Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pidmon posted:

Because your fun is an example of casual racism?

What? This took a turn I didn't see coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Personally I think Destiny is just another Titanfall and people are getting so hyped up about it because 'Ohemgee a game on the new consoul!' since there's not that much that you could play otherwise. I mean, the Wii-U is finally starting to roll out some good games now almost two years after launch with most of the games to be excited for that aren't Super Smash Bros. not being till next year.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Praetorian Mage posted:

Because male genital mutilation and the anguish it causes are loving hilarious, right guys?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

While I can't say much more about it besides this, Hyrule Warriors is the first Dynasty Warriors game I've seen where I can totally tell where I am on the map and how and where to go to get to another point on the map.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jehde posted:

You guys know there's a Shadow of Mordor thread, right?

I'm sorry that so many people keep enjoying the same video game and then post about said game in the PYF little things in games thread.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The one thing that I could go for in more games that Assassin's creed actually got right was freaking people out. If you get enough into your murder-spin of taking people out and then the guy next to them eventually during a finisher some of them will panic and try to run away.

I could've really gone for that when I was playing the Batman games and people kept coming at me despite me just breaking a dude's arm.

Also for the love of god please someone anyone take the part out of GOD HAND where if you do a strong enough attack the enemy just goes flying until they slam into a wall. I really want to be able to send people flying like that in more games that aren't just GOD HAND or Viewtiful Joe.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Luigi's Mansion has better mirrors than Watchdog. :laugh:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leal posted:

Whats really great is that I googled "glass him" randomly at work (sometimes those last 5 minutes take forever to come) and the search results are just full of people complaining that they should of used clearer wording cause they didn't want to smash a shot glass onto the woodsman and they thought "glass him" meant pouring him a glass (:psyduck:)

Its no wonder gaming companies treat/think gamers are dumb, its cause they are.

I thought the complainers were saying that they thought they'd clink glasses and drink with him. Still funny as hell though because I didn't expect Woody to go THUMP like that though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Last of Us, for all it's faults, is a video game that: does not play an annoying sound, turn the screen black, or mute the music when you get low on health. The worst you get is a bit of red coloring on the edge of the screen.

It works on healthpacks instead of regenerating health though so that may be why.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ashsaber posted:

I don't know about the preceding games, but in Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 the enemies, because they're all robots, explode on death if you beat them with anything but a standard combo, pretty much. This can cause chain reactions, so even beyond the normal DW style one attack, ten kills deal you can get massive killstreaks off single attacks. As in 100+ kills from one combo in the right conditions.

This is especially true when you capture a field and all of them enter that shut down phase where a single bullet or attack will take them out.

Now if only they could make one where you don't have to grind all the skills for every single character. :sigh:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kazil posted:

I mean, yeah some game writing is better than others but let's not kid ourselves.

No game writing is good writing.

excuse me, have you even played TF2?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bhodi posted:

Wasn't a fan of brother myself, I also uninstalled it after an hour.

Telling the player that his father is dying and needs medicine from somewhere far away isn't innovative, it's the most generic plot hook ever aside from "you guys are eating in a tavern when.."

Oh man, you may not want to look outside anytime soon. The sea of videogames featuring zombies might in fact outnumber how many people use baby talk when around dogs.

Tracula posted:

I forgot which Prime game it was (2 I think) but there's a really amazing space pirate log of them trying to replicate the morph ball technology and they talk about how experiments have left subjects a twisted and mangled mess.

That was just the first one.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bhodi posted:

Hmm yes let's take a look at my recently played and see if games are indeed nothing but zombie survival

Kairo: You're alone in a multi-universe / alien spaceship / alien landscape trying to jumpstart a city-sized machine while discovering what happened to the previous soul occupant
Dark Souls 2: A story that is almost exclusively told through item descriptions
Valkyria Chronicles: It's an anime-colored game with a weird high-school lovestory set to a not-world-war-2-invasion in the form of tactical combat
Payday 2: Tactical FPS where you rob banks in places attached to the plane of elemental cops
The Room: Your friend shipped you a huge box before he disappeared mysteriously, and you have to puzzle out it's mysteries to discover what happened to him
Kerbal Space Program: Cobble together a rocket made from parts found lying on the side of the road and get yourself to the mun! Orbital mechanics trainer disguised as a kid's game
NEO Scavenger: You crawl out of a cryo-pod into a turn-based post-apocalyptic wasteland, having to survive while trying to discover how you got in the cyro-pod in the first place
Transistor: Your boyfriend saves your life and is killed and then accidentally transferred into a sentient blade. Find out why they were targeting you in the first place while absorbing more folks.
Spintires: So Russia it hurts. Navigate a russian bog to pick up and then deliver lumber so you can extend your miserable existence for another day. With friends because depression loves company.

Indeed not only are these games all zombie related but they are all very similar because the games landscape today is entirely one-dimensional.

