Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I've been rocking the custom splattershot jr since I got it because I like the splattershot enough to use it but I adore the disruptor bombs and echolocator. I hope you guys are appreciative of me pointing out all the enemies for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

someone help I can't stop using the Custom Splattershot Jr

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I think of all weapons, the Ink Brush might be the only one that could somehow benefit from a disruptor bomb. Still probably a trash subweapon.

Are there any hard numbers for what a disruptor actually does? I use them a lot and I feel like they're helpful but I don't really have any concrete evidence that they do much. I like that they make rollers pretty useless for a while and it highlights people when they try to swim away.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Splatoon becomes a lot more enjoyable once you realize none of the gear abilities really do anything significant and you just wear whatever.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

controversial opinions:

bluefin depot is great
kelp dome sucks

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Actually Arowana Mall is really good and, in fact, owns a lot.

The only bad stage is Kelp Dome. Arguments can be made that Bluefin Depot is pretty much just as big as Kelp Dome but Bluefin Depot is laid out in a way that you will actually encounter other players. Kelp Dome you just run around aimlessly for 3 minutes and then somebody wins.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The T posted:

dynamo rollers are terrible

you're wrong

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

video games become a lot more fun when you stop worrying about what you own and don't own and what's on the disc and what you have to pay for and

just buy a video game with the content you want at the price you're comfortable with and just enjoy yourself

edit: I was on the fence about splatoon when it launched but I bought it because I wanted to play with friends and haven't regretted it. Got about 30 hours out of it so far. The slow rollout of already-on-the-disc-but-I-don't-give-a-poo poo content gives me an excuse to check in a couple times a week when otherwise I'd probably burn out in a couple weeks, but that's just me in a world where I only have so much time to dedicate to video games these days.

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 23, 2015

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm very ok with none of the abilities even remotely mattering

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Then why make abilities at all? Keep in mind that the shooters, chargers, blisters, rollers and inkbrush already have distinct methods of play, not to mention how the load outs on the weapons also influence play to a significant extent. So why make another superficial layer of strategy that doesn't actually matter?

I would unironically be down for all abilities being removed from the game

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Barely any of the abilities do anything in the first place. I remember busting out a chart of all the brands and abilities and whatnot and trying to plan out what I should use but after seeing hard numbers of what increases/decreases what, I prefer to STAY FRESH.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

if you could stop posting about sexy squid penises that would be phenomenal. once we get over that hurdle maybe we'll work on you stop posting forever.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

going from dynamo roller to carbon roller isn't the greatest idea

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Played with the Carbon Roller a bit. It's an insanely jarring change from the Dynamo Roller I use all the time. It has basically no range and you actually bounce off of enemies when you roll into them. I'm not really sure this fits my playstyle at all, but it has me very curious for the Carbon Roller Deco that will come out eventually with seekers and seeker rush.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'd still rather use a carbon roller over an inkbrush

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the further you go down the roller power spectrum, the worse they get

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

It seems like people have kind of settled on either Recon or Ninja Squid as a shirt perk, but I'd like to throw in a good word for Haunt. It lets you contribute to the team even in death, and knowing your splatter is getting punished with a radar target really relieves that sense of frustration.

And since there's no "watch out!" message on the d-pad, it's literally the only in-game way to warn your teammates about some sneaky pete who just ambushed you from somewhere unexpected, so that's nice.

I find it's a good idea to not rely on skills that only work when you're bad at the game :smug:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm gonna dynamo roller all you chumps sitting on the tower

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Barnyard Protein posted:

your rank doesn't matter at all, don't worry about it going up or down

I want to be able to play it with friends which is not something you can do in ranked

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

sarcastx posted:

Thoughts?

none of the abilities actually matter

stay fresh

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Lemming posted:

It's good for the same reason limiting what maps are available is good and why releasing a lot of the weapons slowly over time is good. By limiting access to what stuff is available, you spend more time trying out different stuff rather than sticking to the same weapons/maps/game modes all the time.

