Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Not enemy dialogue but the Halo games have always had an absurd amount of dialogue for the marines. I'm curious just how much there is because going back and playing it years later here and there I feel like there's something new that crops up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Leal posted:

I believe the dialogue in Halo 2 would change depending on the difficulty. Just do the mission where you start with a tank on the bridge, Johnson has a different speech on each difficulty.

Yeah, this was also the case for Apone's Johnson's briefing in the original game. I love that on higher-difficulties he gets even crazier/badass in the original. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGM9t5VMyYA

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Holy poo poo that's awesome. I know I'm a console scrublord or whatever for it but I genuinely love the Halo series (the games Bungie has done at least :can:) and it blows my mind how much detail they put into everything.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

My Lovely Horse posted:

There just has to be a ScrewAttack video about that.

http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-theory/game-theory-boobs

http://www.screwattack.com/shows/originals/screwattack-top-10s/top-ten-boobies

Probably :nws: on those. Close enough?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

poptart_fairy posted:

In Dark Souls 2's new DLC, there's been a bunch of upgrades to your allies' AI. They use items, taunt, and will even bow when killing a boss. :3:

One of the red phantoms even does a taunt if he kills you, it's fantastic.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Illuyankas posted:

I have played about half an hour of Borderlands the Pre-Sequel and the mere fact you get your action skill at level 3 instead of 5 is already a godsend. Also I will be the only one of my friends playing Claptrap and I don't care who knows it.

I'm amused the game warns you three times when you choose him. It's nice too that the game isn't nearly as loving grating on the nerves after a while like BL2 was. There's some memes and references in there but it's not shoving them down your throat with literally every piece of dialogue thank christ.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Farecoal posted:

BL2 wasn't like that either though??

Yeah, no. As much as I enjoyed BL2 it was pretty laden with pop culture poo poo every chance it got and at a point tried way, way too hard to be funny and took every chance it got to cram in a reference to another game, TV show, movie, etc.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

princecoo posted:

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is essentially Australia: In Space.

As an Australian, I love it. I am concerned that many non-Australians won't get most of the jokes and references, however.

EDIT: I mean, maybe I just don't have enough faith in the rest of the world, but I don't see the typical American "getting" why a quest to find a jolly swagman (who is literally camped under a Coolabah Cryo Vine) given by a guy called PeePot is funny.

What I'm trying to say is, I really like the new Borderlands game because it seems like the devs went "You know what? Screw the rest of the world, let's replace all the pop culture references with Australiana stuff, and make an Aussie game, by Aussies for Aussies."

I love it, but I'm afraid it might become something dragging the game down for the rest of the world.

Do you guys actually call hands meathunks?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
One of my favorite little things in any game is in Legend of Grimrock. Someone on their forums asked if the game had on-screen movement keys like some other old first person dungeon crawls. A dev responded and said they didn't asking why they were curious. The poster explained they were disabled and that it would make playing the game easier but even without them they would adapt. Not long after that the devs added them in. No additional pressure or anything, they did it because one person asked. Maybe it's just me but I was a fan of the game beforehand but after that they really made me a loyal customer.

Source: http://kotaku.com/5879927/developer-makes-disabled-gamers-wish-come-true-with-an-arrow-click

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Grimrock 2 is loving amazing and everyone should get it. What I love about both games is just how goddamn good the UI is. It's hard to describe but moving items around and inventory management is absolutely perfect. Everything always goes exactly where you want it to and there's nothing obtuse about any of it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
You know what's worse than Shadow of Mordor talk? Posting about posting and loving :qq:-ing about it so hard. Post some loving content if you're so desperate.

An odd and stupid little thing I like is with the idle games still accumulate money when offline. Clicker Heroes and Adventure Capitalist are good examples of this. It's really why I abandoned Cookie Clicker and some other ones, I can't be assed to keep the games open 24/7.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Oxxidation posted:

I'm kind of scratching my head as to how the original was actually superior, besides the lack of pixels. I put over 40 hours into that thing and even when the more detailed Wrath of the Lamb models landed the graphics were never anything more than glorified napkin scribbles. Now we've got glorified napkin scribbles, but with pixels and a bit of intestine here and there. There's no difference!

Amusingly there seems to be a good deal of nostalgia for Newgrounds sprites and animation. I'll be happy once people can mod in the old sprites, music and sound effects so they can stop complaining about it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Screaming Idiot posted:

But if I had to choose one thing from the game that I enjoy the most, it'd have to be his lisp stemming from his missing lower lip. I still giggle when I imagine him trying to eat anything.

