Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, do anyone have some impressions of Always Sometimes Monsters? What I've heard of it makes me somewhat curious but the fact that it looks like an RPG maker game makes me a bit wary.

Check out the metatags Steam users have for it to get an idea of the level of headmates bullshit you're signing up for first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Everblight posted:

This is :10bux: you literally cannot spend any better.

I dunno, you could spend it on something that isn't Guacamelee

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

kazil posted:

I dunno, you could spend it on something that isn't Guacamelee

Aside from the dumb memes, it's a pretty solid game.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Eruonen posted:

Aside from the dumb memes, it's a pretty solid game.

I dunno, I felt it started out fine but then turned into dumb bullshit twitch jumping sequences and super tedious combat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Guacamelee is excellent and stays excellent throughout, purchase Guacamelee with your money dollars and play it in your sitting chair.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

kazil posted:

I dunno, I felt it started out fine but then turned into dumb bullshit twitch jumping sequences and super tedious combat.

I mean, it gets hard towards the end (especially the platforming) but I wouldn't call it dumb bullshit or really even twitchy. you gotta get into a rhythm with the jumping and world swapping.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Awesome! posted:

I mean, it gets hard towards the end (especially the platforming) but I wouldn't call it dumb bullshit or really even twitchy. you gotta get into a rhythm with the jumping and world swapping.

I found the main issue is that there isn't a whole lot of variety in the enemies after a while, and then the boss fights introduce totally different mechanics that you suddenly need to adjust to.

Also the hit-stagger is annoyingly long.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

kazil posted:

I think people could go either way on the jumping though I did find some of it pretty awful but the shield mechanic in combat was just atrocious when you're facing multiple enemies. I kept thinking the combat would get better, but it just goes downhill from the minute the shield mechanic shows up.

Several encounters go into tedium mode too. I dragged myself through the last hour to get to the last boss, realized what the fight was and uninstalled the game.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, do anyone have some impressions of Always Sometimes Monsters? What I've heard of it makes me somewhat curious but the fact that it looks like an RPG maker game makes me a bit wary.

I've only put three hours into it, but I don't think the aesthetic is a problem. Named or otherwise relevant characters get a more detailed picture when you're talking to them and it has decent music. It's more of an interactive story and people's interest are probably going to depend on how they like the tone. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it feels like webcomic: the video game. "Wacky" "adult" stuff happens that you'll either find mildly amusing or aggravatingly stupid, at least as far as I've played. I'd recommend finding a brief gameplay video before buying it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Every time you guys say Guacamelee's platforming is frustrating I wonder if I'm a savant at the genre or you guys are just that bad. Except for the optional stuff, it's really not that hard. The shielding mechanic I could do without, but except for green shields most times it's easy to break them and juggle the enemies into oblivion.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

If any of you don't have Mark of The Ninja, then you seriously need to hop on that sale and get the Special Edition. The base game is amazingly well done and I'd probably put it as one of the best stealth games out there. Special edition on the other hand adds a whole new playstyle to choose from that adds replay value.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Scyantific posted:

If any of you don't have Mark of The Ninja, then you seriously need to hop on that sale and get the Special Edition. The base game is amazingly well done and I'd probably put it as one of the best stealth games out there. Special edition on the other hand adds a whole new playstyle to choose from that adds replay value.
Does the SE just unlock the super-stealth suit from the beginning? Because I think (much like Mirror's Edge's "Don't Use Guns" achievement) people mis-play Mark of the Ninja and do themselves a disservice by not hiding under grates and pulling guards down and killing them. It's really, really awesome and feels very satisfying.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dias posted:

Every time you guys say Guacamelee's platforming is frustrating I wonder if I'm a savant at the genre or you guys are just that bad. Except for the optional stuff, it's really not that hard. The shielding mechanic I could do without, but except for green shields most times it's easy to break them and juggle the enemies into oblivion.

I didn't understand what people were saying when I was playing it, until I got to the the last 5% of the game and then it had some horrible unfun bullshit platforming. Also you may not realize some of the stuff is optional until later on (or you get abilities that make it easier). There was one spot where you had to keep jumping between some walls and do some acrobatic stuff that was optional but took me forever and I would have skipped it :(

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Everblight posted:

Does the SE just unlock the super-stealth suit from the beginning? Because I think (much like Mirror's Edge's "Don't Use Guns" achievement) people mis-play Mark of the Ninja and do themselves a disservice by not hiding under grates and pulling guards down and killing them. It's really, really awesome and feels very satisfying.

Nope, it's a whole new playstyle that encourages nonlethal play.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Xaris posted:

I didn't understand what people were saying when I was playing it, until I got to the the last 5% of the game and then it had some horrible unfun bullshit platforming. Also you may not realize some of the stuff is optional until later on (or you get abilities that make it easier). There was one spot where you had to keep jumping between some walls and do some acrobatic stuff that was optional but took me forever and I would have skipped it :(

Yeah there are a couple of really rough platforming sections required to get the good ending, the treetops one is probably the hardest. It's pretty tame in comparison to something like Meat Boy though.