Your comment before was that Brothers was dumb or boring or something because the plot was 'Go get medicine for your dying father'

Bhodi posted:

Wasn't a fan of brother myself, I also uninstalled it after an hour.

Telling the player that his father is dying and needs medicine from somewhere far away isn't innovative, it's the most generic plot hook ever aside from "you guys are eating in a tavern when.."

All I did was make a comment about how if you thought that was lame you should see the roaring maelstrom of video games plot that's basically or other times is literally Zombie Apocalypse. The joke being that zombies or infected or corrupted isn't innovative either and we're drowning in those games still.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

That "learning a lesson" thing reminded me of one of the many reasons I love Xenoblade Chronicles. I'll spoiler some bits because they're going to re-relase it soon for the N3DS:

The protagonist's hometown gets attacked by bad guys at the start of the game, and a close friend of his is killed. He and another friend set off on a quest for revenge. You're expecting an "adult" character to pull him aside at some point and explain that revenge isn't healthy and to let it go, but it never happens. Everybody that joins the team is pro-"gently caress those jerks over" and the attitude never changes. From start to finish, you're on a singular quest to punish those responsible. It's so goddamn :black101:

It's amazing how just having a motivation that you can emphasize with on any level works better than shifting protagonist age around and making them dumb. I've never played 12 so is Vaan supposed to be like an immigrant or something? I would assume that you'd know basic stuff about the city you live in, at the least.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tiggum posted:

But he needed some augs anyway. If he was like everyone else and needed the drug, he'd need it regardless. It was never a choice between augs and no augs, it was a choice between some augs, all the augs, or death. I can definitely see why someone would choose to not get any augs at all, but once you've got one you're on neuropozyne forever anyway so you may as well get more.

If augs use neuropozyne forever then that should be an argument against adding more augs. Because then you'll have to buy even more the more of your body is replaced!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fingerless Gloves posted:

One of my friends had a copy of MGS3 which he had never played for that exact reason, he couldn't get past the menu screen.

That friend us now working for a [GAME COMPANY] as a QA tester.

BloodBorne should start when you press down on the D-Pad.

The real Dark Souls starts here.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Off-topic arguments into elementary school -level insults, everyone's a winner in this thread today.

Everyone just lets their inner child fight their battles for them, on the internet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samfucius posted:

The very final stage... well... it does this:

http://youtu.be/o5r1Vl5XcMk

Do not click that video if you want to maintain the "holy poo poo" moment for yourself, if you ever play the game. I am going to stress here that I used absolutely no editing of ANY kind making that, that is a direct rip from the game. In addition, all mechanics remain intact, the game does not hold your hand in any way when that poo poo goes down. I finished that stage after a few tries feeling genuinely accomplished, which has only ever happened in regards to Dark Souls, and makes me feel a bit ridiculous.

Fuckin' Rayman, bless your heart.

CJacobs posted:

At first I was like "oh he must be talking about the last rhythm level yeah I heard that was batshit hard", and then I read the spoiler and clicked on the video and it's just like holy crap what a bunch of crazy bullshit :stare:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh hey, it only expands out to quad-vision, that doesn't seem so ba-:stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_88vSxoe1vM

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

William Bear posted:

I like games where the stuff you get fills up physical space rather than existing offscreen.

Overlord has a treasury room in your tower that gets more and more full as you get more gold.

Mercenaries 2 has the mansion you've appropriated as your headquarters fill with every airstrike and dollar you earn. I didn't realize this until halfway through the game, when a solid wall of bombs and packs of dollar bills blocked the view from the balcony.

Fable 3 has a clever secret where your personal treasure room has a key in an elevated chamber. If you have a certain (large) amount of gold, you can walk up a hill of gold to get it.

Any others with stuff like this?

Assassin's Creed 2, Brotherhood and Revelatoins have base areas with all the weapons and armor you've bought that you can swap out whenever you want.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

Are there really people who have played every AC game?

There are people who have played every Kingdom Heart and/or Final Fantasy game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

littleorv posted:

Final Fantasy sucks rear end

Well duh, it's like twenty seven years old.

The Tactics games are pretty great to decent. I'd rather play Tactics Advance over Assassin's Creed one.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I'm actually playing FFX for the first time right now. I love the levelling system, but anyone who thinks the story is good better let me know when that's supposed to start being true, because I'm 12 hours in and it's a terrible story. The actual dialogue is passable, but the story is just ugh.

The story of FFX is better than most American's English. :colbert:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

littleorv posted:

I would much rather play Alan Wake five times than play FFX once

To each their own. Five runs of Alan Wake is probably still shorter than FFX anyway.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sometimes reading threads in here something about a video game like Counter Strike or TF2 will come up. And if the stars align the conversation will bring up Unusual hats or knives that sell for hundreds of dollars.

