Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Len posted:

Not overly surprised gamers freaked out over literally nothing.

I can't really blame them for freaking when it seemed likely to be shut down. I have a few games that won't even launch without GFWL or a really bad coding job that tricks the game into thinking you have it (and makes the game crash constantly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Alteisen posted:

True but lately it hasn't been the case, you're just a flying torso.

I still can't figure out why on earth seeing your own feet in games where you never ever need to see your own feet is such a sticking point other than some silly "my immersion!" thing. Why does anyone care?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Yeah I didn't mean to sound like an rear end in a top hat about it, but it's just that I've played tons of first-person games (mostly RPGs where immersion is a big "thing") and it's never once occurred to me to look for my feet or care if they were visible. But I hear players complain about this all the time. :confused:

Jumping puzzles and stuff though, I could understand that.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

umalt posted:

It's a sign of attention to detail; if a developer has the ability to make sure that small details like feet are visible then it shows how much care and effort they put into the game.

Though it's not always a sign of general quality, but it makes the consumer feel better about what they're playing; like a chocolate on the pillow of a hotel room, it doesn't change the quality of the visit but it does create the image that the hotel puts effort into the details.

For some people I guess? Because to me that's just really weird to automatically assume that no feet = no attention to detail because it really doesn't.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

FROM does it again with Dark Souls 2 Iron Crown DLC. Summoned phantoms will occasionally drop items that release small phrases such as 'hello!', and a specific one will even walk up to a boss and use a smug 'it's me' emote (basically pointing at themselves with both thumbs) right in their face. :haw:

You probably already know, but you can get those items from the merchant in Iron Keep. I was idling at a bonfire once when some guy invaded me and was nice enough to keep throwing down the hello! carvings until I noticed he was there. Then he killed me. :haw:

Haven't gotten the DLC yet but I love that they're basically going all out to make their NPCs smug assholes now.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

The serious amount of background and world-building put into Dishonored is incredible. One of my favourites is when you return to the pub after each mission. If you go into Havelock's room he has a journal he updates after each mission talking about Corvo's performance.

The Heart also deserves a mention. For those who haven't played the game you're given a heart that locates power-ups, it has a secondary function though. It tells you secrets about whoever you point it at including unimportant NPCS populating the game world. Or if you point it at nobody it tells you things about the area you're in. There's quite a lot of lines for each person and area, kudos to the writers.

Another neat little thing about the heart that I didn't realize until later is that it's actually the heart of the Empress, with a few modifications from the Outsider. (Not really a spoiler in my opinion, but I'm tagging it to be safe)

I think I've mentioned it before, but I also like the little things they throw in with the powers. Like whenever you use Blink, all the sound effects around you become extremely slow because you're suddenly moving so fast. And while I think they kind of over-emphasized the low chaos/high chaos thing, I do like that how you choose to complete missions has aftereffects - like if you choose not to kill someone you might see or hear about them later.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

Agreed about chaos. It'd be great if it didn't affect the plot so much. It's good that you get benefits for not killing etc. but no game that tries to have a good and bad ending succeeds. Both endings end up lightweight.

The high chaos ending isn't even really that bad all things considered. I think the worst part is when you get to the very last mission and Sam suddenly decides he doesn't like the way you've been killing so many people, so he fires off a shot to alert the guards in the area.

haveblue posted:

The Dishonored world is the best thing about the game. It's grim without being cliched and steampunk without being annoying.

Yeah it's one of the few games I've played where the world just feels genuinely hosed up and on the decline. Like when you go into some random apartment, find a pile of corpses and hey that's normal in this place.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Ryoshi posted:

It's funny, I kept reading really mediocre reviews of it but everything listed as a negative only made me want it more:

"If you don't do side missions you can be underlevelled for story content!" Uh, cool, that means I can have a handle on the difficulty myself and go grind a bit if I get stonewalled somewhere.

"You don't see that many people on any given map!" Well, you can see enough that it doesn't seem super empty, but the populations in each instance are low enough that performance stays good (at least so far) and you'll never run out of things to kill.

"There are random loot drops!" gently caress it, take my money already.

