Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas Brandt - Outside the Cabin

"Wait, it can loving talk?" Well, that changes things. Thomas had assumed the wendigo was a mindless beast, a slave to its own hunger. This complicates things. First things first though. "Come on, Mark. Let's get you back inside." Thomas began to head back to the cabin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Nick Currier

Nick can't help but feel exposed out here. "Getting photographs of this thing is all well and good, but let's look at them inside the cabin, huh?" He starts to move towards the cabin, then pauses to make sure that Stanley and Mark are coming with him.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Has everyone abandoned this, or is everyone just waiting on everyone else to do a thing? C'mon people, you kinda gotta do things. In the meantime, I'm bloody well dumping you all back inside the cabin. Anyone still unsure of the monster being a very real thing, well, Mark(FireSight) has video proof, in glorious HD.

Move on, do things. You have the Journal, the tunnel in the cellar, a monster that wants to eat you, everything in the trucks. And if something goes wrong? Well, you're all Lucky. The worst that can happen to your characters is a violent death, which will in fact be an eventuality if you do nothing.

Again, I'm assuming everyone followed Nick into the cabin. Post if you're still around, if not, I'll make a note to NPC you/use your abandoned character to move the game forward. I'm not ditching, and I expect you won't either.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

You kinda need to respond to some of this stuff. I posted that I was going back to the tent to collect my bag and see if Rowsdower left anything in there to take. I need the GM to tell me what I find, if anything. As far as I know there was no set inventory list back in previous posts about exactly what was left there before his demise.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

chitoryu12 posted:

You kinda need to respond to some of this stuff. I posted that I was going back to the tent to collect my bag and see if Rowsdower left anything in there to take. I need the GM to tell me what I find, if anything. As far as I know there was no set inventory list back in previous posts about exactly what was left there before his demise.

The only contents would be your stuff, and Rowsdower's travelbag+it's contents. Also, as the OP says; actions, OOC, and rules stuff in italics. That's specifically so I don't miss things like this. My apologies for missing it though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley Zubizaretta - Outside

Stanley marches into the tent, shaking his rifle in a comically vigorous manner to try and get a little more power to the batteries of his flashlight. He slings the gun on his back and hauls up his and Rowsdower's bags; Rowsdower's, containing both rifles he dragged to the forest, must weigh close to 50 pounds. He puts each bag on an arm and begins slowly making his way to the cabin after the guys.

I went ahead and did the math for encumbrance. Rowsdower's duffle weighs 48.364 pounds, while Stanley's gear, clothing, and bag are 26.55 lbs in total. This is a total of 74.914 pounds that Stanley is dragging to the cabin.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Nick Currier, on the way to the cabin

Nick glances around as the others head towards the cabin. Seeing Stanley hauling Rowsdowser's duffel bag, he gives him a hand getting it inside, and then shuts the door heavily, leaning on it for a moment. Then he walks over to Mark, light a cigarette with shaking fingers. "Let's see what we've got.Did you get video of this thing, or just stills?"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley Zubizaretta - Cabin Main Room

Stanley and Nick let the duffle bag thud to the ground, with Stanley dropping his own pack next to it. As Nick and Mark go to look over the camera, he begins unpacking.

The first thing he does is pull the Case-Gard cartridge wallet out of his bag and stuff it in the big pocket of his orange hunting vest. Now all of the ammo that's not in/on the gun is on his body.

Next, he begins flipping through Rowsdower's duffle bag and pulling out everything that looks useful. Blankets, binoculars, tallow candles.....and then two rifles. Stanley lets out a low whistle as he hauls the Tavor out. "Never handled one of these before," he says. "Israeli, you know. I didn't even know you could buy the sporter versions of these in Canada." It takes a few seconds, but the magazine release is a large lever that's relatively easy to find and looks a lot like the mag release on guns like the AK. He glances at the magazine. "I'm....not entirely sure this is legal at all. This feels a lot heavier than five rounds."

After racking the charging handle to eject the round in the chamber ("Why did he even do that before?" he mutters), he spends some time....well, fondling the gun. He's fascinated by the space age bullpup, and tries to memorize all the controls.

