, and stuff, it's made me wonder why they haven't done an open-world game with an 80's aesthetic. Just letterman jackets and pastel neon lights and soundtrack done by the likes of Timecop1983 or Kavinsky.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

beato posted:

It's almost as if GTA Vice City never happened.

Yeah I almost wrote in Vice City but that was what, 10 years ago?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

MrJacobs posted:

Yeah cause the 80s have changed so much in 10 years.

My point is that I wish more games would start mining the 80's for their aesthetics instead of using the cliched near future dystopia they're always using.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The whole "neon underground" thing is basically steampunk for people who think they're too cool for steampunk.

Neon underground pastel synthwave retro Miami LA 80's or whatever it's called at least has some decent music going on for it.
All steampunk has going for it is nerds with seborrheic dermatitis.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

CJacobs posted:

There's a codec that explains why blood used to be white and why it's red now in Metal Gear-land but I can't be assed to find it. Just know that they do try to explain it with reasoning other than "Real Life Japan's violence in media laws have changed recently".

And the in-universe explanation is that the white blood required weekly dialysis while the red one doesn't.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Ignimbrite posted:

In Bayonetta 2 there's a log entry titled Rules of Nature :v:

And the boss with the huge sword's sword is made of valiantium and his entry states that it will one day be used by a group of heroes to save the galaxy.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Red Bones posted:

I'm playing Bravely Default at the moment, and very early on you're introduced to a party member with a mysterious journal full of future events. I thought it was nice that the journal isn't some kind of intangible plot object, and you can actually read it cover to cover the moment you get it. I haven't played far enough to know if the journal lines up with the actual plot in any particularly cool ways, but there's one entry that made me laugh. The writer talks about this picture he has of a girl, and how beautiful it is and what a wonderful smile she has, but when you actually see this picture in the journal, its just her looking like she's making a lovely halfassed attempt to pose for a photo:

I'm also impressed that this game manages to use a lot of Shakespearean sounding dialogue without screwing it up or making it seem really forced. They're really consistent using the same style of language throughout the game and the VAs deliver it well.

Ringabel is the best character in that game and the VA makes a great job at making him sound suave and sophisticated but also a dork.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

To prove how loving stupid space pirates are, the only reverse-engineering they managed were making pirates that fought slightly stronger weapons while also being weak to the very weapons they were using. Complete with color-coding.

Space Pirates are the dumbest.

To be fairer, they were trying to reverse engineer incredibly advanced technology that was also sprinkled with some literal magic :v:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Cleretic posted:

They varied in courage when you held them up, too, and the type of gun you used influenced the chances of them getting scared and giving you stuff. The tranq pistol would get a lot of people being brave, and you'd really have to push to get them to do much, but bigger, more obviously lethal weapons would have higher success rates.

The best weapon for holding people up? Rocket launcher.

I might be misremembering, but I don't think you can hold people up with the rocket launcher/explosive weapons in the latter MGS installments because come on, you're not gonna blow yourself up too, are you?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I don't know how anyone could think Sarif was a bad guy. He's kind of an arsehole who only looks at the big picture and doesn't really care about people as individuals, but his motives and goals are all good. And the whole deal with him giving Adam extra super powers without asking is just bullshit. Adam would be dead without augs, so why not get all this cool poo poo? I can see a case for "perfectly healthy people shouldn't have to get augmented to keep their jobs", that's a reasonable point, but Adam's choices were between getting augmented and dying. At that point what's the argument for not getting as much cool poo poo as possible?

I understand having your hosed up limb replaced, but ask me if I want to replace my perfectly functional human arm with highly experimental prototypical technology made only for killing I'd rather just keep ol' lefty.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I don't think it was an experimental prototype, tons of people in the game have them, and it's not made only for killing. It's much stronger than a normal human arm and has the built-in blades, and that certainly is an advantage for killing, but it's not the only thing you can do. It also makes tons of other stuff easier. I can't imagine why you would not want a super awesome robot arm.

Going by Deus Ex HR rules, because unless you're the one guy with magical genes, you're gonna be depending on drugs for the rest of your life lest you go crazy.
I'm just perfectly comfortable with my human arms.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
One of my favorite thing in games, especially RPGs and sadly it doesn't happen that often but when you're on your way to face the final boss or are facing the final boss and then it cuts to every single important NPC you met throughout the game praying for your and yours safe return and the prayers somehow reach you and empower you enough to decisively beat the final boss. It is loving fantastic.
Off the top of my head I can think of three games that do that; Paper Mario, Okami and of course, Earthbound.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

swamp waste posted:

The Batman game should not punish you for being too good at batmanning. This is hosed up

If it's the part I'm thinking of it's immaterial to just pop out and fear takedown 40% of the room immediately.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Don't know if it counts as a 'little' thing, per se, but I love villains that have motivations beyond "Ho ho ho I am evil and/or crazy". I just beat Infamous: Second Son yesterday, and the fact that the villain of the game truly believes what's she's doing is right is awesome to me.

