Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I still want my Jones the Cat game where you have to lure the Alien out and evade it by using the stupid humans looking for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I've heard pewdiepie is actually a rather nice person in reality, but he puts on an act on youtube because... that's what the youtube community want apparently.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I've noticed the Alien isn't nearly as aggressive and rubberbandy when you just walk everywhere and only crouch when you can see it or know it's right around the corner. But if you try to take it cautiously every time, it will stick around and not give you any breathing room.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oh wow.
I know this isn't exactly related to this game but there wasn't a dedicated thread on the Alien franchise in Cinema Discusso, but I had no idea that Lambert in the first movie was actually MtF. It somehow manages to make her already messed up death scene seem a little more messed up.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I was about to ask where you heard this but apparently it's on the Aliens Anthology blu-ray. It's an odd factoid, I wonder where it originated.

It isn't a big deal either way but I wonder if it was something the director/screenwriters had in mind when shooting.

Yeah I saw it on the AvP Wiki and then checked where they sourced it from.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SirDrone posted:

Explain why it humps the poo poo out of the dead prisoners in alien 3 :smug:

Same reason some dogs want to hump your leg.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Of all the Alien related movies, I think Prometheus would be my least favorite if it wasn't for AvP 2. That whole movie was so disjointed and unfocused that I really had to question what the point of the movie actually was; completely unnecessary. Still, it didn't have an Alien forcing down chestbursters down the throats of pregnant women like in AvP 2 which was just a totally joyless, malicious movie.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Hunterhr posted:

Not to mention the pred alien snacking on newborn babies.

Talk about a movie that's just goddamn mean. I watched it once and have no desire to see it again.

I don't get it either. For all of the first AvP's faults, it was at least an entertaining popcorn flick and it was cool to see Predators kick the rear end of Aliens. Then AvP 2 comes out and it seems to think it needs to be DmC levels of edgy to attract audiences.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Periodiko posted:

They weren't, though. Not only was the mission a secret vanity project to an undisclosed location for an undisclosed purpose, but the crew members were actively lied to about what they were doing. On top of that, Weyland explicitly doesn't care about the science. Literally the only reason the ship is going there is in the desperate hope that they'll be able to find someone or something that can save him from death. The crew are entirely expendable, and there is no real scientific mission.

I mean, what about any of these characters gives the sense that they were "top of the line"? The geologist literally smokes weed in his helmet and shows no enthusiasm for their mission whatsoever. The two archaeologists are obsessives. The medical personnel don't object to extremely unethical behavior. The biologist develops a weird crush on the geologist, and tries to impress him by Crocodile Huntering the first alien he sees. They're mercs, and their stupidity is played darkly comic. The only character that is portrayed with any foresight is David, who basically understands everything from the first half of the movie on, and spends most of the rest of the film loving with people and playing dumb while everyone walks off cliffs.

That's the whole joke of the film. We envisage a Star Trek universe where we send our best and brightest for noble scientific intentions, but in Prometheus' reality, we send a bunch of mercenaries and cranks, headed by a trillionaire who couldn't give less of a poo poo about science. We send a crew staffed by short-sighted Burkes, who nearly cause the extinction of the human race, at the whim of a crazy person.

You're putting too much thought into the motives behind Prometheus I think when the real excuse is that the movie is just stupid, ill thought out and completely devoid of any memorable characters besides David. I mean, Ridley Scott's reasoning for the Engineer/Space Jockey wanting to kill all of humanity is because Jesus was a Space Jockey and we crucified him for crying out loud.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Given everything is pretty much TriOp controlled aboard the Von Braun and the Rickenbacker in SS2, I imagine the guns break so easily so they can sell you more guns at ridiculous prices. The only thing they make that lasts forever is some of the glass.

Also, would love an SS game with the amazing visuals of this game, although I don't know if I'd want this team specifically doing it since the design of the two games is fundamentally different. Say what you want, System Shock is an action- or shooter-type game more than it is a survival horror-type game. It starts with a kicking rad high-energy techno beat and it ends with the protagonist giving a one-liner response before dunking the final boss after being given a couple minute long speech.

The funny thing is though, that Stealth was kind of somewhat possible to do in System Shock 2 because it used the same engine as the Thief series. So long as you sticked to the shadows, The Many had trouble finding you. But I don't think that was intended and it was just a holdover from using The Dark Engine which was designed for Thief.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Shadoer posted:

Yeah, it's pretty clear that Ridley Scott and the writers really did envision a very different movie and studio meddling really did improve things. the original version looks like was going to be more focused around idiotic scientists and technobable who open pandora's box and fight an alien with a see through skull dome which changed color and overall appearance every time they saw it. And they'd see it a lot, with lots of lighting, all the time. And then everyone died at the end.

Thing about Ridley Scott is that he's one of those directors who really shouldn't have full creative control over anything. He works much better when he's under constraints then when he's allowed to go crazy like he was on things like Prometheus and his Robin Hood movie.

Idiotic scientists and technobabble who open pandora's box and fight an alien with a skull-like dome sounds an awful lot like Prometheus to me.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Didn't stop them from loving Bishop up.

Yeah but that was from the Queen who was pissed off that it's children were all dead and was kind of in a berserker rampage.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I know this isn't exactly the right thread and there used to be a general Horror Games thread that I think got lost to the archives, but another old horror movie series is getting a new video game.

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news...in-development/

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Guess my eyes missed it! Thanks!

DialTheDude posted:

At the end of every Chapter/Stage, the loading screen text will say "You win...for now."

How about a character whose skill is throwing rocks at Jason but always at such an arc that it will always go over his head?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

So what you're saying is the Alien is like a cat. Drop a cat toy at your feet and it'll mercilessly assault your leg, but knock over something big and it'll scamper off to hide (and jump you when you least expect it).

How did you think Jones managed to survive?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

In space, no-one can hear you scream...

You know it actually took me a few seconds to realize that picture wasn't from the game itself. I think that is a testament to how good the art design is in this game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Stealth horror games is a much harder sell to casual gamers than first person shooters as well. That and people were burned by Colonial Marines and probably avoided Isolation for thinking it was poo poo despite having completely different developers as well.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Colonial Marines is considered canon so Hicks is still alive at least.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

prussian advisor posted:

So without reading the entire thread and exposing myself to spoilers, is this game generally considered good? The reviews seem to be all over the place and after Dying Light in particular, I try not to write off even semi-consistent negative reviews if the underlying concept seems promising, and it certainly does here. This would be the PS4 version.

The negative reviews mostly seem to be "it's too hard it sucks" more than anything. There are pacing problems but most people consider it to be an excellent game with one or two humps that put people off, like the Medical section of the game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I kind of liked Alien 3 but if this means Colonial Marines can no longer be canon then so be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Deakul posted:

And the Assembly Cut of that film was legitimately good.

So an Assembly Cut of Colonial Marines would be good too then?

• Locked thread