Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Mario Kart 8 has a lot of neat visual touches. Your wheels pick up dirt or snow, and get washed off when you go underwater. One of Bowser's taunts/tricks/whatever has him breathing a little fireball, but nothing comes out when he's underwater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Wintermutant posted:

I don't know if it really counts as a little thing, since it's the main hook of the game, but I love how well it straddles the line between Dynasty Warriors and Zelda. I was just expecting a reskin of Dynasty Warriors, and in a lot of ways that's all it is, but in others, particularly item implementation and bosses, they really bring the Zelda feel with a Dynasty Warriors mass brawl layered on top of it.

There's something incredibly satisfying about charging up a spin attack as Link and just blowing 100 goblins to hell. Hyrule Warriors has some issues but it's pretty fun for what it's worth, and it looks like Nintendo's actually going hog-wild on the DLC this time. It's a worthwhile game.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I actually like Fox and Falco's new voices better. :ohdear:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Oh, and the PS4's controller's light changes color depending on how good/evil you are, which is a nice little touch.

Huh. That's the first kind-of-clever use of that pointless feature I've heard of.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

MGSV: I was eavesdropping on a conversation between two of my dudes on Mother Base and they were talking about how Big Boss got his name. On the line "That's our Boss," one of the soldiers turned around and waved at me. Wow!

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

Design-wise sure, but the scripting is really broken on them.

Do you like anything?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

My interest in Just Cause 3 was waning until I unlocked doge mode. It really breathes some new life into the game. Suddenly, blowing poo poo up is fresh and fun again.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I can hear the Benny Hill theme.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I've gotten back into Xenoblade Chronicles and I really don't think any game has a better sense of your character becoming more powerful. It's so satisfying to go back and wreck all the monsters that used to pop out of nowhere and murk you

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I'm playing donkey kong tropical freeze again and my goodness if it doesn't just have the best soundtrack. Every single level is a winner. I'm so glad they got David Wise back

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Beedle opens a trap door and drops you out of his shop if you don't buy anything in Skyward Sword.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

scarycave posted:

Some more little things about Spirit Tracks, after having bad memories with the fire temple duet on the DS - I managed to get through after 8 tries without getting angry. For most of the game the spirit flute was the reason I wasn't really enjoying the game, but now that I've gotten the hang of it - the game is really good and I'm probably just saying since I was right outside the final boss battle when my DS game went missing years ago and I don't remember any more duets.

Also carrying cargo, passengers, etc. is strangely satisfying.

And the music is great! Especially the overworld theme.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

m2pt5 posted:

Or two, depending on the generation. (One of the things people always focused on in new gens was "who are the best HM slaves?" Bibarel and Tropius were good ones.)

Edit: Amusingly enough, Arceus can apparently learn every HM and two of the TM field moves (that is, moves that can be used outside of battle.) (List of Pokémon by field move)

Mew can learn every move...

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

you may die posted:

Isn't there an optional quest from the same town that sends you to the same cave, or did I just happen across that cave on my first time playing?

You could do that in some of the Koopa Koot quests from the first Paper Mario. I had the Player's Guide and by my third playthrough I probably had them all memorized anyway so I'd always get the next couple of things I knew he was going to ask me for in one trip when he sent me out for something unique.

All this post has done is make me wish for a Paper Mario open-world game

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Feonir posted:

If you want the long winded explanation as a member you get 50% more of the currency that is chiefly spent on upgrading your gear. Called Black Bullions. Money is called Pax Arcana, and membership benefits also give you 1200 of the real money currency each month as well as a larger cap on Marks of the Pantheon as well. (Another upgrade currency, and black bullion by 20%)

The short answer is a nugent is any and all items that are collected in video games when I do not want to explain mechanics. Coins in Mario? Nugents. Sonics rings? Nugents. Ammo box in Farcry? Nugent Box.

do you not see the irony in using a nonsense word you have to explain to describe a concept you don't want to explain

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I finally got around to Shadow of Mordor and my nemesis is a guy I've never even killed. Poor dude keeps getting wrecked by caragors and I just stand by and watch.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

4 outsold New Vegas so it obviously doesn't matter as much to most people.

Also New Vegas had the benefit of getting the gameplay engine and assets of a complete game to work with from day one and build off of while Bethesda had to start from scratch making all of the gameplay systems each time.