For those who don't care about spoilers:
Through this game (and it's pseudo-pre-expansion, First Light), you learn of the Department of Unified Protection (the DUP), and how its leader is locking up all the Conduits with special powers behind walls, doing so in a fairly authoritative manner. It looks like she's simply the 'evil authority figure', especially since you play a wise-cracking smalltown delinquent. But in the climactic finale, you discover the reason she's doing all this is for the Conduits' protection: in the years following the emergence of the Conduits, so many died from lynchings, from fear, and from the military. She, a former member of the military herself, made a choice that the only way to keep them safe was to keep them locked away from those who would seek to kill everyone 'different'. I don't agree with her methods, but her reasons behind them...I sympathized with what she was trying to do, and almost disagreed with what the hero of the game, a Hero of Justice in my playthrough, ended up doing (expose her and dissolve the DUP).

So much better than someone who's all "Mweheheh gonna lock you all up and torture you because EVIL!" *twirls mustache*.

What she does to Dhelsin's family is just straight up torture you because EVIL!, though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Literally Kermit posted:

One more Five Nights at Freddy's 4 little thing: in all the previous games, the animatronics have had four or less digits on their hands; in FNaF4, their nightmare versions have five. This is because the kid you play as had his head forced into "FredBear", which bit down on the kid's head, damaging his frontal lobes and sending him into a nightmare filled coma.

His abusive big brother and his friends had done it only to scare him before they realized they had gone too far. Thing is, while they were picking up the kid and teasing him, they were all wearing masks of the characters from the restaurant.

So the nightmare versions the animatronics he is hiding from the whole game are a blend of the animatronics he's terrified of (another phobia his brother liked to exploit) and his big brother and friends, the bullies who teased and tormented him. Considering his last memory was being grabbed, it makes sense the nightmares would have five fingers!

Incidentally, that last bit is why the nightmares have such prominent, sharp teeth and huge jaws, and why later that Fredbear (Golden Freddy) and variations of him seem to take over as the main antagonists. The final boss fight was over before the game even started. :smith:

There's a bunch of little details like that used to tell the story in this game, unlike the first which had clippings of hidden news articles that flat out told the backstory. The one that sets it apart from the other three is there's nothing really supernatural about it at all, it just happened to happen the same week of the murders. The Fredbear animatronic wasn't strictly at fault, and the stupid kids weren't trying to lobotomize anyone. Sometimes bad poo poo happens.

That's it for Freddy posts, I'm already stretching the definition of "little things". I don't think there is a thread for it and from what the internet shows me, I don't want there to be. I can't even watch the Let's Plays without turning down the volume and standing on the other end of a well-lit room. goddamn. :jiggled:

Is there an LP of the game that does not have an annoying shrieking rear end in a top hat in the corner of the screen reacting like a bitchmade babyman to everything happening? I'm curious now.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Look up HarshlyCritical's stuff. He's got the face-cam thing going on, but his whole gimmick is he plays horror games like an actual adult instead of like a side-character in a Casper the Friendly Ghost short.

For a moment I felt hopeful but then I remembered this is not the same guy as Cr1tikal

EDIT: Thank god he's reading every bit of text out loud because I am illiterate.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

CJacobs posted:

You asked for a dude that's not a shrieking moron and you got one

Ok, let me rephrase. Is there a video of the game with absolutely no other type of human appearing either aurally or in a corner of the screen? Just the game, nothing else. Like a longplay, I guess.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Edmond Dantes posted:

That's right! Run, you bastards! I'M COMING FOR YOU ALL!
Such a great moment. :allears:

It's a drat shame that the grenade launcher itself feels unsatisfying as all hell.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Ground Zeroes has a collectible I really like; the identifying patches of XOF, the black ops unit that threw them off their chopper when they left the military base Ground Zeroes is set in to go gently caress up Mother Base. The patches are a little hard to see, but you can get the locations of eight of them by interrogating guards, so it's not too bad. The last one, though...

It landed on Snake's back. You see it in the opening cutscene, and if you look, it's always there on his pouch. All you have to do is roll around a bunch to get it off your back.

The best part is that it's preceded by a really melodramatic cutscene of Snake rolling intercut with flashbacks of the patch lazily floating down and landing on Snake's back.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Arstan posted:

According to The Washington Post's review, Quiet is infected with a parasite that requires her to absorb oxygen and water through her skin to stay alive.

I like to think they handed Kojima two concept art sheets, one with Quiet wearing a cool jury-rigged diver's suit full of water and meshes that like, enable oxygen absorption or something, all covered in moss and plants and stuff, and he loving loved it and was gonna implement it but then the second sheet just had titty Quiet and he quickly crumpled up the previous one and went with that

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Does the Kojima Guy Who Poops His Pants make an appearance?