Take a shot anything scraps along his chin.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Not exactly a little thing but in Revengeance it's hard to understate how awesome it is that the final boss is literally Dick Cheney. Like there's pretty much no ambiguity there. It's Dick loving Cheney.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Elfface posted:

Though as I understand it, the devs pretty much just bought the rights to the characters and setting and then did their own, better, thing.

Sounds about the same as what they did with The Walking Dead.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
The ending of Reach really is a beautiful mix of narrative and gameplay. You're not winning that fight, no matter how long you go. Reach is going to fall and so will you.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

muscles like this? posted:

In Far Cry 4 there is a lever action shotgun called the 1887, you can get a sawed off variant of it called the 87.

That's just so stupid it made me chuckle.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I had foreknowledge of Reach and all because I was a big enough nerd to read the Fall of Reach novel. To be honest it's not bad and the space battles are actually really quite well detailed.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

TontoCorazon posted:

Don't back down. Fall of reach is pretty drat good. The space battles were really good too.

Fair enough. It's been a few years since I read it so I was hoping it wasn't just nostalgia goggles making me think it was good.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
uggh pleast don't make me want to play Payday 2 again.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Exit Strategy posted:

Not sure if it's been posted yet - Only up to about Page 13 here, but someone reminded me of it. I am the only person on Earth who actually liked Singularity, the FPS. And the thing that pushed me over into liking the horrible, linear thing was the little touch at the end.

Shoot the Scientist, become a general under the Commissar. Shoot the Commissar, and the Scientist helps you undo most of what you've done. But there's a brief period after you shoot one where you still have control of your own actions... And a revolver. Shoot the other one, and become God-King of a new United States.

Not to pick on you but I'm wondering why linear is such a dirty word to people thesedays with games? I mean, yeah, Farcry, Skyrim, etc are great and all since they let you explore but a good deal of me likes when a game is linear since you play through, get the experience and that's it, no real frills. Sometimes I don't want a CYOA with a game but that's just me :shrug:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Exit Strategy posted:

I'm actually trying to think of other games that give you two explicit options for a choice and accept a third. That really did push me over into loving that game.

I guess there's a time or two in Spec Ops: The Line that has that happen where there's a rather blatant option but you could do something else that's a little less obvious. Such as when you encounter the crowd that beat/hung one of your squad mates. The obvious choice is to fire into them but you can also put some warning shots over their head to have them scatter.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Well you are just doing what he asked you to after all. It's rude to leave before dinner is done or you're excused.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
The Saboteur had an alternate ending as well. I know during the first race you can blow up the car that the Nazi who kills your brother is driving. Unfortunately it just instantly goes to credits so nothing amusing happens.

FredMSloniker posted:

The Far Cry 4 video reminded me of the alternate ending of the Dreamcast game 'Headhunter', where, at a certain point in the game, you can say 'you know what, screw this' and return to the screen where you start the game to just leave without your girlfriend. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the video. Can anyone help?

I know this was basically an ending for Shadow Complex. Instead of saving your girlfriend you could just get back in the jeep and leave. I think the achievement for doing so was called "F Y I I'm Single."

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
...that reminds me of another thing. I recently bought Wario Land 2 and 3 on the virtual console. Goddamn both of those games are still amazing and hold up perfectly. Anyways speaking of saying in bed there is the comedy option of not getting out of bed in Wario Land 2 which actually leads to a secret/side chapter.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Alteisen posted:

I just got killed by something in Destiny that hit me so hard I rocketed across the ground at lightning speed, what killed me wasn't impact from the enemy itself, but rather me smashing into a wall at said lightning speed.

The game attributed my death to the architects instead of the enemy that hit me.

That's loving brilliant. I think in the older Halo games if it had no idea how it killed you it would say "Killed by the Architects"

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Ah yeah, that was it in the older games. Close enough, same idea though.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
In Dragon Age: Inquisition there's a mercenary leader who joins you. He's a fun enough character and he has sort of the usual band of misfits for his company but one of them really stands out to me. I can't remember his name but the whole thing is that he's basically a man in a woman's. The really surprising thing is that they handle it extremely well and tastefully. The player character can ask him some questions about how it was like growing up like that and whatnot but there's no mean spiritedness to it or making fun of the issue or anything like that. Not to go all tumblr here but I'm really happy and impressed than a big triple A game actually managed to have a character like that, even if they're just a side one, and do it so tastefully.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I loved how Saints Row handled it from 2 on where levels have distinct checkpoints and when you die you can immediately resume from said checkpoints without having to travel back to the mission marker and start the whole thing all over again having lost all the weapons you earned until that point.