The bewilderment of how someone could pay that much for an item from a video game is always glorious to read. :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

Oh, huh. Didn't notice. I haven't gotten super far-- last thing I did was rescue some randos from electric traps and all they did was complain I set them free.

You sure as poo poo do die super quick if you're not in cover in this game, though. Enemy melee attacks especially do a ton of damage.

So do yours. I mean they'll probably one-hit kill most enemies but take all your boost. The Disk Launcher effectively gives you limited melee that doesn't take 15 seconds to recharge even if it's not as a strong though.

Check to see if the DLC weapons are free or not, I can't remember if they are or I just had a couple of extra points left that let me get them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

maou shoujo posted:

I know you're joking, but that was a Ted Woolsey translation thing. In the japanese version their names were Vinegar, Mayonnaise, and Soysauce respectively.

And in English?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I assumed they wore clothes because they are ashamed at what they became, and can't stand to be seen/see themselves.

If you hold out a torch in that area the normal werewolves recoil and put their hands up after one attack. The ones with cloaks don't ever fall back. I think the cloak just keeps the light/fire from scaring them back as its only purpose.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Tales of the Abyss has probably the WORST and most unlikable cast in RPG history, the villain is more sympathetic than any of them.

Drakengard 2

Ryoshi posted:

Do any of the Tales games have a likeable cast? I'm burning through Hearts R when my 3DS battery dies after several hours of delays at the airport (NOT THAT I'M BITTER OR ANYTHING) and good god it's like they tried to make the worst characters possible. The other ones I've played are Symphonia and Xillia and they're both pretty similar although not to the level of Hearts R.

Actually, I take that back, the main characters Kor, Hisui and Kohaku are unbearably bad as is that dumb painter girl, but the old man and the wandering merchant lady who are clearly fed up with their poo poo are okay I guess.

The battle system is great, though.

I'd say that the games have good characters but never manage to have an entire group of characters that're all great. Maybe. I've played Symphonia and Vesperia and read the LP of Abyss so I can't comment on too many of them though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

homewrecker posted:

I think Tales of Vesperia has a likeable cast, if only for Yuri (the main protagonist) and his companion Repede, who is a dog that fights using daggers and always carries a pipe in his mouth :3:

Two good characters does not make a full cast, sadly.

Alteisen posted:

I loved Vesperia exactly for the reason you spoiled, it was something never expected in a JRPG.

Only bad part of Vesperia's cast is Rita. Karol on 360, Patty on PS3.

Vesperia was pretty good though. Judith's spear sidequest included.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Spoilers for Tales of Xillia 2, but wow.

Holy poo poo fractured dimensions. Wingul becomes king of Auj Oule? Agria didn't die and is best buds with Leia? This rocks.

Milla-not-prime is such a downer though. I hate listening to her whining about spyrix, even though Maxwell himself said it's okay for the Elympions.

toasterwarrior posted:

this is borderline word salad

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Big Grunty Secret posted:

On my last run, I came across a pirate harassing a civilian colony. The usual options are to fight the pirate ship or leave the area, but I had a Fire Beam on my ship, which gave me an option to show the pirates how it's done by burning the colonists' crops down. I thought it was pretty funny that was an option, given your mission.

Well yeah. You're the Federation. The Empire is always the bad guy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Finally I can find out if Harley Quinn really does have a thing for Poison Ivy or not :getin:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lotish posted:

Yeah, in previous games you could counter fine with Bruce, and there's an entire DLC challenge campaign for Origins of Bruce Wayne when he was a League of Shadows trainee just clowning the poo poo out of thugs and ninjas without the suit.

Now are you saying 'There was a DLC campaign in Arkham Orgins about Bruce Wayne as a trainee' or 'There's a DLC campaign about the Orgins of Bruce Wayne as a trainee' ?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

in any other game you'd call that bullshit lag

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

It really doesn't seem like there's any coming back from this but I guess you never know.

he looks like he found someone on his crew dead and is screaming to the sky

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shwqa posted:

Ah then just the last game will have DLC.

Honestly these aren't game that I enjoy, but they seem well made and clever. They pretty much trap you in a box with multiple monsters and say survive with limited resource and being unable to move. The story is ehhh, but told in a fun way, through a series of atari like minigames.

I'm certain not angry at the guy for making a living. There are worse ways to people have made living, like being a brutal warlord, human trafficking, or making the oatmeal.

Oh boy, what lovely thing has he done?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

He makes The Oatmeal.

That's it?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

That's enough, isn't it?

Literally Kermit posted:

That isn't enough?!

Dude didn't try to pay his artist in taco coupons or 'exposure' so not really?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Pretty sure that was the Torture A Catgirl comic guy.

Yeah, that's who I'm referencing. I rate that kinda stuff in the 'worse' category than making The Oatmeal. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

Wow each installment has incredibly minor mechanical additions that's so amazing.

Videogames.txt