I can definitely see how it wouldn't be for everyone though.

I don't see anything all that negative in what you listed, but nothing revolutionary to the point of "OMG must buy!" either. You could take that stuff and apply it to a ton of games.

I thought people were just losing their poo poo about it because of Bungie. :shrug:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

lenoon posted:

Yes I'm also absolutely sure this is what will happen, but hopefully somewhere in the bungee offices there's a big old poster with halo 3 and reach's player numbers by month after release charted against halo 4's multiplayer figures. Something to look at and say "won't be making those mistakes".

Do you just mean mistakes in general? Cause Bungie didn't make Halo 4.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tardcore posted:

Because that's silly, you can't overlevel in Dark Souls. :v:

You can kind of gently caress yourself Dark Souls 2 multiplayer by leveling a lot and getting your soul memory really high really fast. Unless they fixed that somehow in the patches.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Sobatchja Morda posted:

That just reminds me of the medical wonder that is Gordon Freeman's HEV-suit. It's able to monitor your health, work it out into a percentage, protect you from radiation, provide anti-toxins when you've been poisoned, heal you, and administer morphine. Although that last part does make me suspect that Gordon's in a Crysis 2-type of situation, where he's just a mess of broken bones held upright by a mechanical harness.

There's a suit in Fallout New Vegas that injects you with stimpacks and Med-X in combat, except that it just uses regular stuff from your inventory so you end up constantly getting addicted. :shepface:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

New Vegas' Old World Blues dlc also has an enemy that is a crazy medical harness suit that still has a skeleton inside.

Yeah, I guess the Trauma Harness is basically the suit from Crysis 2 except with a nifty clear space helmet so you can see the corpse inside. :stonk: The terminal entries detailing the test runs of the suits are a really interesting little tidbit of the DLC.

The hazmat guys from Dead Money also seem to be like that, since they're the same workers from 200 years ago just trapped in the suits by corrosion of the release mechanisms.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Boob Dylan posted:

I've been replaying Skyrim lately, and one little thing I like involves fighting the Silver Hand. Most of their members have Cure Disease potions (or items used in making Cure Disease potions) on their person, which makes a lot of sense considering the type of faction they are: anti-werewolf/vampire, the latter of which spreads like a disease.

Also it was mentioned in the last thread, but if you look at certain river (like the one south of Whiterun) you can see fish spawning up the waterfalls :3:

The Silver Hand are kind of funny because looking through their stuff you can tell that they actually know gently caress all about werewolves. They all carry silver swords (and sometimes ingots), which in Skyrim have absolutely no effect on werewolves. I've never really seen anything to indicate that they give a gently caress about vampires, so it's possible they're also dumb enough to think lycanthropy can be cured with the potions. They're basically just a bunch of overzealous idiots according to most people in-game.

The other "supernatural hunter" faction in the base game, the Vigilants of Stendarr, will cure your disease if you're sick and happen to run into them on the road.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Silver was super effective on werewolves and undead in the earlier Elder Scrolls games so the Silver Hand are probably just carrying on that.

And yeah the Vigilants do seem a far more competent group.

That was my point though, everything they know is based on old legends/rumors instead of any actual expertise on werewolves. And a few people in the game consider them to basically be bandits because they kill a lot of innocent people and are just generally zealous assholes.

Then the Vigilants kind of get that big "I told you so" in Dawnguard, so they're only sort-of competent. :v:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Taerkar posted:

In the earlier games Iron and Steel weapons wouldn't affect many types of creatures but silver would. Silver weapons werea bit weaker than steel so were really only good against the supernatural.

I believe some stuff needed weapons higher than silver (or enchanted, no matter what the enchant.)

That's true, but I'm going to take a wild guess here that the Silver Hand characters haven't played Oblivion or Daggerfall or whatever, which is what I was getting at. In the world they live in (as in the game of Skyrim), silver is worthless against werewolves and they're dumb for using it. Nothing more than that.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Sep 24, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Desk Lamp posted:

That's his point though, those games take place hundreds of years before Skyrim, so what was once useful gameplay information is now old folk legend.

