Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win it all next year?
This poll is closed.
Spurs 165 32.93%
Thunder 76 15.17%
Clippers 54 10.78%
Warriors 50 9.98%
Rockets 23 4.59%
Lakers 133 26.55%
Total: 501 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

nachos posted:

I remember the forums making GBS threads themselves because the Spurs got another late steal with Splitter, which they did. Like it was the most predictable god drat thing ever that they would stash a talented overseas player who would later become a major contributor.

Man, you guys are going to be pissed when Jean-Charles comes over. The Spurs still have quite a bit of potential overseas. Probably nobody as good as Splitter but at least one of them should turn in to a solid contributor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Inside Outside posted:

We already have a contender in the "Who's gonna pay the gently caress out of Patty Mills to be their starting point guard" race and it's exactly who you'd think it'd be.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/?p=16125

Depending on the money, I think Mills could actually work out pretty well if the Knicks run the triangle. Are the Knicks running the triangle?

I doubt the Spurs let him get away for 3.3 million. He's getting away, but not for the taxpayer exception. I think he's going to get a bit more than that. Then again the Spurs may be confident enough in Cory Joseph.

Why do people keep saying the Heat made the finals like it's some huge accomplishment? Is there a West playoff team that wouldn't have been favorites to make the Finals if they were in the Heat's spot?

Wade is definitely not dead. He had a pretty great year. He was good against Indiana, though getting worse. He was also pretty decent at the start of the Spurs series. He was getting hounded like crazy in the last two games. If he can be something more than one of the worst 3 point shooters ever then the Heat's offense will take on a whole new dynamic. It was commendable when he stopped shooting 3's to make the offense more efficient. He needed to keep working on it. You can't force the Heat in to a better shot than a Wade 3 pointer. Getting even a modicum of respect from the arc will totally change how they have to be guarded and will make Lebron even more lethal.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Kawhi Leonard is about to get real expensive. For some reason I was thinking the contracts ramped up slower. The Spurs can afford him but he's going to be the highest paid player on the team in two years.

Shouldn't Paul George's contract be way higher than what shamsports is reporting? He got a 5/30%, which is waaaay higher.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Eltoasto posted:

George also only took half of the Rose rule bump when they negotiated the extension, so that may be why it's off a mil or two.

Yeah I didn't know about that. That's going to save the Pacers almost 2 million. Not that they're going to have any money anyway.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Zogo posted:

The other thing is this Spurs team having no MVP level player. Something that really can't be said for a team since the 89 and 90 Pistons which makes it even more surprising that they had the largest MOV at +70 and largest MOV/G at 14 in finals history (and even in the top twenty for all playoff series combined). Some of this could be attributed to the Heat fatigue of going to four straight finals but not all of it.

I don't think this is really surprising and I don't think the Heat got tired so much as the Spurs were a much better team.

Zogo posted:

It'd probably depend on HCA but I wouldn't think those 4-8 seeds would be favored significantly over the Heat. It's still an accomplishment due to amount of games a team has to win. Lately some TV analysts have been downplaying playoff records because the old

If they took the Heat's spot, meaning the Heat wouldn't be a factor.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Blind Pineapple posted:

Lowry has shot over 40% from 3 for the last 4 years, and he gives them another guy to take scoring/ball-handling pressure off Wade. Also means Mario Chalmers can disappear permanently.

Lowry has never shot over 40% from 3. You're confusing his terrible FG% with 3P%. He's a good enough 3 point shooter anyway.

Zogo posted:

You thought they were really going to dish out the most dominating finals performance ever? Being tired and being a better team aren't mutually exclusive things. If Birdman, Wade and Allen were at peak health things would've been different.

Why do you think the Spurs were only +2 on the Mavericks in the first round?

I didn't think the Spurs would dominate as much as they did, but I did think the Spurs would win in 5.

The Mavericks had the best strategy. Tony, Patty, Marco, and Kawhi along with the entire defense weren't playing very well. Sometimes poo poo happens.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Why would Wade opt-out? He's owed like $42 million over the next 2 seasons and will be unlikely able to get that anywhere else. I guess there is a scenario where he opts out and takes a smaller deal to help them add some bench talent, but I don't see it being nearly as much as people like Windhorst envision.

My opinion of Dwyane Wade will go up dramatically if his selfishness* combined with Lebron's loyalty turns Lebron's legacy in to a 2-4 finals record with continual disappointment.

