Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Febreeze posted:

God the level of detail in Prime was so good. In regards to the arms cannon, each one has a hand symbol attached to it, it's very easy to not notice at all but when you use the X-ray visor and look at your beam cannon hand, you realize the hand symbols are how her hand is controlling the beams. She changes her finger positions when she switches between beams.

It took me like 3 playthroughs to even notice that.

What sucks is that as good as Metroid Prime: Trilogy for Nintendo Wii is, this is gone.

Because of the changes they had to make to go from control via a Gamecube controller to a Wiimote, you aren't able to look down at your arms anymore. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Praetorian Mage posted:

You also didn't get to see it on a uniform; you saw them in the in-game datapad which was divided into sections for each campaign. I think it was much better to be able to see all your stuff at once, so that was disappointing.

Yeah, but TIE Fighter did have that sick-rear end arm tattoo that got more and more grandiose each time you ranked up in the Emperor's Circle, or whatever it was called.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

God, I am a dumb.

Now to find the disks and manual from 20 years ago...

Good luck.

I have the CD version, and I've never gotten it to work perfectly inside DOSBox. The biggest problem I have is getting mouse and joystick support. There is frequent "drifting" of your ship and the cursor. I can eventually get it to go away for a while, then it comes back.

But maybe you'll have better luck than me.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Bushido Blade remake lookin' good.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Resident Evil 4 has, to me, the most satisfying NG+ in any game, aside from Mario 3.

Back the gently caress up a minute.

Mario 3 has a NG+ mode?!

Also, the best NG+ mode is actually the orginal Legend of Zelda.

"Oh, you think you've got every dungeon location, secret door, heart container, etc... memorized? Yeah, gently caress you."

Still never beaten it after all these years...I mean, I could if I just used a walkthrough, but I didn't need one to beat the original mode when I was 8, and I don't need one now! :mad:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Fizbin posted:

You can actually just Alt+F4 whenever; it'll save and close out. It won't give you a "you may have lost progress by not saving" pop-up, unless you do it during a load screen.

I may be wrong, but I think by doing that your character stays "logged in" for a while after you quit. So there's the teeny tiny chance someone could invade you in that short period and kill you, then when you loaded you'd be back at a bonfire with no souls and no idea why.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I don't know what made me think of this now, but I liked that in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, the whole game was basically you telling a story to someone. When you loaded up a save, it would start with you saying something like,
"Alright,t now where were we?"

And if you died and reloaded, you'd go,
"No wait...that's not what happened."

Then the twist at the end is that you're telling this story to the princess, who you meet early on in the game and helps you out, but then like 99% of the game doesn't actually happen because you put the Sands of time back, so she doesn't know you or believe your cockamamie story.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Red Minjo posted:

Seriously. I knew that modding your weapons gave you the old mod back, but I wasn't creative enough to use that to my advantage.

It's also not immediately obvious you have the mod back. When you're adding a mod to a weapon that you already have, it still shows it as "needing" the upgrade materials in that part of the craft window.

The only indication you actually aren't going to craft it and use up those materials is that the "craft" prompt at the bottom of the screen is replaced by "equip."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

chaos rhames posted:

The Mound Makers are a great covenant for funhaving. You're basically hostile to everyone, so you can do regular pvp, complicate existing fights, act like a co-op dude and fight enemies until you change your mind, or best of all, kite enemies into your world's host and watch a gank squad get pulverised by giant monsters. It's a great twist on the online interactions in the series.

Agreed. My favorite method so far is in the Catacombs:

I run to the rope bridge and trigger the giant skeleton mob. A couple times, even though I was likely closer just across the bridge, they all ran to the host. Other times I've cut the bridge so they HAVE to go to him, though it does make for a passive experience. But I also cut the host off from being able to reach the boss until he uses a bonfire, which he can't do until I leave or die, so I'll likely win. But most of the time I go halfway across then run back so I have a giant skeleton posse behind me.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

TontoCorazon posted:

Ha that's awesome

Yeah, too bad they're gated behind playing hours and hours of multiplayer before you can unlock them.

