Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

ReidRansom posted:

I wish him best of luck. Sincerely.

Yeah :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Money has nothing to do with school quality, so I wouldn’t worry too much. Only student quality matters much to school quality.

That's not exactly true. My wife worked last year at a school with poor students and not enough funding. Was exactly as tough as you'd expect. Getting kids that are more worried about finding a meal than learning is a challenge. This year she works in a district that sent out a staff email recently saying that if enrollment declines next year they'll be subject to recapture and have to send money back to the state - an embarrassment of riches. The kids at this school don't have to worry about where their next meal comes from, their biggest behavioral issue is getting their ipad taken away. So a higher quality student, if you will. Money has everything to do with it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/965803927538151424

Less than ideal here folks

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

That's not exactly true. My wife worked last year at a school with poor students and not enough funding. Was exactly as tough as you'd expect. Getting kids that are more worried about finding a meal than learning is a challenge. This year she works in a district that sent out a staff email recently saying that if enrollment declines next year they'll be subject to recapture and have to send money back to the state - an embarrassment of riches. The kids at this school don't have to worry about where their next meal comes from, their biggest behavioral issue is getting their ipad taken away. So a higher quality student, if you will. Money has everything to do with it.

Education needs to move past the cohort system, but the logistics of the Prussian system are easy to implement and well understood.

Most of the problems in the world are because a lot of us are stuck using 18th century forms to deal with a 21st century reality.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

It sucks that we don't even have a symbolic Democratic candidate running against Abbott. Would have been a great way for Doggett, Watson, etc to go out.

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

Oh hey, early voting started today. Time to shamelessly plug my campaign itt. If you happen to live in house district 63 please check out my thread in c-spam and consider voting for me, Richard Wolf, in the democratic primaries. Yeehaw.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It sucks that we don't even have a symbolic Democratic candidate running against Abbott. Would have been a great way for Doggett, Watson, etc to go out.

Andrew White just shot bolt upright in bed, tears in his eyes.

slouch posted:

Oh hey, early voting started today. Time to shamelessly plug my campaign itt. If you happen to live in house district 63 please check out my thread in c-spam and consider voting for me, Richard Wolf, in the democratic primaries. Yeehaw.

Going against the House GOP Caucus chair, good luck.

https://twitter.com/Max_Gorden/status/965992037261725696
You know, I'm starting to think Abbott has a crush on Sarah Davis

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

slouch posted:

Oh that's you. I'll vote for you, I guess.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

zoux posted:

Andrew White just shot bolt upright in bed, tears in his eyes.

I'm pretty sure he's running as a conservative Democrat yeah? Aka a Republican.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bexar County DA chat: Joe Gonzales is going after Nico LaHood like he personally wronged him. I've gotten multiple mailings and seen several attack ads against LaHood. Last night Tim Duncan was in an ad supporting LaHood. I have no opinion really about either of them.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

slouch posted:

Good luck in your doomed, quixotic crusade.

Good Tuesday
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone can be racist, even me.

:heritage:
Don't argue with me about gun control or I'll call you out on your racial heritage!
I voted, and I liked all the hippy dippy Democratic propositions. Are those props that, if enough Dems vote for it, it comes to vote in the main election?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Good Tuesday posted:

I voted, and I liked all the hippy dippy Democratic propositions. Are those props that, if enough Dems vote for it, it comes to vote in the main election?

No they exist pretty much entirely so the Texas Democratic Party can say "X has huge support!"

Check out the GOP ones.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Good Tuesday posted:

Nah they get put on the ballot by the legislature, so only really bland neutral ones or republican ones make it.

Good Tuesday
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone can be racist, even me.

:heritage:
Don't argue with me about gun control or I'll call you out on your racial heritage!
Aw :sigh: Guess the Democratic People's Republic of Texas will live on in my dreams. And yeah, the GOP ones are crazytits.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Texas will go blue in a Presidential election before we elect another Democrat statewide

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012

skipdogg posted:

Bexar County DA chat: Joe Gonzales is going after Nico LaHood like he personally wronged him. I've gotten multiple mailings and seen several attack ads against LaHood. Last night Tim Duncan was in an ad supporting LaHood. I have no opinion really about either of them.

I dunno why this race is getting so heated. I don't really like Nico because of the Anti-Vax stuff, and I don't trust him for reasons unknown to me. Something about him throws me off, but he hasn't done anything WRONG as DA so far. Not much difference between the candidates.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Why have the Castro twins never aimed towards statewide office? A run for President out of a Cabinet post is considered more plausible? (Sadly it probably is)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zwabu posted:

Why have the Castro twins never aimed towards statewide office? A run for President out of a Cabinet post is considered more plausible? (Sadly it probably is)

Because neither of them want to lose a high-profile race.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Yeah, if they lose a race then they lose pretty much all momentum and support they've had. Kind of annoying, and we'll probably see Joaquin sit in his Congressional seat for at least 10 more years.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

TropicalCoke posted:

Yeah, if they lose a race then they lose pretty much all momentum and support they've had. Kind of annoying, and we'll probably see Joaquin sit in his Congressional seat for at least 10 more years.

So they're the political equivalent of a Deadpool action figure in its original packaging?