*not meant as an insult, Wade shouldn't opt out.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Spacebump posted:

One conclusion we can come to is that the 2011 Mavs would have beat this year's Spurs.

hmmmmmmm I cannot find Blair on their roster.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I am watching the parade because I am a loser: http://www.nba.com/live2/

I'm having trouble finding the parade GDT.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToZrvGvJt-A

This video is pretty cool. I'd never seen Kawhi's college shot, holy moley is it ugly. Chip saw that and his thought is "I can fix it!" He better not leave the Spurs.

Also, 1.1 ppp in isolation. loling all over the place on that one.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

I'd like to think the pick talk is just like the Noel/Philly deal last year were people just got confused which way the pick is going and reporting the wrong thing

That was hilarious. At first it looks like a reasonable deal and then all of a sudden Philly is committing highway robbery.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Icy Penguigo posted:

I meant he's a better shooter from 3 but I'll just shut up about the whole thing now.

You're right, though. I'm sure Irving and Love would look a lot better playing next to Lebron.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Spacebump posted:

I think Houston might be the best place for LeBron to sign this summer.

I'm pretty sure it's San Antonio.

We all know that Lebron is all talk and cares about winning less than living the life though.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Rick posted:

One of the spots Bosh is best on is the opposite wing (where Love shoots a decent amount of shots, too, he just doesn't hit them), but he doesn't just hit corner threes he hits them all over at a decent rate if not a decent volume.

This would be a beautiful movie.

Bosh shoots 33%.

Love shoots 37%.

This is a world of difference. Especially when taken in to consideration how they're being guarded.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Rick posted:

"not as good a shooter as Chris Bosh" isn't exactly making GBS threads on a guy.

Love shoots really good from one part of the floor. Bosh shoots better than him from everywhere else. It's really easy to take one part of the floor from a player.

Does "one part of the floor" mean the entire three point line?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Spite posted:

Klay Thompson has become one of the best wing defenders in the league. He was better than Iggy last year, imo.
He's much more than a rich man's Korver.

Klay's dad is always pushing for him to play for the Lakers. But they do already have Kobe - I guess one could play the 3? And Klay's kind of a space cadet, which I'm sure Kobe would hate.

Korver and Klay are totally unrelated. Klay is not a rich man's Korver because Korver is significantly better than Klay at Korver's main skill.

gingerberger posted:

Statistics certainly aren't everything, but the statistics disagree with you.

Klay had a Defensive Win Shares of 3.2, the 3rd highest from a shooting guard (Butler and Stephenson were higher) and higher than Iguodala's 3.1.

I'm not sure he's on Iguodala's level, but he's in the same neighborhood.

Defensive winshares are okay, but not when used like this. It's way too blunt. Also Klay had .055 DWS/48, Iggy had .074. By defensive winshares Iggy is way better. Iggy had 3 lower defensive rating as well.

Edit: Just noticed the avatar. That's hilarious.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Lebron's coming to the Spurs. Sign him for 10 mil and then resign Boris with the MLE.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

gingerberger posted:

That's kind of my point. It seems like that would be true, but they still have NBA players. I'm not saying I expect this to happen, but no one expected the Raptors to be much much better without Gay (maybe a little better, but not a tier 2 Eastern team). I'm just not sure Melo is actually THAT good. He is obviously fantastic in 1-1 situations but I'm just not sure he helps your offense much.

A tier 2 eastern team is the saddest phrase ever uttered.

Yes, the knicks can win 40 games next year. There's a lot of upheaval happening and sometimes those teams surprise you.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

I don't know why everyone loves this image so much. A dude got hurt because some idiots decided to commit the worst blocking ever.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

glowing-fish posted:

I guess the biggest thing about all the James rumors/speculations is:

1. Is there another team where James is realistically and clearly going to have a better shot at a championship?

2. Can that team actually sign him?

I think the answer to 1 is "Maybe" and the answer to 2 is "No".

There are a few teams where James has a better shot than he does in Miami. San Antonio, The Thunder, possibly other teams in the Western conference, but I think it is an uphill argument to say that the Clippers with James have a better shot than the Heat with James. I don't even know if the Spurs or the Thunder would do much better with him on them. Kind of by an analogy, putting chocolate syrup on a burrito doesn't make it better.

And then for those teams to sign him, it seems it would take some type of weird salary wizardry. Maybe James would sign for the NBA minimum salary to be part of a blockbuster team, but it seems unlikely.

And I don't believe that he is going to go to Denver or somewhere like that and magically turn the team into a contender. What makes more sense: staying with a double championship team that has a few flaws, or going to a non-contender and hope all the ingredients come together to make a great team?

