Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It never ceases to amuse me that some players unironically accept the Imperials as the good guys when the game literally dresses them up as Romans.

These are probably the same people who bash Bethesda as lazy and uncreative because they themselves can't be bothered to actually read anything in game.

This page makes me sad because it illustrates that Skyrim was a great setting with tons of cool lore but the writing was panned because the game didn't have a morality system or complex dialogue choices or self-serious grimness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

kazil posted:

I mean, yeah some game writing is better than others but let's not kid ourselves.

No game writing is good writing.

"If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Planes, it is that many things may change the nature of a man. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you believe can change the nature of a man, can. I’ve seen belief move cities, make men stave off death, and turn an evil hag's heart half-circle. This entire Fortress has been constructed from belief. Belief damned a woman, whose heart clung to the hope that another loved her when he did not. Once, it made a man seek immortality and achieve it. And it has made a posturing spirit think it is something more than a part of me."

:smugbert:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Bhodi posted:

Wasn't a fan of brother myself, I also uninstalled it after an hour.

Telling the player that his father is dying and needs medicine from somewhere far away isn't innovative, it's the most generic plot hook ever aside from "you guys are eating in a tavern when.."

As far as twee storygames go Brother is one of the better ones out there simply by virtue of not being a sidescroller with pixel graphics.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Remember a few years ago when indie gamers used to make fun of big games for being unfinished and over-using zombies, and now every other indie game is an unfinished Kickstarter/Early Access game about zombies.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I got Postal 2 for a buck during the Steam sale and while it's a terrible game on just about every objective level I love the mayhem that breaks out when you have all the settings at max so levels are crammed with NPCs and bodies never go away; a single firefight can cascade into map-wide panic and a stray severed head can cause a chain reaction of puking bystanders. Especially when you combine it with the random weapon system for NPCs, which leads to hilarity like a National Guard soldier trying to kill an attacking pit bull with a napalm launcher only to blow himself up and set a crowd of people on fire in the process.

Also Running With Scissors is not only inexplicably still in business but is still supporting the game over a decade later, so the referential humor wraps around from outright bad to a surreal nightmare where you play through an extended Pulp Fiction homage and protesters wear shirts with Joe Lieberman on them but NPCs make references to YouTube and you can use a can of Axe body spray as a flamethrower and the achievements are all image macros that make references to Reddit, Workaholics, and Mel Gibson's dad.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

The same thing can be said of Little Inferno and it's poop from a butt.

In Little Inferno if you hold onto the free hug coupon for the entire game then you actually get to cash it in at the end :3:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Daktar posted:

I've been playing Red Faction: Guerilla after having it in my Steam library for god knows how long, and it's come as a very pleasant surprise. The obvious 'little thing' is the building destruction, but I think the thing that's making me enjoy it the most is the fact that you can't indefinitely hold off waves of enemies. If you want to survive, you have to plan your attack, get in quick, demolish the target, get out quick and fade away into the martian wastes. You really do have to act like a guerilla.

They finally released a proper Steam version and took out the GFWL so it's a great time to (re)play it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It's been over a decade and no game has made a better keyboard interface for controllers than Beyond Good & Evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euquOpUmUyk

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
In Red Faction: Guerilla the ammo crates you can use to re-stock your ammo and change your weapons will explode if you detonate anything near them or fire on them enough. It makes perfect sense that a metal box full of explosives would be so volatile but it's the only game in recent memory that actually does that instead of having them be an indestructible part of the level geometry.

Chard posted:

Nope, this is stupid and a nice crisp d-pad qwerty interface is best.

Typing your username in on a virtual QWERTY keyboard with a d-pad would take 19 button button presses, not counting capitalization. With the BG&E system it would take a combined effort of less than two rotations of an analog stick. Most people would consider the latter a lot easier :shrug:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

graybook posted:

Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell came out yesterday.

There is a musical number.

There is a Disney-style musical number and I cried because I love this series so much.

The game description even states the musical number's there, but just witnessing it is beautiful. :allears:

They released the entire thing as a trailer which is a shame considering it's one of the few actual cutscenes in the game.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I've been bitching about Gat Out of Hell in the Dragging Down thread, but for every gripe there's something tiny and amazing about it. Daniel Dae Kim's voice work is fantastically sociopathic, flying feels AMAZING (once you get used to it), and possibly the littlest thing of all: in an area with a chainlink fence, when you touch down near it or Stomp the ground near it, either way, it rattles like a real chainlink fence does. It made me so happy :kimchi:

I'm really enjoying playing as Kinzie too. I wasn't crazy about her in previous games (in 3 she seemed like pandering nerd bait what with being an oversexed hacker grrrl and in 4 every exchange with her was just a line of :techno: followed by her explaining it to the Boss when they don't understand) but it's fun to have her giggling and yelling when you hit a speed boost while flying after a while of stomping around as Johnny Gat.

