Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012
I've been doing some reading about hydroponics horticulture. I understand there are several different methods, such as NFT, DWC.. I'd like to get a kit or make something DIY for a small, indoor setup in my apartment.

1. Any recommendations on an inexpensive kit to get my feet wet? (<$100)
  2. What kind of vegetables or plants are you growing?
  3. Can just about anything be grown in a hydroponics setup? (Flowers also?)
  4. Is it possible to use seeds in a hydroponics setup, or are the seeds only allowed to germinate first?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

There is probably a weed growing thread in tcc that would give you some wonderful info for growing all sorts of plants.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Mr. Bubbles posted:

I've been doing some reading about hydroponics horticulture. I understand there are several different methods, such as NFT, DWC.. I'd like to get a kit or make something DIY for a small, indoor setup in my apartment.

1. Any recommendations on an inexpensive kit to get my feet wet? (<$100)
  2. What kind of vegetables or plants are you growing?
  3. Can just about anything be grown in a hydroponics setup? (Flowers also?)
  4. Is it possible to use seeds in a hydroponics setup, or are the seeds only allowed to germinate first?

Thanks!

I dabbled in hydroponics for a short while, but didn't get chance to replenish a five gallon bucket due work problems and 2 of my cucumber plants died. Didn't bother getting it started again because work related issues kept screwing me over.

I don't know if it's possible to start hydroponics without spending a little more.

DWC kit - $50
Nutrients - $40
Grow lights - $???

Are you able to grow outside?

Cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, and lettuce seem to be the favorites for hydroponics. Pretty much anything that grows above ground and doesn't have colossal root system.

I have no idea about flowers.

It's very possible to germinate seeds hydroponically. Start with a small rock wool cube inside a small bowl with some water under a grow light or outside (tricky if it's extremely hot or cold outside or weather in general). Once seed has sprouted about 2 inches, you can move the cube into the bucket system. That's how I did mine.

The bucket above is the easiest and very basic hydroponic setup you can have. The only problem is that it doesn't contain pH Up, pH Down,pH meter, or thermometer. However you should just try growing something at first to see how it goes and to see if you're going to stick with it.

Here was my attempt outside:

The plants started sprawling on the ground, but unfortunately I didn't refill bucket within a 2 day period and they died.

ijii fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 8, 2014

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012
Thanks! That helps a lot. My plan is to have the setup inside. I have an area next to a huge window/sliding door that gets a fair amount of sunlight--so I was planning to hold off on the grow light for now. Thanks for the DWC kit link. I've actually been eyeing that and another model on amazon. So, with DWC, the pump only serves to aerate the nutrient solution beneath the plants? -- there is no pump for water movement? I've also seen a DWC kit that has a circular apparatus on the top--do you know if this type circulates water?

Thanks again.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I'm pretty sure there was a hydroponics thread in the hobby subforum at one point but it seems to have fallen into the archives.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 11, 2014

• Locked thread