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Good analogy, yes. Julian did some stuff as Mayor that was cool (free PreK for San Antonio kids), but ultimately had no REAL power and went up to the HUD because it made sense politically. Now he's stuck in a weird limbo where he doesn't want to run in any lower-level races, but can't possibly go onto any higher positions without usurping a Dem lawmaker like his brother or Doggett.

Joaquin is a good man, and is largely a good Congressman. I'm not sure what his long term goals are, but it would be good to see him in a state-level seat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Julian is straight up running for president in 2020 so he ain't gonna sully his name with a lowly governorship.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I voted for Tom Wakely because he called Greg Abbott a fascist during an endorsement interview with the Houston Chronicle.

Also: if you live in US House District 10, vote for Mike Siegel!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

Gotta keep them unsullied by failure so they can be deployed in our hour of need.

*20 years later when the earth is desert wasteland*

Now's the time! Casto/Vog the Annihilator 2040

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Some people say the Democratic Party of Texas needs to go further left, to inspire the base. Some people say the Democratic Party of Texas needs to reach out to moderate Republican voters. The truth is that until a Democrat wins a statewide seat in Texas, we'll never know which is the path to go down.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I wish I could make jokes about how the Castro twins’ unsettling alien looks make them unelectable to a wider audience, but Ted Cruz exists.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Syzygy Stardust posted:

I wish I could make jokes about how the Castro twins’ unsettling alien looks make them unelectable to a wider audience, but Ted Cruz exists.

He hasn't made president yet.

But Donald exists, so. :shrug:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Shifty Pony posted:

No they exist pretty much entirely so the Texas Democratic Party can say "X has huge support!"

Check out the GOP ones.

Honestly I am in total agreement with the stadium one and wouldn't need much more convincing to vote for the toll road one.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah that list feels remarkably tame compared to what I have memories of from previous years. That might just be me smashing highlights from multiple years into a single one, though.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Any other TX-07 people out there? Curious who you're considering in the bid to unseat Stupid Piece of poo poo John Culberson. I'm partial to Alex T for a few reasons (I think he's got good positions in general, plus the background and support team to help him get some stuff done) but it seems like it's really between him and Laura Moser with Lizzie Fletcher a distant third.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/TXElects/status/966105527892758533

Cool stats but then I remember how everyone was pumped about high turnout and 2016 and we know how that turned out.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've heard Tarrant County described as a bellwether county but I'm not sure how true that is. The prez result there in 2016 basically matched the state as a whole.

But I got a feeling that it's going to come down to crucial Tarrant County.

BTW:
https://twitter.com/profJKAiyer/status/966125899186950146

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 21, 2018

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

Dameius posted:

Yeah that list feels remarkably tame compared to what I have memories of from previous years. That might just be me smashing highlights from multiple years into a single one, though.

One of them is about eliminating property tax and drastically increasing sales tax to make up for it. Which will be horribly regressive bullshit. And then there is the one about requiring all businesses e-verify employees so that it is impossible for undocumented immigrants to get jobs outside of extremely under the table day labor stuff. And the one about defunding public schools to give money to parents who want to send their kids to private schools. And the repeat of the trans bathroom bill. And the one that caps increased state revenue (and therefore increasing taxes on anything at all) at 4% without "voter approval".

I'd say it's at least as bad as any other election.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

slouch posted:

One of them is about eliminating property tax and drastically increasing sales tax to make up for it. Which will be horribly regressive bullshit. And then there is the one about requiring all businesses e-verify employees so that it is impossible for undocumented immigrants to get jobs outside of extremely under the table day labor stuff. And the one about defunding public schools to give money to parents who want to send their kids to private schools. And the repeat of the trans bathroom bill. And the one that caps increased state revenue (and therefore increasing taxes on anything at all) at 4% without "voter approval".

I'd say it's at least as bad as any other election.

Did they spitball a number they might raise it by?

Because I can't wait to save $2000/yr in property tax only to get nailed with an extra 4 grand a year on a 20% sales tax.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They aren't going to raise the sales tax

https://twitter.com/DanPatrick/status/966326811473870849

What republicans are thinking: "AAAAH Muslims AAAAAH Gay People AAAAAAAH Mexicans"

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 21, 2018

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
their goal is to simply kneecap state funding as much as possible, not actually bring in any more revenue

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I've heard Tarrant County described as a bellwether county but I'm not sure how true that is. The prez result there in 2016 basically matched the state as a whole.

BTW:

Tarrant County / Fort Worth was the largest city to vote for Trump. If there are problems there for Republicans, that’s really not good going forward. I’m looking forward to seeing what the county does.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lote posted:

Tarrant County / Fort Worth was the largest city to vote for Trump. If there are problems there for Republicans, that’s really not good going forward. I’m looking forward to seeing what the county does.
Here are the 2016 presidential election results and a precinct map:

I like the six votes for Robert Morrow and five votes for the Stalinist candidate Monica Moorehead. (I bet they're all roommates.) I had never heard of Michael Maturen of the American Solidarity Party, which is a Catholic, Christian Democratic party, but he snagged 106 votes!

Anyways the most important thing is that map, which heavily skews along ethnic lines. The bulk of the GOP vote is in the northern suburbs and west Arlington. Northern Tarrant County also seems like one of the densest Anglo regions in the state outside of the absolutely exclusive enclaves in North Dallas.

--

Better map:

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

BTW:

drat. That's something.