Also one thing they really did right is they cranked the encounter rate of random events up really high. I never did 100% SR3 because having to run around on foot for 5 to 10 minutes to have the random events trigger was tedious as hell, in GooH you run into armored cars and Dex constantly.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I may be wrong :) both sound like Ash to me.

On other GOoH topics, the Soft Shoe achievement made me laugh. Spend ten seconds in lava without dying. Johnny was not happy about doing it.

There's also an achievement for dying in lava and they went to the trouble of giving you a Terminator 2 death animation for sinking into the lava. And if you fly through the little lavafalls pouring off of floating islands you catch on fire and there's even an achievement for doing it often enough.

Most of the achievements are pretty good (my favorite little one is one for banging your head on the ceiling when wall-running), the only exception being one for shooting down a spire's missile that you can permanently miss out on if you destroy all the spires without getting it first.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

codenameFANGIO posted:

SR 2 had hands down the best customization in the whole series, I don't get how that works.

It was running on a different engine that let them do things like have clothing sorted by layers and let you customize it with decals. That's also why the city in SR2 feels more alive and reactive, that and they had an entire development cycle to add on to the city from the first game.

3 was made on an entirely new engine and was also made while THQ was in its death throes, reading the behind-the-scenes drama it's amazing 3 was ever as good as it was!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Red Bones posted:

Mass Effect 1 uses the planet descriptions really well, because you can go read them as soon as you get the spaceship and a lot of them mention the remains of billion year old extinct alien civilisations that are older than all the old Prothean ruins you run through. It just seems like a nice detail to give the galaxy more history to it until you hit the big twist with what the Reapers are near the end of the game, where it helps the Reapers to come across as not just "the guys who killed all the Protheans", but also "the guys who have killed galactic civilisations over, and over, and over again".

In ME2 I liked that one of the side missions ends with you randomly finding a Prothean beacon, one of the macguffins that you spent the entire first game hunting down. It was a little thing but it really drove home how big the universe was, that years later people were still digging up the things.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Samfucius posted:

Basically all of the characterization in the game is really really good, even more so when it surprises you because you are playing a goddamn Wolfenstein game.

The devs are Starbreeze alum, they've literally built a career out of giving IPs much better storytelling than anybody expected.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

TontoCorazon posted:

Let's put aside everything to say how loving good a game Riddick was. The stealth in that game was like ten years ahead of its time.

Starbreeze does my favorite arbitrary collectibles because each one will usually have a joke or amusing thing that makes finding it its own reward independent of whatever it unlocks.

In Riddick the collectibles are packs of smokes and each one has its own unique brand name and packaging with a joke warning to match, like a brand called Russian Roulette with the warning that one of the cigarettes will kill you instantly.

In The Darkness the collectibles are phone numbers and you redeem them by dialing them on a payphone, with every single one having a unique audio clip.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Evilreaver posted:

The fact that people are salting about Evolve's DLC is really :psyduck: to me. Who cares? Nothing gameplay-related is in the store, not even cashsinks like XP Boosters that many F2P games have. Purely asthetics, in a game where typically your opponent sees you as a handful of pixels flying through the air after they punch your face in.

Monster skins I coulda kinda see since you're two stories tall, but hunters have weapon skins. But more importantly, why would you buy them or get mad that they're there? It's baffling.

The DLC that adds things doesn't yet; it adds the hunters/monster that will be added later like proper DLC. Nobody got mad about Saint's Row 3/4 having DLC that added content.

It's a gimmicky multiplayer-only title that's retailing at $60 with day-one DLC. That's crummy enough on its own, let alone the fact that last time this happened we got Titanfall, and before that Brink.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I'm sure that it is theoretically possible to release a full-priced retail multiplayer game with day-one DLC that is good, it's just never happened. Give it a week or two for all the ~true believers~ to get over the hype and for the developers to inevitably fail to fix the glaring pacing and balance issues while putting out paid cosmetic content.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Croccers posted:

And they have sound clips tied to them!
Michael Thornton :geno:

"'Mike and Shawn, gently caress yeah' with three exclamation points."

"I wonder how many gay cheetahs had to die to make this thing."

