Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

So when you skip borderlands credits there's a popup "telltale games will remember that"

I actually don't get it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Tales of Phantasia.

Yeah, it's super old, but the art, battle system and somewhat generic story holds up. I played through the snes version several times in my life and I really enjoyed it. I did not enjoy any of the updated versions since they cocked up the art and a lot of the mechanics but eh.

ToP is one of my favorite old school rpgs, the battle system was really unique at the time and the story was quite good. I recommend it to anybody who likes old SNES era games.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

ApeHawk posted:

ANOTHER COOL WITCHER 3 THING: I was doing a story quest, and in it I have to find a shapeshifter to take the form of someone to get someone else out of prison. Well, one of the random monster contracts ended up with me having to capture and confront a shapeshifter. A contract that I took from a notice board three hours before getting to that part in the story. I was given the chance to ask him if he could help me with the story quest. He still declined, but it was still neat that the game could infuse the story quests and side quests into the same world, unlike most games.

The game also loves making side-quests feel a lot more than side-quests, too. They are their own stories, not just short trips for gold and exp.

This is something that I adore about this game. I always completely ignore sidequest in huge games these days, because drat, I can barely justify spending 20 hours on a game as it is, but in the witcher 3 I really enjoy just doing random quests. They all are unique in their way and feel fleshed out.

Witcher 3 is the best RPG I've played in many, many years, including dragon age, mass effect and others.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Tales of phantasia was fun, it was a classic snes rpg with a cool side-scrolling battle system, and the story was not retarded.

I think I'm gonna replay it soon actually.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

holy poo poo that guy is a weirdo

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

scamtank posted:

So a new Dwarf Fortress major release hit.

Holy poo poo Dostngosp Teachevils is the best name ever.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

In dishonored 2 i overhears a guars telling another how he missed swimming, and how he used to be really good at it. While trying to knock him unconscious i accidentally nudged him into the water.

He drowned.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ok I am really, really easily pissed off at games where you die a lot but at this point I feel like I need to try a dark souls game. Which one should I play first?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Gonna add my absolute fascination with BotW, I'm not a huge zelda geek but drat am I impressed by the game. I watched my roomate play it for a while, and in like 15 minutes he discovered like 3 things I didn't see while playing the same part before. And the little details are just incredible. If you go too close to a fire with your wooden shields, it burns. If an arrow gets stuck in your shield, you can retrieve it for yourself. If you grab a chicken and jump off a clip it's allow you to glide down safely. If you cook (which is done by holding multiple ingredients and throwing them in a fire) and you add a fairy it'll infuse your stuff with extra healing. There are assassins hidden as normal travelers on the roads sometimes. And most importantly you can climb everywhere which is such a huge improvement compared to most open world games, as terrain restrictions are really annoying.

There's also so much of the world, after I left the first area I traveled to the next mission marker, and after 15 minutes of running and exploring I thought I'd be almost there yet. It was not even a quarter of the way! And that's from one area from about 10 or so, the game is massive.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

This is not the light-hearted Zelda you once knew

The fairy is fine and flies away, she just sprinkles some healing into the food.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

One of the things I like about BotW is the memories you find of the protagonist, princess zelda.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I finished Planescape Torment a few days ago for the first time and it was fantastic. The reason why I finally managed to play it all the way through is that there is now a remastered version that handles all the annoying mods you would usually need to install, like resolution or text changer, bugfixes etc.

It's really well done, not too expensive, and a great way for all those who never played it to experience it.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Katana ZERO is an awesome game and everyone should play it (unless they don't like blood and a dark story). There's two three little things I want to mention, first being telling a receptionist that you're cosplayer as an anime character because ANIME IS THE ONLY LOVE I'LL EVER KNOW when she asks about your katana and... bathrobe(?).

The second needs a small setup. Whenever you beat a "stage", or I guess get to a checkpoint, you get a replay of your performance which you can slow down, rewind, etc. You get used to where things cut for both the gameplay and, consequently, the replay as well. At one point in the game you go through a marathon level, and I really appreciate that they have the replay for the entirety of it, not just each floor.

Oh and the music is awesome, and the devs made it so that the main character puts in his earbuds before the music starts, and stops when he takes the buds out.

I played this as it was compared to hotline miami in feel and difficulty, and it really is excellent. The time manipulation being an actual existing effect, even being the main component of the storyline, and not just a gameplay feature as in other games, is really cool.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

When I figured out that there were only 4 dungeons and that they were pretty short I was ecstatic. I played a poo poo load of Zelda games and the overworld was always way more fun to me than the stupid dungeons. Botw is the best Zelda by a mile and I'm happy they're doing another one like it.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I really hope they make a dishonored 3 at some point, it's an amazing series and the only stealth game I truly enjoyed. The lore is also fascinating and the death of the outsider add on was great for exploring some of the more mysterious stuff. The gimmicks some level had, such as the mansion level in dishonored 2, were also fun as hell .

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Man I really want to play control but the motion blurr is horrendous! I only managed to turn it of by using a fan made solution thst stopped working after the first play.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Steam review: mad max | playtime: 143 hours | not recommended

The game was quite fun but after playing roughly 89 hours side quests and characters have gotten repetitive and I don't feel myself drawn to the world anymore.

