Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ImpAtom posted:

All the damage is based off things that happen in cutscenes.

Yeah, I know. I play Batman in a perfect concert of flipping and punching. Getting punked by some chump in a cutscene ruins my immersion and forces me to write pages and pages on the WB forums about how DARE they not make MY Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Babe Magnet posted:

You will face many opponents in Way of the Samurai 4. You will defeat most of them.

Looks like this is on Steam. I liked the first one. How is 4?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Secret Of Mana lets you do that as well.
Earthbound gives you many garish neon choices.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Male Man posted:

I need a game that lets me play in wingdings.

Try Microsoft Word.
It's kind of like a Write Your Own Adventure game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Man, I never bothered with 4 but TPP is sounding really good.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Even in the early game, the driving is hefty and pretty impactful. I'm digging it a ton.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mad Max is loving fun.
One thing I love is that they have Arkham style melee combat. However, Max is not an expert martial artist. If you block a strike coming to your back, Max will just clench up and do his best to absorb the blow.
It's feels very realistic and desperate.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Aphrodite posted:

It is kind of silly that some camps have insignia you can only reach with the gun, but no ammo in them at all though.

Gas cans and boomsticks, my friend.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I beat MG3 with ought knowing that sneaking was done on the D-pad :(

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

In Warframe there are 3 basic damage types: Slash, puncture and impact.
The first bow weapon did high puncture damage that would pin space pirates to the wall. Later, they released one that did mostly slash. Its arrows would slice people in two and easily decapitate even the big guys. What I like is that the arrow head isn't a point, it's a fanned blade.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah and if you had a damage aura and superspeed you could zoom around in a minute and take out every small-medium object before the first fight.

gently caress I miss that game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Alteisen posted:

Yea AC really peaked with 2 and Ezio's story, I honestly an HD collection of those.

One of the things I liked the best in revelations was the little touches in Ezio's animations showing he was getting old especially in combat.

Was it 2 that had the assassination multiplayer? I'm not a fan of the series but I loved the gently caress out of it with friends. Somewhat reminded me of Chaos Theory MP which, to this day, was some of the most fun and tense MP in my opinion.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

McDragon posted:

You can cram an entire wrecked house into your pockets in Fallout 4.

Why did they put the Sims into Fallout? It sucked me in enough already. Whoever thought that one up is an evil genius.

It's practically all I've done and I loving love it
The fact that you can move pieces around for free is great or even store them forever instead of tearing it down and rebuilding.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ravenfood posted:

Similarly, I like games that don't have a set inversion for controllers but have a tutorial that says "okay, look up" without telling you whether forward or backward on the stick is "up" and sets your inversion to that setting since its what feels natural to the player. I can't think of one off the top of my head, but I know I played one or two that way.

The first Halo did that. Pretty drat clever.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RagnarokAngel posted:

Fallout 4 really outdid itself compared to past Bethesda games when it comes to the idle animations. I was in a factory earlier and once we cleared the place out Piper leaned on one of the guard rails and looked around, it all looks really neat.

Although I laugh when I see the same drat crafting animation from Skyrim when NPCs use crafting benches.

Preston, whiny little rear end in a top hat that he is, will do his best to get out of your way. If you go into a shop or something he will post up outside sometimes and make sure the wall stays up with his back.
Yeah, I know all the humanoid ones do that but he just looks so good with his basic outfit.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

FO4:

I always play these games as a sneaky thief type. Once running doesn't affect stealth, it becomes exceptionally easy.
One new thing I like is that enemies that see you but then lose track of you will fire a little bit into your last known location. Of course a paranoid raider would take probing shots into the woods. This is a very neat effect but imagine my surprise when one did it carrying a Fat Man :stare:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

McDragon posted:

It took me a while to figure out how power works in settlements, and I'm still not entirely sure I've got it completely, but I managed to stick a disco ball over the top of my Power Armor crafting thing.

Also with the Power Armor, I like that it changes all the HUD and stuff, and getting rid of fall damage is just great. It's a pain having to get out to do lots of things though so I tend to leave it at home so far and save it for big fortified locations. It is tremendously good fun though.

For most if the lights, they just need a nearby conduit. Individual bulbs don't have to be wired.

I'll post some shots later but I decided to move my operation to Starlight Drive-In.
I've circled the entire thing with junk fences, have a huge farm, plenty of turrets (with surprisingly good range), and a gate to let in my caravans.

The jewel of the setup is the gate that funnels raiders through a serpentine hallway to slow them down and then are forced to exit into an open-air plaza with turrets on top pointing down. It's a lovely little kill box. If any of them manage to escape, a laser tripwire sets off a siren that makes every settler rush to the forward position and take cover. Now, if only I got attacked more often...

Guys, Fallout 4 is really good.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

To be fair, you are some sort of God that vacuums up dangerous materials and store them in a sky vault. I'm lugging around a ton of radioactive components but take no Rad damage. Okay.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Around The Fens there is plenty of random fighting so cars routinely explode. A patrolling BoS until will gently caress up a whole city block just to kill one mutant. I love it.

I stumbled across the ship town because a Brotherhood unit pissed off a Raider that ran there for cover. Two huge hulks rain laser death at the entrance (while Valentine tries his best :3:) and proceed to stomp across the narrow floating bridge. They get about half-way and fall off. I just see a stream of bubbles and thought they died.
Nope, they are walking across the ocean floor grumbling about raiders.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Some may hate the idea but I LOVE that generic containers and unclaimed areas respawn enemies.
In the SE there is the Culp (?) Manor house that you can claim. In the front there is a cement pedestal that just begs for a suit of Power Armor as a statue (and thats what ive done). Once the BoS roll into town, there is almost always a fight between them and Super Mutants near the house. Easy pickings for miniguns and laser weapons. On the other side of the gate there is an Assultron and a Mr. Gutsy that poo poo out valuable components.
I swing by that place every now and then.

