Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Blind Sally posted:

never played f.e.a.r. before. i'm three missions in when a loading screen tells me i can do bicycle kicks and slide kicks. i start doing these in slow motion--holy gently caress is this game suddenly way more fun than it was a moment ago
I never played the sequels, which I hear are a bit mediocre, but the first F.E.A.R is one of my favourite FPS games ever. The hand-to-hand moves are cool, the guns are cool, the slow-mo is cool, really the combat overall is just fun and furious. I love the bullet impact effects, all the dust and scrap and poo poo flying all over when you spray bullets around. Popping slow-mo, shooting a dude in half with the shotgun (one of the best video game shotguns ever btw) and watching his upper body spin in the air while his gun is still firing wildly and his mate in the background is going ffffuuuuuuuccckk in slo-mo voice is a memory I will cherish to the grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I much preferred the chucking a grenade into a squad then shooting it in mid-air with the pistol tectic.

In slow-mo.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
FEAR was pretty boss at being John Woo Simulator 2k5

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

MrJacobs posted:

you can also holster your guns and just slo-mo kung-fu your way through human enemies.

Samovar posted:

I much preferred the chucking a grenade into a squad then shooting it in mid-air with the pistol tectic.

In slow-mo.

loving what!? holy poo poo, I'm booting it back up right now. this sounds amazing

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Blind Sally posted:

loving what!? holy poo poo, I'm booting it back up right now. this sounds amazing

Careful it's one of those PC games that hasn't agreed with newer PC hardware for some reason

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
FEAR grenades going off super slow is still probably my favorite slow-mo effect from any game

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
FEAR was the scariest game I ever played and the game I refuse to play again cause I got so scurred. Beucase it caused my xbox to red ring of death.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bunnyofdoom posted:

FEAR was the scariest game I ever played and the game I refuse to play again cause I got so scurred. Beucase it caused my xbox to red ring of death.

I wouldn't play the first prototype after my ps3 disc drive died playing it. Bad mojo man.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Wasabi the J posted:

Careful it's one of those PC games that hasn't agreed with newer PC hardware for some reason

I've already bumped into a problem because all I own are Logitech mice. After an arbitrary amount of time the framerate will drop significantly, seemingly without reason. Apparently some code in the game doesn't agree with certain older Logitech gear. It's easily fixed: unplug the mouse and plug it back in again--but it's drat annoying (PYF little things dragging this game down, I guess).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nordick posted:

I never played the sequels, which I hear are a bit mediocre, but the first F.E.A.R is one of my favourite FPS games ever. The hand-to-hand moves are cool, the guns are cool, the slow-mo is cool, really the combat overall is just fun and furious. I love the bullet impact effects, all the dust and scrap and poo poo flying all over when you spray bullets around. Popping slow-mo, shooting a dude in half with the shotgun (one of the best video game shotguns ever btw) and watching his upper body spin in the air while his gun is still firing wildly and his mate in the background is going ffffuuuuuuuccckk in slo-mo voice is a memory I will cherish to the grave.

I have the very same general memory of FEAR, except instead of being shot in half, the guy just completely gibs. Because the SPAS-12 in FEAR is just that great.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The co-op FEAR (the third one?) was great fun, even if it's "procedural scare" system wasn't quite as dramatic as implied. I just liked playing the psychic ghost dude because how he was loving loving the carnage - cackled with almost every kill, getting more and more over the top the longer your chained murders. :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blind Sally posted:

I've already bumped into a problem because all I own are Logitech mice. After an arbitrary amount of time the framerate will drop significantly, seemingly without reason. Apparently some code in the game doesn't agree with certain older Logitech gear. It's easily fixed: unplug the mouse and plug it back in again--but it's drat annoying (PYF little things dragging this game down, I guess).

Try this, I had that problem too back in the day and this fixed it!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's not a little thing so much as a driving force of the art direction, but I love love love how the homeworld series treats outer space as a desert rather than an ocean. Oceans are dangerous but full of life, while deserts are barren with few oases of life in between lethal tracts of sand.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, in Gundam Breaker 3 you can use certain vehicles for your giant mech if there's one in the level. some of them are just simple things like a hover pad with a gun, or a thing like a bike for your giant robot, but so far I've found two that amazed me. For one, you can ride this thing, though it is less than effective. The other is one of the goofiest things to come out of something other than G-Gundam, and it works amazingly, since when it hits a decent speed (takes less than a second from a complete stop) any enemy you hit flies apart in a shower of parts. Not only is it satisfying as hell, but it also effectively stunlocks them.

