Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
And you "reload" your melee weapon first by cleaning it off, then twirling it on subsequent reloads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nth Doctor posted:

Why not just point the lipstick at the door?
You'd only have one laser, duh.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

pulp rag posted:

Gobbet will just call you "Seattle" all game if you don't tell her to call you by something else. I think you can have her call you by your real name, your handle, or just "boss".

Also, if you tell her you wanna change the name of the boat, if you go outside, you can notice that the new name has been quickly and shoddily painted over the old name.
This endeared Gobbet to me more than most things would have, honestly.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Comstar posted:

I have never not punched the reporter. What happens?
You give a speech that makes her look like a complete rear end.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Similarly, I like games that don't have a set inversion for controllers but have a tutorial that says "okay, look up" without telling you whether forward or backward on the stick is "up" and sets your inversion to that setting since its what feels natural to the player. I can't think of one off the top of my head, but I know I played one or two that way.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tardcore posted:

Go into martial arts and shotguns, end every melee combo by firing the shotgun.
Or do melee/shotgun and come out with the highest nonlethal takedown count possible by shooting everyone in the chest and then stomping on their balls to finish them off. It's nonlethal, so it's okay!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
But the new Wolfensteins own anyhow so it's ok.

E:. One of the pointless touches in that game is that hitting the reload button on the knives flips them in your hands so you can run around just tossing your nazi knives around.

Ravenfood has a new favorite as of 04:18 on May 14, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My favourite little thing in that little thing in games:

The"magic spell" that Geralt uses is Elvish for "Hello you bloody human"
He tries to dispel a djinn by yelling "Go assfuck yourself" at it, too, iirc.

e: My favorite thing in that game is Geralt's reaction to realizing that to get someone to help him, he'll have to do some fetch quest first. His sighing exasperation on "will you help me if I find your goat" during the Pellar's Princess quest is pretty great, especially how into saving Princess he gets when a bear shows up.

Ravenfood has a new favorite as of 11:29 on Jun 2, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

There's the rich who get augs because they can, veterans and people with disabilities that get them out of necessity, middle class people that get them to keep up, poor people that require them just to stay competitive but can't afford the anti-rejection meds and the criminals who typically have hack jobs.
Also the poor people who end up being indentured servants because their employers will give them anti-rejection meds as a large part of their payment, leaving them stuck in that job unless another company is willing to pay the same.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Len posted:

If I couldn't get into the gameplay if The Witcher 1 or 2 what's the chances of me liking 3? The others just felt really clunky
Gameplay is very different from 1, and resembles 2 but a lot less clunky. Some people didn't like 3's combat, I thought it was perfectly fine and definitely didn't detract from the game. Its really hard to say given how different (better) it was from the previous ones. I liked it enough that I'd say its worthwhile.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Loved rescuing the Spy/Cobbler. "We're gonna need leather. Lots of leather. We'll go get the leather, then we will be back to make your shoeses. Honest..."
I was really mad that I couldn't come back with their shoes, to be honest.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My favourite little thing in Shadow of Mordor is how great the ghost-powers are.

Specifically the falling one - you start the game in a great big tower, and I immediately leapt off the edge expecting to do an assassin's creed style swan dive.

Instead I turned half-ghost in mid-air and slammed down into a three-point landing like I'm the loving Terminator. :black101:
I love the multi-parry animation for when you're attacked by two orcs simultaneously. The elfghost just comes bursting out of you to parry the poor orc who thought he had a clear shot at your unprotected back.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Expect this thread to be taken over by Prey moments soon, the game is full of little touches.

(First 10m of the game) Pretty sure I remember your character tapping their feet to the beat of the song when you get into the helicopter for the first ride.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Petit Gregory posted:

I admit it's a bit of a stretch but the way the impostor cook kept constantly drawing attention to it felt more than a coincidence. And yeah I get that's how he recognizes you in the first place so maybe I'm looking too much into it.
That's supposed to be another clue that he's an imposter. The real cook has met Morgan before and would certainly recognize him/her while the imposter cook wouldn't. The fact that the fake cook blatantly reads off your nametag is one of many clues that something is up.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nude posted:

Just wanted to thank you guys for convincing me to play Tales of the Borderlands. One of my favorite parts of that game was the awesome little intros they would do for each chapter. The songs often fit the mood really well.
Seriously, it was such a good game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Can you not pick up mimics? Maybe I'm misremembering but I could swear I remember picking up a chair or bar stool or something to try to throw it at something only for it to turn into a mimic in my hands.
You can hit the interact button over a mimic and it will immediately transform and attack you for free, basically. But it doesn't insta-kill you like it does NPCs.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Prey does them both a lot. But codes to like, optional safes and stuff tend to be hidden through little puzzles. Like the chapter of a book on the person's desk, or written somewhere in a video so you have to remember it yourself rather than the game just telling you out right. It's a nice balance between rewarding people for thinking and exploring, and just letting people experience the plot.
I really like the location of one password: Its written on a post-it note stuck underneath the desk. You can just find it by crawling under their desk for no reason whatsoever, but there's also an email from an IT person/security person basically saying "I reset your password, but stop writing your passwords on post-it notes under your desk you dumbass.

Prey's decently realistic email chains where you can read the contents of emails on the computer of both the sender and receiver allows from some fun things every once in awhile.

Nuebot posted:

Now if only there would be one NPC in a game who used the same password for every account. No hints or anything but just some stupid puzzle where you have to hack their email early on then at the end of the game, it's the same password to get access to the enemy secret base.
Dishonored 2 kind of has this. I might be misremembering, though. You can get the code to a safe in the first mission. When you come back in the last mission, the code is still the same. IIRC. It might also be that its a different safe owned by the same person with the same code, but either way, having access to the safe in the last level requires you to have gotten it way back in the first.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Glagha posted:

Doesn't influence much of anything, however you can look around your apartment at the start of the game and there's lady/dude stuff based on what you picked. Appropriate clothing and such. For some reason I'm kind of tickled by the fact that there's an environment designer who worked on this game who had to furnish the same apartment twice.
The toilet seat will be up/down depending on your choice too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Okay, Wolfenstein: The New Colossus has only been out for a few days, so I'mma put this in spoilers, but its some character interactions from maybe about 6 hours in, so its not anything important. Okay, so very early on, the daughter of the main villain in the game saves your life and defects to your side. Shes a heavy-set young woman who has been relentlessly bullied and humiliated by her mother over her weight, personality and lack of proper nazi-ness for her whole life. Has an accent a little like the german kid off've the simpsons. Between the interactions you see, the diary entries etc you can find, and the things you overhear her saying in her interactions with other characters I found myself feeling quite sympathetic towards her; She didnt choose to be the daughter of a genocidal murdering nazi, right? And at least one other character in the game is also shown to be the child of a terrible parent and we dont hold it against against them.

Anyway a couple of missions later you join up with another resistance group made up mainly of african-americans. They are, understandably, wary of the white german woman who was brought up as a nazi. So she gets kicked out of a planning meeting, and wanders out dejected. A while later I'm wandering around the submarine which is your home base/mission hub, and I hear some of the NPCs chat about how she might have good intel, but they dont trust her. There are various little vignettes around the sub where you can overhear conversations but you usually cant actually contribute to them or anything, just wee character things. Continuing to wander and I go to the canteen, where 3 black resistance members are sitting playing dice. The german woman brings a plate of food over and sits next to them and says hello. They look at her, look at each other, get up and move to a different table as a group without a word, leaving her sitting alone.

Now, I'm a sensitive soul deep down, and I dont like hurting nice peoples feelings, even if those people and feelings are in fact virtual collections of ones and zeroes. I always have a hard time picking evil conversation choices in games, I find it easier to do an evil run by picking neutral options and murdering people. So I look at this and go "Oh, thats harsh..." then I notice that when I look at the german woman my cursor is a conversation bubble. So I hit it and BJ (the player character) sits down at the table opposite her while she talks to you for a bit about various things. You dont have any lines though, this isnt a picking conversation options kind of game. So after she says her piece all you can do is stand up and walk away. Except after you do the black freedom fighters the other table call over to her "Hey... How do you know him?" and she goes "Oh, I saved his life and helped him escape the <earlier mission details>". They think for a minute and invite her to her table to join their dice game.

Now, I'm undoubtedly going soft in my old age, but to me it was a nice moment.