Cause lmao he poops his pants!!

I don't think so, because his grandfather who showed up in MGS3 is probably too old to do much and he himself is probably too young to be pooping his pants out in the battlefield instead of a classroom.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

oldpainless posted:

In The Witcher 3 when you are helping the Bloody Baron showing a miscarried fetus crawling out of the ground toward you is a fantastic way to end other peoples conversation and allow the room to really embrace the story-telling

This is why I think mgsv has some serious loving competition for goty because the writing in the Witcher really was outstanding

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Alteisen posted:

I was very worried about the companions but apparently if they "die" they simply get extracted and can't be used for a period till they heal makes me WAY calmer about using D-dog. :unsmith:

D-Horse is one tough motherfucker. Dude got shot by tanks at least three times, collapsed, and got up and kept sprinting every single time. A true soldier.

Another MGSV thing: You got D-Dog, a dog buddy who scouts and marks out enemies and animals and stuff for you. Marking an enemy is accompanied by a soft, cartoony "pop".

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
You can equip up to four arms in MGSV. Two primary arms (stuff like rifles, shotguns, and rocket launchers) and two secondary arms, one of which is handguns or SMGs.
The other secondary arm is your bionic roboarm.
Your default bionic roboarm has this attack wherein if you're sprinting and hit the attack button, you'll do a running punch attack which instantly floors any type of soldier or animal.
Said punch is accompanied by the Six Million Dollar Man sound effect, you know the one.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Vic posted:

At one point you're going to fight the man on fire (this is no spoiler shut up) and when you try to fulton him and succeed, he goes up and Ocelot goes "He burned the ropes, thank god"

Before you fight the man on fire you can design a water gun. Supposedly takes 50 shots to down him.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Vic posted:

I'm 81 hours into MGSV, and I've finished the story. So I'm like drat 81 hours, still a ton of content to play around with, what a... Wait what? Chapter 2? Wait all this was just the first chapter? And new gameplay mechanics? "Boss you can now develop nuclear warheads."

The gently caress did you just say?

They're for FOBs, and it basically means you can't be invaded unless the invader has 150000 heroism and if they fail, you can completely wipe their fob off the phase of the earth. They cost a metric shitload of gmp and a literal day of playing to develop.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

Once again; there's no need to play Ground Zeroes as it's routinely summarized multiple times in 5.

A gold bionic arm and the possibility of having Hideo Kojima in your staff early on.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Actually, it wasn't the fact that Huey's history's greatest monster to put Otacon off his dad, it's that he didn't like Hal wasting his time watching them Japanese toons.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Polaron posted:

One of the things Destiny got criticized for was how you needed to grind the Strikes (big missions requiring a team) to get anything and how that got really repetitive really quickly.

All of the Taken King Strikes seem to have multiple variations that can be played through, including different dialogue and even different enemies/objectives.

For example, one Strike on Mars requires you to fight your way up a skyscraper filled with enemies. The first time through, one of the objectives involved destroying these giant gun turrets and the place was filled with evil robots called Vex. My second time through, the gun turrets were gone (since they belonged to the Vex) and I had to fight my way through a running firefight between the Cabal (giant space marine walrus rhinos) and Taken (the new enemy faction made up of members of the other factions).

It really goes a long way towards making things feel less repetitive.

The SABER strike has a lot of differing dialogue for your Ghost, too. In one instance he complimented Rasputin (an AI defense weapon that is super important to the world because he basically has tons of hidden space weapons everywhere) on living in a giant bunker full of defense mechanisms while lamenting that he lives in your backpack.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

LawfulWaffle posted:

In Destiny: The Taken King, I really like how the various factions are distinctly different and will engage in fire-fights between themselves on the different planets. I like the design of the enemies (expect for the fact that the Fallen have four arms and don't do anything special with two of them. Why do people keep making races with four arms and not thinking about ways those races would use the extra limbs??) and the new Taken enemies are basically a group of corrupted soldiers from all four other races with unique spins on all the enemies' abilities. Another thing I like is how they'll stop shooting at each other (for the most part) and focus on you when you wade into their battle, I'm assuming because they recognize how much more powerful and competent you as a Guardian are at killing them than they are at killing you or each other. Be afraid, xeno-scum. Be very afraid.

Captains and stealth vandals hold four swords I'm fairly sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Alteisen posted:

Rex was so well built that even severely battle damaged it still took out another Metal Gear that was designed entirely to destroy Rex.

Though I guess the pilot might have had something to do with that as well.

Hal actually made the Rex weaker than it should be, what with the broken radome forcing an exposed cockpit deal. But then again he also secretly installed a street fighting program so it could karate kick fools.
And Sahalanthropus (big spoilers) Can't actually move on its own, it's manipulated and moved by psycho mantis