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

M.Ciaster posted:

poo poo dude why are you so mad about a simple neutral statement

Nah it's pretty stupid to make fun of people for adding 50s artwork to a game series whose appeal is largely based on its use of 50s culture and aesthetics.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Saying that New Vegas doesn't have Elvis songs because The King says that the tapes all broke is like saying that there you can't move corpses in Morrowind because M'aiq The Liar said that it's disrespectful to the dead. It's just the devs hanging a lampshade on their own shortcoming in a fun way.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Austrian mook posted:

Are there really people who have played every AC game?

Much like Bethesda RPGs, the loudest complainers are the people who have gotten the most enjoyment from them.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
If nothing else you have to appreciate Final Fantasy X taking place in a sunny Carribean fantasy world when the last 10 entries in the series have been the same interchangeable Magitek fantasy setting or Medieval Fantasy Tatooine.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Tengames posted:

I especially loved where they complain about how "machina" is bad, but when tidus points out they got recording spheres and magic blitzbal arenas they handwave it with "no only that machina is bad, this one is good" dunno if that hypocrisy was intentional or they just didnt think up that plot device until after they made all the minigames.

If by "handwave" you mean "made a major plot point" then yes, the inconsistency of the church's anti-technology laws was totally handwaved.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

scamtank posted:

The very last mission makes it pretty clear that it was The Son, who exterminated the Fans all across the building during his turbo-LSD spirit journey, finishing with Alex and Ash on the roof before stepping on the rainbow bridge to Valhalla. He was so hosed up that he never even saw the pavement coming.

Really, whatever misgivings I may have had with HLM2 the final level was loving incredible. The fact that developers previously said that they had listened to the complaints about the first game and there wouldn't be any bosses just made it that much more surprising whenyou wind up fighting the crazy hallucinated monster forms of The Fans, especially since I didn't piece together what all the weird monsters were supposed to be until I realized exactly why the giant swan monster had two heads :aaa:

And from a story perspective it's also like a giant Rosetta stone that makes all the jumping around in time and between characters come together in a satisfying conclusion despite half the cast having died off beforehand and the rest dying when the nukes go off at the end. Even the weird psychedelic artwork they used to promote the game and on the cover of of the 3 LP collection became that much better because the final level gives it significance:

Also the pills that The Son takes are the same ones that the one goon takes before heading out to his final mission when he decides that he wants out, which makes him being beaten to death by The Fans while tripping balls that much more sad because you realize how horrifying it must have looked to him :stonk:

Sleeveless has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Mar 19, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The DLC for Alan Wake was OK, if the people who made the game weren't so full of themselves and their lovely Twin Peaks fanfiction and its laughably predictable twist ending we could have had a whole game of fun surreal reality-warping adventures instead of a game of monotonously killing the same two guys over and over for 10 hours.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Austrian mook posted:

Why dont you go watch a movie then

Good news, Remedy's next project lets you do just that!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm surprised there hasn't been some kind of fan effort to patch the game properly.

The guy who made the patch that makes Dark Souls playable also released a Deadly Premonition patch. The developers actually integrated a lot of his support into an official patch for the game afterward.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7ETCh0tFRc

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

codenameFANGIO posted:

I like this stupid, campy story you can watch for no reason during Alan Wake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-wAaBoW408

The TVs in Max Payne 2 all have different shows that retell the first game's stories through different lenses, like a 70s cop show called Dick Justice and a period piece called Lords and Ladies.

The best was Address Unknown, which was a Lynchian noir murder mystery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUXUyItb1ys

haveblue posted:

The best video in Alan Wake is this Verizon commercial because a) it appears in the middle of an escape sequence) b) there is an achievement for stopping to watch it and c) this made some people really mad.

I thought most of the FMV in Alan Wake was pretty weak but having the guy who played Max Payne in the first game as a guest on the talk show was pretty funny.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Chaitai posted:

My guess is that it was a kickstarter donation reward to design a weapon and that is what the person chose? Just a shot in the dark here.

e: Yeah, I just looked the kickstarter up. If you donated $1,000 or more, you could design an epic, high-level weapon, armor, or artifact. I assume someone designed that as their weapon.

Can't wait to play an entire game made up of the equivalent of the Johnny Fiveaces cameo from New Vegas only dictated by Kickstarter donors instead of the devs themselves :waycool:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That's what I'm saying.

Pure 16 bit glory with none of that "pop culture" those mouthbreathers like :rolleye:

If Chrono Trigger were Kickstarted they'd be named X_MegaZone_X, KumaDarkclaw, and SunshineUnicorn and their character portraits would be Akira Toriyama trying his darndest to hide the double chins and greasy ponytails from the reference photos the backers sent in.

