Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Deus Ex: Human Revolution there are quite a few little things I really like.

On some of the PCs you hack into you'll find a futuristic version of "I'm a Nigerian prince" emails.

If you find the code for something it will be displayed when you're interacting with the relevant numberpad, rather than having to trawl through all the datapads/emails etc. you picked up looking for it.

There's a talk show playing on a lot of radios you walk by in-game hosted by a conspircacy nut, but everything he talks about is actually happening in the story.

The most recent thing I found was while replaying the production plant level. There are shipping containers with QR codes on them. Scanning them with your phone actually leads to a website based on the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Another Human Revolution find. The baddies hire hackers to destroy and sabotage other biotech companies. When you enter the bad guys HQ one of their hacker's PC identifies him as Kevin Mitnick. An infamous real life hacker.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It does great things with emails. When you're hacking PCs in Sarif industries you find one from Athena to the company lawyer asking him to look over their refusal email to TYM. Later on you can hack the CEO of TYM's PC and there's an email from Athena.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

When you hack Pritchard's PC you discover than he's been pitching a show outline about a crime-fighting hacker (who just happens to use Pritchard's own handle) to the networks, and they've repeatedly rejected it because their research shows that audiences prefer stronger and more proactive protagonists, maybe ex-cops. No wonder he doesn't like Adam.

You'll also find some of the evil hackers have had trouble with nucl3ar_5nake(?) when you hack their emails.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I love the fact that Pritchard is apparently watching you the whole time, because that means that he knows you were breaking into everyone's offices and taking their stuff. He knows you broke into those apartments for no apparent reason. He knows you did an off-the-books job for the police. He saw you look around to make sure no one was watching and murder that cop. And he doesn't care. Just don't go into the women's toilets.

You bring up a good point actually. At one point during a sidequest Malik reveals she's been listening in on you without your knowledge. Holy poo poo it's actually a pretty big deal that people can listen in on (see?) what you're doing the whole time without you knowing. Especially later when Van Bruggen can even hack into your frequency

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The serious amount of background and world-building put into Dishonored is incredible. One of my favourites is when you return to the pub after each mission. If you go into Havelock's room he has a journal he updates after each mission talking about Corvo's performance.

The Heart also deserves a mention. For those who haven't played the game you're given a heart that locates power-ups, it has a secondary function though. It tells you secrets about whoever you point it at including unimportant NPCS populating the game world. Or if you point it at nobody it tells you things about the area you're in. There's quite a lot of lines for each person and area, kudos to the writers.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kimmalah posted:

Another neat little thing about the heart that I didn't realize until later is that it's actually the heart of the Empress, with a few modifications from the Outsider. (Not really a spoiler in my opinion, but I'm tagging it to be safe)

I think I've mentioned it before, but I also like the little things they throw in with the powers. Like whenever you use Blink, all the sound effects around you become extremely slow because you're suddenly moving so fast. And while I think they kind of over-emphasized the low chaos/high chaos thing, I do like that how you choose to complete missions has aftereffects - like if you choose not to kill someone you might see or hear about them later.

There's also some evidence that The Outsider used Piero as a conduit to make the heart. I like that they let you discover this kind of stuff by yourself rather than having someone awkwardly deliver exposition.

The slowing down of audio when you blink is awesome. Some of Slackjaw's minions comment on it if you blink near them too, "Where did he go?" "How did he do that?" etc.

Agreed about chaos. It'd be great if it didn't affect the plot so much. It's good that you get benefits for not killing etc. but no game that tries to have a good and bad ending succeeds. Both endings end up lightweight.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

haveblue posted:

The Dishonored world is the best thing about the game. It's grim without being cliched and steampunk without being annoying.

I heard it was done by the guy who did the world of Half-Life 2, which would explain why it's so well done. When you enter Campbell's secret room, there's a display case with a rune and some other miscellaneous objects. I'm pretty sure one of them is a mini HL2 Combine mask.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

haveblue posted:

I don't know if he was involved in the writing, but they share the same art director, and it's really obvious from all the too-tall buildings and the look of the tech and vehicles. It's pretty much the Combine's Victorian era.

Art Director sounds much more accurate than what I was saying!

Coming back from one of the missions I picked up a ruin at an Outsider shrine. The Outsider appeared and his conversation noted I was returning from the party (rather than on my way) after completing the mission and that I had chosen the nonlethal method. A nice touch especially considering most of the time the dialogue doesn't change regardless of if you kill or non-lethally dispose a target.

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Sep 1, 2014

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Not to keep mentioning Dishonored but I found a random letter in an abandoned building that contained a scathing rant written by a Percival Cox.