The author has received this item for free for review purposes

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Man sleeping dogs was such a great game, I still hope for a sequel even though it's never going to happen.

HK was such an amazing setting and the story was really good as far as I remember. The killing animations were brutal as gently caress though.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Those things are just part of an authentic Chinese cultural representation

That's why the untitled subtitle of sleeping dogs is "no Wei"

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

In preparation for getting doom eternal ice decided to actually try doom again, which I bounced off hard since my old piece of poo poo PC couldn't handle it.

It's really good you guys. I feel betrayed for not playing it before. The whole heavy music with demons everywhere is great, and the weapon design is not joke the best I've ever seen. The weapons all seem hefty and badass, even the normal pistol and combat shotgun seem powerful and the later huge rear end weapons are just a delight.the upgrades are all worth it and make a huge difference too instead of "5 percent faster reload" that has gotten so common.

Can't wait to play eternal.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

You can also get rid of the smile and the game even comments on how you now just look like a sad old man.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I'd really like to play the sd3 remake but not before it's around 20 bux. I love the series but I'm not gonna pay 50 bux for it.

On a thing I enjoy in games: I've been playing xcom 2 again with the war of the chosen dlc and its very cool how you turn from a small scrappy group of soldiers with human equipment into power armor wearing, plasma toting badass es who just mow down enemies that were a huge issue before.

The sense of scaling is very nice and rewarding.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

jojoinnit posted:

Just want to mention that Control is 50% off on PC as of today from the Epic Games Store but you also get a £10 (I assume this will be a $10 coupon for Americans) for buying and installing anything even if it's free.

The free game this month on the Epic store is GTAV which I beat back in the day on Xbox 360 but haven't looked at since. I "bought" GTAV and it gave me the coupon for £10 off making Control £13.99. Between the two I've got a lot of gaming this month for very little money and I've heard so many good things about Control in this thread. I've also heard what a shitshow GTAV online is so I'm kinda morbidly curious to take a look without needing to buy Xbox gold and a new copy.

Thanks for the info about the coupon, I'm gonna check that out.

And gta v online isn't bad a such, it's just blatantly designed in a way that will keep you doing missions over and over and over so you get the fun cars and activities. I remember trying to play it legitimately for a bit and just stopping in disgust when I accidently paid 250k (about an hour of doing missions) just to change the name of my ingame company. I used cheats after that.

It's fine but very grindy .

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Kitfox88 posted:

Do you no longer get banned for cheating online cash because of so I’d play it again

you absolutely do unless you pay for a cheat tool, which I didn't, but there was a leak of a paid tool which i grabbed for free. I did this 3 months ago and haven't been banned yet.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

orcane posted:

Haha that's the one thing you reliably DO get banned for.

Don't mess with their revenue streams. But if you just want to make everyone in your session explode, you might get away with it for ages :v:

The tools are really funny I have to admit, the only one I used on the reg on other cheaters or people who were just being annoying, was one where you made people get out of their vehicle. If you're clever about it people never figure out that someone's doing it, and you can ruin their day when making them eject in a bad moment. You also see how many people use cheats and it's honestly a ton. Like, a solid quarter to a third.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

rear end-penny posted:

In Enter the Gungeon, if you play as the Hunter character, you can pet your dog's head. Mentioned this to a friend who played a couple rounds with me once and kind of forgot about the game, this was all he needed to hear to buy it, hahaha.

AFAIK this is really recent and only because the Witter account that tracks if you can pet dogs in video games noted that you can't. The creator saw it and swiftly added it.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

The nemesis system owned so much, killing an orc so many times his head is mostly metal plates and he can only scream a guttural "aaargghhogoghaaaarrr" when he sees you was funny as hell.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This is why Dawn of War 2 ruled so hard. You had 4 small squads in the space marine campaign and would take on an entire RTS map of orks/eldar/tyranids.

I only played the dow2 beta for a while because I think I had no money to buy the main game at the time, but as someone who was a hardcore company of heroes and dawn of War Player it was just the loving best. The squad, cover and suppression system they took from coh worked beautifully with dow and I was enjoying it so loving much. Sadly many people had a problem with this because it was very different from dow.

Dow3 being very lackluster was such a dissapointment for me.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

The assault marine squad impact in a group of unsuspecting enemies was so satisfying. Having a dreadnought crash into them with dual melee weapons attached and going hog wild was just the icing on the cake.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

While we're talking about ff7r, I enjoyed the late game part a lot where Tifa and aeris buddied it up and made fun of clouds complete inability to deal with women. It was funny seeing them actually calling him out for being a bit of a weirdo about it, instead of the usual anime rpg tropes.

In the end I was pleasantly surprised that most people in the game were actually pretty normal people.

Except for absurdly frequent abrupt nodding and grunting instead of saying "OK"

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I really wish they'd make a tyranny 2, it was one of my favorite ISO rpgs of the last years.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

My favorite little thing in games related to puzzles is when there are no puzzles in the non-puzzle game im playing.

