Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Alhazred posted:

The way you save your game in Ico:

:3:
:raise: An ancient stone... loveseat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Spalec posted:

I've never heard "Well done (not really, you suck)" done so well in musical form.
Kirby Triple Deluxe does something similar in the end-of-level bonus game. If you ace the game, Kirby will do his little dance, accompanied by music. If you do okay, he does a shortened version of the dance, accompanied by a shorter, softer version of the song. If you really fail, though, he starts doing the dance, but his expression rapidly wilts, and he dances less and less energetically until he just sort of sags at the end. I think it's the same tune as the okay result, but the way he dances leaves you feeling very 'you tried' about the whole thing.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Strategic Tea posted:

Destiny kind of does - it's like Mass effect's codex. But for some bizarre reason you can only access it via companion apps/external wikis :shrug:

It's still fantasy in space (:science: LIGHT) more than sci-fi, but honestly I enjoy the balls to the wall space magic. It's a nice change from oh-er-nanites-er...
I'm reminded of a quote from Speedball's LPs of both Civilization V and XCOM: Enemy Within:

quote:

BULLSHIT. Psychic powers do not and have never existed and there is no scientific basis for them. Larry Niven just wrote psychics into all his hard SF stories because even he wanted space wizards. Unless you can get a scientist or twelve out here to write a whole bunch of math that I can understand about which of the four fundamental forces of nature account for shooting glowy poo poo out of your head, it's loving magic and aliens are evil sorcerers.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

TaurusTorus posted:

My favorite part of that is Sometimes your buddy goes into the down state, like they can in the other part of the game. Only instead of being able to inject them with morphine and save them, you only can hold your gun to their chin and pull the trigger. I waited to see if I could save them somehow, but after a couple seconds they grab your hand and make you pull the trigger and that was pretty hosed up.
I think that can happen anywhere in the game if they've gone down too many times. I could be wrong, though.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Kanfy posted:

Paradox games are pretty well-known for having humorous events, but even the various tooltip descriptions can be pretty chuckleworthy at times.

I don't get it. I mean, I understand that 'turn the other cheek' doesn't mean what they imply it to mean here, but I don't understand what they are implying it to mean.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Doctor Bishop posted:

Long story short, the joke is that it's the complete opposite of Jesus' original message of "Treat others as you'd want to be treated, for if you love and show kindness only to those who love you already, what have you gained?"
Well, yes, as I said, I get that. But the paragraph is 'don't help your enemy; instead, turn the other cheek.' Which implies that 'turn the other cheek' is a bad thing. But I don't understand how it could be. It's like they said 'don't help your enemy; instead, a stitch in time saves nine'. How do you interpret 'turn the other cheek' as 'hurt your enemy'?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

The Far Cry 4 video reminded me of the alternate ending of the Dreamcast game 'Headhunter', where, at a certain point in the game, you can say 'you know what, screw this' and return to the screen where you start the game to just leave without your girlfriend. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the video. Can anyone help?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Tracula posted:

I know this was basically an ending for Shadow Complex. Instead of saving your girlfriend you could just get back in the jeep and leave. I think the achievement for doing so was called "F Y I I'm Single."

That was the one I was thinking of. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fojskO4jpDg

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I've been playing some Elite: Dangerous, and I've discovered a little thing on top of a little thing. The little thing is that, when you use your discovery scanner (something that sweeps your area of space looking for planets and stuff you can get close to and do a detailed scan of for more spacebucks), it makes a foghorn noise not unlike the Inception horn.

The little thing on top of that is, as you charge said scanner, the game sound and music get more and more muted, fading away into total silence... just in time for HOOOOOOOOOOOORN It's a lovely bit of sound design.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Metal Gear Solid 3 is a prequel game so you see some older characters from the series in their younger years, one of whom you knockout early on in the game. However it's possible to kill him after the cutscene in which case you get a game over and the colonel from the previous games shouting "YOU CREATED A TIME PARADOX, NOOOOOOOOOO".

Also, since it's a prequel, if you get any game over and sit long enough at the screen, it'll turn into the 'TIME PARADOX' screen.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Who What Now posted:

When you play this game the first time you hear this song it will be about ten times louder than the dialog as York talks to Polly for the first time. This is not an error. On a repeat viewing through this LP I got what the scene was going for and realized it was brilliant.

