Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Wolfenstein tno is a very silly game, with a very silly protagonist, but the world building is pretty good. Little mentions of nazi-fied history (the Beatles singing das Blau u-boat) and references to other nazis-won-ww2 media make it feel more like a lived world, for the brief amount of time you're in it. It's also really pretty.

My favourite little thing though is blaskowitz himself. His internal monologue is so, so tired. It's hackneyed, but little lines like 'I've seen so much death. If I let the sorrow in, it would drown me' really made me think about how terribly depressing his situation is - spends whole adult life fighting nazis (all other wolfenstein games are basically canon in TNO), goes on last ditch revenge mission, wakes up and they won. gently caress. Kill 'em all!

There's also little world building efforts put in to both show the horror of a fascist dominated planet and also to make the point that not all Germans, even not all of those fighting on their side, were genocidal bastards - the German priest in South Africa is an anthropologist horrified by the nazis, there's little mentions of everyone you kill having a mother (for example), and a poorly developed but very interesting ex-nazi.

It could (an should) have been a better game, but I liked what they were going for and it'll be my brainless shooter go-to for a while. Nazis make such good antagonists, playing games that use even-more-over-the-top poo poo than they actually did (in this case suggesting the total depopulation of much of subsaharan Africa) really makes me feel a bit queasy about playing as them in other games like WoT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Sweet. Guess I'm shelling out to by Omikron again.

I still love that game but I can never force myself to play it again. Sometimes I'll get as far as actually turning on the dreamcast and booting it up, but then I just think... "oh christ that demon boss fight will happen again" and I get really pissed off with it.

Also, I could never, ever get good enough at the fighting system to make it fun, usually those sections were just a reloading slog and were incredibly super tedious. The game itself is great, it's just the :effort: feeling i have about trying it again that stops me from enjoying it for the 3rd? 4th? run

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

I dunno if it's because I'm a dumb-dumb or what, but as much as I loved Omikron I could never get anywhere at all with it. Maybe I'll grab the GoG version and see if I'm any smarter these days.

Use a walk through. Honestly so much of the game is more or less arbitrary and pot luck with the controls fighting you every inch of the way that a walk through is your best bet.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Dead Blue Sky posted:

Also, if you would have told me that you'll be doing LSD with Jimi Hendrix in this game, there's no way I would have believed you.

When does this happen? I must have completely missed it.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

The original halo I thought had the other spartan, Kelly, as your coop partner? It wasn't acknowledged in the game though, which makes it a poor implementation. I think it might even just be a fan theory come to think of it

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

That sounds brilliant. I like that kind of alternate history ending. The 'canon' ending of the fairly unremarkable Singularity played with it a little as well, with the player character doing time travel shenanigans - I won't spoil it but there's a great little "wait, what the hell just happened there?" at the very end of the game.

Edit: actually I like those half alternate ending half railroading a little "gently caress you" endings. The "reject" ending in mass effect three is a funny one, as it's mostly bio ware saying "don't like our endings? gently caress you, players!" and it makes me laugh to think of how enraged it makes people years after release.

lenoon has a new favorite as of 08:38 on Sep 11, 2014

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Pocket Billiards posted:

I have no doubt it will follow the Halo precedent of being very well supported by the developers and the player base until the sequel comes out. Well made and inventive multiplayer doesn't really matter much if there's no body playing it in a couple of months.

Yes I'm also absolutely sure this is what will happen, but hopefully somewhere in the bungee offices there's a big old poster with halo 3 and reach's player numbers by month after release charted against halo 4's multiplayer figures. Something to look at and say "won't be making those mistakes".

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

Do you just mean mistakes in general? Cause Bungie didn't make Halo 4.

Yes, it would be them looking at what happens when you try to iterate on a successful formula an gently caress it up despite having a powerful brand loyalty and franchise backing you up, well aware that 343 made halo 4

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I know fishing in WoW is sometimes seen as a a lovely mini game, but I appreciated the amount of effort that went into it. I'd spend time waiting for my guild to gather for a raid while fishing for the magical crawdad. It leant a good feel to my character. Sighing, I'd put away the fishing rod and pull out the weapons, don armour and go face horrors, then, job done, I'd go back to fishing. It was nice.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

In Metro 2033, when you go to the library looking for a plot thing, one of your npc bros finds Roadside Picnic on a bookshelf and says something about how it 'sounds familiar' :v:

I really liked this. The library was an otherwise pretty grim and depressing part of the game, that was a nice bit of levity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Picked up gone home after reading some of the little things in this thread - and echoing that the little things with the father and mother are great. Really gets this idea of a family slowly falling apart while you've been away across.

My little thing is definitely the mother sub-plot where:

She's been slowly falling into an affair with a coworker. The EWF poster, note and obviously hidden ticket stub, along with the Walt Whitman - all about sensuality underlying conformity