Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Croccers posted:

I like that Factorio will just craft the little bits and pieces you need if you're making a bigger thing. Yes I know I need cogs for the building, but the game sees that I have the stuff needed to make cogs so it just makes the loving cogs.

Oh man I got so spoiled by Factorio with this. Seems like all the games with crafting insist it should be as cumbersome as possible. It should be a standard thing and yet everyone's stuck in minecraft levels of user friendliness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

afaik Metroid didn't use the mic and famicom was unable to do any kind of sound recognition so it was just a noise trigger.

I mean AVGN played top gun and dropped bombs by saying gently caress into the mic.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Kanfy posted:

Final Fantasy 14, a "very serious, grim fantasy MMO"? In what universe? :psyduck:

Final Fantasy I'm 14

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

The only grim or dark thing about Final Fantasy 14 is anyone playing it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

In the original Tomb Raider series, Lara's basically a murderous psychopath if you look at that through that lense. TR2 she kills like 50 dudes on her property in a bathrobe, then cut to her about to undress for the camera and bam she shoots you, the player with a shotgun for being a perv (you have no input in this). In TR3 she straight up shoots up Area 51. Take that MPs this is archeology. There was basically no character writing, she was the hot chick with guns 90s female character stereotype.

The new TR went with realistic violence and some found it disturbing and grody. And that should be a natural reaction when you see "realistic" violence. People notice that Lara's expression is now of anger and fear while she goes primal on the rapey killers. People she kills are one dimensional as is the shooty game tradition, but she ain't smirking making quips along the way. I loving love that because a sane person should react that way. She ain't a monster yet, she becomes one once she becomes the cold blooded killer who just straight up kills us government employees who have the macguffin she wants.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I've often thought it'd be neat for an open world game to make killing a person somewhat as huge a deal for you as it would be in real life. So missing people would be looked for, investigations opened, evidence you leave behind analysed, the police hunting you down etc.

But unfortunately you've then made a serial killer simulator.

This is a really good idea, and you hit the nail on the head with the serial killer simulator, because when you described it I immediatelly thought about Hitman. Those games took into account how you killed a dude and what have you left on the crime scene. It only affected your rating at the end of the mission.

This could be really fun in an open world game, because what we have currently is the telepathic guards will instantly know you did a bad if there was a witness in the map, but will scratch their head at the pile of bodies on the town square with you standing nearby.

The whole investigation aspect could play into your reputation where with high rep, guards wont even pat you down for stolen goods because you obviously aren't the culprit.

Vic has a new favorite as of 15:04 on Mar 28, 2018

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Hirsute posted:

I'm playing through the Metal Gear series for the first time (!), and it is goddamn hilarious when you save in the Tanker chapter in MGS2 and Otacon gives you a pithy quote like Mei Ling did in MGS1, but hasn't actually thought about why he's using the quote and totally fucks up his advice. Snake's reactions to it are great.

We've got another Bioenchanted here :allears:

Post more about your journey through the metal gears as it unfolds

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

oldpainless posted:

scores of Brazilians.

That's called brazillions

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Given the current situation with game preservation, or lack thereof, I've tweeted the Chief Executive of the Arts Council of England hoping to at least get an idea how he feels about the subject. I figured I may as well try, the worst that can happen is he ignores me:

https://twitter.com/ChristopherOLe2/status/1038141446145105920

I'm trying not to launch into the debate of game=art because that has gone in circles for decades. Taking a different approach. I figure since the argument has been raging for years on the art debate, it's fruitless to approach it in that direction. After all, ancient greece had steam power but had no idea what to do with it so it just remained toys for a long time. However it's still interesting to know that they had them. Similarly, even if videogames do reach a dead end as they are currently, they may be foundational to a different artform/technology later on.

This is really cool. The videogames-art debate is only made dumb by people making arguments in bad faith. Preservation is important for more reasons than the immediately obvious ones. You're a treasure and I wish they'd preserve you also.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

TheHeadSage posted:

Actually, if you watch the thug after you've thrown them from the roof you'll see some device activate which wraps 'em in a web before latching on to the side of the building and yanking them into the wall. It's another one of those little touches I love about this game.

Can someone work out the forces at which the presumably unconscious body slams into the side of the building and compare it to the forces of batmobile hitting a thug?

I wanna get mad about ludonarrative dissonance in the other thread.

Vic has a new favorite as of 09:02 on Sep 10, 2018

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

The comic costume has a power that is so amazing that it invalidates the other ones. It is called “quips”. It does what it says on the tin :allears:
That's what I call equipment.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

In visual arts you play into the strengths of the medium you're using. With computer graphics it's similar. You have a # of polygons you can render at 30/60 fps, different effects at your disposal etc.

Games that embraced the polycount and molded the game world accordingly look great because everything looks like it should.

Games that just tried to simulate reality with the same polycounts just look bad after a few years, because you can clearly tell where they aimed for a look but didn't have enough processing power to make it happen.

Devs should focus less on pushing the hardware to it's limits and more on embracing those limits.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

I don't own a PS4 :negative:

It seems unlikely that it will ever be on PC or Switch since Sony is desperate to keep whatever grip they can on Spider-Man.