Except they really should know the old legends are bullshit by the time you encounter them because they have actual werewolf test subjects held captive in their compounds and apparently have been doing that a long time.

But this is getting kind of ridiculous - Silver Hand are ignorant about their own cause, the game blatantly spells it out for you and that was pretty much all I was trying to get at.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

If you play on PS4 your controller lights up accordingly. I'm pretty sure every post I've made in this thread is about PS4 games and how the interact with your controller.

Yeah, it's kind of obnoxiously bright when it does that. Just like a good flashlight I guess! :haw:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Judge Tesla posted:

This is probably also one of the reasons the PS4's controller has like a 3 hour charge.

But it's so IMMERSIVE.

Sometimes the controller thing is used in a cool way, but I don't really understand the need for your controller to become a spotlight everytime you flick on your flashlight in-game.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Radio Paranoia posted:

I was mucking about in the latest Dark Souls 2 DLC and got invaded by an NPC. I was expecting the guy to run up and try to face gently caress me as usual but the bastard used chameleon to turn into a barrel and popped out when I was inching towards a bloodstained chest.

Normally only dickish human invaders did stuff like that. And I thought the earlier DLC NPC phantoms waving was a nifty bit of added "humanity".

:darksouls:

Some of the DLC invaders will also use the wood carvings to talk to you and will do gestures to taunt you if you get killed. :v:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Werner-Boogle posted:

Is it worth buying SoM for the 360? I heard somewhere that they cut back some of the features on the old console systems, but I don't have a next-gen console and I doubt my crappy PC could run it.

The game won't be released for the 360 until November 18, so I doubt anyone could tell you except maybe game reviewers with advance copies or something. The only thing I can find is that the nemesis system might be scaled down a bit in the 360 while most of the core mechanics will be the same, but the articles are like 7 months old so I don't know if that's still the case.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Werner-Boogle posted:

Alright thanks. Is there a demo or something I could download? Do games even still do demos? I just don't wanna drop 60$ on a game my PC might not run.

I haven't tried it myself, but it looks like you might be able to get a decent discount here using the coupon code OCTOBE-R25OFF-GMGXXX

Should take it down to something like $38 but I don't know if it's still working as of right now or not (haven't tried it). Otherwise just google around, a lot of places seem to be doing deals on it so it's not the full on $50 price tag.

Otherwise if you know your computer's specs, most places like Steam will list the minimum requirements for games. Which I realize isn't always exact but it could give you a ballpark idea if this will run or not.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 12:44 on Oct 3, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Just buy it on nuuvem for 28 monies

You might want to be careful with that though, because the game was region locked after release without any real notification going out. So there's a lot of people who bought it for cheap outside their region with unplayable copies of the game now. I don't know how Brazil (?) fits into that though.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Captain Lavender posted:

I don't really know how "engines" work necessarily; but I've notice that I love almost every game I play with the Havok engine.

Dark Souls, the Arkham games, Kingdoms of Amalur, Shadow of Mordor. They're all just so fun to play.

I remember a time where the "Unreal" engine was a big selling point, but I was never really impressed with that.

Dark Souls and Kingdoms of Amalur both used "in-house" game engines, while the Batman games use Unreal Engine 3 and Shadow of Mordor uses something called LithTech Jupiter EX (with modifications from the whole nemesis thing).

Havok just sticks out and is memorable because they insist on plastering their huge yellow logo all over most games so it's the first thing you see when you load them up. And because they make loving hilarious ragdolls.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kanfy posted:

Now to cleverly tie this to the actual topic; in Fallout 3 there's a :nws: beheaded corpse of a man named Gibson who is a reference to the similarly beheaded Jean-Jack Gibson :nws: from the 1988(!) story-focused video game(!!) Snatcher. If you loot him you even find the exact same note you find from Jean-Jack in Snatcher.

The note on his body is also a hint that the key on his body allows you to unlock a tiny model house inside one of the homes in Minefield.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kavak posted:

He died the greatest hero Tamriel has or will ever know. I still twitch when I hear Cliff Racer sound effects.

The greatest hero who sends you on a tedious fetch quest in Skyrim. But the reward is pretty cool I guess.

