Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

cobalt impurity posted:

I hope in MGS5 you can grab dudes by the junk and have your robot hand spin around like a drill and then fire their balls into OU-TER SPAAAACE!

I hope you can use the Fulton Recovery System on dismembered dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I couldn't say if it is or isn't, because it's such an unplayable piece of garbage.

The story itself is pretty good. The way it's told is pretty terrible, there is hours upon hours of running about with no plot development and when some of the more interesting characters and subplots show up it may have been dozens of hours in game since their last appearance so you've probably forgotten about them.

It's still one of my favourite games though and I love how much optional stuff there is to do, which made 13 even more disappointing for me.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

This is actually true of a great many villains though.

A little thing I like from Metal Gear Solid 2 is one of the dumbest moments in the game. Vamp a vampiric looking character with pointed teeth and a penchant for blood is being discussed by Snake and Raiden. Snake tells Raiden about how Vamp once drank blood to survive in a collapsed building and Raiden asks if that is why he is called Vamp. Snake responds "No it's because he's bisexual" and looks at Raiden with utter disgust at his stupidity. It's the best.

Sometimes I like to imagine the ludicrous backstories for Dead Cell are just Raiden's support team seeing how much bullshit they can feed him before he questions it. Like, that fat guy is totally called Fatman because he made a working nuclear bomb at the age of 12 and not because he's a human tub of lard. You could do pretty much the same thing for the whole series though (and you'd often be correct).

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Nobunaga's Ambition is a fairly obscure byzantine historical strategy game, that includes character portraits for every single figure of even fleeting importance during the sengoku period.There's an option to replace a good 200 or so of them with pictures of cats.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ummmm, where is this option?

Under edit historical officers.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Towards the beginning of the new Uncharted you get to walk around Drake's house and play Crash Bandicoot.

Also there's an option to replay cinematics which comes in handy if you miss something which is nice.

GEORGE W BUSHI has a new favorite as of 08:33 on May 10, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

packetmantis posted:

Is it the whole game? :allears:

The boulder level.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I like that the trophies in Uncharted 4 aren't for generic stuff like progressing in the game that you do anyway but for doing stupid stuff like taking photos of Sully when you should be using your camera to send photos of a puzzle to your backup to help you solve it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I never played the first two Witchers but The Witcher 3 is one of my favourite games and the part where you and your Witcher buddies get drunk and prank call wizards through their talking mirrors is my favourite little thing in games.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Nordick posted:

This reminds me of the spy RPG Alpha Protocol, where your attitude options in dialogue are "the three J.B.'s"; You can be an aggressive dick like Jack Bauer, a calm, collected professional like Jason Bourne, or a smarmy, suave smartass like James Bond. And my favourite little thing about this is that most of the time the James Bond route just makes the protagonist seem like a massive tool, and most of the NPCs will just shoot his bullshit down accordingly. It's hilarious. :allears:

It also makes one of the villains angry enough to give up his escape plan and fight you to the death.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Nuebot posted:

What's really fun to do is to just sneak up and fulton cars full of dudes. Sometimes they'll freak out and escape, sometimes they won't. Once I had a guy shoot down the car and it crushed him.

I beat the last Quiet mission by sneaking around in the sandstorm fultoning the tanks as they arrived. It was pretty anticlimactic.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Wasn't Prototype the one where the entire game you think you're playing this guy who was infected by the virus, but at the end it's revealed that the virus totally consumed him and the character you've been playing is just the lingering remnants of his memory/personality that the virus has imprinted itself with?

Yeah, and iirc the virus decides that the man it was initiating was a massive loving rear end in a top hat.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

He does. Remember waking up from a blackout in the medbay?
Aloha Protocol needs to improve its recruitment methods is what I'm saying.

Now I want a sequel about a Hawaii based spy agency.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

I keep hearing there's extra material that explains the relationship between Noctis and the others more, but within five minutes I thought, okay, they're obviously bodyguard, valet, and best friend respectively, what's not to get? And so far, everything I've seen proves me right.

There's a whole bunch of anime on the PlayStation store that I haven't watched but the game does a decent enough job of having Prompto ask who random characters the others already know are. The game could use some sort of encyclopaedia with a brief description of every character you meet like The Witcher 3 has so you can remind yourself who they are when you're spending so much time doing side quests that you're only seeing them once every ten hours or so.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

If you cast an ice spell on enemies in water in FFXV, the water will freeze and the enemies will be trapped until the ice melts. I found this out the hard way by standing in the water when I cast Blizzaga.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Nuebot posted:

He's a pretty believably 17 protagonist. I like the part where they're going on some stupid mission (I think the one to assassinate the witch?) and his internal monologue just has him ignoring all the important mission dialogue then he just shouts something stupid mid-thought and runs away leaving everyone really confused.

The one thing I did like about 8 was that even though it followed the JRPG convention of making its protagonists stupidly young, it gave a storyline reason and didn't make them inexplicably combat veterans in their teens and also did a decent job at showing their immaturity.