San Antonio can clear enough space for Lebron by waiving Parker and not re-signing anyone.

There are also some less likely possibilities that involve trading Splitter and stuff.

It's fun to day dream about.

If the Spurs returned the same team minus Splitter, Mills, and Diaw and added Lebron James they'd be a much, much better team. Lebron adds value to any team unless they're put in to a position where they're struggling to keep 5 NBA quality players on the court the whole game.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Kibner posted:

Asik on the Pels makes me happy. :) So many different front-court combinations can be played now that there is someone that can protect the rim without fouling out in 15 minutes in addition to Davis.

That's a legit scary front court. They didn't repeat the idiocy of the Jrue trade either.

I think the Pelicans have a lot of potential. Maybe not quite next year but their time is coming.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Kibner posted:

I assume this is sarcastic, but something I found out this season is that teams actually lose some of their timeouts if they aren't spent soon enough. I can't remember if it is at halftime, the fourth quarter, or both.

They might be losing more as the NBA tries to speed up the length of games.

Jersey ads would let the NBA run fewer commercials to try to get down to the 2 hour mark. I don't think that's a trade off they're going to want to make.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Intruder posted:

Losing more as in fewer total timeouts or as in more TV timeouts? Because I don't see how it speeds up the game in the slightest if you're still using the same number of total timeouts, and the TV timeout doesn't come out of the team's bank if they've already used one so it could only slow the game down, not speed it up

Currently teams get charged timeouts for TV timeouts. The D league has altered it's rules on timeouts slightly, and teams will each lose down to 2 timeouts, if they have more than that. Because of TV timeouts you could only have 3, the rest would have already been charged to you for commercial breaks. Now you either have to use that timeout at some point, or it goes away. For the D league, anyway.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

I hope they go through all this poo poo, Wade gets even worse, and the team isn't as good as last year's.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

PantsFreeZone posted:

How dare the Heat take less money to stay together! Why can't they be like the Spurs and take less money to stay together?

The Spurs didn't really take less money to stay together. Duncan's contract was signed when it looked like he was on his last legs with injury problems and staying on the court. Don't get me wrong it is insanely cheap. Parker's been chronically underpaid, but he also signed his extension after one of his worst seasons as a pro. Ginobili was widely considered to be overpaid when he signed his last contract and has been paid pretty fairly.

The Spurs situation is absolutely nothing like the Heat situation. Duncan took less money than he could have demanded but Parker and Ginobili have both been pretty fairly paid. This isn't guys taking half of what they could. They all took discounts basically due to injury/age.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

PantsFreeZone posted:

This is the sweetest thing to wake up to Monday morning.

I'm pretty sure Declan had a better Monday morning recently.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

gingerberger posted:

Per Zach Lowe: "The basketball side of the Nets’ business is projected to have lost $144 million over the 2013-14 season, according to a confidential memo the league sent to all 30 teams in early June. (Grantland has reviewed and verified the memo with a half-dozen sources.)"

I know the mad Russian has nearly infinite money, but if they don't turn things around soon won't he just say "gently caress it" and either sell the team or just become totally involved. They may be better next year but they really don't look to be a contender in the woeful east in the next 6 years because of all those lost picks.

Those numbers must be doctored. Unless I have old numbers the Nets paid 185 million on their roster. That means with no roster payments they would have made 41 million. If they had a 60 million dollar roster that means they would have been in the red for 19 million.

Unless I'm missing something I don't think there's any way Brooklyn can legitimately lose almost 20 million a year with a normal roster construction.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Lockback posted:

As also stated, the Nets have costs beyond just the Roster. They have to pay FO salaries, Arena rental/fees, travel costs, etc. Running a basketball team is more than just paying players.

No poo poo. How can the Thunder make over 20 million and the Nets lose about 30 million assuming they paid the same payroll?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Lockback posted:

Thunder charge a lot more for tickets because they are more successful, including a pretty long and lucrative playoff run? Also, they didn't pay the same payroll? Nets paid way more in salary and tax.

Dexo posted:

Because the payroll is comically skewed in one direction. The Nets are paying some 180 million or so in payroll.

I didn't think subtraction was this hard. Let me know if I'm missing something.

The Thunder made 29 million last year with 71 million in payroll.

The Nets lost 144 million last year with ~185 million in payroll and taxes.

If the Nets had only paid 71 million in payroll like the thunder, they would have lost 30 million.