Also, as a Scot, I appreciate Fergus, just in general. I was gonna be more specific, but nah, just Fergus in general. And rarely is a game quite so enthusiastic about the coming together of hatchets with nazis.
Not only that, but there's also a moment where Grace yells at Sigrun because yeah, she didn't chose to be a Nazi, but she still stood by and was present while her mother commit atrocities. To everyone's credit, Sigrun seems to take this to heart, continues doggedly working for the resistance regardless of the fact that everyone shits on her relentlessly, and eventually Grace relents a bit after getting yelled at by Sigrun.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

I can't speak for how TNC does it but I disliked it in TNO because some of requirements wanted you to do either downright awkward things (get stealth kills while overhealed, a number of the grenade ones wanted ideal conditions) or didn't intuitively match the perk they unlocked (pretty much all of the magazine upgrades), so I ended up consciously thinking about them too often instead of just running around and playing the game.
They work a little more smoothly now, and line up a bit better than before. The only awkward ones are the grenade ones again, and that's just because trying to wait until an enemy is about to throw a grenade is difficult.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Breetai posted:

I wish that instead of that, there was one object with two sticky notes on it and the extra sticky note was a mimic.
One of the marked objects is, in fact, a mimic, iirc. Its the one with the sticky note flush with the whole surface. I could be wrong because seeing exactly where the mimic came from can be tricky sometimes (there are some dangerous enemies patrolling outside so I was constantly flipping around at various sounds) and there's a ton to look at. I love that whole lab though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah I have a couple powers now.
The turrets used to say "Scanning: All clear!"
Now they look at me and say, "Scanning: INCONCLUSIVE!"

They really are warning me that I'm about to gently caress up.

Yeah, they still oversell it. If you're having fun as-is, don't worry about it, but the Typhon powers are a lot of fun and I think its worth playing around with them if any of them look interesting. Turrets are also piss-easy to deal with: the stun gun comes close to one-shotting them, you can hack them, any turrets you fab come pre-hacked for you, and you can get a Typhon power that lets you mindcontrol them anyway.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Oh, fyi on the ghost lawyer thing. The ghost can win, too. You can sue it to leave and lose.

And now I hear there is a sequel? That's so loving awesome.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I thought that in a later patch or with the DLC, they gave you the option of trying to stay as a midlevel Fatebinder but you get loving crushed because you tapped into Kyros-only powers, you dumb poo poo, of course an evil overlord wasn't going to let that go

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Bear in mind that is Avellone's side of the story, which he decided to ramble on about on the RPGCodex, along with some other generalized making GBS threads on his former coworkers.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
One of the big problems with Tyranny's combat is that Lore is basically the absolute god-stat and maxing that out every level is the easiest way to win every combat and non-combat encounters.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Kills-in-Shadow is my favorite of the party by far, both in her usefulness in combat (which is considerable, she’s loving strong) but also how Obsidian leaned into the fact that, yes, the 8-foot-tall wolf woman is part wolf.

Eb is great too.
Eb is great for a whole host of reasons, yeah. She and KIS made for a great party while the third was just whoever. Lantry or Verse, usually.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

All of those except the last point are from BLOPS 2, which just shows that the entire BLOPS trilogy is insane from toe to tip

The first is definitely BLOPS1, because that's the only one I've played.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ariong posted:

Yeah, unfortunately being able to choose the gender of your character wouldn’t really work in DOOM Eternal because it isn’t just about anyone, it’s about this one particular lunatic. Kind of like you wouldn’t expect, say, half-life 3 to let you change your character to someone other than Gordon Freeman. It’s weird to think that DOOM has a story, let alone one important enough to actually have an impact on anything, but one of the things I like best about DOOM4 is that it managed to create an actual story which doesn’t feel like the unnecessary tack-on it should by all rights have felt like.

There is no reason that the Slayer needs to be a guy though, even within the story they created. It definitely won't stop me from playing this game, but the story isn't about, say brotherly relationships, or toxic masculinity, or being a father figure specifically that the character's masculinity is important. Doomguy's characterization is, as said above pretty much :murder: and could easily be gender neutral.

E: I also love the pirate logs about Samus. And basically everything about that trailer for Doom Eternal looks amazing.

Ravenfood has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Aug 11, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

Oh. That just killed my desire to buy the game.

Doom should be akin to Borderlands 2's Gunzerker in Zerk mode.

Just rip and tearing and blood and guts. Wtf is stealth in DOom?

