Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arnold of Soissons

by XyloJW

Funnypost Collabo posted:

Pitbulls are awful even if you train them right because they're extremely strong and have a shitload of energy.

same + they eat babies

420 euth a pit owner ery day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
pitbulls are good dogs if they have good owners

treasure bear

Nacho Destroyer posted:

pitbulls are good dogs if they have good owners

every pitbull owner thinks they are are a good owner

alnilam

Pit bulls can be great but they have an instinct to dig (their name comes from digging out pits as they were bredd to kill burrowing vermins)
Some of them don't really show this behavior but some do and i think that's part of why house insurance doesn't like them (they "dig" inside), but honestly i know many people with pits and none of them have had this problem

Also pits can seem super sweet but then be aggressive when their owner isn't around that's why you hear about pit bull attacks and the owner is all "wtf she's a really sweet dog how did this happen" but you can socialize them better to be chill with other folks

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Nacho Destroyer posted:

i'll prob get a pit but uhh why do you guys care so much if shelter dogs die? i mean i like animals and understand forming emotional bonds to animals you own or w/e, but random dogs/cats/w/e i don't really care if they die, i mean they're animals like cows or chicken or deer

i don't really care at the end of the day what you do but if you state an intention to do a thing it's usually best practice to do it in a way that both gets you what you want and provides a net gain for the world at large

getting a shelter dog no matter the type does this

poverty goat

Nacho Destroyer posted:

i'll prob get a pit but uhh why do you guys care so much if shelter dogs die? i mean i like animals and understand forming emotional bonds to animals you own or w/e, but random dogs/cats/w/e i don't really care if they die, i mean they're animals like cows or chicken or deer

you sound like the kind of person who should just get a cat

poverty goat

get a cat from a shelter though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadMattH

Nacho Destroyer posted:

i agree that it is better to find places for animals in shelters; but also if they all got euthanized tomorrow, i wouldnt care that much

edit: i wouldn't be surprised if i ended up getting a shelter dog anyway because my girlfriend does dog adoption type of stuff for her work sometimes

I for one choose the shelter dog mostly because they are literally the underdogs. They got dealt a lovely hand and if you can help them out go ahead. Also, shelter dogs aren't (usually) inbred nearly as much as a pure breed and cost less to actually get. There isn't any real need for a pure breed unless you are using it for what that specific breed was bred for (work), for breeding or for showing. It can cost lots more to have a pure breed and in a lot of cases if they ever breed with another type of dog they are ruined (in the eyes of breeders) for breeding anyway. And keeping your dog from doing the nasty business with whatever dog they want is a hassle, also get it fixed.
So unless you are a sheep herder (or whatever..rat catcher fits too), or a dog breeder, or a dog show person (just having this discussion I assume you aren't), just get whatever dog likes you and you like best and can handle being around (you and the dog) most of the time.'

gggiiimmmppp posted:

you sound like the kind of person who should just get a cat
'
Why hook him up with an easy animal that doesn't care whether he lives or dies, let's convince him to get like a 'tame' raccoon or something evil. Maybe a possum.

MadMattH fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 17, 2014

• Locked thread