The shield mechanic was totally fine though. You barely even need to worry about groups of enemies with different shields if you just special cancel fast enough. The one exception is those physical shield guys who counter attack you if you hit them with the wrong color, those guys are rough in the few spots they are teamed up with other shield guys.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I bought Guacamelee in last Christmas sale on goon recommendation and it turned out to be one of my best purchases from that time. I simply loved it from start to finish. Some of the optional challenges were tricky, but even those gave me the good kind of "I'll get it this time" frustration.

My own hot tip for the game is: use a goddamn controller. Don't even try to finish the game on keyboard. You might get to and even defeat X'tabay but after that you simply have so many mechanics and moves to keep using on the fly that you need a gamepad. I used Xbox controller from the beginning and everything worked just perfect. Also, learning to chain moves into longer combos and how to punish enemies after attacks is crucial later on in the game and especially in boss fights.

As for the internet humor in the game, the trailer was what kept me away from the game for a long time, but once I actually played it, it was pretty good for most of the time and some of the background gags and posters were even somewhat subtle. Still not exactly amazing, but much better than what one would expect.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
For those of you who missed it during the sale, Shadow warrior is on sale again. Its a little more expensive than it was during the flash sale, but its still worth $10. Its the closest I've found to a new bullet storm.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Laputanmachine posted:

As for the internet humor in the game, the trailer was what kept me away from the game for a along time, but once I actually played it, it was pretty good
Seriously. The game has like three billboards which reference other things but with a mexican flair like Grumpy Cat in a sombrero, and the rest of the comedy and writing (especially your trainer) is all really, really good.

The castle crashers thing was funny too. :colbert:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
For anyone who doesn't want to buy Guacamelee because they are afraid of memes, there's a poster of a Luchador Link and Mega Man that reads: EL LINKO VS MEGA HOMBRE

Buy Guacamelee.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Laputanmachine posted:

My own hot tip for the game is: use a goddamn controller. Don't even try to finish the game on keyboard. You might get to and even defeat X'tabay but after that you simply have so many mechanics and moves to keep using on the fly that you need a gamepad. I used Xbox controller from the beginning and everything worked just perfect. Also, learning to chain moves into longer combos and how to punish enemies after attacks is crucial later on in the game and especially in boss fights.

I didn't do the optional content (mostly because I'm not much for completionism than because it was hard), but I completed the game on keyboard. It's a bit finger-twisty, but it's doable. Probably makes it significatively harder, tho, so your tip is still valuable.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

LordHippoman posted:

For anyone who doesn't want to buy Guacamelee because they are afraid of memes, there's a poster of a Luchador Link and Mega Man that reads: EL LINKO VS MEGA HOMBRE

Buy Guacamelee.

Actually El Linko was featured in another poster. Mega Hombre's opponent was Majora's Mask wearing fellow named El Mascara.

As a counterpoint to these, if I had seen Me Gusta Guavas or Pedro Bear as the first billboards, I probably would have uninstalled the game then and there. But as I said, there's very little of that going on in the game.

Buy Guacamelee.

The soundtrack is pretty good too.

Edit:

Dias posted:

I didn't do the optional content (mostly because I'm not much for completionism than because it was hard), but I completed the game on keyboard. It's a bit finger-twisty, but it's doable. Probably makes it significatively harder, tho, so your tip is still valuable.

Hot drat, that is worthy of an achievement.

Laputanmachine fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 1, 2014

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I think the best reasons to use a controller for Guacamelee, aside from the optional content, come towards the end, because I can think of two bosses in particular Javier and Skeleton Calaca that really require you to be able to use the special attacks quickly.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Quest For Glory II posted:

The Summer Sale never ends.

Always Sometimes Monsters $7.49
Bleed $2.00
Contrast $7.49
Defense Technica $3.74
Dungeon Hearts $0.74
Dyad $3.74
Fez $4.99
Foul Play $3.74
Guacamelee $2.99
Heavy Bullets $7.49
Hotline Miami $3.99
Luftrausers $5.99
Mark of the Ninja $5.99
Mark Ecko's Getting Up $3.74
Retro City Rampage $2.50
Rogue Legacy $7.49
Serious Sam series 85% off
Shadow Warrior $9.99
Starseed Pilgrim $2.99
Superbrothers $2.40
Towerfall Ascension $10
The Yawhg $4.99

Are the serious sam games worth playing? And (broken record) do they have controller support?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Ularg posted:

Are the serious sam games worth playing? And (broken record) do they have controller support?

The only game in the pack that I seriously don't like is Random Encounter.

The games in it that don't have controller support: Classics, Serious Sam 2, Random Encounter. I think everything else does.