Or, unlock NOW with micro-transactions!

I mean...don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'll end up playing enough multiplayer to unlock things, and it's not like it wasn't that was in 2+3, it's still just a little annoying.

Though I can't remember if 2 or 3 had any micro-transactions to unlock things right away or if it was only through the MP?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

There's a fun little joke in the Cemetery level in Uncharted 4.

Super minor spoilers, I guess? Not worth a spoiler tag.

You and your brother are looking for a specific tombstone. There are several look-allies, and you can potentially find one that's almost perfect, but has the wrong years.

So Nathan quips,
"Bad dates," and Sam gives a little chuckle.

Not a laugh-out-loud joke, but I appreciated the quasi self-referential/meta-ness of it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Mondian posted:

Never played Symphony of the Night? Crissaegrim is a rare drop off an insignificant trash mob that looks mediocre on paper until you try it out

Maybe it's because I played it in the grim days before limitless access to forums, faqs, and guides, but getting that was a surprise I'll never forget. Also the fact that it totally trivializes the entire game as soon as you get it, I can't really think of another game with quite so overpowered a weapon.

Yeah, it's actual attack value is less than a lot of other weapons, but then you use it and realize that every press of the attack button is like 3 or 4 swings, and it attacks so fast you can just button mash it and get in like 10 hits in a 1 second span.

But yeah, it takes most of the challenge of the game away...not that there's a ton of challenge usually left by that point anyway, since you generally have enough HP and stats to wreck anything except an occasional giant, tank-rear end knight. Even bosses go down pretty quickly, with the exception of Galamoth cause holy poo poo gently caress that guy.

But if you want Cheese Mode that's even cheesier than Crissaegrim, you can equip the Shield Rod with the Alucard Shield, and then hit square+circle together, and then just hold up the ALucard shield to do massive damage to anything it touches for the next 20 seconds or so. Even takes down Galamoth in only a few uses.

Action Tortoise posted:

dead rising 2

fashion souls is really fun in this game.

YOU KNOW ME
THE FIGHTING FREAK

Scary Terry?
Edit: Bitch!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Pretty much all of the Halloween-themed stuff for Overwatch is great.

So much better than the lovely Olympic-themed stuff.

But, I mean...how can you compete with Halloween? King of the Holidays!

There will likely be winter/Christmas/Hanukkah/Festivus themed stuff i December, too. Still won't be as good as Halloween stuff, but I'm sure it will be fun.

I also like that you can keep using the holiday/event themed sprays/skins/whatever past the holiday. I know some games do holiday themed stuff but once the holiday is done they go away for good.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Tempest_56 posted:

It worked fairly well in City of Heroes - there were already pre-existing billboards scattered. Since it was a modern (if fictionalized) city, so seeing a billboard for Coke or the new Tony Hawk game as you flew past was entirely natural. When the actual advertising money stopped, the billboards were just replaced with ads for in-game background companies, like personal injury attorneys that went after superpower-related accidents or superspeed-themed energy drinks. It worked pretty great, even if I doubt it was even slightly worthwhile in terms of advertising dollars.

I liked that one of the in-game companies was called "City of Gyros."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Internet Wizard posted:

What the hell kind of messed up country are you from where Greensleeves is the ice cream truck song

Right?

Ice Cream Trucks have either Turkey in the Straw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lpK9Knsvz4

The Entertainer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgN6IuRZ9Ro

Or wild card option, Pop Goes the Weasel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voExyzFnTVE

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Morpheus posted:

or try to foolishly take on a black moblin, the game will remind you that this is a very different beast.

Why's the Moblin gotta be black?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

The map in Fallen Order is very well done. It's 3D, fully rotatable and lets you highlight specific levels of elevation to see where you need to go. In addition to that, it will also clearly mark where you can and can't go. Plus, once you unlock a new travel mechanic, the map will change so the area that was locked off (marked in red) will now show up as available and unexplored(Yellow).

It's a little thing but it works so well that I hope other people steal it.