Selling more doesn't necessarily mean it was a better game or better liked by those who bought it.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I think what I like most about Just Cause 3 is how colorful it is, especially compared to 2. A lot of games of that genre try to make everything really gritty and dim but JC3 is full of fields of flowers and bright blue oceans. It's a really pretty game.

Nostradingus has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Jun 29, 2017

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

Jaws unleashed is one of the few games to cause me motion sickness.

Ever played Tetrisphere?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I just finished Bayonetta and I really appreciate how satisfying the combat is. Like, I don't really know what I'm doing, but pressing buttons at random makes me do cool looking poo poo, so that's a win in my book.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I'm playing through Mario RPG as well and trying to do a Mallow and Geno run, since I always ended up using Bowser and Peach in previous playthroughs. It's still one of my favorite games but I lost to Croco because I forgot to buy and equip armor. I also forgot that the mole village is a little uncomfortably racist

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

haveblue posted:

And then it finally shakes the church off its head, and it launches a huge fireball at you, which you counter by throwing the remains of the church at it.

That game is utterly loving batshit and it's glorious.

Yeah, Bayonetta is fantastic and the sequel is even better.

The Nintendo costumes change more than you think. For example, the Link outfit changes halos to rupees and adds the classic Zelda puzzle solving jingle

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Favourite thing in a game right this moment : Skyrim chucking dead bodies into fast flowing rivers and cackling like a maniac watching them float downstream.

I prefer dragging bodies onto gentle slopes and watching them slide away. It's like bowling

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Similarly, the first time you enter the dark world in Link to the Past and see the cyclops and tentacle monsters etc is a great moment

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Lobok posted:

When I was younger all the Mario references in Link's Awakening seemed like the devs just going "it's a Game Boy game, who gives a hoot".

Kaepora Gaebora, for one.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

That game's character list is such a trip. Sonic, cool. Vyse, weird but ok. Wreck It Ralph, sure... Danica Patrick?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

ItBreathes posted:

How are you moving in SotN if you're not back-dashing or bat-dashing everywhere?

The slower you walk, the longer you can enjoy the bitchin soundtrack.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

In Link's Awakening, if you save and quit immediately after buying something, you only lose the amount that your rupee counter ticked down to before you paused. You can get the 900+ rupee bow for like 100 if you're fast enough

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

moosecow333 posted:

It would have been nice if something like the full climbing set would make you immune to slipping in the rain, but nope, no counter what so ever.

Rain barely matters after you get revali's gale.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

You can just dump chunks of flint on pressure plates instead of standing on them.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

What the Nazi bee skeleton did was whack. But

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

That's still better than Skyrim's "there's literally an arrow sticking out of my head but it must be the wind because I looked around for approximately 10 seconds while standing still"

But God help you if you steal a cabbage in view of a horse, chicken, or passing bird

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Ariong posted:

I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be getting from those screenshots. Except: holy drat that dude has a tony head.

I guess he does look like a Tony.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Similarly, most characters in Hollow Knight have unique dialogue when you talk to them while wearing the dung badge.

Mostly they just tell you that you loving reek

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The day I realized just how little you need equipment upgrades in most RPGs was a real eye-opener. Oh look, a new town with new weapons and armor! Cool, I'ma take weapon upgrades for my non-casters and maybe one or two bits of armor if they grant useful resists, and the rest can stay on the shelves. On the (unlikely) off-chance that I later actually need more upgrades, skipping earlier ones makes the later ones easier to afford, but mostly this just means more time engaging with the world and less engaging with the shopkeeper and equipment interface.

I had this kind of epiphany when I realized I can just sell some of the 300 potions I'm always lugging around and easily afford most of the new shop stuff.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I thought Shadow of Mordor did climbing pretty well. You can climb and parkour on pretty much anything, including orcs

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The Bee posted:

Mario, Kirby, and Animal Crossing are very un-horny. Any other not-dead 1st party Nintendo franchise is somewhere on the horny spectrum.

Fzero is fairly horny.

Gyromite is extremely horny

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I think of MGSV as an imperfect perfect game, if that makes any sense. Yes, it's obviously unfinished and it has a lot of little annoyances, but the actual gameplay is so incredibly fun that I don't really care.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, I figured that was the reason for the set BT zones and why they yoink you.

I'm actually wondering if (Chapter 3) just forcing a voidout in that BT-riddled zone between the Junk Dealer and Chiral Artist might make travelling between them much less of a headache.

That's a very homo demens thing to say, you monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I always thought the game should have ended with real Big Boss showing up, voiced by Hayter