The other thing about the game I love is the paint system. Most games just give you RGB sliders and call it a day, maybe saturation if you're lucky. This game allows you to choose how Glossy or metallic your model is (both at max make a very shiny metal toy), and then gives you a bunch more options. How grimy it looks, how much the paint has chipped around the edges, the general contrast, and the little scrapes and nicks of battle damage can all be added to your model. It also allows you to make it look like your mech has been tromping through the mud and dirt for days with just some dirt around the feet. This is a great system, it allows you to make your machine shiny and chrome or super hosed up, or anything in between.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ashsaber posted:

So, in Gundam Breaker 3 you can use certain vehicles for your giant mech if there's one in the level. some of them are just simple things like a hover pad with a gun, or a thing like a bike for your giant robot, but so far I've found two that amazed me. For one, you can ride this thing, though it is less than effective. The other is one of the goofiest things to come out of something other than G-Gundam, and it works amazingly, since when it hits a decent speed (takes less than a second from a complete stop) any enemy you hit flies apart in a shower of parts. Not only is it satisfying as hell, but it also effectively stunlocks them.

The other thing about the game I love is the paint system. Most games just give you RGB sliders and call it a day, maybe saturation if you're lucky. This game allows you to choose how Glossy or metallic your model is (both at max make a very shiny metal toy), and then gives you a bunch more options. How grimy it looks, how much the paint has chipped around the edges, the general contrast, and the little scrapes and nicks of battle damage can all be added to your model. It also allows you to make it look like your mech has been tromping through the mud and dirt for days with just some dirt around the feet. This is a great system, it allows you to make your machine shiny and chrome or super hosed up, or anything in between.

Oh, hey, another person who plays Gundam Breaker 3!

The painting/weathering system owns and it's great when you pair it with the new optional parts they added in 3, which is where you can just stick spare parts on wherever you want. They range from little doo-dads like missiles and radars that do nothing, to full sized weapons that can be used with super attacks when you feel like playing Heavy Arms style and just go crazy shooting all of the bullets.

Also they were kind of lazy with animations so if you give your gundam a set of tank treads for legs, you still karate kick and it looks ridiculous.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
DOOM had the same system for its armour customisation, which was weirdly, weirdly deep and detailed for a mode barely anyone plays. Could even make individual sections look dirtier and more hosed up than others - my punching arm was forever drenched in blood and viscera. :black101:

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Xythe posted:

However Snorlax will always eat them at full speed, and actually eat a bean in 2 bites instead of 3 like everyone else.

I don't remember if it always eats at full speed, but Gyarados also eats beans in 2 bites.

I know some people don't like it, but in Pokemon Sun & Moon I rather like that instead of HM (Hidden Machine) moves to get around (which takes up some of your Pokemon's move slots), those types of abilities are tied to a variety of Ride Pokemon, which you can instantly call and ride just about anywhere outside. The first few you can get are a Tauros that can charge through rocks (and just run fast in general), a Stoutland to find hidden items, and a Lapras to carry you over water. (I think the Stoutland is missable and you don't actually need to be able to find hidden items.)

m2pt5 has a new favorite as of 10:25 on Nov 21, 2016

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

m2pt5 posted:

I don't remember if it always eats at full speed, but Gyarados also eats beans in 2 bites.

I know some people don't like it, but in Pokemon Sun & Moon I rather like that instead of HM (Hidden Machine) moves to get around (which takes up some of your Pokemon's move slots), those types of abilities are tied to a variety of Ride Pokemon, which you can instantly call and ride just about anywhere outside. The first few you can get are a Tauros that can charge through rocks (and just run fast in general), a Stoutland to find hidden items, and a Lapras to carry you over water. (I think the Stoutland is missable and you don't actually need to be able to find hidden items.)

One of the trials requires you to use the Stoutland, actually. Ride Pokemon are probably the best gameplay addition from any pokemon game ever, because it means your team isn't gimped by needing to include all the HM moves. No need to cart around a Furret or whatever, just have fun with your good good buddy Mimikyu.
Another great little (and I do mean LITTLE) thing is that the enemy trainers have different ways of throwing their pokeballs depending on their class and personality; the tennis girl trainers, for example, serve the pokeballs with a racket (which is rude as hell, those are your friends you monster). There's apparently a way to change your own pokeball throwing style, but I haven't found it myself yet.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Oh, hey, another person who plays Gundam Breaker 3!

The painting/weathering system owns and it's great when you pair it with the new optional parts they added in 3, which is where you can just stick spare parts on wherever you want. They range from little doo-dads like missiles and radars that do nothing, to full sized weapons that can be used with super attacks when you feel like playing Heavy Arms style and just go crazy shooting all of the bullets.