Is it a Twin Peaks reference? I never watched that. (I did watch the LP, though, which in a roundabout way got me to buy Euro Truck Simulator 2.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Also. In order to do a pacifist run, you are required to have both weapons skills maxed out.

Wait, what? What's the logic behind this?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

BBJoey posted:

you posted this in the wrong thread you loving rear end in a top hat

Iunno. Seeing the tool stunned speechless by his total failure was pretty funny.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Might want to edit that out again, champ.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Len posted:

I'm on chapter 14 right now and I've wanted the game to be over for awhile. Other than all the things I read about this game doing it's just an average shooter. And there's only so many times "You are a good person." can pop up before I don't give any fucks and just wished it gave better checkpoints.

Yeah, Spec Ops is a game that tries to guilt-trip you for playing and enjoying it. If you go in knowing it's going to do that, obviously you don't care, which neuters the best part of the game.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

That's a source engine thing, isn't it? Not exclusive to Black Mesa.

Yes, but the Black Mesa developers are the ones who made the jumps just a little too high to make with an ordinary jump.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Rickycat posted:

Nintendo found a pretty easy way to pad their games

Didn't about half of those questions say 'do you need me to repeat that' or make the 'go on' option the first option or something just to further throw you off? Also, I feel like that picture needs an edit where, when the arrow moves to the bottom, so does the word 'no'...

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen it mentioned in this here thread before but Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is great because it's being told by a narrator and at one point he goes to take a leak, so you just walk through the same train carriage several times until he comes back and can resume his story.

Do you have to do the train carriage loop, or can you just hang out in one until the characters stop yakking and proceed without it?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

My favorite little thing about DP (or at least the aforementioned LP of it) is that it made me realize I really wanted a 'drive around aimlessly' simulator. So I bought Euro Truck Simulator 2.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Don Gato posted:

I don't play DOTA 2 but the extra voicepacks they have for sale are pretty drat funny. I'm not sure if I like GLaDoS or Bastion's more, and they almost make me want to play.

Your GLaDOS link is broken; here's one that's correctly formatted.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Big Grunty Secret posted:

On my last run, I came across a pirate harassing a civilian colony. The usual options are to fight the pirate ship or leave the area, but I had a Fire Beam on my ship, which gave me an option to show the pirates how it's done by burning the colonists' crops down. I thought it was pretty funny that was an option, given your mission.

You can also get an event where you see Rebel ships delivering supplies to a colony that's been cut off by the war. You can either attack the Rebel ships directly or wait for them to leave before attacking the colony (at which point the colonists will point out that maybe the Rebellion has the right idea). Or you can just leave, but there's no reward for that... :devil:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

That's really interesting. I'm in the US and play green occasionally but it's hard to go hunting most days. Last time I did it, I saw a blue group hacking a node by my house, let them finish and went in to repair it. As I'm finishing up, two members of that group have circled back and start screaming at me.

As in the actual real-life people got mad about vidya games and started yelling at you? Eesh.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Screaming Idiot posted:

I gotta disagree. Nier's combat was actually good. But despite its amazing pedigree, I have a feeling the sequel is going to be awful -- especially since the end of the first game was pretty goddamn definitive: The Shadowlord was the only thing keeping the Shades sane, and you killed him. The Black Scrawl will eventually kill everyone, and that's only if they aren't slaughtered by insane Shades.

Nier is a great game because it actually hammers in just how hosed everything is.

I haven't played Nier, but doesn't 100% completion involve erasing yourself from the timestream so completely that you delete your save file? How does the Shadowlord die in that instance?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try using a Fulton balloon on a Sheep. Then try very very hard not to laugh.

But can you recruit the sheep?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

When City of Villains came out, it introduced a new kind of randomly-generated mission: mayhem missions. You'd go into an instanced version of a section of Paragon City, with your objective being to rob a bank, but with a bunch of side objectives like setting fires or busting fellow villains out of jail to add time to the mission clock. One of these side objectives was vandalism: blowing up cars, fire hydrants, cardboard boxes, and so on.