It does piss me off that it's next to the water but the boundary is so close that you can't use a large water purifier.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh god I had forgotten how much better they are. They flop around and are really unpredictable in their movement.
I'm shotgunning the best that I can but there will always be one that ducks my shot and bites my feet. gently caress!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Because VATS now just slows down time, the chace-to-hit updates as they move. Knowing the big bad is rushing out of cover, you can pop VATS and line up your shots just as his head comes into view. Makes me feel like a John Woo character. Same goes for shooting grenades. You can't wait forever so you still need good reflexes.

There is a perk where, after tagging materials for search, it will highlight items that have that component. This also applies to containers even if they are locked. However, I missed out on a couple things because I got too conditioned to only pick up the stuff that was highlighted.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

muscles like this? posted:

You have to highlight a person and then there will be a thing on the bottom of the screen that tells you what button to press to create a trade route.

And trade routes are simpler than you may imagine. If every settlement feeds into Sanctuary Hills, they will all share resources. No need to make a big circuit.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Will settlers pick up and use armor and weapons if I just throw them on the ground?

The Drive-In is getting busy and I'm not gonna go equipping everyone.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Huh, unless you are me and it switched to Dogmeat right after I got him.

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Nov 20, 2015

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Aphrodite posted:

So that's how you skip? You press the direction button?

Yep, just hammer away and see how annoyed your character can get.
Gaming media can get gently caress with their 2/5 stars. FO4 is a treasure.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

flatluigi posted:

There isn't a single review on metacritic for any platform under 3/5.

I thought The Guardian gave it two but it looks like my memory is faulty.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just Cause 3

Been toying around with the physics engine. Tied a car front and back to two polls, stood on top, retracted the lines and detached at the apex to send myself and the car skywards like a slingshot.

We fly up and up and up...
And then turn over. Rico lands head first into the pavement and the car smashes him back into the ground.
He stands up and exclaims,
:smug: "Another perfect parking job" :smug:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My favorite was (Something) the Literate.
Dressed well and spoke like a studious human.

One of my mind-controlled dudes killed him and never showed up again :(

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Trainmonk posted:

I cant even find out anything about the game. I wanna see a screenshot or something, it sounds funny.

There's next to nothing written about it online. Only a few handfuls of copies were made and ran notoriously bad.

That being said, the senerio resolution where Phoebe admits that she needs music lessons but, to afford them, must surrender her body to medical research was inspired. It's was like a one person Gift of The Magi.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Trainmonk posted:

Okay you guys are making poo poo up.

Stop projecting you insecurities.
Who are you, Chandler after he gets drunk and puts on a dress as a goof but something awakens in him and he realizes he may be more like his father than he ever imagined?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

bunnyofdoom posted:

I am actually surprised they managed to get the coke orgy gameplay in without getting an AO rating.

That's because the whole scene is implied. If you look closely, the only nipples you see are on the men and pre-surgery Monica which, by 90s standards, was a man.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Remember the Extended Adventure that played off the episode where Joey and Ross take naps together?

It was so cute when they got matching caps and slippers. Chandler walks in on them and they have to pretend like they've started a gang.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kanfy posted:

While KotOR definitely does it well, Planescape: Torment is probably still the king when it comes to giving you the option of being evil and cruel in a way that can at times be genuinely upsetting. If you're someone who feels bad doing bad stuff in a video game, bringing Dak'kon along as a party member and talking to him while playing an evil Nameless One is guaranteed to make you feel absolutely miserable.

:stare:
You made me remember!
I want to forget!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

scamtank posted:

He's torn apart by the fact that an old incarnation of yours caught him at such a weak moment that he did the super-duper-haraam thing of his race and swore lifelong fealty to you for a rescue.

You can almost literally yank his chains.

If you're evil you can antagonize him about it and he will always follow you because his honor is iron-clad.
His sadness was too much for me to bate. I had to start being nice to him.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I was hoping the the invasion mechanic in Dying Light meant you took over one of the specials in another players game BUT it seems like you just spawn in and a sub-game of killing hives plays out instead.

It's still fun but 1/2 of the time the humans will run to a safehouse and log out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tsunemori posted:

It's pretty funny because in the previous games, moving things wasn't counted as an action, so you could actually move things out of someone's sight and then steal them without getting caught.

In Fallout 4 I found a robot manning a store and he told me "I spent the last 80 years keeping this store neat! Don't you dare touch anything!!!" Well I thought heh, watch me!

I moved one can and got a flamethrower in the face.

That Mr. Handy is a special case. Once you fix the programming, he doesn't care. It's just that each store has some little gimmick.
You can still shove all sorts of poo poo around and steal it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

poo poo, that is good.
I am too stupid to come up with anything good.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I brought this point up with some friends that I play games with and I think it applies here:

If you are playing a game like D&D, you are at the mercy of the dice for better or worse. If you roll like poo poo during a session, your Cleric is going to get messed up and you're going to have to adjust.

I view video games the same way. Unless I know it's a bullshit fake choice, I will accept failure and roll with it. If I flub an attack or piss off a character by saying something they don't like (this is not saying something "wrong") then I will try something else. I don't k ow of any video game where you can fail a random chance and not be able to beat the game. it may be insensitive but anyone that complains about "suboptimal play" is always autistic.

The biggest difference is that a tabletop allows for more choice and variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It's dumb confirmation bias but the percentage chance in XCOM never felt right. 90% chance to hit should not miss 40% of the time.