Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The first How to Train Your Dragon was the film that convinced folk who hadn't seen Kung Fu Panda that Dreamworks could be good, and was part of a major turnaround point for the average quality of the studio's output. No movie has ever been as bad as Bee Movie in 2007, but few reach the heights of Kung Fu Panda (2009) or How to Train Your Dragon (2010). Ripping on Dreamworks has been a stale joke for coming up on half a decade, especially with the further quality of Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011), The Croods (2013), and apparently How To Train Your Dragon 2 (2014). (And, personally, Madagascar 3 in 2012, where I cannot stand its predecessors.)

Additionally, How to Train Your Dragon (HTTYD) was notable due to its lukewarm release and then growing returns. Word-of-mouth came through. This time is a little different, because now that there have been cute Christmas specials, a TV show, and online game, and a live show by the creators of Walking With Dinosaurs, HTTYD is hardly obscure.

Dragons dragons dragons Nico Marlet dragons.

Nico Marlet dragons dragons. Anyway.

The second film, part of what is intended to be at least a trilogy, is coming out in the US on the 13th of this month. Reviews are good and hopes are high. Also, everyone is considerably over--a change of status quo that took folk by surprise. John Powell is also back as the soundtrack composer dude, which was to my satisfaction as he did a great job last time.

Spoiler tags are not required for discussing the first film. Go see it if you haven't!

Discussion of the TRAILER for HTTYD2 does require spoiler tags, however, as the creators of the film asked fans to avoid it if possible. I see a bunch of films so of course I've seen the trailer for this over and over, but I agree it's pretty spoilery. Alas, that's marketing for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I enjoyed this a lot (just got back) but I felt it peaked early. Also I'm still confused why some leader-dragons and good and others aren't. When the bad alpha was looking up at Hiccup trying to mentally revive Toothless, I thought we'd be getting something more interesting where it stopped following Drago for some reason. We never really know why it does.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Triskelli posted:

I read the artbook, and it says that Drago managed to tame the Bewilderbeast through lots and lots of abuse, "like a circus animal forced to do tricks". Part of the reason it's got chains and scars

Okay, I sort of assumed so, in which case the theme seems to have been pretty loving undermined.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Magnus Condomus posted:

So apparently they might develop more on the reason Gobber never got married in the next one. That puts this as the second major animated film after paranorman to include a confirmed gay character.

There's a lot of conjecture about a single ad-libbed line.

quote:

“The reason it came about is because we were in the voice session. I was watching Gerry’s character fight with Cate Blanchett’s character, and the line I had in the script was - I say to Hiccup, “See, this is why I never married.” Then I ad-libbed the line, “And one more reason,” and I said after that, “That’s right, Gobber’s coming out,” and Dean (DeBlois, the director) said, “Oh, that’s it, maybe he should,” and so it was Dean’s decision, not mine. I just threw the ad-lib in. But Gerry, when he saw the film, thought that it wasn’t that I was gay, that the reason I hadn’t got married is because I had lost my junk - it got cut off in a dragon fight. Which tells you more about his mind than it does about anything else going on.”

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Magnus Condomus posted:

Do you like putting disks in a thing? Then get the blu-ray. The special features aren't all that special, but some of the blu-ray special editions include a couple of the animated shorts.

I think some of them come with the Christmas episode, which is cute and nice :3:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Upon reflection, I think my favorite part by a huge margin was Hiccup's parents' song. It was lovely but also so sad. Really pitch-perfect.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Triskelli posted:

now that I've actually seen the movie, I kinda see where the complaints are coming from. The closest Drago came to torturing the dragons was... Yelling and waving his harpoon around. Oh and smacking the chains the Bewilderbeast was pulling the boat with. Also, Hiccup keeps going on about "keeping the peace", it got really weird by the end

Well I thought the point was going to be that the dragons that Drago had captured were also "[Hiccup's] people" and needed saving, including the Bewilderbeast. It kept felt like it was coming up to that point but it never did?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, that's my strong assumption.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

computer parts posted:

A panda whose "father" is a goose is fairly obvious.

You're right, someone should make a joke about that...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I also thought the introductory scene with Astrid was leading up to her becoming chieftan instead, because they're going on about how she's more suited to that lifestyle and those responsibilities, where it would mean Hiccup giving up what he really loves.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fralbjabar posted:

Story wise I felt it was a good, well written, movie; but I was left feeling like it was lacking something at the end. It just somehow felt incomplete to me compared to the first one which left me very satisfied leaving the theater. I feel that this may have been from being the middle act of a planned trilogy, but because of the target demographic it had to have a victorious ending. If they had gone the full ESB route and ended the movie on Stoick's funeral and used the runtime to expand the earlier parts of the movie and give some more time to some of the characters who seemed neglected it would have felt a lot more "complete" of a movie, though I fully understand why they wouldn't go that route in this case (wow that would be a dark ending for a family film). Alternatively, if Stoick's death had been closer to the middle of the movie rather than at the 80% mark it would have made the whole ending feel a lot less forced and rushed.

One of my biggest gripes about children's films generally is they never let this happen. They throw in a fart or something as soon as anyone (usually parents honestly) would have to start thinking about what's going on. This is why I like films like Coraline and Brave Little Toaster, who will commit to one tone for entire minutes at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Despite my absolute disdain towards Bee Movie, I've always had a soft spot for Dreamworks and I'm forever bummed that they're treated so poorly on the whole. Sinbad, for example, was far better than its Disney contemporaries, but they just can't shake the "B-team" reputation.

He's also dead wrong about the sequels being far from surefire hits, because unfortunately, those are still the money-makers on the whole. Puss in Boots was watchable but it made far more money than most folk appreciate.

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 5, 2014

• Locked thread