Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

A militia dude tried to shoot a police officer after a traffic stop, heard it was a border town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Reminder that Dale Hansen is a rad dude.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/sports/dale-hansen/2015/02/23/hansen-unplugged-signs-of-change/23921061/

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Senate will vote on a bill to dedicate revenue from the vehicle sales tax to TXDoT, which has been going into the general fund until now. I'm not a huge fan of restricting revenues like this, what are you guys' thoughts?

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/02/25/nichols-car-sales-tax-plan-moves-senate-floor/

quote:

But state Sen. Don Huffines, R-Dallas, said lawmakers have had decades to appropriate enough funds to road funding and have never done it. He said funding other areas, including education, are irrelevant if the state's transportation system is unusable.

“There’s no reason to worry about the schools if you can’t get there,” said Huffines, who voted for the bill.

Fraser warned Huffines that he should listen more carefully to those with more experience than he has.

“You’ve only been here about a month,” Fraser told Huffines. "There's a learning curve here, and institutional knowledge."

:munch:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Eh, I'm OK with that if it means they reverse the decision on letting a bunch of roads go back to gravel. Personally I'm hoping they don't try capping property tax. Because it will pass if it goes on the ballot, and that's going to gently caress us California hard.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Badger of Basra posted:

Senate will vote on a bill to dedicate revenue from the vehicle sales tax to TXDoT, which has been going into the general fund until now. I'm not a huge fan of restricting revenues like this, what are you guys' thoughts?

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/02/25/nichols-car-sales-tax-plan-moves-senate-floor/

:munch:

Huffines. It's been a while since I lived in Texas but that name and vehicle sales sounds familiar. Oh yes. It was founded by his grandfather and now his brother owns it.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

ReidRansom posted:

Eh, I'm OK with that if it means they reverse the decision on letting a bunch of roads go back to gravel. Personally I'm hoping they don't try capping property tax. Because it will pass if it goes on the ballot, and that's going to gently caress us California hard.

As a California transplant, I cannot warn you hard enough about how awful a property tax will be. That said, I think enough Republicans in Austin recognize that without property taxes they'd probably have to institute a state income tax, so I wouldn't be shocked if they keep any efforts to institute a cap under wraps.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

JosefStalinator posted:

As a California transplant, I cannot warn you hard enough about how awful a property tax will be. That said, I think enough Republicans in Austin recognize that without property taxes they'd probably have to institute a state income tax, so I wouldn't be shocked if they keep any efforts to institute a cap under wraps.

Well, local pols all over (even Republicans) are pushing back against the cap proposal, so that's good, at least.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

Well, local pols all over (even Republicans) are pushing back against the cap proposal, so that's good, at least.

Some of them are even saying we should make sure we fund everything else before we do tax cuts :wth:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
"I won't let them sell The Alamo to the UN!" says Texas state senator.

quote:

According to the Houston Chronicle, Campbell has admitted that making the Alamo a UNESCO site would not actually involve selling it to the UN. She said in warning, however, that "UNESCO starts with UN."

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
I'm actually glad bullshit war started because they're pissed about our slaves should not be revered. Sad about all that lost tourism money though gotta be honest.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It goes deeper than that. United States of America also starts with UN :tinfoil:

Here's some other infowars poo poo that serious people are talking about.

SirKibbles posted:

I'm actually glad bullshit war started because they're pissed about our slaves should not be revered. Sad about all that lost tourism money though gotta be honest.

Are you having a stroke?

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 26, 2015

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Why are tax cuts urgent now? What is different this session than in the last fee sessions when republicans had majorities?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Why are tax cuts urgent now? What is different this session than in the last fee sessions when republicans had majorities?

It's mostly new leadership trying to set a narrative.

However, it's not that new. Every session they talk about property tax cuts. It's massively pandering to people because everyone wants lower taxes. Kevin Eltife, who is one of just a handful of moderate Republicans left in the Legislature, has been going off about how irresponisble the last 10 years of fiscal policy has been.

quote:

“We have got to deal with the major problems of this state before we commit to tax cuts," state Sen. Kevin Eltife, R-Tyler, said in an interview after the announcement. “We have some big-ticket items that we can actually resolve this session. I think those needs come first.”
I think he's the only Senate republican that didn't sign on as a cosponsor for the big tax cut package they trotted out this week.