Dr Christmas posted:

Don't forget Biggs, Wedge, and Piette!
From Star Wars

My favorite is Mega Man X4 having all its villains be named after members of Guns N' Roses. And not even as a sly wink to the musical names of some of the characters in the original series but just because the translator's boyfriend was a big fan of the band and nobody gave enough of a poo poo to change it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It's not so much a "little thing" as it is a major system of the game, but I really like how Valkyria Chronicles fixed the problem most SPRGs fall victim to where some of your characters are way more powerful and than others, which means they get more kills and earn more experience points, which only makes them even more powerful and the other characters even more useless.

The way they fix it is by making experience points go to a single communal pool rather than to individual units. On top of that, when you do allocate it it levels up entire character classes rather than individual units: if you level up the Sniper class from level 6 to level 7 that means every sniper in your army is level 7, even future new recruits. And on top of that in battles the entire party shares a single communal pool of action points, so you only have to use units when they're useful but they also have limited ammo and diminishing returns on their stamina so it's in your best interest to not just use a single character over and over.

And you'd probably think that this would make all of your characters in each class completely interchangeable, but every unit you can recruit has a completely unique face and voice actor and a ton of little character-specific buffs so both from a strategic standpoint and a roleplaying one you have plenty of reasons to pick one person over the other. And characters can permanently die but the game is fairly generous at allowing you to revive them (if you touch them within three turns of dying they are instantly whisked away by a medic and no worse for wear afterwards) so you have consequences and a sense of danger without falling into the Final Fantasy Tactics/Fire Emblem trap of resetting every time somebody dies.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

JebanyPedal posted:

The backer content in PoE is one of the strongest arguments that backer content shouldn't exist.

I really can't wait until somebody makes a mod to remove all the backer content, both because it will improve the game and for more delicious buttery tears from the backers.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ImpAtom posted:

They're important because an uncommon number of people subscribe to "hours of game = value" no matter how many people claim they'd be happy otherwise.

Gamers are terrible about not actually knowing what they want in things. It's like complaining about indie games using pixel graphics and then complaining about hand-drawn graphics looking too "casual" or "Facebook", people want games that don't have padding or fetch quests but they also want 50-60 hours of content: people bitch about both of them even if statistically most of then will never actually finish it all regardless.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Alteisen posted:

15 year old girl that looks 6 years old and talks like one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0

:ocelot::grin:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mister Adequate posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen it mentioned in this here thread before but Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is great because it's being told by a narrator and at one point he goes to take a leak, so you just walk through the same train carriage several times until he comes back and can resume his story. The other characters listening to him discuss how truthful he's being in his tales while he's out of the room.

I really love that storyteller gimmick. Especially towards the end when it gets serious ("Do you ever think about...death?"), the character voice their disbelief with your story, and the ending reveals that Dwight D. Eisenhower was a witness to the entire thing was a great way of lending gravity to a story that could very well be complete fiction. And then the collectibles let you know how things went down in the real world, so you appreciate the way the game weaved them together that much more.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

CJacobs posted:

I liked the part where you duel a guy at the end of a level and Silas pretty clearly annihilates the dude, and then another character's like "but that guy is still alive today!" and Silas is just like "Well I didn't say I killed him! >:|"

I also enjoyed the entire level comprised of characters retelling the story of the Dalton gang's final shootout in different ways, which I think I've posted about in this same thread before :v:

The Dalton Gang showdown was extra special for me because Stephen King has used them in his stories before. I love that multiple works of fiction have taken a robbery that ended with a perpetrator taking 20+ rounds before dying and used it to such great effect.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Chard posted:

It is the best MGS song and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

Not so long as Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is around.

Tangentially related, one thing I love about MGR is that Free Dominguez, the singer of the industrial band Kidneythieves, does the vocals for Mistral's boss fight in MGR and also did the voice of pop star/AI crimefighter MG Resonance in Deus Ex: Invisible War. Intentional or no I love that they picked the one singer with a history in weird transhumanist cyperpunk games with music whose lyrics explain the themes of the game to do the music for a game all about weird transhumanist cyborgs where the music has lyrics who explain the themes of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLvgvsI5jAg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Fwb8OrvSw

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Anatharon posted:

The company that translated Fire Emblem Awakening also did Metal Gear Rising Revengeance. Apparently one of the guys at 8-4 (The translators) asked Platinum if it'd be okay if he was a little loose with the translation to add in some Americanisms, which they said okay to.

They liked his revisions so much they changed the original script to include them.

According to Legends of Localization the Ninja Turtle references when you fight in the sewers are in the Japanese version but the "take a DOOMP" joke is different and George speaks normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I used to think that the cray local rules for Triple Triad were insane, then I remembered that every other family I ever played Monopoly with had bullshit rules like giving all the money that had been lost in the game to whoever landed on Free Parking and it suddenly made so much more sense.