Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Cleretic posted:

a half-dozen Bonewheels, the best enemies from the original!

BEST enemy? I hated those little shits in DS, and I hate them in DS2. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

I have many souls. They are still scum.

anyway, I just found out that taunting in God Hand actually has a purpose other than making me feel like a big man: if an enemy is in range, they get heated up (i.e. they charge you and are super aggressive for a brief moment), and it also raises your tension gauge and difficulty level! No more 1.5 ratio for me. (is that ever mentioned in a tutorial and I missed it?)

e: more fun trivia. The things the various thugs say throughout the game, i.e. "You're not Alexander!", "I'm Alexander the Great!", "I'm brutal and ruthless!", "My style is impetuous!", and "My defenses are impregnable!" are all taken/paraphrased from a press conference with Mike Tyson regarding his upcoming fight against Lennox Lewis.

Tyson posted:

Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!

Tyson posted:

I'm the most brutal and ruthless conquerer there has ever been.

Tyson posted:

Lennox is a conqueror? No. I’m Alexander. He’s no Alexander. I’m the best ever.

sidenote, Tyson is loving insane.

cowboythreespeech has a new favorite as of 05:34 on Jul 19, 2014

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Yeah Bro posted:

It's been a while since I've played god hand, but I am pretty sure that playing through after completing the game lets you buy all the late game abilities from the beginning, which isn't exactly the same as ng+ but is close enough.

Right, but you don't keep them, which I think is what he was getting at. You need to buy them again.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

They said they weren't going to do DLC for DS2. I'm super glad (and not surprised) they decided against that.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

I have such good memories of getting stoned and playing that game in my garage. Inifintely more intense when you're being influenced by marihuana leaf smoke.
I loved the prizes you get for beating time trials.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

cobalt impurity posted:

All the Genesis games Sonic check his watch and sigh while staring at the player as part of the idle animation.

I used to make sure he was standing right on the edge of the pod-thing's spring release when I finished a zone so he would do the "almost going to fall" animation. I couldn't stand letting him idle and then stare at me with that irritated look in his eyes while my score was counted up. :ohdear:

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

The best is when you first find a Terror 4000 and Rex sings the main riff of Raining Blood

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

At the end of said mission, Brick suggests that you just jump off the giant tower instead of clmibing down. I'm pretty sure doing so gets you an achievment; at the very least, it impresses Brick (and is awesome)

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

Wasn't Halo already in space though?

Everything's in space.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Dishonoured is sooo like Thief. The sneaky sneaking, and the rewards for not being detected and not killing anyone... but towards the end of the game, you come across two Whalers, a group of assassins, and one is obviously in training. The person training him says "For your next trial, you must remain unseen. Stay in the shadow and avoid the light. Cross to the other side of the room without attracting notice", which is what one of the Keepers tells you in your training in Thief 1, pretty much.

Also, enemies snoring when you choke them out/sleeper dart them

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Probably the same thing he was doing a decade ago: making up stories on the internet.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

God Hand has a lot of really lovely dialogue, but some of Gene's comments make me laugh. "drat, I'm poor" and "... douchebags" are pretty funny in context.
Also, Gene is like the lamest lame. Same with Ashley Riot, frankly.

I also love the Mike Tyson quotes some of the enemies throw out... but I think I mentioned that earlier in the thread. It's simultaneously the best and worst game ever.

cowboythreespeech has a new favorite as of 07:18 on Oct 1, 2014

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Pretty sure I've heard the psychos in Borderlands 2 scream "FREE MARKET"

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

In Borderlands 2, if you look off of the Bunker to the south, you can see Terramorphous the Invincible's flailing tentacles off in a lake in the distance. Neat :)

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

In Pokemon Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby, there are sometimes flocks of Wingulls on beaches. You can run through them and make them fly away. I am a child.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

In Super House of Dead Ninjas, the flippers allow you to run across water. Of course, I figured this out by accidentally running headlong into an enemy. :shobon:

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's starting to sound like this is less "nice attention to detail" and more "happens all the time but webcomic writers thought they were all pretty smart pointing out the one time it didn't".

Yeah, it happens in FFVIII, too. Selphie tries to use cure on a moomba in the D-District Prison, and it just hurts the thing because of the anti-magic field.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

David Copperfield posted:

And in Bioshock 2, it's the same with Augustus Sinclair.

I was so sure I'd have to kill that fucker. I mean, I did, but not for the reason I expected.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

What the heck does "is a gofer" mean anyway.