Finally putting it down, he removes the M14. The gun is massive and heavy, all wood and metal. At least he noticeably brought legal 5-round magazines instead of risking getting them all arrested. "Sheesh, this thing could stop a rhino."

With both guns unloaded and side-by-side on the wooden floor, Stanley continues sifting through the bag. "Jesus Christ, this guy brought hundreds of rounds for each gun. Was he going to fend off the Hadji here?"

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 14, 2014

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas Brandt - Cabin Main Room

Thomas goggles at the contents of the duffle bag. Jesus Christ, was the guy trying to start some kind of redneck survivalist compound? Thomas didn't even want to think about what the massive wooden crates that he saw through the windows of Rowsdower's massive SUV contained. Thomas spoke up, "Hey, uh, guys? What if Rowsdower knew about the wendigo? I mean, why else would he bring out all this hardware?"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

Mark is only half paying attention inside the cabin, as the others unload the small armory that was Rowdowsers gear. His attention was focused on the video camera that was in front of him, now wiped clean of mud. He played the video, let it run for a minute, and then restarted it from the begining. Then again. And again.

"Guys... you have got to watch this..."

Behind the camera screen, it all seemed so much more distant. So... less real. Not scary. Not some horrible evil. Just something out of a movie. That made it... easier to deal with. He knew it was real, his mind knew it was real, but now he could detach. Watch it from the aloof perspective of somebody who was used to critiquing films.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley's attempts at justification were smashed to pieces by the video. It could never have been doctored, not that fast. It can't be mistaken for anything else. It looked exactly like the image burned into his head barely an hour ago.

The wendigo was real. It was here. It had killed and eaten Rowsdower. And it would come for them next.

"We need to kill this son of a bitch."

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nick Currier

Nick pays no attention to Stanley as he unloads the bags. He is engrossed by the video that Mark shot. He studies the Wendigo carefully, trying to figure out if it resembles any mundane animal, how they might go about hunting it. Though it was certainly extraordinarily dangerous, Nick felt somehow more comfortable now that he could study their foe. That was how you dealt with dangerous animals. You studied them, then took steps to protect yourself, and if it came down to it you eliminated the threat. He had dealt with wolves and polar bears on Baffin Island, and he would deal with this Wendigo now.

Naturalist 11, Survival 12. I know this is kind of a long shot, but I feel like this is how Nick would approach it

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Cabin Main Room

Watching the video isn't pleasant. Even if it's just a recording, what it captured was very, very real. Everyone manages to catch the same detail in the video that Mark hadn't caught in person: the damned thing was missing clumps of hair, like mangy dog.

Beardless:You've seen bears like this before, when they've been sick, nearly starved, or gotten into a fight. It's dumping it's coat, which means wherever it sleeps is going to be pretty much covered in wendigo hair.
chitoryu12:You've seen hair loss like this on bears before, while fishing. Normally after they've had their poo poo torn up by other bears. [i]As an aside, just throw any actions you need me to notice in italics after your main post. I'll update the OP to get everything more clear.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Okay, so..." Stanley starts, "how do we kill it? Thomas, you said hot sauce, wendigo hair, and salt? If that journal is right, we need it."

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nick Currier, Cabin

"Huh. It shouldn't be too hard to find some hair. The drat thing looks pretty, well, mangy, but not really. It's not in great shape, maybe been in a fight, either that or it hasn't been eating much. If we can figure out where it was last night, or track down it's den, then we should be able to find some hair that way."

Nick works through what Stanley said, and then looks from Thomas to Stanley. "Wait, what are you talking about? We're going to kill it with hot sauce? I was hoping that a few slugs would do the trick."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas watched the video in morbid curiousity. It was good enough to be the Holy Grail of cryptozoologists and other paranormal enthusiasts everywhere. Shot well, the conditions it was shot in not so great, but there's no way anyone could mistake the wendigo for a crackhead or something equally stupid.

Thomas had to tear himself away to answer questions, "Well, uh, the journal says hot sauce, molten lead (I think?), or maybe a combination of the two is needed to, and I quote, 'light a fire in the belly'. Since mythological wendigos are, like, gluttonous cannibals, that sorta makes sense. But, if all it takes is bullets, we can test that out after we trap it. Crippling it is one of the steps in the book anyway. So, where do you guys think we're gonna get the hair? If the journal is right, we can't really trap it without it."