Also looking at Trophies for Ni No Kuni and the one for beating Shadar is "A Tonic for the Djinn , which I thought was quite clever.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

lenoon posted:

That sounds brilliant. I like that kind of alternate history ending. The 'canon' ending of the fairly unremarkable Singularity played with it a little as well, with the player character doing time travel shenanigans - I won't spoil it but there's a great little "wait, what the hell just happened there?" at the very end of the game.

Doesn't it just turn out things changed because you saved that scientist dude? Which wasn't a twist at all, it was just an obvious fact

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Speaking of great melee combat, the condemned games have the most satisfying hand to hand combat system by far. When you punch or hit anything you can practically feel the shock in your arms. It's beautifully visceral.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Playing the first Dead Space game for the first time in a year or two and I forgot how great it is. The best thing about it though is that there are no cutscenes, everything happens in game. I know it's not the first game to do this, but it's a rare enough thing these days. I wish more games did it.

Not sure if that counts as something small, so more in the spirit of the thread is the objective marker. When you press R3 Isaac holds out his hand and a glowing blue line shows where you should be going. It's a neat little feature that helps you navigate without being in your face. It's also good when you have an area with multiple doors and you want to see which are the 'extra' areas, so you can explore them first before continuing on with your objective.

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Sep 20, 2014

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Who What Now posted:

At least in the later two it will also show you the nearest armor station, workbench, and save point. Usually all three are in one place, but it's still nice anyway.

Yeah that's a nice little addition in the second game. There's also a small thing with stamping I like in Dead Space 2. Normally if you stamp Isaac lets out that Herculean roar. If instead you hammer the stamp button frantically he goes "gently caress, gently caress, fucccccck" in a really panicked voice. It's a nice little character moment.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sobatchja Morda posted:

In fact, one big thing that I love about Far Cry 2 is how brutal and visceral it can be. People often complain about it being a frustrating game, but that's exactly what I love about it: playing it tires you out, you always find yourself at a disadvantage and even the best laid plans can go astray in the blink of an eye. There's an actual feeling of danger that haunts you for the entirety of the game (something which I never really felt in Far Cry 3) and the only way to cope with that is to become brutal and completely unscrupulous yourself. Eventually, you'll find yourself shooting every car that even comes close to you out of precaution, burning down villages filled with enemies that you could have easily evaded, wounding opponents with a sniper rifle so you can pick off their buddies as they attempt a rescue and becoming more and more detached to the horrific missions your employers give you. The fact that every action is preceded by a long journey gives you time to reflect on your actions, and if you're not disgusted with what you've become by the end of the game, you're playing it wrong.

That makes the game sound really awesome, worth checking out at least.

Some more Dead Space ones. The first letter of the 12 chapter titles spell out NICOLE IS DEAD which was kind of obvious but it was a pretty cool idea. Isaac suit upgrades have numbers and the face plate has a corresponding number of lights. I'm doing a poor job explaining so I'll use images

Level 2 suit has 2 lights

The Level 3 suit has 3 lights

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The HUD being part of the in game world is so well done in the Dead Space games. If a video link pops up or you're in a menu, pressing the aim button instantly minimises it so it doesn't block your view.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

And (endgame spoilers) don't you hallucinate Nicole or another dead character in one of the suits at some point and their bar is black?

Yeah you hallucinate Nicole not sure about the RIG though. Playing through at the minute so I can confirm later!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I assume it just monitors stuff like basic health signs and can tell if you have a broken bone or cuts etc. rather than an in-depth health analysis.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, there's a scene where someone gets poisoned and it lowers for that too. It just doesn't make much sense.

I guess it might be a bit ropey in terms of narrative then, just put it down to your RIG knowing hundreds of futuristic :biotruths:

It rules as part of a HUD though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

scarycave posted:

Playing my first Pikmin game (3) and there is something really satisfying about having these little guys carrying a big rear end boss monster we just killed back to base.

Pikmin gives you such nice feelings of achievement. Don't make the beginner mistake I made though, just because your character can go through water doesn't mean all Pikmin can. I accidentally committed a genocide of 70 reds and there was nothing I could do as they screamed and drown watching their betrayed ghosts float away. Probably the most haunting moment of any game ever.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Speaking of MGS2, one of the rooms on the ship has an ice bucket. If you knock the bucket over the ice will melt realistically. The coding for that was done solely for that one instance.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dishonored has a really neat little detail that I never noticed until someone told me and I went back and checked. Throughout the game there are wanted posters scattered about. The content of the posters actually changes based on how you've been playing. If Corvo is never spotted by a guard there'll be no picture on the posters, just a large '?'.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

barcoded posted:

Isn't it implied that the Outsider is a god of the whales, as well? The ones being killed for oil?

