Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mareep
Dec 26, 2009

This was pretty good and I think in terms of sheer enjoyment I got as much out of it as the first one. There's also no way the third film doesn't revolve around finding one or more other night furies. I also think there's a good chance Drago will show up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Kaincypher posted:

Yeah, seconding all of this

Now I kind of feel this way too. I think the wishy washy wrap up without a really strong or convincing resolution is the issue here. Still really enjoyable and definitely visually stunning.

That all being said, I feel like the first movie was a complete surprise and the development of the relationship between Hiccup and Toothless was a complete delight--it would be really difficult to recapture that, and I think this wouldn't be quite so bad in contrast to just how good the first was.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

To be fair neither is Hiccup's. Or any of the kids really.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

Someone earlier in the thread asked why Toothless could be broken from the Alpha Dragon's will the second time, but not the first.

I actually thought this made sense -- in the first instance, Hiccup was in the midst of a panic, not sure of what to do in the face of his best friend's betrayal and his failure to convince Drago to stop the war. In the second instance, he approached Toothless from a place of confidence, believing wholeheartedly that his friendship will surmount the Alpha Dragon's influence.

Goes along with one of the touched-on themes of the movie, anyway. v:shobon:v

I really feel like I need to see this movie again to get an accurate idea on how I felt about the themes and how they all fit together. I think there's some unexplored potential here to link up elements of the story relating to persuasion and reason to achieve your goals, while also incorporating the honest reality that there are some (often dangerous) people that you simply cannot reason with.

My takeaway from the ending scene was that as much as Drago believed it, the Alpha did not have magical, insurmountable control over other dragons; this is something that can be contested. The line about 'good people under the influence of bad people will do bad things' is relevant to this reading. I think the final word of the film is to assert that there will be occasions and people that need to be fought back against and defended from and can't be reasoned to a peaceful mindset. On the other hand, many individuals do 'bad things' under circumstantial influences and CAN be reasoned with, and as you can see in the final confrontation, when all the dragons move from Drago's side to the side of Berk and Toothless confronts the Alpha, using reason to persuade these people to, essentially, 'the side of good', results in a cohesive, generally peaceful unit that still has the means to defend itself against those who intend to mindlessly do harm.

e: It's a pretty optimistic message overall, and I think it makes sense with all the cues the film includes about people being able/not being able to change. It's more of a "people can be jerks but they are trying to be good people, and in a lot of cases are influenced, manipulated or otherwise coerced into doing bad things", while acknowledging that 'true bad people' genuinely exist, but are a pretty small minority.

mareep fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 17, 2014

• Locked thread