There was something else bothering Thomas, "Mark, you said that thing talked and I don't think I can make out anything on the video. What did it say?"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Well, this thing has some hair loss that you can see in the video. If it's gotten into a fight or been shot or something, it may have left some hair around the area. Nick, you know the outdoors better than me. You got an idea?"

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nick Currier - Cabin

Nick looks at Stanley for a second, not sure if he's making a joke. "Well, big anumals like that generally use natural caves or things like that, and often drag their kills back to them. Can you think of any underground areas that might bones or things like that around?"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley pauses....and then his gaze slowly turns toward the bedroom with the trap door in it.

"......gently caress."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas also looks towards the trap door, having suddenly realized something. "Uh, ok. If the wendigo was out there being filmed by Mark while we were in the basement, then something ELSE went down there. gently caress, if there's two of them..."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"I dunno," Stanley says. "This thing talks, it thinks. We didn't find anything down there, right? What if it snuck in, opened the door to lure us down there, and then hid out in the forest where he could.....eat Rowsdower and wait for one of us to come outside? You heard it on the camera. It was taunting Mark. It knows what it's doing and is toying with us."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas shrugs, "Still, I don't like the idea of there being something we don't know about hiding in the one safe place we have at the moment. I'm gonna check it out. Somebody come with me." Thomas begins to head towards the tunnel.

Thomas is moving towards the cellar so he can check out the tunnel.

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 16, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"All right, hang on. I'm coming." Stanley unslings his rifle, gives the flashlight some more shakes, and follows Thomas down into the basement. "Be careful with those guns, Mark."

Thomas and Stanley are heading into the basement. Stanley shook his rifle/flashlight before entering to recharge it.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nick Currier - Cabin Main Room

Nick gets up and begins to follow Stan and Tom. He looks over his shoulder at Mark and nods towards the trap door.
"Why don't we all go? I'd rather not split up the group again. Stanley will be in frnot, then Mark with the camera, then Thomas with a light, and I'll be in the back, watching the rear.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley shudders, but he can't rightly refuse when he's got a light and gun. "All right, I'll lead. Let's go to that hole we found. That must be where it chills."

Stanley takes the lead in the basement.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 18, 2014

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Cabin Cellar

Having chosen a marching order, almost like characters in a college D&D game, three of the film students head down into the cellar. Mark lags behind upstairs, not yet committing to any particular action.

The cellar is the same as it was before. Dust, a slight mildewy smell, a goddamned skeleton, and a tunnel.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley Zubizaretta - Cabin Basement

Taking the lead down the stairs, Stanley gives a short sweep of the basement to ensure that nothing is ready to leap out of the shadows. Chances are if something did....he wouldn't get a chance to defend himself.

After a few seconds to satisfy his worries, he points his rifle/light combo at the hole in the wall. "All right, I guess its lair is through there."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas Brandt - Cabin Cellar

Thomas wiped some rain water off his lantern. "I guess so. After you, please."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley Zubizaretta - Cabin Basement

Stanley takes a deep breath, then begins to walk forward into the hole.

Stanley is leading the group into the hole in the basement.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

It took Mark a few minutes to make his decision, after the others made their way into the hole. Did he really want to go down into a hole where this monster apparently lived? If he didn't... did he really want to be alone in the cabin if the monster came back, without any weapons? Everyone else seemed to know how to use guns...

That last thought made his decision. It was better to stay near the armed people when something wants to kill you... despite what all the horror movies said.

"Wait for me!"

Moving into the basement area with everyone else. Sorry for a lack of posting, this somehow got unbookmarked and I didn't notice.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas Brandt - Cabin Basement

Thomas steeled himself and walked into the tunnel, keeping an eye out for anything that could be dangerous.

Also heading into that tunnel! Using the lantern as a light source.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Down into the Depths

The film students head down into the tunnel, with their motley array of weapons(and a camera!). After the first few dozen feet, and abrupt bend heads down at an even steep angle. The floor is mostly smooth, with occasional deep cuts into the stone. The further the film students head, the more stale the air gets, until around a hundred feet in, where after particularly narrow section, it begins to freshen up.