Also they were kind of lazy with animations so if you give your gundam a set of tank treads for legs, you still karate kick and it looks ridiculous.

I still love that MG and HG parts are also different sizes, like the real kits are, just so you could have a tiny HG head on a MG body :allears:

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
My copy of MGSV Definitive is about to arrive, ordered after reading this whole thread in the last 2 weeks. Should I start with GZ, or skip straight to PP?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Definitely start with GZ, it provides some important context for events in PP. Unless you already read up on its plot I guess.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
GZ is 2 hours tops if you just do the plot so yeah just treat it as the first level of the game.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

m2pt5 posted:

I'm glad that I don't need to set up my party to either have everyone know an HM, or have to resort to an HM slave.
I really like that when you catch pokemon with a full team - your asked if you want to switch it out with one of the people in your party.
I also really like all the new pokemon, I think this might be my favorite gen.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just replaying Lego City Undercover and I'd forgotten how good the final part of the final level is, cause it was too balanced out by bad reference humour (The Schwartznegger impersonating Builder comes to mind). You're Chasing a deranged billionaire into space, then after he self destructs his rocket when you pilot it back to earth you have a neat boss fight with his Heavy, then dive after the hostage who is falling to earth in the lowest part of the rocket. You end up diving for miles through the remains of the rocket, including entering the atmosphere at the last 30 seconds, while Dramatic Opera music plays in the background to add to the tension. After a game that was a bit of a mess, it actually managed to have a little drama in the finale in a way that, while playing it, really works.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

In Tyranny, some fun things you can do:

You can punt an enemy leader off the top of a giant fortress spire with message written on parchment stuffed into their pants to whoever's down below, rather than just going down and taking the prisoner. This isn't a 'little thing' at all and you even get custom-animated scene for it along with an achievement, but it's pretty great. It also makes some of your party members afraid of you.

One of your teammates actually asks you to play 'gently caress, marry, kill' and your other teammates will get to join in (although you never actually get to answer for yourself). Three of your teammates, including the asker, will take it in good humour. Your other allies responses are "what the gently caress, I'm 80", "I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that, and also I'm 15" and "you cannot be serious".

And finally, the game's dialogue is mostly text with frequent voice acting. You wouldn't expect there to be animation for it, and there isn't, but you actually get a little picture of their character model posed in the lower right like it's an anime JRPG. And the 84 year old guy stands in full :eng101: mode with his finger pointed up when he's giving you a loredump.
I know I've seen another character facepalm.

The old guy Lantry is actually pretty great overall because he starts as a designated healer and will teach you life magic, he has an environment-interaction skill that comes in handy, he's basically cool with you no matter what you do as long as you just talk to him, and he is constantly on drugs, straight up all the time. He will even let you sample them for fun dialogue - fantasy variants of cocaine/speed/nootropic, of a hallucinogen/synaesthetic, and weed/relaxant.

bewilderment has a new favorite as of 01:12 on Nov 22, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

PrinnySquadron posted:

I still love that MG and HG parts are also different sizes, like the real kits are, just so you could have a tiny HG head on a MG body :allears:

Never not have giant hygogg hands. Or perfect zeong feet.

Oh right, another neat thing about Breaker 3 is that most things drop just by killing the dude. The harder you kill them, the more loot drops. So if you smash off all their parts and do a finisher on their torso they explode with glowing goodies. Some parts, however, can only be created through customizing certain other parts. Or they'll be parts that you would normally only get later in the game that can be gotten earlier with this feature. Which units become which usually follow some kind of gundam series canonical development path, so you get most of the Wing units from the Wing gundam, for example. There are a few, however, that are just one-off parts such as the Perfect Zeong, which mostly just consists of arms and feet, because the normal Zeong's body and head are unchanged. The Tallgeese mkIII's only unique part, if I remember correctly, is its head. So the game rewards you for knowing dumb gundam facts.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

scarycave posted:

I'm glad that I don't need to set up my party to either have everyone know an HM, or have to resort to an HM slave.

Or two, depending on the generation. (One of the things people always focused on in new gens was "who are the best HM slaves?" Bibarel and Tropius were good ones.)

Edit: Amusingly enough, Arceus can apparently learn every HM and two of the TM field moves (that is, moves that can be used outside of battle.) (List of Pokémon by field move)

m2pt5 has a new favorite as of 05:00 on Nov 22, 2016

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

m2pt5 posted:

Or two, depending on the generation. (One of the things people always focused on in new gens was "who are the best HM slaves?" Bibarel and Tropius were good ones.)