They're talking about Wolfenstein, which plays quite a bit differently from Doom16, mostly in that you need to have some semblance of cover or BJ kinda keels over dead.

efb

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Calaveron posted:

My issue is that sure Spidey's a scrawny short guy but he’s also a guy who’s able to lift 10 tons on a normal day so he can probably take guys twice his size just by windmilling his arms around, no fancy ufc mma moves necessary
Yeah but he's a young kid who probably finds it a ton of fun to do spinny flippy poo poo

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Vic posted:

RE: That example with L4D having auto-crouch because people are dumb. People actually consciously or subconsciously think about what the game designers intend for the player to do. The question you ask in videogames when stuck is "What am I supposed to do here?" not "How do I solve this". We know there's a solution, there always is. But it's a solution someone else thought up and wants you to figure out. In L4D you crouch to aim better (nice videogame logic in itself) not to squeeze through spaces. The game is about going fast and shooting zombies, not about solving environmental puzzles. The auto-crouch is actually pretty sensible.

Videogames are super dumbed down versions of the real world. If you need an item in videogame, the solution is never "go and buy it" or "ask the nearest person for help". No you need a wrench and it's the only wrench in the world and it's in that locked building. All the practical solutions you could think up are just not possible because they wouldn't lead to [the gameplay] so you default to what the videogame is telling you to do.

And the best thing is that the more I play videogames the more I'm used to the videodumb. When you watch someone new to videogames they actually display logical thought when trying to open doors that are obviously part of the scenery or trying to jump over what is obviously an impassable obstacle of a car blocking the street or a bunch of chairs in front of a doorway. They are still new to the videogame logic.

There are so many examples in every genre. I could talk about them for hours.

My favorite example was watching my dad play Wind Waker and coming across 3 unlit torches, one lit torch, and an obvious shut door. So he took the lit torch and started looking for a key or lever in the dark spaces of the room, because why the gently caress would lighting torches open doors? Which as just so obviously intuitively the answer for me, because I'd been raised on videogame logic.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

A lot of old RPGs do stuff like this, Might and Magic 1 - 7 pretty much all included a part where you find out you're on a giant spaceship and get hilarious laser rifles

Sometimes you're on a planet that has magic and poo poo then find a giant crashed spaceship and get hilarious laser rifles.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
They called it Rune Factory when Harvest Rune was right there? Alright I guess.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I might have to get into Spiderweb games again. I liked Geneforge, and that Queens Wish game sounds neat.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

madeintaipei posted:

That's a great idea. Following a pip feels like work, you know?
Yeah, when done right its awesome but a lot of games who started trying the discovery mode didn't do the required work to actually have directions so just let you turn off the pips without actually giving you a way to find what you're looking for besides roaming around.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah the music and character design is incredibly stupid in its over the top edginess, but the gameplay itself is actually really solid I thought.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

The idea that I'm so dishonorable the weather itself is all "whoa gently caress this guy" just makes me wanna be a ghost even more.

No, the weather's going "woah, this guy's sneaking around loving poo poo up lets make some noise and make it darker to help him out!" or conversely "woah this dude's really loving poo poo up in open combat, lets keep things calm as hell so he can keep loving poo poo up"

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I can't find a thread for it but it was raved about here, so I'm asking here. In Spiritfarer, if you bring two people to the Everdoor at the same time, do they go through sequentially? At the same time? Separate events? I have two people who can go but I'm not sure I've made Alice ecstatic yet so I don't want to go before I can bake her her favorite food, but also feel bad keeping Summer on my ship for longer than she wanted. Also, any way to check whether you've made someone ecstatic before? I just wanna make everyone as happy as I can on my boat. :shobon:

Game's full of incredibly cute moments. Daffodil's "swimming" animation is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Leal posted:

I like how Valheim does hunger. As in, you cannot die from not eating. You get buffs depending on what you eat, so eating actually seems to be a reward rather then a tax. So if you're just loving around at home, you don't need to worry about filling your hunger meter. Besides removing the tedium of filling that meter, it also means the food you do have prepped and ready lasts longer since you're not stuffing your face every 10 minutes.

Also doesn't appear like there's spoilage of any kind which means when you're dicking around in the stone age and hunting animals for all their sweet leather scraps you're also getting a nice stockpile of meat that should last you quite awhile.