Or mostly freshen up. The odour of rotting meat begins to become noticeable in the air, along with the smell of something else, which nobody can quite place a finger one. Another bend in the tunnel leads to a sudden opening, and a serious increase in the strength of the smells.

It's a cavern. And not a small one at that. The ground is slanted, leading to water pooling on one side. The other edge rises into a small outcropping, about ten feet off the ground. Mixed bones litter the area around it, forming piles at it's base.

have a small, crappy MSPaint map. The square area is the cellar. The far tunnel isn't very visible. It's headed uphill, beyond your line of sight. Water is blue, outcropping is grey.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley Zubizaretta - Cavern

Stanley stifles a cough at the odor. "Jesus Christ," he mutters. He points his light up the far tunnel, the one they can't see to the end of. "I bet that leads back topside. Probably how this thing is able to get in and out without us noticing."

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nick Currier

Nick looks from one side to another, the beam of his headlamp illuminating bits and pieces of the cave. His gaze settles on the outcropping, and he moves towards it cautiously. "I'm willing to bet that that's where it sleeps, there's probably going to be some hair up there." As he walks he pauses, and looks at some of the bones that litter the floor. He stoops and looks at some of them, trying to figure out what this thing eats.

Pre 12, Survival 12 and Naturalist 11 to figure out its main diet, aside from wayward film students.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas Brandt - Cavern

Thomas nodded, "Ok, so hair should be over there? I'll check it out." Thomas slowly and cautiously began to approach the outcropping.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Cavern

While Thomas does his best to pick his way through the detritus littering the floor, Nick does his best to identify what poor critters it's made of.

The outcropping itself isn't much. Maybe ten feet high and eight feet across, it just out from the cave wall like a miniature cliff. The rough stone would be easy to climb, probably a lot less effort than it was to walk over the pile of bones quietly.

Beardless:For the most part, it looks like it eats whatever it can get it's claws on. Beaver, bear, deer, caribou, even squirrels and mice. Scattered in the bone pile at the base of the outcropping are several pelvises of varying sizes that are clearly identifiable as human. Any amount of digging in the bone pile reveals that the number of human bones in the pile rapidly increases as you go deeper. Towards the bottom of the foot deep pile are human skulls, most of them partially smashed or split. A few have holes going through both sides of them.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nick Currier - Cavern

Ncils stoops and sifts through the bones that litter the ground, and picks up a skull with two holes in it. He examines the holes, running his finger over the edges, trying to figure out if they were made by the wendigo's claws, or something else. He holds it up for the others to look at. "Check this out, if the wendigo did that, it's pretty drat strong. And got some hefty claws at that."

Continuing my National Geographic/CSI type if deal here. How big are the holes is there cracking around the holes, I assume that it wasn't some kind of trepanning gone horribly wrong but you never know I guess. Per 12, Survival 12, Naturalist 12, IQ 11. I know this might seem kind of pointless, but Nick is basically looking at the Wendigo as another animal that he's trying to learn about.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley Zubizaretta - Cavern

"Yeah," Stanley said. "I noticed that when it....you know, stabbed straight through Rowsdower's chest."

Stanley impulsively shakes his rifle around again, trying to get a little more power to the flashlight at the cost of having one of the few light sources bounce around wildly.

Shaking the flashlight again to recharge it. 30 seconds of shaking recharges the battery to a maximum of 6 minutes charge, but the GM needs to decide how many minutes have passed since the last time.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 25, 2014

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas Brandt - Cavern

Thomas rooted through the debris on the floor of the outcropping, but found no hair. He got up and dusted himself off, "I don't see any hair over here, you guys find any?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Cavern

Thomas climbs up onto the outcropping. It's an easy climb, and worth it. The entire thing is covered in handfuls of long, bristly hair. The rock is also stained a dark brown.

Nick, meanwhile, goes full CSI on the bones. Most of them have cuts down into them. The holes in the skulls would fit with the claws he saw, given then were propelled by enough force to smash through solid bone. Some of the oldest ones more closely resemble impacts from a bullet.

Sorry for my lack of posting, I've been busy getting stuff ready for school, and trying to budget what little cash I have that tuition hasn't eaten.

• Locked thread