I also like that even after death Sinderion is still doing the same poo poo in Skyrim as he did in Oblivion.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

When I accidentally activated the quest "A Return to Your Roots," I just laughed and kept walking, which is what I should've done the first time I met the fucker at the West Weald Inn back in Oblivion.

Really that quest is a lot easier than Oblivion's. I just explored Blackreach in general and found 44 of the things (plus they respawn).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Starhawk64 posted:

Man, Elder Scrolls lore is messed up. Then again, sci-fi elements in fantasy settings seems to be a common trope.

Anyway, I did like how some games had different dialog for already completing a quest's objective before starting it. "I need you to find this thing for me." "Actually, I already found it." "You did? Huh, good job." It's a great thing, and sometimes I like to see how many quests I can complete before activating them.

This is great if you ever replay a game because you can just kind of knock out a bunch of quests at once.

And as mentioned earlier, a lot of the old Elder Scrolls lore was written by a sort of crazy alcoholic. He recently came out with more ES stuff, called C0DA, which is basically what happens when nobody is around to tell him "hey Michael maybe that's a little too weird and incoherent."

Of course now I'm probably going to be crucified by rabid Morrowind fans. :ohdear:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

He did the voice of Captain Krasnov, while it looks like Yuri Lowenthal (another "everyman" VA) voiced tons of the extras.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Another related TES lore thing I love was some in-game books discussing those things in the sky. I'm paraphrasing:

"Oh, those things in the sky are other realms. See, we can't really grasp entire realms like that, so our minds just view them as spheres. Oh and the little lights in the sky are where some spirits broke the sky when leaving. The sun is just a big hole that a bigger spirit left."

The only downside to this is that whenever realms of oblivion actually show up in the game, they usually don't live up to what you were expecting. Hermaeus Mora's realm was pretty well done, but anything is an improvement over endless stretches of lava.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Dad Jokes posted:

In Fallout: New Vegas, there's a holotape you can find in Boulder City near an NCR corpse that mentions several names of soldiers, like Jeffery Hui. If you look at the nearby memorial for NCR troops that died there, you can actually find their names on the memorial's model.

Most of the names on the memorial are also either the developers names or references to stuff (like one is a reference to Fallout 2). And if you attack the memorial, the NCR soldier looking at it will get pissed and you have to pass a speech check to calm him down (or leave town for a few days).

I might have mentioned it before, but the Wrecked Highwayman is another nod to Fallout 2. It even plays specific songs from the old soundtrack when you get near it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Back the gently caress up a minute.

Mario 3 has a NG+ mode?!

I don't remember if it's a whole different mode, but if you beat the game and restart it without resetting the console, you'll start out with 28 P-wings in your inventory.

The original Super Mario had one too, except it just replaced all the goombas with beetles (if I'm remembering correctly, it's been like 20 years since I played it)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

What were the villagers saying when they said "um yehrnoff" and "ayy ahrgaw"? Spelled phonetically obviously

I don't see any dialogue of theirs that remotely matches that, but this might help.

E: Annnd beaten like a ganado of course. :v:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Twitch posted:

Then in Shinji Mikami's next game, God Hand, Gene never goes up or down ladders.

Seriously, if you haven't played God Hand, whenever you press the prompt to climb a ladder, Gene just jumps up the entire length. God Hand is basically Resident Evil 4 but a beat-em-up, and is full of just as many awesome little things.

In The Evil Within, you do get an animation to go up/down ladders, but there's no fall damage penalty if you just drop off the ladder and fall, even from heights that look like they'd be fatal.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

mng posted:

I can't remember what game/games have it, but for games with obscene loading times, they need to incorporate a little mini game or something. Or let you twirl around a model or something to pass the time, I think Skyrim had that.

The loading times aren't long on some versions of the game, so I think the main reason you have stuff like the Skyrim's movable objects or Oblivion's loading bar is so you can tell when the game is just being slow and when it's crashed. Even with all the autosaving they do, every loading screen transition is a gamble.

muscles like this? posted:

A lot of PS4 games let you do something while the game installs, with varying degrees of success.

