Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Saw it and loved it. The finale definitely wasn't quite as focused and poetic as the first, or even the rest of this film, but I still got a great kick out of it.

I think the movie did portray exactly how Drago would've dominated the alpha, when it showed him using that shouting intimidation thing against Snotlout's dragon. Size literally doesn't matter when it comes to this, as we see when Toothless successfully challenges the alpha at the end.

Sure, it's might not be immediately realistic (in a movie about fictional fantasy creatures with made-up sociological rules, natch) that tiny things are able to exert dominance over things hundreds of times their own size, but it synchs with this series' overall theme of bonds and empathy. Besides, tiny dogs are able to dominate big dogs all the time; this is just an extreme version of that. :v:

The one thing I will say I don't understand is why Hiccup was able to shake Toothless from the alpha's control at the end, when he couldn't do so just a couple hours earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Triskelli posted:

now that I've actually seen the movie, I kinda see where the complaints are coming from. The closest Drago came to torturing the dragons was... Yelling and waving his harpoon around. Oh and smacking the chains the Bewilderbeast was pulling the boat with. Also, Hiccup keeps going on about "keeping the peace", it got really weird by the end
See...to me, the connection between rider and dragon, and even dragon and other dragons, is entirely one of empathy, both positive and negative. I think something about Drago that people might miss (because it's sort of inferred instead of outright said) is that how Drago controls his dragons is actually very similar to what how Hiccup tames his dragons: he connects with them. He speaks their language. He understands them. He's not even really wrong about them being vicious and dangerous beasts. Hiccup and Drago are projecting very different ideas about dragons onto the dragons, but their actual connection with these creatures -- their empathy (not sympathy) -- is very comparable.

The dragons of this universe are, for lack of a better term, emotional mirrors. They reflect your own traits back to yourself, which is how Hiccup and Valka "saw themselves" in Toothless and Cloudrider. They also give back to you what you give to them, which means that if you try to befriend them, they'll try to befriend you right back. But if you try to kill them, they'll just kill you right back as well. This is why Drago's "method" of domination actually made sense to me instead of him, I dunno, whacking them about with whips and stuff, because if he did that then they'd just eat his rear end.

(And it kind of makes sense that dragons would be susceptible to what Drago does, because apparently this entire genus of creature is biologically predisposed to following the will of stronger, more dominant personalities. Even the first movie featured a kind of "alpha" that ruled them through fear and outright mind-control.)

Which isn't to say that all of a sudden anyone can just dominate any dragon just by being empathetically forceful; it certainly requires a really specific sort of power and will to do so. If Hiccup tried to dominate an alpha like that, I'm sure he'd end up as a smear on the wall. And so the good thing about Hiccup's "way" of connecting with dragons, along with it just being nicer in general, is that anyone is able to do it.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 14, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I didn't really consider that scene to be comic relief as much as I thought it was meant to be something uplifting and triumphant after the whole truckton of sadness that the movie just hit all the youngin's with.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Whoooaoaa, really? I thought he was so much more charming than he is as Jon Snow.

• Locked thread