XV did the same thing and actually gave it's supporting characters reasonable ages. I was pleasantly surprised to find out Cor was 42 and not like 30 and that Aranea was 30 and not early 20s. This is coming from a series which depicted 32-year-old Cid Highwind as a crotchety old man.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Achievements might be my favourite little thing in Europa Universalis IV because they give a clear goal beyond painting the map your favourite colour.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Has anyone done a gimmick with achievements and fakeout endings where they have a "completed the game" achievement pop to sell the fakeout ending?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm thinking of buying a PSVR once they're back in stock. Is it worth holding off on RE7 until then to play it in VR?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

It turns out Kratos was responsible for the crucifixion of Jesus.

man, I'd love to see the backlash to a QTE where you mash X to hammer the nails into Jesus's hands.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

gotta love Ubisoft's response. "Sorry about depicting you as an insane kleptocratic narcostate but at least we showed your pretty mountains"

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Save that for a second playthrough, or it spoils certain things.

Malkavian and Nosferatu both should be played through at least once, but definitely not on the first go round. Malkavian is more just loving confusing to play the first time round rather than outright spoiling things because you have no idea what's going on. I mean I didn't get very far before saying gently caress this and switching to a Tremere (who also get special content, and I think an exclusive ending that nobody else can get).

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

To rise up the ranks of the hunters' guild in Horizon, there's a sidequest where you have to get trophies from some of the strongest machines in the game, I found the most entertaining way to do this is find an area where two of them spawn and override one of them to watch them fight to death so you can sneak in after and nab the trophy.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

I still remember how blown away I was when I visited Venice right after playing Assassins Creed II. I legitimately felt as though I could navigate around some of the city just based on my knowledge of the game.

I tried when I was in Venice but it didn't really help. The game doesn't prepare you for how bad the city stinks either.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

The game was literally years past deadline and hugely over budget and they tried to make a final level that took place in an entirely new environment full of unique assets that they couldn't even get to run on the last-gen consoles they were releasing it on. Also rather than doubling down on making sure the game was finished Kojima spread their time and money even further by starting development on Silent Hills and releasing PT.

reading this made me wonder how far along he is with Death Stranding, and I found out he answered this question just two days ago

quote:

"Let's say the character goes in an Italian restaurant. Who the character meets going into the restaurant, what he will be eating, all those details are set. What we're working on right now is what kind of table will be there, what will be the specific dialogues that will be there, what is gonna be the specific menu of this restaurant, those details are the things that we're tuning right now."

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Cool Games Inc. nailed it when they were talking about Kojima is handling his first post-Konami gig, almost like some kind of Brian Wilson in the sandbox sabbatical thing. He'll just say he's making a game so that way he can hang out with Norman Reedus.

and lovingly render his butt

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go Rookie, try Russia first. The missions there are generally easier. The initial Saudi Arabia hub is a slog to get through, but well worth persisting past it.

one of the bosses in Russia is really difficult unless you do Taiwan first so like poptart_fairy suggested, it's smart to go to different hubs rather than just plowing through each hub in turn.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TGLT posted:

Taiwan also probably has the best antagonist character, plus gets real quick into dealing with the best faction in the game.

The best antagonist character is the Russian guy who necessitates going to Taiwan.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

My favourite little thing about Resident Evil 7 right now is that I can convince myself I'm turning the console off because I'm starting to feel motion sickness from the VR headset and not because I'm scared about the possibility of an old hillbilly smashing through the next wall.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're not supposed to be using regular combat, you should be hacking everything.

if only for the 8 bit remixes of all the songs which are my favourite little thing in Nier Automata.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Don't make it weird.

He's paraphrasing a line from the game.

BioEnchanted posted:

Sidequest chat: Wow the H series is hosed up (the subject of the Amnesia sidequest), I feel bad for her. I also love the recluse chain where by the end the kid's shyness has become just an excuse to make harder and harder puzzle locks for 9S to break through, that's cute :3:. Also I did not see the ending of the Wandering Couple quest coming. The Genuis Inventor's quest was worth the ~200000 money I poured into it though, another rather funny ending.
I think you mean the E series if you're referring to the android in that quest whose purpose is to execute rogue androids.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

She was my second best earner behind Yuki by the time I was done with that mini-game. I wish we could play dress up with her like the platinum hostesses.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I made a big fuss of that dog the first time I went to Valentine and now every time I go back it gets really excited. Which probably means it has better memory than most people in town who don't seem to care the guy who shot up the town is back.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pocket Billiards posted:

What if I haven't played it since completing it on release and wanted to play the DLC? Just restart a new game and go there once I've enough of the abilities I like to use?

You should be able to load up a post game save right before the final battle

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

According to the most recent God of War there is also a Valkyrie called Gunnr

There was, and the etymology of gunnr is "battle" and I think the name Gunhilda has its roots in combining Gunnr and Hilda (who was also a Valkyrie) so I guess in a roundabout way it's a sensible name?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Also in DQXI, it's way easier and cheaper just to forge everything you want.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The Cup Noodle quest ending with Gladiolus proclaiming you can't improve on the perfection of the Cup Noodle was fantastic, I don't know how you can hate that.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

I always remember those two games because they had a Olympus Has Fallen/White House Down thing going on, they came out only a few months apart.

Is there a term for when this happens? I can remember Antz and A Bug's Life coming out the same time too. I assume a lot of the time it isn't a coincidence.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Just wait until you guys find out Die-Hardman's real name (it's John McClane.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Saints Row is the only one that's really a GTA-like game too.