Basically, the state has maintained its low tax rate artificially by bonding the gently caress out of state revenue and being lucky with energy prices keeping oil and gas severance taxes high. Well, the "true conservative" value is pay-as-you-go, and making hard choices like raising taxes if there are services you have to pay for. But because new revenue streams are non starters and state services are already cut to the bone, the only place they can make up the need for revenue is through bond issuance. That's why this new revenue stream for transpo funding is so important (even though it's ultimately completely inadquate). Texas has been paying for road M&O through bonds, and at this point they are completely out of bonding authority. There's no other place to get money without raising taxes. The Texas finance system is a giant shell game where you move money from pot to pot and defer payments and push numbers into differing fiscal years and it's really just not "conservative" at all.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 26, 2015

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

zoux posted:

It goes deeper than that. United States of America also starts with UN :tinfoil:

Here's some other infowars poo poo that serious people are talking about.

Are you having a stroke?

Could you just say what you mean instead of trying to be a smartass like did I kick your dog one time or something?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

VOX is poo poo because they don't have comments. I want to read comments defending the Senator, only post those sources in the future thanks in advance.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

zoux posted:

It's mostly new leadership trying to set a narrative.

However, it's not that new. Every session they talk about property tax cuts. It's massively pandering to people because everyone wants lower taxes. Kevin Eltife, who is one of just a handful of moderate Republicans left in the Legislature, has been going off about how irresponisble the last 10 years of fiscal policy has been.

I think he's the only Senate republican that didn't sign on as a cosponsor for the big tax cut package they trotted out this week.

Basically, the state has maintained its low tax rate artificially by bonding the gently caress out of state revenue and being lucky with energy prices keeping oil and gas severance taxes high. Well, the "true conservative" value is pay-as-you-go, and making hard choices like raising taxes if there are services you have to pay for. But because new revenue streams are non starters and state services are already cut to the bone, the only place they can make up the need for revenue is through bond issuance. That's why this new revenue stream for transpo funding is so important (even though it's ultimately completely inadquate). Texas has been paying for road M&O through bonds, and at this point they are completely out of bonding authority. There's no other place to get money without raising taxes. The Texas finance system is a giant shell game where you move money from pot to pot and defer payments and push numbers into differing fiscal years and it's really just not "conservative" at all.

Maybe they can just start selling off roads to private companies and charge to raise the speed limit?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SirKibbles posted:

Could you just say what you mean instead of trying to be a smartass like did I kick your dog one time or something?

Your sentence makes no sense.

hobbesmaster posted:

Maybe they can just start selling off roads to private companies and charge to raise the speed limit?

You're being facetous but they already tried that.
Transportation funding is super tricky because of the zero-tax paradigm we operate under. The best thing to do would be to index the gas tax to inflation but it's a non starter because it's a tax increase. They tried the public-private partnership toll road thing, but people went loving berserk over that and created an influential anti-toll lobby. You cant bond any more because we are running up against the debt limit. There are honestly no options that are available that don't involve seat-risking hard votes and politicians sure as poo poo aren't making any of those in the current climate.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 26, 2015

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Pressley is still in it y'all!

http://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/news/2015-02-24/casar-returns-fire/

quote:

Meanwhile, Pressley’s attorney (David Rogers) has filed an amended version of his original contest, not dramatically different from the first version, but adding extensive exhibits and a few new twists – e.g., it contemplates personally deposing all 4,000-plus run-off voters as the only method of confirming the results, otherwise, the judge must order a new election. It also reiterates the extensive list of discovery requests of the election materials it would like the judge to require to be produced by Travis County, including not only the facsimile “ballot images” Pressley insists are required under state law – instead of the “cast vote records” provided at the recount and approved by the Secretary of State – and many other election-related documents, but even names and addresses of all personnel having anything to do with Travis County elections or voting machines over the last several elections.

#AustinElectionTruth

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

I swear Austin has its own version of Jerusalem syndrome, where people come here from all the uptight parts of Texas, eventually smoke their first joint, and when they don't immediately die (like their grade school DARE program told them they would) their brain immediately and permanently gets set to this weird "everything is a lie!" mode. Then Alex Jones sweeps in.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

This jumped-up disruptor got clowned on by some Austin high school kids and it was hilarious.

http://kut.org/post/besomebody-speaker-draws-controversy-austin-high-school

quote:

According to the #BeSomebody website, Shaikh wants to create a “motivational movement” that encourages people to become “passionaries."

