Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

codenameFANGIO posted:

I just got an Achievement in Whoa, Dave! for typing POO as my initials :nexus:

Will you get another for typing rear end as your initials? :butt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

After all the stories in this thread, I decided to give Space Station 13 a try. First round, I spawned and immediately began suffocating, then died within a minute. I checked the SS13 Wiki and discovered that if you talk or fart near someone as a ghost, they can occasionally hear you. I spent the rest of the round as an observer, trying to figure out what was going on and farting at people. Someone was courteous enough to not only drag my body to the medbay, but also to the escape shuttle at the end of the round.

The next round, I was the captain of the ship. I ran around a bit trying to figure out how to pick up and move items in the clunky inventory system with slight success. People started asking me to do things, and having no idea what to do, I hid in a locker for the next 20 minutes while reading the wiki some more and asking mentors for help (the game has a built in mentorhelp function that allows you to ask more experienced players for help.) Being a roleplay server, it turns out the captain doesn't really have to do anything, so I emerged from my locker with the confidence of Zapp Brannigan and demanded that my crew explain to me why the ship was such a mess and everything was covered in blood, after which a janitor quickly came over to clean up. After well over an hour, someone suggested that I call the escape shuttle to end the round, which I did. Shortly before it arrived I bumbled out of an airlock, was rescued by one of my loyal crew members, and suffocated to death on the escape shuttle.

For my third round, I waited until after the game started to join, and picked scientist as a role. I blew myself up within minutes.

For the next couple of rounds I went back and forth between automatic assignments as personal assistant and scientist, and managed to survive but made no progress toward figuring out how to actually do anything in the game. I had to leave mid-round, and having read that it's considered poor etiquette to just go AFK, I was unable to replicate my previous success at blowing myself up, so I resorted to the suicide command.

I either love this game or hate it, I'm honestly not sure.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cythereal posted:

It may seem an odd thing to praise, but I love that debris causes damage in Red Faction Guerrilla. I walked up to a propaganda billboard by the side of the road, and hit it with my hammer. The board collapsing on my character's head killed him. Been a long while since I've had a laugh like that.
The novelty of being able to destroy nearly everything in the game is awesome. When I got the Death By Committee mission (assassinate 6 people at the EDF economic summit,) I had already perfected the demolition mission at the construction site and was able to drop the crown of the building with a few shots of the nano rifle without being spotted because all the damage was several floors above them until the whole building collapses.

Jenkins' cheesy lines while he was driving you around to blow stuff up were also good for a laugh. "Someday, you'll be a computer." And after you kill him for being an EDF informant in the main storyline you can still replay his destruction missions; he drives you around telling you he doesn't resent you for killing him, then drops you off telling you he'll see you again soon.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I decided to try Space Station 13 again today. As suggested by the Wiki, I picked Chaplain as my job because you don't have to actually do anything and can roleplay as much or as little as you want. After 10 minutes of figuring out what I was doing, it was time to explore the station. I'm not sure if the botanists were trying to kill people or just get them high, but one of them offered me some honey that I ate without thinking. Two minutes later, I was back in my chapel falling down repeatedly because of methamphetamine withdrawa. Another unfortunate crewmate who had been given glowing fruit by the botanists stumbled in and started convulsing. I shook him to try to wake him up, and being unsuccessful I realized that I had lost my bible somewhere and grabbed the backup from the confessional. I went back and forth hitting him and myself with the bible like a bad slapstick routine (hitting someone with a bible heals them and inflicts a small amount of brain damage.) Seemingly recovered, I went exploring and came across a dead monkey in the hallway. As is my sacred duty I dragged it back to the chapel, put it in a coffin and dragged the coffin to the front of the chapel, and said a few words of remembrance to the empty room because like I said, sacred duty (and there might be ghosts watching and I don't want to disappoint them.) The chapel is equipped with a mass driver to launch bodies into space, and if you've read any of the SS13 stories here or in the game bugs thread it should come as no surprise that I managed to accidentally drop the dead monkey and shoot myself into space, where I avoided freezing to death by suffocating first.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

a side note: don't activate the following genes: radioactivity (duh), mutagenic field (also duh), obesity (causes the monkey to become too fat for the sheet to cover it, so it beats you up), unstable refraction (you will never see your monkey again), booster genes (randomly activates genes). also it's generally a bad idea to activate spacial destabilization (your monkey will teleport away) unless you know what you're doing
PYF little things in games: (your monkey will teleport away)

edit: an escape shuttle with lots of butts in seats

Shinmera posted:

A productive roboticist/botanist round.

GWBBQ has a new favorite as of 07:10 on Jan 30, 2016

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Space Station 13 is the gift that keeps on giving. There have been a couple of pages of people's favorite bugs.

