Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace of Baes
thinking about buying a dog, a pitbull or a german shepherd, i also have a friend who is gonna breed his great dane, and might be able to get a great dane puppy, for free

what are good dogs what are your dogxperiences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvm no cake

pit bulls are super loveable dogs, plus they look really cool and have short hair so thats a plus. the thing about them is they are extremely loyal, and want nothing more than to make their masters happy, so people take advantage of this and train them to be fighting dogs because of their jaw strength and so they get a bad rap.

Ace of Baes

The Green Calx posted:

pit bulls are super loveable dogs, plus they look really cool and have short hair so thats a plus. the thing about them is they are extremely loyal, and want nothing more than to make their masters happy, so people take advantage of this and train them to be fighting dogs because of their jaw strength and so they get a bad rap.

yeah

nvm no cake

here's my pit bull

he's a big baby and also really dumb

Gazpacho

by Fluffdaddy
you're a good dog op, yes u r!!!

kittycopter

Don't worry,
he soars above us...
all good dogs

id go with German Shepherd

ZebTM

lots of people around here have pit bulls and i pet them sometimes they seem like good dogs. if i ever get a place with a yard that allows pets i might get one. a bonus is that animal shelters are always flooded with them so you can go there and chill with a bunch and then pick one you get along with up with all its shots for less than the price of the shots

Tane

Sit boo-boo sit.

Good dog

IsaoHung

Everything they said is true
Why are you just settling for good dogs when you could aspire to acquire GREAT dogs?

loving plebian shittard.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Get an anime dog

Flynn Taggart

Golden retriever

ZebTM

IsaoHung posted:

Why are you just settling for good dogs when you could aspire to acquire GREAT dogs?

loving plebian shittard.

heres some prizewinning dogs

alnilam

Flynn Taggart posted:

Golden retriever

I've lived with goldens my whole life and I've never met one who wasn't awesome

Also though there are other breeds who are also always awesome, and a few breeds where there are simply some jerks among them but many of them are cool too

Dogs r good

Saranya

German shepherds are cool but they're high energy and they shed a lot. Danes are also good but their size comes with health issues and a shortened life span, not to mention horse sized shits that you get to deal with. Be a good person and get a dog from the shelter. There will be lots of pitbulls and cute mutts to choose from.:3: These are my dog thoughts.

Alternatively, get a cat.

poverty goat

go to a shelter and get the awesome kind of dog, dont overthink it

a dog in a shelter needs your help

Flynn Taggart

Shelter dogs are indeed better dogs

If you buy a dog from a breeder you should kill yourself right now

ron color

Saranya posted:

German shepherds are cool but they're high energy and they shed a lot. Danes are also good but their size comes with health issues and a shortened life span, not to mention horse sized shits that you get to deal with. Be a good person and get a dog from the shelter. There will be lots of pitbulls and cute mutts to choose from.:3: These are my dog thoughts.

this is spot on, but if those pups need a home you could end up w a pack of war hounds

Blue's Clues

Blue's Clues fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 28, 2014

ZebTM

Blue's Clues posted:

I really want a pit, but my insurance company made it clear they'll drop me. I know several people not named mike vick who have them, and they're all aweseome dogs and amazingly good with guests, kids, etc. From what I've seen they take the owner's lead, and if the owner is chill, so is the dog.

wtf what type of insurance

poverty goat

pits actually are kind of a problem breed due to bad breeding and bad breeders crossing them with mastiffs and whatnot to try to make them bigger and meaner so i wouldnt touch a pitt with a 1000 foot pole unless it was from the most reputable breeder with a few generations of papers and a genetic workup and even this is kind of lovely to do because you're leaving a shelter dog to die so you can have your idealized dog accessory

go be a dog's superhero and rescue a dog from certain death and then youll wonder why you ever thought about doing anything else

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 16, 2014

Count Thrashula

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
my dog is a mix between a schnauzer and a pug, and he looks just as goofy as you'd think

my dog is 'yob as fuuuuuuuuck

Count Thrashula

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
my dog got one eye on tha titties, one eye on tha streets

Blue's Clues

Blue's Clues fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 28, 2014

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

IsaoHung

Everything they said is true

QPZIL posted:

my dog is a mix between a schnauzer and a pug, and he looks just as goofy as you'd think

my dog is 'yob as fuuuuuuuuck

I have two Schnauzers. I think your Schnauzer pug is pretty drat cute.
And by cute I mean he fits in with yob pretty drat well.
You guys are just so cute.

MadMattH

Gazpacho posted:

you're a good dog op, yes u r!!!

He is not a good dog! I have it on good authority that he is the one who got into the garbage, pissed on the floor and ate out of the cat box.

ZebTM

so its basically a legal way for them to say "we dont serve poor (black) people"

circ dick soleil

by zen death robot

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 16, 2014

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

this is a v good dog, what breed is it?

feld

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Giant Schnauzers are boss

poverty goat

these are just the low grade dogs he feeds to his family

poverty goat

deep dish peat moss

Pitbulls are awful even if you train them right because they're extremely strong and have a shitload of energy. German Shepherds are consistently the best dogs I've ever had so get one of those.

deep dish peat moss

Also never buy a purebreed anything, not because of the awful breeding conditions (i really don't care) but because they have a ton of health problems compared to mutts and are very expensive to take care of and generally don't live as long as mutts.

MadMattH

Funnypost Collabo posted:

Also never buy a purebreed anything, not because of the awful breeding conditions (i really don't care) but because they have a ton of health problems compared to mutts and are very expensive to take care of and generally don't live as long as mutts.

Just go to the pound or shelter and find one that looks like a breed you want. Unless you plan on breeding, having a pure bred dog makes no sense.
By the way that great dane puppy will be pure hell. They like to play with things comparable in size to them, like couches and tables and poo poo. Also with great size comes great big shits.
Also just get a dog that likes you and you like back.

poverty goat

Funnypost Collabo posted:

this is really a breed specific thing, some breeds like pugs are just fundamentally broken and you are a bad person if you support anyone who breeds them for money

I grew up with beagles, I have beagles and my sister, parents and grandfather have beagles, and aside from the occasional ear infection from the floppy ears trapping moisture inside they are one of the healthiest breeds around as far as genetic health problems go. They're all spun off from local hunting stock though, not inbred show dogs. Beagles are some of the friendliest most gentle and personable dogs around but they can be anxious and barky so they're generally not the best if you have to leave the dog along in an apartment a lot (though my sister has had 2 beagles in apartments in NYC that never barked at anything, it depends a lot on the dog). There tend to be a lot of beagles in shelters and even more in rescues.

RIP the last one she was a good dog

treasure bear

jack russell terrier imo

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Man if you are near Ohio, my brother's family is trying to get rid of a pit bull he found in the street.

We can't find anyone to take him (yes we've contacted the rescue societies and craigslist) and his family can't keep the dog because they are having a baby and they don't trust him around a baby. Right now it looks like there's a decent chance he will end up at the pound.

Forgot to mention, he's a beautiful, incredibly loving dog, he is just a little too energetic and (aggressively) loving for a baby to be around

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 17, 2014

Ace of Baes
i'll prob get a pit but uhh why do you guys care so much if shelter dogs die? i mean i like animals and understand forming emotional bonds to animals you own or w/e, but random dogs/cats/w/e i don't really care if they die, i mean they're animals like cows or chicken or deer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
i agree that it is better to find places for animals in shelters; but also if they all got euthanized tomorrow, i wouldnt care that much

edit: i wouldn't be surprised if i ended up getting a shelter dog anyway because my girlfriend does dog adoption type of stuff for her work sometimes

• Locked thread