Edit: Amusingly enough, Arceus can apparently learn every HM and two of the TM field moves (that is, moves that can be used outside of battle.) (List of Pokémon by field move)

Mew can learn every move...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Little thing about Dark Souls 3 that was absorbed by osmosis from Bloodborne: In Dark Souls 1 and 2, you can't sprint while you're locked onto something. There's not much reason you'd want to but if you're facing human sized opponents it would be a huge help getting around to their backside. In Bloodborne, and later 3, you can!

edit: Thinking about it, you might be able to sprint directly forward in backward in 1/2, but not to the sides. In 3 you basically gain control as if you've dropped your lock-on while sprinting, without actually dropping it!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 07:15 on Nov 22, 2016

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So far I quite like the song selection in Sleeping Dogs. You've got stuff that could easily be part of the soundtrack to a HK action movie, you've got some more modern tracks, and Echo Beach by Martha and the Muffins just happened to start up the instant I got in a boat. You don't expect the "oldies" stations to go that deep.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Little thing about Dark Souls 3 that was absorbed by osmosis from Bloodborne: In Dark Souls 1 and 2, you can't sprint while you're locked onto something. There's not much reason you'd want to but if you're facing human sized opponents it would be a huge help getting around to their backside. In Bloodborne, and later 3, you can!

edit: Thinking about it, you might be able to sprint directly forward in backward in 1/2, but not to the sides. In 3 you basically gain control as if you've dropped your lock-on while sprinting, without actually dropping it!

You can sprint while locked on in 2 and I am pretty sure it works in any direction

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Huh, maybe I just never tried it. Like I said, there's not much reason to do it, it's just a nifty little control consideration.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Titanfall 2 when you are given a smart pistol is so amazing :allears:

Jump, wall run, sliding along the floor as you chain headshots

CJacobs posted:

Little thing about Dark Souls 3 that was absorbed by osmosis from Bloodborne: In Dark Souls 1 and 2, you can't sprint while you're locked onto something.

*runs in sweaty and gasping for breath*

IT WAS NOT AN OVERSIGHT IT WAS A DELIBERATELY PROGRAMMED MECHANIC HOW ABOUT YOU GET GOOD?!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

m2pt5 posted:

I know some people don't like it, but in Pokemon Sun & Moon

what

who

this is one of the best improvements to the series ever and is something like everyone has been clamoring for since forever

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

Maxwell Lord posted:

So far I quite like the song selection in Sleeping Dogs. You've got stuff that could easily be part of the soundtrack to a HK action movie, you've got some more modern tracks, and Echo Beach by Martha and the Muffins just happened to start up the instant I got in a boat. You don't expect the "oldies" stations to go that deep.

Sleeping Dogs radio stations combined with the karaoke selection cements it as the high water mark for licenced soundtracks in games for me. The Daptone station in particular is great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

what

who

this is one of the best improvements to the series ever and is something like everyone has been clamoring for since forever

Yeah, I have not heard anyone complaint about the removal of HMs. Even the people who dislike Sun and Moon like the removal of HMs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Leal posted:

*runs in sweaty and gasping for breath*

IT WAS NOT AN OVERSIGHT IT WAS A DELIBERATELY PROGRAMMED MECHANIC HOW ABOUT YOU GET GOOD?!

Joking aside, I'm actually relatively certain this is true! When you lock onto an enemy while sprinting (in DS1 at least) the game forces you to stop. In Bloodborne etc you don't stop when you lock on while sprinting anymore.

Jedrick posted:

Sleeping Dogs radio stations combined with the karaoke selection cements it as the high water mark for licenced soundtracks in games for me. The Daptone station in particular is great.

Fuckin hell yeah. Daptone and Ninja Tune for life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m8LZv-my1g

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I have not heard anyone complaint about the removal of HMs. Even the people who dislike Sun and Moon like the removal of HMs.

I did get slightly confused while still thinking in old game mechanic terms. I had a Pokemon that knew Rock Smash. I saw rocks. Inspecting them showed that they could be smashed by an appropriate Pokemon. The inability to smash these rocks, given that I had a Pokemon with Rock Smash on its movelist, did not seem to make sense to me.

Massaki
Aug 5, 2014

"TWOOOUH FINGGUHHHS TO U SAMOA JOEY" -Kenta, 2016
nice menu screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Massaki posted:

nice menu screens.

endless space and legends insanely intuitive left click to select something, right click to go back approach to menu design leaves me spewing every time I try and play another strategy game