If I'm playing a 2m bearded guy with an axe who brutally kills legions of enemies I don't want to stop every half an hour to do a puzzle that is so easy that it's just annoying to solve instead of fun.

Either make them environmental (physics, magic, whatever) where I can solve them in a few different ways, or make them explorative, in that I need to find out a way up or over that works.

Ancient civilisation mechanics that involve some sort of ring, lever, key or anything is just annoying.

(I realize I might be alone in this but I just hate puzzles)

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://i.imgur.com/xSK1dNF.mp4
There's a perk in Ghost of Tsushima that lets you burn resolve points (built up during combat) to heal yourself from a lethal wound. I ignored it for a while, thinking if I'm down to that option I might as well just restart the encounter. But then I realized its true use: skipping a bunch of the slow and boring segments climbing handholds down cliff faces, in favor of pancaking yourself to death and self-resurrecting. Literally taking damage to save time.

There's one where you can park our roll when landing by pressing a button, which keeps you from taking damage. I just got it and didn't test it much, the text said it's not unlimited tho.

Ghost of tsushima has been mentioned a lot already, rightfully so, because it is a truly great game. My favorite thing is the combat, which really manages to get the feeling of being a samurai right, while you're not invincible either.

A small thing I learned about yesterday which I like a lot: when you do a lot of ghost (stealth) actions, the weather becomes darker and more stormy. This is doubly cool, when you remember that storms have a very specific meaning when talking about the Mongol invasion of Japan. They were not good news for them at all.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like using Ghost Weapons kind of ruins that feel for me because it's a lot less cool and choreographed when you just drop a smoke bomb and then chain kill half the group.

Arguably thats one of the main themes of the game, by using the tactics of thieves, that make everything a lot easier, jin is losing his honor and identity as a samurai.

I kinda wish there was a honor meter in the game, and that the ending or something would change depending on how much shadow weapons you use. Trying to go through the game with no shadow weapons would be a great difficulty mode that doesn't just make enemies have more health.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

And thus begins the great shower derail of 2020, in which goons are once again confused by the concept of hygiene

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

SubNat posted:

One thing I like about games in general now is game passes/subscriptions.
It's just so nice to be able to slap down like 15 bux for a month when some interesting title or something comes out, instead of dropping 45-60bux on something I know I might just play through once and then never touch again.
(If it's a game I like, I'll occasionally play through it once, then again a year or two later when the DLC is out.)

The games I regularly come back to are rare, so it's just a way more practical solution when it comes down to it.
Even if I were to grab 2 month passes for a single game(launch + once all the dlc is out.), and not touch anything else, it's still cheaper than buying the game + dlc long after release usually.

The only games where it doesn't make sense are multiplayer and etc ones, for people that play games regularly over long periods of times.

Same, and it's not even 15 bucks more more like 4 if you don't need the absolute new games. And in the case of Xbox live it's 4 dollars for even brand new games like the new flight simulator. I've saved hundreds of bucks by just getting one of these passes, playing one or two games I wanted for a month and then stopping. Stuff is wild.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

food court bailiff posted:

The battle system inFF7R gels with me so hard, I’m having an absolute blast and it is going to ruin all other JRPGs for me. In addition, I take back everything bad I ever said about real-time-with-pause systems because clearly it can be done in an awesome and satisfying way.

Absolutely same, I liked turn based fine but ff7r is just a delight. Even at the end I didn't get tired of it and the extra challenges were fun as hell.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I highly recommend his Planet Zoo videos because things go just a tad dark in them (The Planet Coaster one is amazing too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19JYOVPmwDM

All his videos since what seems to be a focus-shift from regular Let's Plays a year or two back are amazing, because the main conceit is "how can I succeed while doing literally everything wrong?" Or just good old "Can I do A Thing? Oh I can! ...How can I abuse this?..."

He is the only let's player I actually followbecause his videos are really funny most of the time. The zoo tycoon ones had me belly laughing and most videos are solid. What makes me appreciate him is the effort he shows when making a hosed up construction, some of the construction he does as a joke take hours.

His planet coaster videos are also recommended.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

John Murdoch posted:

I dig the fact that Control doesn't call attention to the Oldest House going non-Euclidean almost immediately. And building on that, I appreciate that Remedy puts effort into pacing things out properly, including the lore collectibles. By the time you've gone through the subtle intro stuff followed by the less subtle intro stuff, then you finally get a more formal explanation of what's going on, and then finally you get a joke about disappearing bathrooms. Alan Wake had the same kind of flow.

I appreciate all the control talking itt because even though I absolutely love weird scp stuff, and the game has awesome visuals and a nest story from the few hours I've seen, I just keep stopping after 45 minutes or so and then don't touch it for weeks.

The combat just hugely annoys me, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

RareAcumen posted:

They had another update recently that adds all kinds of old school options that're basically cheats like invincibility, one-hit kills, damage reduction, faster energy gain, snap aim tracking and such so if you're really just interested in the story, fire it up again and tweak it till you literally cant die and steamroll everything at your leisure.

That is actually exactly what I needed, Thanks for the Info!