Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

kazil posted:

I mean, yeah some game writing is better than others but let's not kid ourselves.

No game writing is good writing.

I know it's a very old game, but Planescape: Torment's writing remains awesome. Good novel level writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

Sleeveless posted:

"If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Planes, it is that many things may change the nature of a man. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you believe can change the nature of a man, can. I’ve seen belief move cities, make men stave off death, and turn an evil hag's heart half-circle. This entire Fortress has been constructed from belief. Belief damned a woman, whose heart clung to the hope that another loved her when he did not. Once, it made a man seek immortality and achieve it. And it has made a posturing spirit think it is something more than a part of me."

:smugbert:

Means little out of context, and everything in context. I really need to reinstall this. Could be such a rough game to play combat-wise (without a walkthrough) but such an amazing story...

Useless
Sep 13, 2003

Canemacar posted:

So how did the series get the name Resident Evil for western audiences? Biohazard is obvious. Resident Evil less so.

If you try and ignore the immediate "those video games and movies" association, the title "Resident Evil" is pretty drat good.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003

TontoCorazon posted:

Full on insertion. It's actually kinda uncomfortable.

I'm all for pushing boundaries in games, but after that scene I really wish they had at least circumcised Wrex.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003

Samovar posted:

In Dishonoured 2, there's a scene in the silver mine slum area where you encounter two Overseers, one grievously injured and begging for his comrade to put him out of his misery. If you use domino ability on the two, the guy mercy killing him will also kill himself.

There's at least a few places you can pull this off. There's another part where a guard pushes a civvy into a wall of light for nefarious reasons, it's a wonderful karma move to tie them...

Useless
Sep 13, 2003

Mierenneuker posted:

What happens when you put someone in a chokehold and then just do nothing? Well, it gets awkward.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeqskaJ9Ek4

The best PYF thing from episodic Hitman is how they dropped the ball with Absolution and not only learned from their mistakes, but made possibly the most Hitman-true game of the series. New Hitman rocks.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
Holy poo poo, does that mean those actors are voicing the characters? They got real Gary Cole and Gary Busey for a hit earlier and it was magical.

Hitman 2016 best Hitman. Yes, more than Blood Money.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

A common complaint that I see a lot about Binding of Isaac is that after years of expansions and a remake the game is way too bloated and unbalanced compared to the simplicity of the original, and while I don't necessarily agree the new character they added in Afterbirth+ addresses this in an ingenious way: he has an ability that lets him consume any items on screen to gain a randomized stat bonus. So if you want to not have to sweat a zillion different status effects and bullet patterns and familiars you don't have to.

The big problem with Afterbirth+ that I've seen is that the developer decided to only test the alpha build with "core community members" who happened to be insane, top-tier "we play this game all day every day" players. As a result, the expansion is hard, and less in a Dark Souls "get more skilled" variety so much as a "the game fucks you over constantly" type.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003

JPrime posted:

Prey is an unreal amount of fun. If you miss SS2, pick up Prey.

Funny thing: the usual thing about passwords in games like this/deus ex: there's an announcement on the overhead that says something to the effect of "sticky notes, no matter how well hidden, are not an effective means of password management" :3:

One great "favorite little thing in games" is the amount of FPS-RPG games that make a point to have one security combination be 451 or 0451.

Edit: Beaten.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I just don't get why Bethesda doesn't just hire some better writers. Do the ones they have own majority shares in the company and they can't kick them out? Failsons of the CEO? IP holders?

Been playing Witcher III: Blood and Wine lately and it is almost surreal how much better the writing is than Fallout/Skyrim. There's like, ten minute conversations in W3 that I look forward to and keep going for as long as possible to hear it all.

I remember reading back in the day (aka this might not be 100% accurate) that Bethesda likes having the people who design the levels write the dialog that goes with them. Makes sense in a "level design and quest design are intrinsically tied" way, but doesn't realize that environment design and plot writing are totally different skill sets and disciplines...

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I don't have anything interesting to say, just want to join the chorus that Doom 2016 is a fantastically designed game and really worth a shot, especially if you like fast paced tons-of-enemies-everywhere shooters. It's so much more clever than it deserves to be.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I find every combat option for Control other than telekinesis kind of terrible - the guns especially are not just unsatisfying but downright a chore to use.

This is ok, though, because throwing poo poo around in that game is so drat fun you never need to do anything else. I'm on my second playthrough and learned from #1 that the best path is to dump every point into throwing until it's maxed, then every remaining point into energy, until you can throw 1-3 huge pieces of scenery at enemies without needing to stop at all.

My favourite little thing in this game is the persistent damage, however - when you throw a chunk of concrete into a row of desks, they shatter and explode and fly everywhere, and the chunks stay where they lie. What this means is after a battle is done I find myself walking around the aftermath just looking at the damage to the environment, and you can actually attribute parts of damage to events in the fight. "Man, this office got hosed up and there's a forklift under the rubble in the corner, I remember this is where I tried to peg that flying fucker and missed".

Speaking of missing - in most games missing an attack like a physics throw is just annoying. "poo poo, that was a waste, time to try again". In Control when you miss, the though is more "poo poo, I misse-HOLY gently caress I just carved a piece of that pillar out and the room behind it has exploded and I'm in a movie, I want to do that again".

Control good.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
Totally willing to accept I'm an outlier on not liking the weapons. I don't really care for "charge to shoot" so I never was a big fan of pierce, and by the time I got charge or surge I was already a convert of The Throw, so I never gave them an honest chance.

Either way, Control good.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
Control is pretty good folks

(I am in no way affiliated with the makers of control)

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
One of the best and most unique things about Ted Faro compared to other games is that you never meet him, fight him, or interact with him in any way. He's the scourge of humanity, one of the best villians in all of video games, and he died in luxury surrounded by holo-girls almost a thousand years before you were born.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Starting from a beginning point of "Let's make a game about robot dinosaurs" and making it not stupid is an accomplishment on its own.

When they laid out WHY the robots were dinosaurs and it all made complete sense I knew HZD was going to be one hell of a game. They put so much thought into everything in that world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
Hi-Fi Rush is so goddamn good, and I'm not a person who even usually likes DMC style games. So much style and personality without being obnoxious. You can tell it was made by people who had a blast working on it.

Plus the animation is staggeringly good. Better than a lot of purely animated shows good.