The way I hear it, the intention was that these objects would scale in level like everything else in the game, but instead they had fixed levels... and even the most difficult to destroy objects had a fairly low level. Which meant that, when you got to high levels of supervillainy, you could absolutely trash your surroundings, giving you a feeling of increasing power that, sadly, not a lot of the rest of the game had (thanks to the aforementioned content scaling). Thankfully, they didn't patch it out.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Screaming Idiot posted:

"Yes" is the only answer is to this question, unless you count "gently caress yes" and "why the gently caress wouldn't I?" as valid responses.

Well, my answer is 'why settle?' Put some fuckoff big speakers in there, and you can play whatever you want. Ride of the Valkyries. Blue Oyster Cult. Tiny Tim, if you're feeling silly. :v:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Jia posted:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I appreciate the Tity Lady

Nice avatar/post combo there.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Time to set the Wayback Machine to 1988, and the game Ultimate Combat Mission. Which wasn't great, let's be fair. As the attached video shows. (Sorry about the cursor; not my video.) It did, however, have a rocking tune by Steve Barrett, who also did the music for a number of other Commodore 64 games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7cJ-zXvuEU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Speaking of C64 games with underwhelming gameplay but great music, Driller (known as Space Station Oblivion in the States) was a game where you were trying to vent gas from an artificial moon before it exploded by finding the right spots to drill. The means by which you figured this out ranged from obvious (a big X on the ground) to obtuse (a screenshot showing a location to drill, well before Metal Gear Solid pulled that, with no hint to actually look there), and the 3D gameplay was slow and clunky. Of the games I played in my youth, it's not exactly one I'd pull out for the retro emu party.

However, it did have an extremely atmospheric soundtrack that conveyed the sensation of being alone in an alien, hostile environment. The tune was so recognizable that, lo these many years later, when I heard it in a Youtube video I knew exactly what game it came from, and I soon tracked down a full version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UzJUCPkCjo

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Gaming media can get gently caress with their 2/5 stars. FO4 is a treasure.

Wait, someone gave Fallout 4 a two out of five? I thought it'd get at least three stars just for not being Bad Rats or Big Rigs or some other game with the initials BR that's really terrible.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Kennel posted:

This has been posted several times before but drat these story missions in AC: Black Flag are boring. Open world stuff is mostly fun and pretty addictive but at least half of the story missions require following someone and/or stealthing around scripted guards who are placed so that even casual players can beat the level on their third try. It doesn't help that after AC3 I realised that the story will never get any kind of satisfying conclusion.

I think you wanted this thread.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Jehde posted:

It's easily the best western game since Sunset Riders. Yes, I'm taking Red Dead Redemption into account.

To be clear: you're saying this was better than Red Dead Redemption?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP2ba-QYQY8

(To continue to be clear, I'm not arguing otherwise, not having played RDR.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I'd love for the author to do a write-up of his experiences doing the Pacifist then Genocide runs of Undertale.
Bonus points for doing Pacifist after Genocide.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Speaking of arcade shooters, I loved how in VARTH: Operation Thunderstorm, bombs aren't some incredibly rare resource that needs to be hoarded and will inevitably go unused until it's too late. Your bombs regenerate over time, and you can even wiggle the stick to charge them faster.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

It happened too fast, whatever it was. How did he screw himself over?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

it's dastardly to put the only save option at the beginning of the day. Once you wake up you instinctively want to check on your crops and animals since its just outside the door. Then pretty soon you've watered all your plants and you might as well play the rest of the day now.

At least one of the Harvest Moon games did something almost identical, except you saved when you slept. What made it almost identical is that, after saving, it would immediately start the next day.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

moosecow333 posted:

You think this is Kinderparty? Get a goddamn move on.

Burn, you monstrosity. Buurn!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

cosmo sex tip posted:

I'm gonna have me a pet dinosaur. :kimchi:

If the game will actually let you do that, I will buy it the instant I have the money. Oh my god it actually will. Welp.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

ArtIsResistance posted:

Soul memory is great because if you were good at the game you'd never die so all your souls would go into powering you up while someone bad loses their souls and gets crushed by twinks

I think they were saying that the score used to match PvP contestants should take into account all factors, not just current level or however it works. (I haven't played any Dark Souls games.) So a level 1 character with a bunch of god tier equipment would be matched with a much higher-level character than an actual noob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

FFT posted:

counter to the idea of the thread, but:

You can post your unfavorite things about games in this thread.