Metroid Prime's maps were really well done ,especially for an early 2000's game. I haven't played Fallen Order yet, and I assume those are better since it's been 15/16 years, but the ones in MP were rotatable, zoomable, you could see what color the doors were (i.e. what beam was needed to open them) etc...

And also, the music when you fought the Chorizo Ghosts was :krad:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I'm getting back into Far Cry 5, because I had some life events shortly after I purchased it so i never got very far.

I appreciate that you only have to climb 1 freaking tower, I honestly hated that in Far Cry 3 and 4. I also like that it's very easy to get from Point A to Point B. It wasn't so bad in FC3, only a couple of the mountains were impassable, but God-drat, in FC4 you always had to go so far out of your way because a huge mountain was in the way even if the actual distance was only like 300m. It got to the point I always tried to get everywhere with one of those gyro-copters, though even though didn't always work cause if they got too high the engine would stall out.

FC5 is also the first one (of those 3, never played the OG or 2) where it kind-of-almost-makes-sense your character knows how to do at least SOME of the things he does. You're a Sheriff's deputy, though just a rookie, but at least in theory you would have had SOME weapons training, maybe some extreme driving courses, etc...More training than a random extreme sports guy or a...uhh...nothing guy? Seriously, was their any backstory to your character in FC4 other than "Mom died, returning her ashes to the homeland"?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

What about intentional funny/jokier bad endings? Those are always entertaining to find. Super Paper Mario is a good one, you can just choose to be a lazy rear end right up front and just let things go to poo poo.

Far Cry 4.

At the start of the game, you're in the fictional country of Kyrat (basically Not-Tibet) that's controlled by a dictator, Pagan Min, who's a skinny Kim Jong-Un with better fashion sense.

You're in the country to spread your mother's ashes on a sacred shrine, but get captured by Pagan Min (you're hitching a ride with some freedom fighters and the convoy is attacked by Pagan's army.)

You're then just in his palace, and he goes on and on about the dumplings and how you should eat them, while he then takes the rebellion leader you're with to another room to kill him, and he says he'll be back in ten minutes.

The normal course of gameplay is for you to escape. But if you just sit and wait fie or ten minutes, he does come back.
He then explains he knew your mother and they were lovers until she met your father (who died when you were a baby or before you were born,) and takes you in a helicopter to the shrine, you spread your mom's ashes, then you just get back on the helicopter, he says something about hanging out and shooting guns, and the game ends.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 16:53 on Jan 31, 2020

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

The backstory of the planet concerns an apocalyptic war between scientists and magic users, but neither side is credited with whatever the hell those crazy things are. I don’t think there’s any lore on them at all.

drat, I must have missed where it said that. I just assumed it was a robot world because that's all you ever see there, but I guess it's just the robots left over from all the biological life killing each other?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Speaking of Control, just started playing it (thank you, free PS+ game,) and I love that one of the papers you collect early on implies that the FBC created The X-Files as a way to get the public to be less likely to believe in weird government conspiracies/paranormal stuff.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, probably the most obvious one is the Moonlight Sword which already appeared in the OG King's Field and which was From's first video game. It was a mainstay in the KF series since as well.

It's even in 3D Dot Game Heroes:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

I always go tame the white Arabian as soon as it's feasible for me to head up into the mountains. And then I name her Guinevere.

:rip:

I named mine Felicity.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Edit: Ignore

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

I know he's been all over the marketing for the game and we've already seen him a bunch but after putting some time into Far Cry 6, I can confidently say that I would die for Chorizo

I have to buy this game for Chorizo alone, don't I?

Because...well...of this little piece of poo poo that wakes me up at 6 AM every day for his "constitutionals":
https://i.imgur.com/tMbTRyv.mp4

Edit: Also that's cool about the guns. Good to see the weapons are getting on board the "pretty princess dress-up" train as well.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

In Elden Ring, there are lots of sheep and goats everywhere, and they ROLL away from you if you miss your attack or just spook them.

It's gloriously stupid and I love it. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9sgQO87R3A

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Triarii posted:

That's debatable because every single wall that's even vaguely flat enough to look like it might hide a secret passage will have a "hidden path ahead" message in front of it, and you'll probably be numb to them after a while.