What's even funnier is that during the development of GTA IV they were aware of complaints of having to do that bit of tedium every time you failed a mission, and their response was to keep all those systems intact but make it so that now when you replayed missions they used differtent dialogue takes so it would be slightly less mind-numbing :downsowned:

It's such a simple and good design in Saints Row 2 and beyond that you almost would think that games had been doing it for years, having checkpoints mid-mission/stage. Oh wait...
Goddamn some missions in GTA IV were slogs. I don't know how many goddamn tries the bank heist took because something would always go the gently caress wrong at the end.

Edit: In Dragon Age: Inquisition there's an enemy called "Ironically, Spiders." I don't know if this is more amusing with or without context.

Tracula has a new favorite as of 06:17 on Dec 2, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Screaming Idiot posted:

I don't mean lisp as in "Thufferin' thuccotash, Colonel!," I meant it as in some lines sound like he says them while trying to swallow a drink of water. I love his work, I really do, but there's no denying the guy has a noticeable speech impediment. But it's nice, it adds character to his performance. I also like how whiny Raiden sounds sometimes -- it sets him apart from other "hero" characters. His "Jack the Ripper" voice is good too, Quinton does a great job of sounding unhinged and Over This poo poo.

If I personally had an issue with MGR:R it's the whole thing with Jack the Ripper being an alter ego/devil trigger/whatever. I thought the thing with him being Jack the Ripper worked better just with him being that much of an efficient killer, not a switch he can basically turn on and off.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

WickedHate posted:

That goes for Morrowind, too, though.

Didn't Morrowind go to absolute poo poo after the events of the game? As far as I remember the big two were the volcano finally erupting and the slaves revolting and loving up everything.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

lamey_whinehouse posted:

I've been playing a lot of Dragon Age Inquisition and love it. I liked Dragon Age II, and that was apparently terrible. Never played Dragon Age I. Should I pick it up?

It's good but it's a lot less actiony than DA:I. There's more depth to the combat and it handles a lot more like sort of an old-school RPG than an MMO.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

mysterious loyall Y posted:

the corpse of my decapitated ex-wife fell into my second wedding

Enough about your RL problems, back to the glitches :iamafag:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

kazil posted:

No game writing is good writing.

I know the popular thing is to go "All vidja games aren't art and are badly written :iamafag:" but I really think Metroid Prime nails the perfect blend of narrative and game play with the scan visor. It makes perfect sense to have the story being a collectible in the game world.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Useless posted:

I know it's a very old game, but Planescape: Torment's writing remains awesome. Good novel level writing.

Pretty much any game Obsidian writes has the best writing ever in a game. Shame the games themselves are usually janky as gently caress.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I forgot which Prime game it was (2 I think) but there's a really amazing space pirate log of them trying to replicate the morph ball technology and they talk about how experiments have left subjects a twisted and mangled mess.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Greatbacon posted:

Yeah, I'll second this. It's also a pretty brilliant way to help encourage players to buy the game instead of pirate it.

I will say though, the fact that each game's main character is technically a different person between the three games does highlight just how often I do the "white, male, sarcastic, mage." Should've done a Qunari rogue :negative:

Playing as Qunari is pretty great in Inquisition because everyone is suspicious of you and basically rolls their eyes initially when they learn you're the Herald.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Who What Now posted:

Also it's funny to be a full head and shoulders over everyone who isn't Iron Bull.

My first time through I played as a male dorf warrior and my second was as a female Qunari rogue. It was amusing that sometimes the camera would cut off my characters head just because of how loving tall she is.

RareAcumen posted:

That was just the first one.

Ah right. Did a little googling and found it.

"Log 11.222.8

Science Team is attempting to reverse-engineer Samus Aran's arsenal, based off data acquired from her assaults on our forces. Progress is slow, but steady. Command would dearly enjoy turning Aran's weapons against her. We believe we can implement Beam weapon prototypes in three cycles. Aran's Power Suit technology remains a mystery, especially the curious Morph Ball function. All attempts at duplicating it have ended in disaster; four test subjects were horribly broken and twisted when they engaged our Morph Ball prototypes. Science Team wisely decided to move on afterward."

:allears:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Fusion outrighted stated as much that it's partly biological. Hence the armor walking off on its own as the SA-X.

That's honestly pretty neat and for some reason I never realized that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
The best thing about The End is that there are two ways to gimmick kill him. One is just using the SVD to shoot him after he's introduced in the cutscene a bit after you kill The Pain. Amusingly enough one of the wheels from his wheelchair comes flying right at you when he explodes and if it hits it does loving absurd damage. The other one is to start the fight with him, save, quit and set your clock ahead a week. Turns out he just dies of old age that way.