GO TO HERE, GO-TO BOY.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

samu3lk posted:

I'm playing blind too and I love this. A lot only show up if you talk to them or sometimes even beat them in a fight.

What's 'blind' precious

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's another word for " just playing the game without having a gamefaqs guide open"

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Or even better is going into a game with as little knowledge as possible, which is especially fun in Dark Souls or similar games with lots of "Gotcha!" moments to learn from.

That makes sense. That's the best way to play games, especially DeS/DS/DS2

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Abugadu posted:

It's gotten tougher and tougher for me to go through games without looking up poo poo on the internet a few times, partly because games are ~60-80 hours long and I'm not going through it twice when I have a backlog of other stuff to play and I don't want to miss all the cool poo poo because of something I did at hour 6, and partly because I don't want to get a derp ending due to the same reasons.

I think for me it started with the FFXII Zodiac Spear chest, but if anything it's gotten worse in recent games as far as the effects that tiny decisions have on your game.

The Zodiac Spear chest is ridiculous, even with the (negligible) hints in the game. However, getting it pretty much breaks the game. I got it as soon as I was able to get into the Necrohol (through the Salikawood), and made sure Basch had the license for it by that time. The game basically became a joke at that point. Tore up every enemy except like the last few elite marks.
Mind you, it's super hard to get right away even if you know where it is AND haven't opened the forbidden chests; the goblins and poo poo in the Necrohol one-shot you if you go there as early as possible.

e: that was like the fourth time I'd played through it though, so it was super fun to have a ridiculously over-powered weapon. stab stab stab

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

Which stealth suit? I know there's one in New Vegas, but there's definitely no dart gun in that game.

The stealth suit in New Vegas is one of my favourite things. She's so sassy. "Sneaky sneaky"

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

While you're in the fort, don't forget to pop in to their office and steal that snowglobe.

You can do it without the lab coat, as long as you crank the right stats up high enough. I think you can also just tell him to suck it up and go cold turkey.

There's also a guy in Freeside who speaks complete gibberish whenever you talk to him, unless your intelligence is really really low. Then he speaks very eloquently. :v:

Whaaat that's awesome. I need to do a run with 1 INT soon.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

12's better.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

MindlessHavok posted:

I once found a box that had "Gwen's Head" in it. I think your character yells "WHATS IN THE BOX?!?" But you also get an achievement for it. Can't remember where the hell I found it though.

It was during the Top Gun mission but I wasn't able to find it on other playthroughs.

You can also find "Gwen's Other Head" in a box that's randomly placed in the Titan Industrial Facility in the Pre-Sequel

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Red Minjo posted:

"Every goon is bad but me." - Every Goon Ever

It's true though.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Yeah, but those take 2 hits to destroy. Unless they just have a set amount of damage they can take.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

I just give 'em one weak blow and then stick my head right in.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Rickycat posted:

Speaking of which that was a little touch I loved in the Thief series; all of the conversations between NPCs

When are they going to bring me my dinner? That's what I want to know. When are they going to bring me my *BLACKJACK*

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Triple Triad ruled. Plus, as if the game wasn't broken enough as it is, when you get to the end you can just refine them all into like a million great items and just be literally invincible the entire time you fight Omega/Ultimecia.
really though, you can use the junction system to make your characters unnecessarily strong reaaally early on. Last time i played it I pretty much physical'd my way through everything.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I made the mistake of playing a game with Ellone and it turns out there are CRAZY MOON RULES. The Lunar Cry wasn't just powerful monsters populating the world, it was also the game of Triple Triad becoming nonsensical. No matter who I played or where, the CRAZY MOON RULES would slaughter me.

The best way to avoid that is to challenge her (or whoever the gently caress) and when you get to the part where it says "play with these rules?", quit. Keep doing that and eventually it'll say "(something) has been abolished/spread throughout the region" and then it'll pretty much just be the rules you came with.
That's the theory, anyways. Works sometimes. Make sure you save before you try though.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

With Triple Triad, theres lots of rewards for the effort. Tetra? There isn't a single thing. It's just..... why did you put this in?

because it's fun :mad:

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

FF6 had a tacky Chocobo pattern background option for menu boxes.

and if you don't choose this every time you play, you're not really playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

I love how in Far Cry 4 that when you do Yogi and Reggie's missions, at the beginning the colours are hosed and the music is blaring, and as you progress the colours get less and less weird and the music fades out, i.e. coming down.

I also love how it hurts my eyes a lot.