Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

X_Toad posted:

I think that was the point of him saying to his men to "join him on Berk" : he went there alone with the Wildebeast and his army of dragons. He never thought he would need the help of his armada now that his Wildebeast was the one undisputed commander of the dragons and that the "other" Dragon Master was without a mount and with a thoroughly crushed spirit.

Given that Drago's death was really obscure (I actually didn't really notice it when he "died") I figure the next movie will center around the search for the "Omega/Emperor dragon" or somesuch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Magnus Condomus posted:

Most of the kids are the same. Hiccup, Astrid, tuffnut, fishlegs, snotlout. I believe all of those are the same.

Craig Ferguson is still Gobber, too. I noted very little difference with Stoick and actually preferred the voice actors for Snotlout and Ruffnut in the TV series.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Stormageddon posted:

Least favorite bit: Butler's singing; and that the film obviously took quite a few queues from Brave and continued the celtic viking thing.

Of note: Stoic had a line that was basically "It takes more than a little fire to kill me", so I wouldn't be shocked if they come back to that...

The singing wasn't great, but that was part of the point: that Hiccup's parents weren't great singers just people who loved each other. The singing was the best part of the movie for me.

As for your speculation, I would be really, really disappointed if they went there in the next movie.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Magnus Condomus posted:

That's pretty non sequitur. Next to names like Snotlout, Hiccup, or Fishlegs, Drago isn't that strange.

Bringing back a character who had a thematically agent death sounds like something they wouldn't do. Or do you expect them to bring back Hiccup's foot too?

I got a little non sequitured as well. For a second I thought he was talking about Eragon. For my part I took Drago to be a Colchian (a literal Black Russian) who would reasonably have a name like Drago.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Frackie Robinson posted:

I thought for a second that this might turn out to be the case as well, and it would have definitely been a lot more interesting. Agreed that Drago was a pretty weak character. They seemed to go to a lot of effort establishing parallels between he and Hiccup- dragon trainer, wears a cloak made of night fury skin, missing limb- the typical villain as a shadow of the protagonist you know, but it doesn't really go anywhere. There's no nuance to him, nothing sympathetic about him, he has only the vaguest of motivations.

Drago's motivations seem very clear to me. He wants to get revenge on dragons for maiming him and destroying his village by enslaving them. Then he wants to use his enslaved dragons to seize control of human civilization (or at least a good portion of the Northern location of human civilization). While Drago isn't sympathetic in the traditional sense, there's very much an air of "there but for the grace of Odin go I" to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

api call girl posted:

Somebody said they tried to make this movie the Empire Strikes Back of HTTYD, but I thought about it a little and I guess the problem is instead of Vader they gave us Darth Maul and then they actually kill Luke Skywalker's dad on screen.

So basically, missing all the points in all the possible ways.

Perhaps if the filmmakers were trying to recreate the Star Wars films with dragons and Vikings, which they clearly aren't. There might be several points of similarity between the movies and franchises, but there are still different stories being told in each. In Empire, Luke needed to learn the true nature of Darth Vader and gain the hope that he could turn his father back to the light. In Dragon 2, Hiccup learned the opposite lesson, that there are some evils that cannot be persuaded and must be opposed by meeting violence with violence when need be.

• Locked thread