Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

I still don't understand the multiple second-long gif thing.

I feel old. :saddowns:
Tumblr can't handle really long gifs unless you ruin the image quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Mortal Kombat X, true to its pedigree, has a lot of hilariously violent finishing moves, but there's one Brutality that I find genuinely disturbing. You might not find it so startling, but it really stands out in a game where the typical Brutality is something like sending your demon bat to tear off somebody's head, or shocking your enemy so hard that their limbs fly off.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Hyrule Warriors: One of Ganondorf's strong attacks has him summoning a shadow version of his humongous pig monster form and wiping out enemies with a swing of his giant hand. It's such a crazy move that his actual special attack, a long-range lightning slash with his swords, looks rather quaint by comparison.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I'm a simple man at heart. To me, there's nothing like beating the crap out of several enemy officers in a row and picking up goodies after the carnage is done.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Zinkraptor posted:

Now, on a superficial level? Hell yeah. I would love a game that starts as a pretty traditional Far Cry/Rage style open-world thing but then slowly starts falling apart as it goes. Maybe take even it further until it gets to near horror-game levels. That'd be fun!
I once had this idea for a GTA parody where the protagonist, who prides himself on not following anybody's rules, realizes that he's being railroaded into performing ridiculous tasks for people he barely tolerates, even when he decides whatever he's doing isn't worth their offers and tries to bail out.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Technically this is how GTAV ends but I assume you mean more than just the last few missions.
Yeah. The idea would be that the protagonist would start trying to worm his way out of the player's control and the confines of the game, but that seems like a very difficult concept to demonstrate through gameplay. It could get really irritating.

food court bailiff posted:

No More Heroes is pretty explicitly this from a player’s perspective, even if the main character Travis is way too far up his own rear end to have that moment of realization. Of course, because Travis doesn’t pick up on it you’re forced to keep following the rails as they get more and more absurd.
A dickhead protagonist doing odd jobs in a big empty town sounds in-line with what I was thinking of, yeah.

Back on track, I'd like to say that most of the Domination lines from Team Fortress 2 are hilariously nasty to this very day.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
What makes you think the small enemies can't use a small mountain as a weapon, too?

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Speaking of Shadow of Mordor, in Shadow of War, you have to recruit every orc through forcible brainwashing because they're basically unrepentant masses of evil stuck in humanish bodies. Even the slave orcs won't fight for you until you force them with your ghost powers. However, there's one exception to the rule: there are chained up half-trolls who will start fighting on your side once you free them, no branding required. It's obviously a workaround for them being more difficult to brand than their normal-sized counterparts, but I like it as a proof of concept of sorts. The Nemesis system would gain a whole lot of depth if your enemies could join up with you of their own free will, and it's already incredibly engaging to begin with.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Ah, yes, dragon's breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
As long as we're talking about Super Mario 64, I think it had some of the most disconcertingly alien levels in the entire Mario series. Jolly Roger Bay had the big shipwreck and that creepily realistic eel. Hazy Maze Cave was this massive underground labyrinth with big bugs, poison gas, and a psychedelic soundtrack. Wet-Dry World was probably the weirdest: just a bunch of platforms and towers, a wooden bridge, a giant building, if you could even call it that, and an entire town just hidden away at the end of a tunnel. Even Big Boo's Haunt felt a bit scarier than the haunted locales in other Mario games thanks to the jagged 3D graphics, creepy soundtrack, and dark, unpleasant color palette. As graphics advanced more, they even made the scary bits feel a bit more at home, but I think that uncertain time where they were experimenting with 3D produced some of the most interestingly weird levels in the series.