There's a lot I'll defend Nintendo on w/r/t how they roll out content in this game but not being able to play any mode other than turf war with your friends is Actually Completely Stupid

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Cless Alvein posted:

Yeah I have no idea how they do it. That thing is way too drat slow for me to even attempt to use, but they do. God bless em.

bout time I get some respect :cheers:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

do maps rotate during splatfest because kelp dome makes me actively not want to play the game

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I will suck it up to support team cat

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Man, gently caress Kelp Dome. It's above and beyond the worst Turf War stage. I can see it being alright for ranked matches where there's an actual objective but playing it in Turf War is so aggressively unfun.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Fulla Lizards! posted:

Well, I tried...

hey there, friend

I feel your pain

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm really tired of this one song playing every round that's not as good as squid punk

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I slogged my way to Cat Queen so now I don't have to drag myself through disconnects, laggy players, and lopsided teams anymore! :toot:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Jarogue posted:

Has there been that many disconnects?
Before Splatfest I very, very rarely ever saw a disconnect and only saw a laggy player every dozen games or so.

During Splatfest, there have been more 4v3 matches (or worse) than I can remember with very laggy players every couple matches or so.

edit:

Today I had a match where, mid dynamo swing, three enemies walked around a corner into the blast. :allears:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Is there any way to actually tell how many people are on each team and who is winning, or is this all just speculation from everyone?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

My theory is basically a rehash of the original Team Cat Will Win theory, but instead of being the case that more people would choose Team Cat, it's more that all the kids have chosen Team Dog, while all the gamers have chosen Team Cat (because every gamer thought along the same lines as most of the people here: internet culture means cats will win). Therefore, Team Cat's victory is a self-fulfilling prophecy: good gamers chose Cat because their thought was that most people would choose Cat. Meanwhile, most of the 7-8 year old kids chose Dog because aren't they cute and fuzzy? What's with the internet cat thing? They're too young to get it. As a result, instead of most people choosing Cat and therefore Cat winning, people using game theory (and therefore higher skilled individuals) ended up choosing Cat, and therefore Cat will win, while most PEOPLE chose Dog because those people weren't thinking about who would win, they were thinking about who they actually liked because they have no interest in winning.

This hypothesis is supported by the fact that most of the Team Cat Miiverse posts are actually good (artwise) implying that try-hards and older people capable of arting chose Team Cat. Meanwhile, most of the Team Dog Miiverse posts are literally a scrawl of "Go Team Dog" with no art whatsoever, implying that the people sending them have no art skills (and are presumably younger to boot).

Team Cat will win.

I picked team cat because I have a cat

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

bubbler OP

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

at first I was miffed that the win came down to popularity rather than wins but then I read zolthorg's posts and I'm not even upset anymore

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Lurkcopter posted:

Does anyone here have the occasional trouble with shooting down from ledges? It feels that unless you are right on the edge, your shots more often than not will get caught on the edge. It's really annoying and got me killed a few times.

thank gently caress it's not just me

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Nogami posted:

If we suddenly had variation like three hairstyles with braid or bun, people wouldn’t consider them as the same thing [character]. Therefore we limited the customization to the minimum with skin and eye color.

Multiple Hairstyles Prove Too Confusing for Players to Understand, Says Japanese Developer

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

there's been like 20 forms of the Animal Crossing villager across Smash and Mario Kart and whatever

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Fair, but I don't buy that adding more customization would ruin what they're trying to go for. It's squid kids with tentacle hair. That's probably not why I'm in marketing.

I'd just rather not have to wait until Splatoon 3 to be able to have a ponytail or pompadour or whatever.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ometeotl posted:

Sprinkler Rush when?

I never realized how badly I want an ability until I read this

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

dragon enthusiast posted:

Unfortunately the game limits you to one Sprinkler at a time

What I'm trying to say is, Squid Beakon Rush

I'm aware, but I'm willing for the game to bend the rules for an ability that awesome :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

When are Splat Zones and Tower Control going to be playable in non ranked? I want to be able to play with friends, but also the "losers get no gold" really crushes my balls. Like I don't care about my rank at all, it's just there to keep me matched with people roughly around my skill. But earlier today I played a splat zone match on skatepark where the timers at the end of the five minutes were 88 and 82. It was such an even match that nobody could hold onto both points for very long. It was actually pretty cool! Until it turned out that, since I lost, I only got about 40 gold.

I want to play fun modes but I still have weapons and gear that need purchasing. :sigh:

• Locked thread