You can play Sonic on a Nintendo. Don't be so sure!

I doubt they're gonna care about exclusivity for games that are 10 - 15 years old, and there will be other spider-men to sell.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Biplane posted:

ACtually its because the japanese are inherently unable to think in shapes other than straight lines and edges.

I also read somewhere that their hair is actually tetrahedrons and as they get older it crystallizes in the shape we in the west call anime.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I was about to point out that B.J's grandson is Commander Keen and his son is the Doomguy.

But then I realized you gotta have a Jewish mother to be Jewish, so I guess it's not an angry jew on the shores of christian hell. Oh well.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Sniper Party posted:

Other way around. Keen's BJ's grandson, Doomguy is descended from Keen.

RIP

also TEAR

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Mamkute posted:

GTA Vice City: The last mission for the film studio involves you making big jumps across buildings on a motorcycle to a spotlight witch you make to project giant breasts on a building.

Artist's depiction:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Glagha posted:

Deus Ex question: as someone who has finished the game and kind of gave up on stealth at a point, are tranq darts actually good for stealth because their habit of causing NPCs to panic seemed to limit their usefulness.

A tranq headshot is an instant takedown, and one tranq shot will take down every non-robotic enemy, so it's actually super useful. Also the panic state means they'll stop attacking you. Unconscious enemies can't be woken up either.

EDIT: My decision process for when I'm about to clear a room in deus ex is: Do I have enough tranq darts? Y/N. If not, equip the GEP gun.

Vic has a new favorite as of 19:50 on Oct 11, 2018

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

haveblue posted:

Panicked enemies will go for alarm panels, though, and they don't always keel over before they get there.

Alarms are great! They bring all the mooks in together for you, so you don't have to look for them.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

The original Deus Ex gives you XP for two things: Story progress and exploration. Also the skill system and the aug system is separate.

This makes a big difference in how you approach the game. In the newer games, the objectively best approach is to do stealth, nonlethal and never seen approach. This rewards you with the most XP and there are achievements for this too. It's also the hardest way of doing stuff so it makes sense they'd reward it the most. But it misses the point of why I replayed the original so many times.

The original was all about that exploration, and due to hardware limitations they could spend more time on making the levels complex and full of nooks and crannies, rather than spending so much time on making the levels believable and realistic. There are just so many neat things the game doesn't tell you about. Also the enemies are blind and braindead which gives you more opportunities to gently caress around and have fun. I'd sneak into Area 51 by throwing candy bars around on the hardest difficulty. Of course that would take many quickloads because you can get bodied from across the map with one shot once spotted.

It's really a product of it's time that you'd have a hard time selling nowadays outside the indie market, and that makes it so much more valuable and replayable to me. There's so much emergent gameplay in there while the later DX games are much more curated experiences.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Has there been a game with stealth/rambo options, where the rambo options guy is presented more like a rational individual, who is more"Look people are going to get hurt, this is war. And we can't risk lives trying to be a ninja." and less "HURF KILL EM ALL gently caress THOSE GUYS THEYRE SUBHUMAN LET GOD SORT EM OUT"

MGS5, kinda!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Cleretic posted:

The best part is you could be referring to like, three different characters' outlooks this way and they all work.

God, MGS5 is a painfully good game.

I really feel for the people who got turned off by the unfinished parts and couldn't enjoy the game very much for what it is. The way they made the story and characters work around anything you chose to do in that game is great on multiple levels.

I especially like the part where the complete shithead Huey calls them out on their doublethink and even points out "You keep calling him a dog, but he's clearly a wolf"

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

To add to the little Deus Ex chat:

The new games give majority of XP for dispatching enemies, one way or another. The game basically punishes you for leaving everyone alone. That's one thing.

The second thing is you get a little popup for causing brain damage knocking people unconscious that reads "Merciful soul". This would be fine, but then the game also rewards you with a big XP bonus for headshots. They built in a little morality system for you which rewards not killing people (any people), but if not you at least got a sick headshot! Nice!

The little thing in Deus Ex is they don't encourage you to be a sociopath. The game actually rewards you for avoiding everyone and just completing your objective without being seen, by not giving you any incentives to waste ammo or go out of your way to kick someone's teeth in for a nice XP bonus and a pat on the back.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Samuringa posted:

If you kill someone in HR you might as well kill them all since you already lost the huge "Ghost" XP bonus you'd get at the end of the mission.

Nope. http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Ghost_(bonus)

The game doesn't care if anyone lives or dies for the Ghost XP bonus. loving everyone's poo poo up is a net bonus.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I for one do not think having sex in a videogame is mature in any way. I'm also ok with it if it's skippable, and unless it's Tommy Wiseauesque creepy.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

I would like any and all sex scenes in video games to be scripted by the Oglaf team.

I just changed my mind.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I kind of miss that weird phase where every Unreal Engine character was hilariously buff for no reason

It began with half of the Unreal Tournament 2004s characters, then Gears of War and then a year later UT3. There were like 4 gears of war games too.

