Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Nope! And IIRC all of the silver level plans on the TX exchange are lovely high deductable plans which present major obstacles to getting proper care.

I think it's specific to Harris County and Fort Bend but they have a pretty decent silver plan. Community Health Choice is the provider. I was surprised that it was reasonable with low deductibles and low out of pocket totals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Speaking as someone from Sugar Land, yes.

I was going to defend Sugar Land till I saw she went to my high school. God drat it.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I know this starts a long debate every time but what are the alternatives to Uber? When I'm traveling for work it's a life saver. I remember being in NYC standing out in the rain with a ton of translation equipment about 10 years ago and having no luck hailing a cab, when I called to try to get one to my location they said they only would take me to the airport. Sometimes it's not in the budget to have a car service especially when half of the work I'm doing involves non profits. The taxis sucked in New York City, a place known for having a ton of taxis. So any Texas city would benefit from the option of Uber, it's not like public transportation is great in our cities.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Is anyone else experiencing rage from neighbors about property taxes in their areas? It may be just a Fort Bend County thing but people are angry. I understand it's unfair the burden of property taxes are placed on residential compared to commercial properties but in our areas at least the appraisals are still under selling value. This is came up and people are revving up to be heard http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84R/schedules/html/C6322016051009001.HTM

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Automatic Slim posted:

GetMe is getting killed on Twitter because of slow and more expensive pick up times.

Curiously, their CEO is unknown. As in an anonymous entity.

Maybe they will get more drivers during sign ups by the Shell

http://rideshareacademy.com/getme-disaster-austin-tx/

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Morales has a yelp page now? loving sell outs. Funny to see Eagle Pass pop up on here. Texas Monthly once declared it the most corrupt city in Texas. I'm glad all my family ties moved or died and I don't ever have to make that drive again to that hell hole

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

"Toyota" Executive

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Does she actually work for Toyota? I googled that company and it seems like some kind of meta-dealership.

Yeah it's a private company. One of the lines of business is owning a poo poo ton of dealerships as well. I didn't know these companies existed until this past year when I did some work for a competitor of theirs Group One Automotive.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Aliquid posted:

how do two limes fill a 12 oz. cup and why does the original recipe not contain alcohol

He was a little vague but it's a common snow cone flavoring

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

You think Abby Fisher is thinking Simone only got her medal because of Affirmative Action? They both went to the same high school

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

That lines up with my friend who is a SPED teacher at a lower income school in Lamar ISD saying he had a couple of new students a few years who were kicked out from Katy ISD, I told him that sounds like the parents not understanding since that wasn't legal. drat, I guess I was wrong

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

It will be the opposite. Just all the buzz gets people down to vote at the beginning

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Can outside groups book the MSC facilities ? I thought everything there was school affiliated. It's been like 15 years for me but I didn't know that was possible

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

If you never attended the school it's hard to understand the amount of brainwashing they do, it's pretty intense and on top of that you have the former students in your family/extended family telling you from birth how awesome the school is you tend to develop and over inflated sense of importance.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

I mean, wouldn't all the Uber cars be in surge pricing mode anyhow? I hardly ever use Uber.

Surge pricing doesn't last all day. I understand y'all hate Uber's business practices but Texas cities have poo poo public transportation and Uber was a godsend​ for me while travelling for work. I like having one app that works nationwide and I'm not going to try new services that are the flavor of the day for a specific city. I'm working a conference in Houston for food bankers from around the world and a good majority of them will catch Ubers from their hotel to explore the city. That really wasn't an option 5 years ago when I first started working this conference, hell I remember one of them telling me the horror story of them attempting to get around with the Houston metro.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Why not? I don't expect my Cap Metro farecard to work when I visit D.C.

This is the techie equivalent of going on vacation and whining about how the food is different.

Yeah nothing you said makes any sense. When I am DC next week I will use DC Metro along with Uber. Either way it's not all rich tech bros using Uber. I don't know the specifics but why did Uber bail from Austin and not Houston? They worked out a solution with the city of Houston and I am curious why it didn't work out that way in Austin

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Poor kids living in a bubble. Time to make a donation to their young democrats club, if one exists.

This school did a affirmative action bake sale back in 2000 when​ I went to school there. Not really surprising to read this article. If I was smarter I would have chosen a school not filled with these types of dumbasses and gone to school in a real city like UT, hell UH would have been better

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Young conservatives

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I legit thought maybe everyone was making a ton more money than I was till I went and applied for a loan with my wife using our dual income. $500k approval. That scared the poo poo out of us and we decided to stay in our modest house and save the cash for a crash if it ever happens or just wait till our kids are older since our old neighborhood in Southwest Houston is pretty nice.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Wolf brand for hotdogs imho.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/pressure-cooker-chile-con-carne-texas-red-chili-recipe.html

Pour that over some homemade beans and you got a real meal

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

litany of gulps posted:

This is... I don't know what to say here. I know George Clayton. I have worked alongside George Clayton. He's a gay Texas Republican, with all of the baggage and bigotry that you would expect from being in that situation. He's one of the most intelligent and thoughtful people that I know. He is an incredible teacher. I cannot defend his statement here, but I am shocked by this statement that he made. He isn't what you would expect from seeing this single post on Twitter. Obviously he has issues, but all I can say is that I know this man personally and this does not capture his entire character.

Yeah his Twitter is full of dumbass statements not just one. Nothing about him comes off as intelligent.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Are you that girl from my home town that sued UT for not letting her in and somehow got all the way to the Supreme Court? Which later they revealed that her average grades were just average and minorities with better grades than her weren't accepted to UT either.