Breadallelogram fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 1, 2014

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Ularg posted:

Serious sam, Serious Sam TSE, and 3 own. 2 is crap.

They're twitch FPS games so even if you could play them with a controller you probably don't want to.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I'm disappointed the duke 3d $1.50 vote didn't win. I might just buy the daily $3.75 bundle it's in though. I was hoping it would show up sometime after the sale on its own.

Is the workshop for duke 3d decently integrated?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Breadallelogram posted:

The only game in the pack that I seriously don't like is Random Encounter.

The games in it that don'thave controller support: Classics, Serious Sam 2, Random Encounter. I think everything else does.

If you have or get pinnacle game profiler they have premade profiles for First and Second Encounter and 2 so you can use a controller on them it's just not built into the game.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Speaking of games with controller support, Heavy Bullets recently added controller support. It's a really neat game that's on sale at the moment, and I highly recommend it. Just keep in mind that it's early access, and there's only 8 levels at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fThm2MJMWDk

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

snipermonkey posted:

I like to imagine that after steam sales there is a lonely janitor cleaning up the mess caused by the sale in the steam mall/warehouse. He quietly does he job while the occasional valve employee walks past, sweeping up bits of digital banners and price tags.
I like to imagine that after Steam sales there is a lonely Spidermonkey cleaning up the mess caused by the sale thread in the Forums mall/warehouse. He quietly does his job while the occasional Goon walks past, flinging Cheeto dust and fedoras hither, thither, and yon.

Also I love Steam even more now that I have a job where I do not have to question if I can really afford to spend $25 on games I will probably play for 25 minutes total.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
acquired it

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 2, 2014

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I also forgot to mention that whoever said Team Fortress 2 is a cavalcade of constantly getting items was lying, BUT I did get some sort of Halloween hat by DOMINATING A FOOL in the very first match of the game I ever played so that was amusing.

I think the last time I played a multiplayer game online on purpose was Half-Life Deathmatch. Half-Life 1 Deathmatch. Hell yes. I still fondly remember being called a low-ping bastard and what a wonderful phrase that really was.

(Also my master plan to not sell the DOTA 2 summer reward until after the sale is already paying off ... yesss climb, value; climb!!!)

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Liquid Penguins posted:

I'm disappointed the duke 3d $1.50 vote didn't win. I might just buy the daily $3.75 bundle it's in though. I was hoping it would show up sometime after the sale on its own.

Is the workshop for duke 3d decently integrated?

At least you can download custom maps for the multiplayer on the fly, so that's something. The multiplayer owns bones as hard as it did back in '96.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I have been so lazy at adding games from the humble bundles to Steam that I'm discovering that I have bought at least a couple of games twice. :smithicide:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
So I just finished Marlow Briggs. I defy anyone to find a better dollar spent during the Summer sale. Such over the top ridiculousness. So drat fun.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Haven't tried Marlow Briggs yet but Ring Runner has been game of the sale for me so far. So many cool spaceships to fly and ridiculous guns and powers to equip them with. My current ship kills people with math.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 2, 2014

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Everblight posted:

It doesn't (I assume you're talking about the Path of the Mark?). It gives you an extra mission with the reward being a new outfit that focuses entirely on non-lethal combat. And while I do like to occasionally don the Path of the Hunter and go to town on everyone and absolutely murdering them, it's pretty drat cool grab the Path of Shadow and just sneak past everything without murdering/alerting anyone. I actually went back and did the NG+ mission to kill the mercenary boss with the Shadow.

Path of the Shadow is actually my favorite playstyle, followed by Path of the Hunter, and finally, Path of the Mark (the one with the teleportation ability).

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah there are a couple of really rough platforming sections required to get the good ending, the treetops one is probably the hardest. It's pretty tame in comparison to something like Meat Boy though.

The shield mechanic was totally fine though. You barely even need to worry about groups of enemies with different shields if you just special cancel fast enough. The one exception is those physical shield guys who counter attack you if you hit them with the wrong color, those guys are rough in the few spots they are teamed up with other shield guys.

Meat Boy is harder but way more enjoyable platforming. Guacamelee's a really great game but the platforming puzzles involving the light/dark worlds were awful. I think it was mostly because you have to make some very precise jumps while involving the trigger button. It just didn't feel natural at all.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
So many new games and I play Super Amazing Wagon Adventure Turbo for a half hour.

But to be fair, that was a pretty great half hour.

BritneysThong
Feb 15, 2012
I've been playing the poo poo out of Outlast, and I have to say the nay sayers in the thread when it came up as a daily were wrong. At least, for me.

Basically, the game is a found footage horror movie about an abandoned mental institute. I realize this not a lot of people's thing, but it is definitely my thing.

The game's definitely not perfect, but I'm enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yo, thanks 7zark30 for Guacamelee, you rule

• Locked thread