Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
When that whole pretty intense sequence happens about 75%-80% of the way through a bunch of people were openly weeping and walked out. By the time the movie actually finished and I walked out they were still sobbing in the entryway.

I'm actually kind of questioning if I'm the one that's broken in the head right now.

Yeah, the movie dragged out too long with the characters doing their own things or being entirely passive in the 2nd act, but I also quite like the trapper's turn arc and Stoic and Gobber's hunt sequence that was stuck in smack dab middle of that, plus the amazing visuals even then, so I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Wait, BUD BUNDY?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Somebody said they tried to make this movie the Empire Strikes Back of HTTYD, but I thought about it a little and I guess the problem is instead of Vader they gave us Darth Maul and then they actually kill Luke Skywalker's dad on screen.

So basically, missing all the points in all the possible ways.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

johntfs posted:

Perhaps if the filmmakers were trying to recreate the Star Wars films with dragons and Vikings, which they clearly aren't. There might be several points of similarity between the movies and franchises, but there are still different stories being told in each. In Empire, Luke needed to learn the true nature of Darth Vader and gain the hope that he could turn his father back to the light. In Dragon 2, Hiccup learned the opposite lesson, that there are some evils that cannot be persuaded and must be opposed by meeting violence with violence when need be.

Luke didn't have that hope in Empire, he gained it at some point in Jedi. The point I'm making though is that structurally HTTYD2 falls flat in any comparison.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 27, 2014

• Locked thread