Space Lube is a lubricant that makes the floor slippery and apparently accelerates you as you slip over multiple tiles

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Space lube slip and slide from Mushroom arrivals almost down to the bridge, hit a portal, return to the start with velocity maintained. Once a few people were rocketing through it infinitely at near light speed, the server got very mad.

Bloody Pom posted:

Reminds me of the graviton accelerator infinite loop I set up on Cogmap1. People sailing back and forth down the southern hallway at relativistic speeds until something obstructs and violently gibs them.

DWAINE is the on-board terminal/mainframe system

cock hero flux posted:

The best server crash is still the one where the guy managed to crash DWAINE by writing a bad program in it and this spilled over and also crashed the actual server

he was basically Neo

Code is not optimized

Natalya Fartz posted:

Didn't someone delete all the air on the server leading to a crash?

Johnny Joestar posted:

my only claim to fame is that i once grew so much weed that it basically almost crashed anyone who right-clicked on the pile and so i got named the WEEDLORD and my high rear end got dragged to the shuttle along with multiple crates of weed at the end

Sometimes, a typo in code can lead to hilarious results

Haine posted:

pnutz posted:

Nakar posted:

[quote="Spy_Guy" post="459208445"]
[quote="magic mountain" post="459204124"]
I'm pretty fond of the time a typo caused the refrigerators to recursively fill themselves with chicken nuggets so the entire game would immediately hang as it started. I like to imagine the universe slowly dying as endless frozen chicken nuggets pour out of every freezer in creation.

Actually, only 5% of the freezers! :eng101:
This is why it took so long to hunt down the bug. :negative:

I still remember the exact point at which someone isolated the bug and told us it was chicken nuggets. We were only like half surprised, that's what this game does to you.

it was spawning them in via a for loop that counted the wrong way wasn't it?
[/quote]

Yep.

for (var/i = rand(2,10), i > 0, i--)
vs
for (var/i = rand(2,10), i > 0, i++)

Two characters was all the difference between the server starting normally, and the server grinding to a halt 9 times out of 10 as the couple fridges around the map frantically spawned nuggets over and over, everything else stopped because all the server knew to do was KEEP SPAWNING NUGGETS. I think when one of the hosts finally figured out what was going on there were tens of thousands of nuggets in those fridges only a couple minutes after the server restarted.

This was also entirely my fault, I am the nugget criminal.
[/quote]

Turns out reusing code by copying and pasting rather than using classes and assigning objects to that class is a bad idea

Haine posted:

There were (probably still are) a lot of instances of someone needing code that already existed somewhere else, so they just copy and pasted the code in the new place and maybe changed one line or something.

This is why for a short time wizards - only in mixed mode - would spawn, barf out all their internal organs and die instantly.
"oh I need to unequip everything from these people that will become wizards, should I just use the unequip_all() proc that already exists??? naaaah I need their stuff deleted, which is not a thing I can just add to unequip_all(), I'll just copy and paste the code from unequip_all() into the proc that spawns the wizards!! this will never backfire ever and someone in the future certainly won't hate me for doing this" - probably hitler

And this one needs no comments

cock hero flux posted:

Zamujasa posted:

Name length limits (or the lack thereof) have always been comedy. I vaguely recall a time when the botany seed splicer could name seeds, and someone managed to name a seed the either the entirety of the Bee Movie script or the first chapter of Harry Potter or something.

Or the time someone managed to sneak in an autoplaying YouTube embed :stare:

That was actually incredible, they successfully managed to figure out that you could fully use HTML by writing on the printouts from the Electronics printer, I think. Everyone was really fortunate that the person who found this just used it to rickroll people and then told the coders about it because I'm pretty sure you could have done some really nasty poo poo with that.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Olaf The Stout posted:

Yo I got a request for the turbonerds here: give me the high-octane all-time greats of dwarf fortress and some more SS13. I screenshotted a ton of those SS13 stories posted a few pages back that one of you was kind enough to share, and they were catnip cocaine to my dork friends.

Show us what you have seen in your internet journies, the people love it.
The SS13 thread in games has a lot of classic stories starting with the second post http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3551842&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post415924020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

I remember once when I was exploring other Z-levels and I found the old Jurassic Station or whatever. I was accosted and charged by a man-eating plant, which was unfortunate because I was in the process of setting my jetpack aside to wear and organize my backpack full of exploration gear. I was able to scramble out the airlock, hastily opening internals on my backup emergency oxytank as I went, but the thing sprinted through the void and tackled me. I looked Death in the eye and let out a single, defiant fart, which scooted me a tile to the right, out of the maneater's grasp.

After a split second of stunned inaction on both our parts, there ensued a merry chase as I frantically farted my way in a hasty orbit around the station, pursued all the while by a ravenous spacefaring plant monster. I ultimately managed to gain enough of a lead to fart myself back into the airlock and slam it closed. Then I got stung by a space wasp and the round ended while I lay on the floor drooling and passing in and out of consciousness. The End.