In his speech, Shaikh talks about the importance of struggling to reach your passion. He cited his own struggle when he left his luxury apartment and "75 percent of his stock and equity" at GoPro and moved to Central Texas, where he launched his idea.

"I spent $250,000 of my own money," Shaikh said. "And when I raised money, I was moving back in with my parents at 35 years old. I had a BMW. I sold that. Now, I drive a 2004 Ford with 270,000 miles on it that doesn't start in the cold weather. There's a lot of people in a lot worse situations than me."

Shaikh says he rented an apartment in Pflugerville where he lived without any furniture except for a whiteboard that he and his brother built by hand because it was cheaper.

“When you discussed suffering and struggle after boasting of the corporate exuberance that you gave up…in front of a group of teenagers out of whom 40% receive free and reduced lunch and a faculty who has not gotten a substantive raise in at least eight years, you insulted us,” wrote Kevin Gillion, a Spanish teacher at Austin High School. “Suffering is having a disease, or living in poverty, or being chronically excluded from economic or political opportunity. Did you have to skip meals or go without electricity when you lived in the squalid, studio apartment in suburban Pflugerville? If not, then what you experienced was inconvenience–not suffering.”

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

hobbesmaster posted:

This is a direct reference to SH130 --the tollway that bypasses Austin. Right?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Badger of Basra posted:

This jumped-up disruptor got clowned on by some Austin high school kids and it was hilarious.

http://kut.org/post/besomebody-speaker-draws-controversy-austin-high-school

For those of you who aren't familiar with Austin (though I suspect about 2/3 of the regular posters are or were Austinites), SF Austin High is one of the whitest schools in Austin, and reasonably well off since it services much of the Tarrytown and Zilker area. The fact that a bunch of white kids called out this guy's feelgood BS is absolutely hilarious to me and makes me proud to be a Maroon.

Also, yes, the SFA mascot is a color.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lote posted:

This is a direct reference to SH130 --the tollway that bypasses Austin. Right?

It's not just Austin. There are places in north Texas that are almost impossible to get to without using a toll road. From Fort Worth or the Mid-Cities, try to get to Allen or Frisco without using a toll road. And I don't know if any of that revenue comes back to Texas.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

radical meme posted:

It's not just Austin. There are places in north Texas that are almost impossible to get to without using a toll road. From Fort Worth or the Mid-Cities, try to get to Allen or Frisco without using a toll road. And I don't know if any of that revenue comes back to Texas.

I remember a big uproar because the construction and funneling of profits of 183-A in Austin would be toward a German company, but now we just complain about TexTag period. I think it's just because people are more short-sighted here, having moved in the last decade and expect to move again soon.

Alkydere posted:

Also, yes, the SFA mascot is a color.

We (Leander), and some local media I think, called y'all the Fuzzy Dots.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Aliquid posted:

We (Leander), and some local media I think, called y'all the Fuzzy Dots.

The original mascot was a adorable, fuzzy terrier named Mr. Maroo. Which gave the SFA kids/fans the name "The Maroons" but once Mr. Maroo died and passed from the memory of the students and staff the Austin High mascot lost everything but the color and fuzziness.

It's an interesting history, but the end result is that Austin High's mascot is now a purple-red dustbunny with a beanie cap.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Alkydere posted:

The original mascot was a adorable, fuzzy terrier named Mr. Maroo. Which gave the SFA kids/fans the name "The Maroons" but once Mr. Maroo died and passed from the memory of the students and staff the Austin High mascot lost everything but the color and fuzziness.

It's an interesting history, but the end result is that Austin High's mascot is now a purple-red dustbunny with a beanie cap.

Uh, I'm pretty sure they're called the maroons because the school is old enough to only have a color as a mascot, but your story is cooler.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Uh, I'm pretty sure they're called the maroons because the school is old enough to only have a color as a mascot, but your story is cooler.

Nope, they actually spend time and energy teaching the students of SFA the history of the name. Complete with old black and white pictures of Mr. Maroo who's just a tiny little fuzzy ball of dog. Austin High's simply old enough for some really stupid traditions to get corrupted to be even dumber over time.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I have an 1895 map of Texas with Leander is on it, plus a 1922 map with Cedar Park. Nothing I learned while attending both high schools told me that the cities existed before 1990.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aliquid posted:

I have an 1895 map of Texas with Leander is on it, plus a 1922 map with Cedar Park. Nothing I learned while attending both high schools told me that the cities existed before 1990.