At least in my experience most of those also have a "Liar ahead" message BUT I still smack my sword against a lot of walls, haven't found any yet even though just from reading spoilers I know there are some somewhere.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Cleretic posted:

So are centipedes a known horrifying thing in Japanese culture, or is it just one guy at From software that went hog wild on horrifying centipedes in Sekiro?

Because if it's the latter, that person needs a promotion, they understand what they're doing.

Not just Sekiro, seems like almost all recent FromSoft games have some kind of centipede-esque enemy.

Dark Souls 1 had the Centipede Demon boss.
Dark Souls 3 (I think) had some cellar area filled with waist deep water that had weird monsters that were like half woman, half house centipede.
Bloodborne had the Celestial Centipedes.
Not familiar with Sekiro, but apparently that has them, as well.
And in Elden Ring there's both centipede-people (i.e. centipede like monsters that are human sized that LOVE to shoot a bunch of bullshit at you) AND people-centipedes (i.e., a large centipede type monster. but each "segment" is a human torso.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Holy poo poo I just realized why the Caelid crows look so familiar.

They're literally just Charlie Kelly's birds with teeth:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

haveblue posted:

I just love that elden ring actually has hosed up little men

Elden Ring has, like, half a dozen variety of hosed up little men.
Vulgar Militia
Demihumans
Misbegotten
Whatever race the traveling merchants are
Albinaurics
Probably more?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

Starship Troopers: Extermination is a new 16 player coop shooter in Early Access.

If a player is killed by a bug they have a 20 second timer for you to revive them. If you’re too late and arrive at the body you are given the option to ‘Present Arms’.

Doing so has your character salute the still warm body. You even get 7 xp for doing so.

They should add a feature where if you're getting eaten by a bug, but aren't dead yet, you can issue to
"Do it, Rico!" command to have a teammate kill you.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I love that in Rogue Legacy 2 the different classes actually have different weapons now. The little "Metroid Screw Attack" the Barbarian does with his axe is great.

One run, I also got a relic(?) that let me perpetually fly if I hit jump again while jumping (as if I was going to do a double jump) and since I also was the barbarian, it was just permanent spinny-axe-attack while I just flew around the rooms. The down side was all the dang projectiles were still hitting me, and the relic also came with like a 75% damage dealt to me increase. But it was still real fun!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Vic posted:

You can use these as nunchakus

Beaten to the punch in 1991:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiFdWod9Ql4

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

haven't plahyed any of BG3 yet, but having fun reading all the ways people are stretching the rules to the limit:
https://twitter.com/EllohimeTwitch/status/1689726730628435969

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Give me a Flumph, cowards!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

JPrime posted:

you can summon them as karlach if you go the wild magic route with her

Nice, box checked.

Now what about Modrons?

I'll accept these 5e designs, but I really want those goofy-rear end 1st edition ones;

This last guy is JUST what I need to finish that shelf I'm building...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Randalor posted:

Weren't those "5th edition" designs from as early as 2nd/3rd edition? I know Planescape Torment had the clockwork Modron in it already.

Maybe. I just copied an image on a wiki that implied they were from fifth.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

bawk posted:

The other is Alfira, the Bard who nobody seems to like. She had a single potato. :allears: I'm sure that's just what "people with nothing to trade" will have on offer, but I laughed out loud

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Arkham Origins multiplayer was extremely cool and good - 2 teams of 4, Joker vs Bane's gang, and a Batman & Robin team. Gangs win by killing the other gang enough times, Batman & Robin win through getting a certain number of takedowns. Each team had unique gadgets and opportunity to get a super mode where Bane or Joker knock on a door and if you answer it you can play as them.

It was just really fun and unique, I miss it

I never played AO's multiplayer, but I DID play "Gotham City Imposters" for a while. It was hella fun, one of my favorite "sort of TF2 clone" style of games from the late early teens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What games go overboard with the stats and modifiers, and what does them right?

Most of Control's modifiers went overboard. Not just a paltry percentage amount, but they would often have absurd qualifications, like:
"+3% damage to flying enemies when you are flying"