There's also an implication that his true form is a leviathan beneath the sea. Though I think the game director says he cannot change form, so I dunno.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Did that Darkness of Tyvia stuff turn out to be fake?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

There are no physical screenshots of it other than a single photo of a press conference slide show, and a bethsoft rep said “we don’t comment on rumour or speculation.” in response to being asked about it. The rest of the "information" that has been provided about it has been on promo art (see the article I linked) that is made up of Dishonored 1 promo art. I wouldn't say it's been debunked so much as it'd be a long shot to assume it's real from what we know about it.

I see! Thanks for such a thorough reply!

I'm replaying Final Fantasy X at the minute after picking up the HD release. I like that they talk to each other depending on who you have in your battle party. For example Lulu and Wakka, or Auron and Tidus.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I got Alien: Isolation last week but only got around to starting it this evening. When you first wake up from Cryosleep you're told to go find clothes. If you speak to Samuels before getting dressed he'll talk normally but at the end tell you to put clothes on before your meeting. Very like JC Denton in the Women's bathroom!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Final Fantasy X just before you fight a boss monster attacking the airship, there's an item seller who will sell you restoratives. One of the characters asks why he's selling the items instead of giving them away as he'll die too if they lose. I thought it was nice comment on how that situation often arises in games.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

haveblue posted:

What's his answer?

"I have enormous faith that you'll win"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My main problem with merchants in games is that they're not the merchant from RE4.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My only problem with the merchant was the castle level. I spotted him a huge distance away and his coat made him look like a cultist, so I sniped him in the head. Had to go through the whole Castle without a merchant, it was tough.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, gently caress the TMP. You can also get a (free) upgraded Blacktail from the vendor if you do his sidequest at the beginning of the game and get all blue talismans (which is rather easy to do), which should really help at the beginning.

The Blacktail is awful, get the upgraded version for free and sell it back to him.

Also the Broken Butterfly is the best weapon

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What were the villagers saying when they said "um yehrnoff" and "ayy ahrgaw"? Spelled phonetically obviously

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

Those two are probably "un forastero!" (a foreigner!) and "allí/ahí está!" (there he is!). You also have "agarrenlo!" (grab him!).

Oh, and they say "cerebros cerebros cerebros cerebros" (braaaains braaaains braaaains).

/fake edit: Well hello there

Most of those are pretty much spot on, except for one near the ending which they translated to "Quick, use your muscles!" which actually says "quick, there's an intruder!". I have no idea where they got the muscles bit from.

/edit: VVVVVV Detrás de ti, imbécil! :v:

Ay Ahrgawh turned out to be "Hey, over there" at 1:03 in the above video. And I think my phonetics sound dead on :goonsay:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I love that in the Krauser fight the knife dies way more damage to him than anything else. I love that section even if it is a bit Jerry Sandusky with Krauser slowly undressing and cooing "goooooood, Leon"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

A little thing I liked in Spelunky that returned in the HD version: There are monkey enemies that don't hurt you, but jump on your back and cause your controls to wig out before they hop off, which knocks you over and drops a live bomb from your stock. In Spelunky you can toss ropes upward, and if you toss up a rope while a monkey is on your back it'll kill it because the monkey is on top of you. I thought that was kinda neat.

It can also kill your friend if you throw a rope up when they're jumping above you!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I got Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel for Christmas from one of my brothers. It's close to identical with Borderlands 2 but it has some small things I really appreciate. Your character actually speaks in this game and responds when people talk to them. Also the NPC dialogue is different sometimes depending on which character you're playing as. It's something very small but adds a lot to the game.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I know MGS games are Little Things: The Series but god drat the effort they go to is just crazy. All the bonus little codec calls you can make in certain areas. They have unique ones for if you're staring at a poster with a girl on it, if you're standing in front of a toilet, or even calling Snake at a very certain time in a certain place.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

maou shoujo posted:

There's another cutscene in FFV that varies slightly depending on how many sidequests you've done. The first time you use one of the four tablets, you'll see a cutscene where Exdeath orders 3 bosses to ambush you at the sites of the other tablets. If you don't use the first tablet and instead go collect the others, you'll fight the bosses that were in the cutscene that hasn't played. Once you do go use the tablets, the bosses that you have already killed will not appear in the cutscene. If you collect all four tablets before using any, the cutscene just won't play at all since it would be moot now.

It's such a little thing, but it creates nice internal consistency.

In FFX Wakka uses a potion on Tidus at one point in a cutscene which is nice!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

It's been over a decade and no game has made a better keyboard interface for controllers than Beyond Good & Evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euquOpUmUyk

Really? I found it quite a bit more annoying than the standard input pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Since we've had keyboards they've always been a QWERTY rectangle pretty much. Games don't need to try to do it differently for fear if they don't it'll break immersion in the game's world.