Or are you the 75 year old lady in my neighborhood screaming about Muslims and then posting on Nextdoor why no one will come do her landscaping for $10 an hour in the middle of July?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I know the area that dude is speaking of and yeah lots of lovely people. Pecan Grove in particular has always been known for old school racist people. Hell a couple of months ago my friends moved in there and a neighbor stopped by saying they were glad they were white and not another black family moving in... what the hell it's 2018.

On the super local civics level mud boards are apparently becoming competitive positions this year with people believing they can solve future flooding problems. I had some friends send me Facebook screencaps and lots of mudslinging

As etsy as this is, I'm partial to this sign https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/kindness-is-everything-signs-promote-love-in-response-to-hate_us_587f9149e4b0c147f0bc1cf1

My colleague put that in his yard in response to lovely neighbors posting blue lives matters signs around him

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 30, 2018

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Pretty weird that colonial America adopted a political culture similar to England and the RGV has one similar to Latin America.

Hot take with Trump tweeting about the pardon.

RGV has nothing on Eagle Pass, it's probably better but that place was corrupt as gently caress back in the day.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yeah median voter is totally Republican. Ignores gerrymandering. Thankfully most of the idiot Cruz/Abbort supporters are dying or being ignored.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

The wineries in Fredericksburg all cater to the whole woo Girls night out crowd. Texas does have good wine but it's hard to find. I know this isn't wine chat thread but if you are in the hill country this place is worth checking out http://www.lacruzdecomalwines.com/about/ Yall may remember the owner's law firm from back in the day. poo poo isn't cheap but the tasting room has some cool rear end art and the owner is chill if he decides to join you. The only making GBS threads thing is you can't really find the wine anywhere but their location and it's all small productions.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

I'm originally from Sugar Land, and I can't say I'm *super* surprised. As FYGM as it is, there's also a huge Asian/ME population there that are probably turned off by this administration and the general direction and tone of the Republican party and its rhetoric.

Also I think it's a majority-minority district anyway, so it should be ripe for plucking away from the Rs.

e: but then I moved away approaching 20 years ago, so I could be talking out of my rear end now

It's gotten pretty awesome in SL lately. I am towards the outer area and my son is the only non Asian in his preschool. I am one of the few not driving a Tesla or other luxury brand car at pick-up. We needed something ridiculous like 2/3 of homes to sign a change in the hoa by-laws to fix up the playground/common areas and it was easily achieved. In the past the old white people blocked all that poo poo.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Just realized I saw the effects of closing one of the DPS offices in Houston. The Rosenberg one has had 6 hour wait times for the past two weeks and for some reason the online waiting feature wasn't available.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

The headline changing on that Fox site is hilarious..."oh poo poo, no one is siding with the cops, change the headline quick!"

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

OK it's early, but Fort loving Bend

I don't think that's different than 2016 is it? It was blue I believe

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Big K of Justice posted:

Can someone explain to me school funding for Texas being a new resident? I noticed the high school up the street is.. um pretty well funded to the point of absurdity. Or any links?

When I went to band in school in Canada.. we had pretty jank equipment and we [my parents] were responsible for transporting us to events and such.

The school up the street got a semi truck with a 53 foot drop frame air ride electronics van complete with custom vinyl wrap around graphics to tote around the bands equipment. That's a pretty expensive combination.

Does that come out of the general education fund? If so.. yikes.. or does it get sourced through fundraisers and donations?

My big issue with education funding is peoples little pet projects getting out of control and you end up spending money on "stupid poo poo" vs having proper books and supplies in a classroom.

Your example is most likely from Band boosters. So no not from a general fund and yes from fundraising by the band and generous donors

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

This poo poo is nuts. I thought that was cloud cover right now and not smoke all the way in Sugar Land.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/fox6now/status/1139540675509280770

Did you know that Texas only has one natural lake? And that Louisiana is stealing half of it!

This is behind my house and dude people are furious. More mad about it on nextdoor than a minority walking around the neighborhood

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

are they mad someone knifed a gator (a good thing to be mad about) or are they mad that a gator exists in a body of water in the south (a dumb thing to be mad about)

Nah gator life is normal here. It's a wildlife preserve in the middle of the burbs. They are demanding answers because if you knife a gator you will murder someone next.

This is same area they found 4 acres of weed. Right next to an airport and 2 miles from police station.

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/sugarland/news/article/Suspect-identified-in-connection-with-10-million-9721603.php

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

zoux posted:

Are Montessori schools legit

The method is great for kids to who need help because their parents are working long hours and they would otherwise be stuck in a city apartment. Do those types of kids go to Montessori schools in the States? No they don't. Does my son need to start his day off with yoga? Hell no but it's closest child care to my house and it's all the same price.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I mean Blue Bell was poisoning people and no one seemed to care?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

https://m.facebook.com/FortBendCountySheriffsOffice/photos/a.137377236121/10157706231951122/?type=3&source=48

I had a nextdoor screenshot but Fort Bend has a Chud Sheriff. Apparently we need to get tough on border security. This is the dude that tried to go after the gently caress Trump bumper sticker. He also has failed upwards if you look at his history

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Don't forget the hosed up budgeting issues when HISD had to send money back to poorer school districts.. kind of hard to fix issues if you don't have the money to plan for the long-term

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

See. If you go to Austin you gotta live with this dude and it sounds like it sucks.

Come to Houston, we are fun.

Oh drat, that made me chuckle.

How many years until San Antonio merges with Austin with the crazy growth in New Braunfels anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

zoux posted:

Is being this willfully dense so you can assume everyone in here is a secret conservative piece of poo poo a gimmick or are you just generally this tedious and self-righteous.

For my good faith friends in the thread, an excellent article on the fight between history and myth in Texas
https://twitter.com/TexasMonthly/status/1174383852141330434

I think this thread inspired me to read up on William B. Travis. They still name schools after that poo poo head