Blame Cliff Bleszinski - not the engine.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Nohman posted:

Nah. It was actually an engine thing with Unreal Engine 3. The thing's default settings for male model skeletons and everything associated with them were gigantic ripped Gears of War muscle men with huge feet. Likewise women were all rail thin with push-up bras, huge butts and weirdly long fingers. Sure, you could alter the defaults but most who worked with that engine didn't so you get things like the Arkham games where Batman, Gordon and Generic Cop #27 all look like they do Zangief's training regiment and Catwoman, Harley and Generic Hostage Lady #19 all share the exact same measurements.

So the Arkham games were just lazy and used a default character model. Riiight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games

Just check out how many and how diverse the games made in that engine were. They just wanted a buff Batman universe is all. I think we should just call the 2007 - 2017 The Steroid Period.

Vic has a new favorite as of 14:32 on Oct 18, 2018

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Dewgy posted:

UE3 had a lighting model that made everything look very craggy though and with a lot of deep shadows, and I think for a while just making "big burly low poly dude" was the easiest way to make it look good without too much experimentation.

I'm sorry this makes no sense. You create deep shadows by lighting a scene certain way. Polygon count has nothing to do with how beefy the dudes are. UE3 does have a look but meat golems in games have nothing to do with it. It's like saying they couldn't make a face without a soulpatch unless they really tried.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I blame the 90s

His chest looks like a cadillac

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

No the incredible thing is how the artist thought human necks work like

Vic has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Oct 20, 2018

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

RE: That example with L4D having auto-crouch because people are dumb. People actually consciously or subconsciously think about what the game designers intend for the player to do. The question you ask in videogames when stuck is "What am I supposed to do here?" not "How do I solve this". We know there's a solution, there always is. But it's a solution someone else thought up and wants you to figure out. In L4D you crouch to aim better (nice videogame logic in itself) not to squeeze through spaces. The game is about going fast and shooting zombies, not about solving environmental puzzles. The auto-crouch is actually pretty sensible.

Videogames are super dumbed down versions of the real world. If you need an item in videogame, the solution is never "go and buy it" or "ask the nearest person for help". No you need a wrench and it's the only wrench in the world and it's in that locked building. All the practical solutions you could think up are just not possible because they wouldn't lead to [the gameplay] so you default to what the videogame is telling you to do.

And the best thing is that the more I play videogames the more I'm used to the videodumb. When you watch someone new to videogames they actually display logical thought when trying to open doors that are obviously part of the scenery or trying to jump over what is obviously an impassable obstacle of a car blocking the street or a bunch of chairs in front of a doorway. They are still new to the videogame logic.

There are so many examples in every genre. I could talk about them for hours.

Vic has a new favorite as of 08:19 on Oct 23, 2018

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Since the Deus Ex chat I had to reinstall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7NzifR9BQs

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's no reason to get a regular PS4 or regular Xbox 1, you're just wasting money.

Can you explain this one because that sounds like the opposite of wasting money.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Leal posted:

Goons acting like they're above fart and butthole jokes is more hilarious then fart and butthole jokes.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I was just watching the latest two episodes of South Park and opening this thread to see a post about South Park being unfunny followed by a post about Red Dead Redemption 2 is great.

Everyone's playing RDR2 while global warming/manbearpig is killing people in town.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I wanted to say that while I can understand someone not liking a weapon breaking mechanic on principle, I really like it in BOTW.

The game is much more about "playing around" than for example Skyrim. I like Skyrim a lot. But it's just spreadsheets. You have little reason to use anything but the currently best weapon. There's durability but you can ignore it most of the time. That leads to people complaining hitting the sweet spot and game stopping being a challenge. BOTW went the other way, and introduced this constantly chaning situation where sometimes you finish goblins off with a ladle, or a mop. It's a gameplay mechanic that was clearly intended to make things like combat something kinda fresh every time.

That's why I'm telling people not cool with it to not bother with BOTW, because the whole game's designed like that. I really appreciate that it gamified a lot of otherwise mundane stuff that's in every RPG. You don't have to go to blacksmith every X minutes because ur bar is low, you're out there and you gotta go deeper to find something to defend yourself with.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this. I never really got into Minecraft to begin with, but hunger certainly didn't help (yeah I know you can turn it off now).

Durability makes you go down, hunger makes you go back up. Vanilla Minecraft.

There's not much game in there besides the legos.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Japanese style acting doesn't work too well with English dubbing I noticed. Like for example the propensity to repeat every second thing someone just said in a conversation with a question mark.

Take MGS. Kojima is a total western-weeb and all his characters are american yet Snake's like "Metal Gear?!" all the time. It works in MGS though because the characters are supposed to be american/european.

Vic has a new favorite as of 14:24 on Dec 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

aardwolf posted:

In Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, no matter how many (or how expensive the) items I buy the shopkeepers always react like I have just completely wasted their time and pissed in their cheerios. It's probably a bug but I like to think every retailer in the DX universe is just canonically surly.

"I have tranqulizer darts for 800, a rifle scope for 1200 and a bag of chips for 700."
"I'll take the bag of chips for 700"
"So much for the minimal force approach."