My high school had "consolidated" in the name so I know it didn't exist before the 1970s.

(It actually did but it had a different name)

computer parts fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 4, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Nope, they actually spend time and energy teaching the students of SFA the history of the name. Complete with old black and white pictures of Mr. Maroo who's just a tiny little fuzzy ball of dog. Austin High's simply old enough for some really stupid traditions to get corrupted to be even dumber over time.

You're confused about your lore.

The Official Austin High School Website posted:

From 1881 to the 1930’s, we had no particular mascot. We were the "Maroons" because our athletic team "colors" became maroon and white somewhere around 1920. By the 1930s, some Texas high schools decided they needed an animal mascot, but we resisted the trend until 1953 when two new high schools were formed in Austin. The students of the new schools chose to be the "Knights" and the "Rebels". Some began to ask "What’s a Maroon"? To answer that question, then and now, we just tell them that a "Maroon" is someone who wears maroon and boosts Austin High. The first published cartoon featuring the modern mascot was in the September 20, 1957 Austin Maroon Newspaper, where the Mascot (about 1.3 meters tall and hairy) is attacking the football mascot of one foe or another. We think the artist/creator/ "father" of the mascot was Gilbert Reyes, a 1959 graduate of the school. Maroo appeared as an engraved "cut" in the September 28, 1956, and January 30, 1957 newspapers as part of a feature story about “picking a mascot”.

There never was a dog alas.

(http://www.austinhighmaroons.org/school-facts-and-history.html)

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004
Bill to legalize pot the Link in the Texas house. The Christian values argument for legalization, is a new one I haven't heard before.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

David Simpson is loving insane by the way, so don't think he's a good or reasonable person.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Apparently some of the senators want to get rid of the margins tax all together ($4.7 billion a year): http://www.texastribune.org/2015/03/03/senators-consider-ditching-business-tax-entirely/

They say they want to replace it with something smarter but I'm not sure if I trust this Senate to let that happen.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

That dude's car doesn't start in cold weather because it's a Ford, fyi

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Apparently some of the senators want to get rid of the margins tax all together ($4.7 billion a year): http://www.texastribune.org/2015/03/03/senators-consider-ditching-business-tax-entirely/

They say they want to replace it with something smarter but I'm not sure if I trust this Senate to let that happen.

Everyone wants the franchise tax repealed. It has brought in about half of the money they expected it to bring in when they passed in in 06, only a handful of businesses end up paying it. LIke 1.1m businesses have to go through the filing process but less than 10pct owe any cash. The debate is, repeal it and replace it with what?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
In my high school we had an assembly featuring some guys who'd rip phone books and coke cans in half and preached Jesus.

! it was The Power Team. They were literally on Walker Texas Ranger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI-MUOZq_-E

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 4, 2015

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Everyone wants the franchise tax repealed. It has brought in about half of the money they expected it to bring in when they passed in in 06, only a handful of businesses end up paying it. LIke 1.1m businesses have to go through the filing process but less than 10pct owe any cash. The debate is, repeal it and replace it with what?

Income tax :unsmigghh:

But really though I have no idea. Property tax and income tax are off the table, but some conservatives seem to like VAT. Maybe we could do one of those.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dahn posted:

Bill to legalize pot the Link in the Texas house. The Christian values argument for legalization, is a new one I haven't heard before.

This is a pretty good article in Mother Jones about the 85 year old lady that started the group pushing this bill. I'm kind of glad she's looking specifically for GOP support because if it was just being pushed by Democrats, it'd never have any chance at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Income tax :unsmigghh:

But really though I have no idea. Property tax and income tax are off the table, but some conservatives seem to like VAT. Maybe we could do one of those.

Yeah they want to raise the sales tax.

We will never have an income tax in Texas because it would require 2/3 of voters to agree.

Unrelated: This is why Menendez beat TMF:

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

Yeah they want to raise the sales tax.

We will never have an income tax in Texas because it would require 2/3 of voters to agree.

Even if they were to raise the sales tax enough to fund education (where most of the hated property tax is going) there would be nothing to stop them from raiding that funding source in the future right? We would just end up either with complete disasters of schools or property tax rates will just go right back up.