Why are the Thunder 59 million dollars more profitable than the Nets assuming they both pay out 71 million on payroll? It makes the Nets look totally unprofitable even when they aren't above the salary cap.

I haven't seen a link to the actual memo, so let me know if I'm conflating numbers that shouldn't be.

Lockback posted:

I think Bashez is saying (in his weird way) how come if you took the salary difference Brooklyn would still be losing money, and I think the answer is Brooklyn has a lot more operating costs, no playoff tickets, and less revenue in general.

Brooklyn played 12 playoff games to OKC's 19.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Emanuel Collective posted:

Brooklyn also paid around $80 million in the luxury tax this year iirc

I'm clearly pretty terrible at getting my point across.

Here's as simple as I can make it:

The Nets would be losing 10 million a year at the salary floor.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Assuming they don't mess up the rest of the offseason and are healthy, Memphis would look much better on that alone. Plus adding Pau to the bench would help their big men depth a lot. The Mavs could vault ahead of the Spurs because of Tyson Chandler. Now the Spurs won't be able to treat the Mavs D like a layup line.

How much worse do the Spurs have to be for the Mavs to be better than them next year?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Tae posted:

Except that Spurs plan didn't work the first time, and the reason why it worked the 2nd time is because the Heat's usual role players like Birdman, Battier, and Chalmers all poo poo the bed or expired. If it's true that the Heat can actually afford a key 4th and 5th player that isn't over 35, you have to get Melo.

The Spurs plan was pretty different from last year to this year.

The Heat are going to be beatable pretty much no matter who they sign. They're simply not going to be able to upgrade all over the place, and they have a ton of holes. They could become heavy favorites, but they're not going to be 70 win levels of dominance.

FlamingLiberal posted:

If I'm Melo I would be nervous about committing to a team with a Rose in his medical situation. That team just isn't the same when he's not there

Melo can take the offensive load when Rose is out. That team with Melo doesn't even need Rose to be fighting for a finals spot.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

WEREWAIF posted:

Malone played 38 minutes per game in those playoffs and averaged a double double plus 3 assists and a steal

He's wrong about Malone playing but the Lakers easily win that title that year if Malone doesn't tear his MCL.

Lorini posted:

Given the age of the Spur's "Big Three" and the Heat's "Big Three" the expectation is that the Spurs guys would have been ready for burial by the Finals, but instead the Heat died. So if the East is 'easier' AND the players were younger, why didn't the Heat win again? I guess I'm beginning to wonder about the 'East is easier' thing if you are looking for a ring. It's absolutely easier to get to the Finals, but that's not the same as getting a ring.

This doesn't make a lick of sense.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

WEREWAIF posted:

They easily would have lost in the same way, because their team was old and dysfunctional,and the pistons were in their prime and filled with fearsome camaraderie

I know you're joking but it's really lovely that everyone forgets how good Malone made those Lakers.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Metapod posted:

The griz sweeping the spurs

baron davis and the 8 seeded warriors beating the mavs

james harden guarding lebron

The Spurs have never been swept by the Grizzlies. It managed to be a competitive series despite the Spurs' best playing having a broken arm and Randolph playing the best playoffs of his life.

WEREWAIF posted:

Those Pistons were historically great on defense and I won't have some lowlife dismiss them

It's got to suck for your historically great defense to be second best the year it happened.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

roundmidnight posted:

If he sustained the injury during the season the Spurs should make him whole and give him his market value. Anything else would be pretty cold.

His market value cannot accurately be determined now.

Well, it can, it's just post shoulder news.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

WEREWAIF posted:

I think 12 is fair for Lowry, keeping in mind that Toronto needs to pay a premium because of tax issues

How much does this matter? Is Canada the only state that doesn't have them paying local state income taxes where they play the game versus where they reside?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

cp91886 posted:

Does anybody in the league even have a signature celebration any more? Lebron's got his push the floor down thing I guess. Who am I missing?

The Spurs bench does the hand sign for Kawhi, though he doesn't do it himself.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

I'm really happy about that Diaw contract. I was worried it was going to be pushing 8 figures.

Mr.Booter posted:

Maybe we don't re-sign Leonard until next year? That would be risky to me as his price will go up even more, potentially.

Leonard is under contract next year for a set amount of money, signing an extension doesn't change it. He'll get his extension and it won't affect the cap for the coming year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Kibner posted:

A neat thing is that they also list the average height (6'6") and age (25) of the players on that roster.

They only have heights for Irving and Cousins, which makes their average height funnier.

• Locked thread