It's an improvement over Heavy Rain's "here's some paper, fold an origami crane while you wait for this huge install."

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The innkeeper or merchant thing was actually true for a lot of players until a patch made a special case for those two NPCs in particular. An NPC likes you a tiny bit more every single time you talk to them, so naturally the innkeeper and weapon store owner tend to have a lot of "affinity" with you by this point in the game since you've been talking to them and skipping through their 2 lines of dialogue nonstop for pretty much the whole game.

So a lot of players with no knowledge that this system even exists (because the game does literally nothing at all to communicate it to you) arrive at the huge climactic fight with the dragon only to be told that the innkeeper is their true love and they must fight the dragon to save him.

Every NPC in the game is pansexual.

This is pretty much the reason all the guests at my wedding in Skyrim were blacksmiths, merchants and a few minor quest givers.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Deltasquid posted:

Nothing beats having Tullius at your wedding because you talked to him a bunch of times right before marrying somebody. I wonder if it's possible to get both Tullius and Ulfric to attend if you run back and forth doing quests for them before having to choose a side?

Tullius doesn't really get involved in anything until you join the Legion side, so I doubt it. Balgruuf is the one that sends you on errands to Ulfric mostly. Too bad, because I remember someone posting about how some people from opposing factions showed up at his wedding and it turned into all out brawl to the death. :v:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

It really doesn't matter who you side with because in both cases at the end the leaders (yes even Tullius) tell you outright that the Thalmor are the real problem and another war is coming. I usually go Imperial because every Stormcloak NPC I meet is a moron and it kind of feels weird to join if I'm playing an elf or basically anything not Nord.

Parts Kit posted:

Being a werewolf in Morrowind was great because you ran fast as gently caress and could move even faster by bunny hopping everywhere. You could just bunny hop into a town, kill some random person, and jump away before anyone gets near you.

Also the confused dog growls when you try to use a door or something was a nice touch.

Being a werewolf in Skyrim is great if you're trying to cut down on fast travel. You can sprint really fast, your stamina lasts pretty much forever and with the perks they added in the DLC you can one-shot pretty much everything with a lunge attack.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Judge Tesla posted:

The Dragonborn probably won't show up ever again anyway, since you pretty much sell yourself to Hermaeous Mora for power, roll on Elder Scrolls 6 where you get to fight the corrupted Dragonborn though.

"But the Dragonborn is really powerful and beat Alduin!" Tell that to Mirrak, Mora doesn't give a gently caress. :v:

I don't know about the first two, but the Nerevarine conveniently disappeared in Akavir and the Hero of Kvatch (probably) became the next Sheogorath. So yeah it's pretty likely the Dragonborn won't show up except possibly in dialogue or something. That's kind of the problem with a game that lets the player character be whatever they want.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Parts Kit posted:

Yeah it's pretty fun in Skyrim, but it's just not as absurdly fast as in Morrowind. A fun glitch I had with the Immersive Patrols mod is that the Imperials didn't fight me while transformed since I was in that faction. Even when I started slaughtering entire patrols.

But what's really great is when bodies persist and no one gives a gently caress about it. Case in point from my last run:

I think it's kind of funny that the Dawnguard, the faction dedicated to wiping out vampires for being maneating monsters, doesn't give a poo poo about me being a werewolf. It's understandable if I'm in human form and they just don't know, but even if I wander their HQ fully transformed no one turns hostile or even bats an eye.

As for the persistent corpses thing, the cultists from Dragonborn never despawn either so forever after you kill them you'll hear the corpse dialogue every time you enter that town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kay Kessler posted:

One of the more common bugs back when Skyrim was released was a dragon skeleton would sometimes refuse to disappear if it was killed in Whiterun. Nearly everyone who had that happen to them formed a bond with that loving thing.

It doesn't just refuse to disappear in Whiterun, dragon corpses will follow you around Skyrim as you fast travel. So you show up and this dead dragon you killed 60 hours ago will just fall out of the sky everywhere you go. It's never been fixed.

I've also had dead horses and draugr do this (in areas where no draugr should be). :stare: