Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Trabisnikof posted:

Once again, they haven't actually passed that bill.

Even moreso than that, they dropped the review of the AP course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

computer parts posted:

Great, now I'm in the mood to go to HEB and buy ice cream.

Late to the Icre Cream party, but HEB carries Texan Tackle Crackle, which is vanilla and chocolate swirl with Krackle pieces, which if you are not aware, is Hershey's answer to Nestle Crunch (chocolate and puffed rice).

It's goddamn divine.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Is it it that hard to drive around Austin that you'd need this in your life?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

:stare:

I don't live in Austin. I just wanted to know about the situation there.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
If you can't buy loteria candles from the same place you're buying tacos, then get out of tx

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
it's being reported that Manziel's lawyer accidentally sent that information to a reporter so I can't imagine how it would be a problem ethically to report it. It's on the lawyer.

I believe I also heard the lawyer threatened to sue about the release of the information but again, if the lawyer released the information accidentally or otherwise, I can't see the AP or whoever received the information initially could be held responsible for anything.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/quinnipiacpoll/status/1050326391093452800

40% of Latinos voting Cruz, Purple Texas is a fairytale

Part of me used to believe the myth of a future purple state because of the increasing minority growth but then we get poo poo like this where almost half of my demographic embraces the conservative hellscape.

Enjoy casting your vote and then being seen as inferior drug-smuggling rapists who leech welfare from white people, you dumb fucks.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Good on JJ, next he needs to convince HEB to bring back their Texans Tackle Crackle!

chinese hair cave posted:

Why do the Mexicans down here in San Antonio love barbacoa and big red

Like they go wild for it. poo poo isn't even that good

Are you the the gator that got knifed? Because that kind of nonsense get knife-gatored

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Did Big Red ever make frozen popsicles? I remember riding my bike to the local gas station as a kid and buying a giant red frozen popsicle, it was was huge too, like a big red bullet.

I think the wrapping was red too, with....blue text too? This was like 25 years ago, so forgive my spotty memory.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

saintonan posted:

I think you're remembering a bomb pop.

I apologize for the foodchat, but just wanted to say that it was not a bomb pop (these are also quite wonderful). It was a large cherry ice popsicle, cylindrical with a round tip. Imagine a Bullet Bill (from Super Mario Bros.) painted red and on a stick.

It was giant and awesome. But again it's been 25 years so my apologies if I'm scrambling things.

e: oh hey, a text av, kewl

vvvvv Sadly, not the bar. It was a smooth cylinder shaped bar with a round tip. I also believe it was sold as a single packaged item in gas stations, I don't recall it being able to be purchased boxed in grocery stores vvvvv

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 17, 2019

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

OK, this has got to stop.

Motherfuckers, you are typing words out. You can spell out 'you all'. Or just say 'everyone' or anything else. No one has to fake a loving dialect for their base or for anything else online. Who the gently caress even says that out loud anymore?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Here I was, thinking I was the best Texan, when all the while I actually worst this whole time.

I'll still never succumb to that terrible slang. That is my hill I will die on.

vvvvv Richmond, TX, I swear! vvvvv

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 10, 2019

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Sab0921 posted:

Coronavirus is here. New case in Sugarland

Where are you seeing it's in Sugar Land? I'm seeing a presumptive confirmed case in Fort Bend county but nothing specific beyond that.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
The funeral for my cousin's husband (unrelated to virus) was just announced for tomorrow afternoon. My mom already said she isn't going, and while I am going, I'm isolating myself from everyone as much as I possibly can. It is going to be a lot of older/elderly relatives there.

Honestly this should have been a small, private immediate family event. poo poo like this is tricky, you want to pay respects to the man and his family, but this is the exact scenario that puts people into a bad gathering situation.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I'm a 35 yr old Hispanic and I still don't know what differentiates tex-mex and Mexican food.

Just give me some good carne guisada and rice, tamales, fajitas, enchiladas, etc, and I'll be a happy fat gently caress.

e: and bathe me in menudo

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
gently caress that bullshit noise about beds and ventilators, it's ignoring the the immediate problem of exposure and spread that hospitals are facing.

We were just updated that we are now at a unsustainable rate of PPE usage. Our distributor was, and continues to be, unable to keep up with the demand of disposable wipes, masks, shoe/boot covers, and as of the last two days, isolation gowns.

Speaking of beds, our two ICUs are almost at combined max capacity, we've already converted two floors to COVID patients only, and this week will determine if we are going to convert the post-op recovery area into another isolated COVID unit, which will probably happen since projections are exemplifying surges in cases.

gently caress Abbott and his people for blowing smoke up people's asses about this.

(That is not to say the overall availabilty of beds and machines is a bad thing of course, again, it's glossing over serious concerns)

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Hospital update southwest of Houston --

The totality of the supply situation is staggering, it's really hitting me how bad it is now. The hospital has been sending out emails warning everyone that supplies are limited, but now it's straight up telling us that PPE usage has and is unsustainable.

As I said before, I work in our supply chain, so I see this firsthand. Based on what I deliver daily, if we don't find another source, we probably have only four days worth of isolation gowns for our ICUs and Emergency depts only, not including the floors set up to house COVID patients.

That is on top of having to take supplies from the OR dept, as we don't have any stock of germicidal wipes, shoe/boot bovers, and surgeon's caps. We've already used our allocated supplies for the month and it's only the 15th.

I'm not sure what the hospital intends to do with its employees once the sum total of supplies are consumed before we get more supplies; a co-worker's wife works at a different hospital that offered a 25% temporary raise to nurses who would work without the necessary PPE and sign a waiver waiving any/all liability on behalf of the hospital, but she said no. I'm wondering if we're looking at the same thing here.

We pale in comparison to the poo poo NY hospitals are going through and it's still this chaotic, jesus loving christ.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

zoux posted:

What % of your beds are covid patients

I do not know the exact number, but I do know one of our ICU's, which I think is 22 beds, is consistently at max capacity with COVID patients, with the second ICU also containing positive patients, although I don't know the number there. We've converted two floors in a separate wing for positive patients as well, each holding 20-25 beds, with the third floor opening this past Monday for more as the hospital is/was expecting a surge in positive patients. I can't confirm capacity numbers, but most rooms are occupied as far as I can tell.

I deliver to the Emergency department as well on graveyard shift, and even at that time I see suspected patients transferred nightly from there to the COVID wings.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Hmm, what is going to be one thing I need to complete my picture of myself with my armaments?

*sees bow-tie*

:discourse:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Just a reminder to everyone, and let me start this by saying that this is my own experience at the hospital I work at so I don't know if other hospitals are following the same plan (I'm sure they are though, as this has to be distributor-based), but we are currently receiving ALL our major PPE supplies on monthly allocation base. If we use our supplies before the next month, and if we don't have a alternate source of supply, tough poo poo!

Before we restricted the supplies to call-down requests, we used a standard month's worth of N95 masks in 10 days (in March). Now we don't stock ANY masks or gowns in standard supply rooms, as I said they are by request only and each delivery is recorded and noted by our Director who delivers daily supply notes to his superior to keep track of total supply use at every hospital within our network. Bouffant/surgeon caps and shoe/boot covers are issued out one box per floor, again, normally each supply room is stocked with them.

Cleaning supplies are a whole other subject. Lysol? I haven't seen a single can of that since March. Alchol-based wipes and germicidal bleach wipes? We get calls from the ICUs and the ER (ER stocks EIGHTEEN bottles of total wipes on the daily) regularly for 5 to 6 bottles a call -- we can deliver ONE bottle IF we are lucky to have a couple on a shelf to last a day.

This was before the easing of restrictions last Friday.

Buckle up boys and girls!

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 5, 2020

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Hey guys, did you hear about the 25yr old black guy killed like a loving dog by two white piece of shits for jogging while black in Georgia? And the murder itself was recorded on video, and even with that video evidence the original DA didn't want to prosecute the two white guys?

Oh wait, what am I saying, white people down here in TX got real concerns like UNJUST prosecutions of white ladies over their PRECIOUS SALONS. White Texans go it so rough :(

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

hatty posted:

Maybe I should go out and be a shithead so I can get mad stacks of cash.

Are you white? That's important to this grift.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Our hospital this past week just had to reopen the 2nd COVID only floor as it's experienced a continuous surge of confirmed cases. This is on top of sheer amount of elective surgeries and the constant traffic now moving through our Emergency Dept., so poo poo is going to get crazier the more this continues.

As far as I can tell, the hospital is prepped for a second wave but no confirmation about repeating a shutdown. I don't think any hospital in TX can handle another complete shutdown. I guess we'll see.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
First hand info from working in the Supply Chain dept at a hosptial southwest of Houston:

We are SLAMMED right now. Past two weeks Emergency dept. was continually increasing in traffic, and now in my shift (3rd aka graveyard) the dept. is either near max capacity or at max (yesterday was the first day in a long time I saw patient overflow in the dept. hallways).

We have two ICUs, long term and post surgery. Both are either near or at max capacity. Haven't seen it like that in a long time. I honestly don't know how they are managing patient flow at the moment.

Patient floors are split into three floors, each floor split into three wings. When the pandemic was originally hitting, at its height each floor converted one wing each into COVID only wings. Eventually one floor's wing stayed COVID only while the others converted back. In the past two weeks, the other two wings have been converted back into COVID only to handle the influx of confirmed cases.

As my dept. handles all the supply rooms, we are responsible for not only stocking them daily, but for setting up new rooms. The Postpartum floor is currently having a section renovated with additional patient rooms, and we're responsible for setting up two new supply rooms for that floor. We were just told that the plans for our supply rooms have accelerated, and while we couldn't confirm it, it seems like the accelerated demand is due to wanting emergency available rooms for non-COVID patient overflow.

Again, I'm not in a dept. that is directly responsible for patient care, but as we supply all dept. on all floors, we see how the hospital flows. ICUs are slammed. Emergency is slammed. Elective surgeries are up. Cardiac dept. operations are up. Labor/Deliveries are up. Postpartum occupation is up.

I cannot stress this enough -- ABBOTT IS A loving IDIOT. I'm not a high-level hospital executive. I'm a cog in the machine there and I see the obvious, the hands-off approach is not working, and the fact that Abbott and the general population have embraced what is a mix of ignorance, incompetence, and outright pride in republican/conservative stupidity toward this is loving sickening.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Are people in TX back to taking this at all seriously yet?

No.

Generally masks are still seen as GOVERNMENT OPPRESSION, and the governor of this state still waves the flag of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY, whatever mask mandate that is passed is toothless.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

FBS posted:

I went on a motorcycle ride earlier and there were tons of packed restaurant parking lots

Yeah, people are so goddamned stupid, it's like they think that Abbott has a magic machine that when he turns the Restaurant Occupy dial up from 25% to 50% to 75%, that automatically lowers the infection rate.

What a loving failed experiment, humanity was.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

ReindeerF posted:

I have to say, no one around here seems put off by me wearing a mask indoors. Even in the klanniest Dollar General in some place like Santa Fe people just kind of move out of the way a bit more.

Yeah, while he lack of masks is a ever growing problem in my area, there hasn't actually been any issue I've witnessed or experienced with people getting offended/upset by me/others wearing masks.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
^^^^^ Shultz in Rosenburg, TX serves chili that is just pure meat. They don't even have bowls or cups for it, they serve it in the same styrofoam cups used for sodas. Get you a pack of crackers, and it's great ^^^^^

Just came back from my Sugar Land HEB and mostly everyone was masked up, and also social distancing, keeping decent spacing. Shopping carts were still being separated into used and cleaned spaces.

Democratic Pirate posted:

HEB in San Antonio had majority mask usage yesterday, outside of the two couples dressed like they had a power lunch at the country club and strutting around like being maskless was a grand statement.

Given that HEB confirmed multiple confirmed COVID cases among their employees across stores in San Antonio and Austin, have you noticed if they increased their protection/restrictions?

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 22, 2020

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I want to thank Abbott and generally all conservatives/idiots who embraced the state lifting shutdown restrictions, you're giving our hospital so much business right now, they were hoping to be in the black by the end of the year, and now it will definitely happen before that, so I'm gonna be getting some phat overtime out of this.

I know that seems terrible to say, but seeing Abbott say 'More data seems to say masks are good' now is just so....I don't know anymore. I mean, it sucks for anyone who wasn't a dumbass throughout all this, but at this point I've accepted that many, many more ignorant, loving stupid people live in this state than rational ones. Helps take the sting out of waking up everyday, I suppose.

Good luck to everyone out there that doesn't have their head up their own rear end.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Well, poo poo.

(From Sugar Land, TX)

Just found out my brother's family is now in quarantine. My 15yr old niece went to a softball conditioning camp for her school's team, and another girl's mom, who apparently was fully aware that her daughter interacted with a covid positive family member, still let her daughter attend the camp as well. The school later notified the parents of the entire team of the situation, and everyone who attended the camp is now under quarantine.

They've all been tested, and are waiting for results. My oldest nephew, 22, has already tested negative; my sister in law sound like she is showing flu-like symptoms, my younger nephew, 16,was having headaches, and my niece was having hot flashes of the sort and some stomach aches. Nothing more serious than those symptoms thankfully.

From what I've been told at the hospital I work at, covid positive patients that can quarantine at home are given meds and told to ride it out for two weeks until symptoms clear, so I assume even if their result come back positive, they'll just have to stay home still and basically let the disease exhaust itself?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

drunk mutt posted:

Edit: I don't know how to forum

Just needed to imgtag the actual image

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Does anyone have the daily confirmed cases for today?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

LegendaryFrog posted:

I just moved to Texas a couple of weeks ago (TX-03)... from Phoenix, Arizona. The thread title rings true, I have never felt as moist outside.

On the political front, after spending a decade working to turn Arizona from Red to Blueish Purple, I am eager to have another go at it here in Texas.

I hope you're glutton for punishment, I mean I'm cheering you on, but prepare yourself for pushing that progressive rock up that mountain only to see it roll back into a red TX pit.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Re: declining hospitalizations

<--- (working at a hospital southwest of Houston)

I can attest that we have seen a decline of COVID cases here as well, in fact it's somewhat dramatic the reduction of cases. Specifically, The reduction of three patient floors housing numbers of cases to one floor being COVID only; the spillover temporary ICU area being shut down (although the area is still set up in case the hospital sees another spike).

We've also been told that across the state, our hospital system has seen at least 200+ less cases over time, although I cannot say what the current total cases are right now.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

i say swears online posted:

attempting to tie this back to texas, i tried to look up the menu for the Texas Embassy restaurant in london but they closed a few years ago

in consolation someone recommended "wahaca" and this is the menu

What the gently caress is this

I mean, a mushroom and cheese taco does sound good, but...I can't wrap my brain around this. It's like when I first saw a Pizza Hut Japan's menu.

Now I feel the urge to counter-balance whatever this is with some lengua and barbacoa tacos from a taqueria.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
JJ Watt's Texan Tackle Crackle at HEB was my loving crack. So good.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Sab0921 posted:

The GOP has appointed 14 of the last 18 SCOTUS justices and Roe and Casey are still here.

It isn't going anywhere, and the GOP doesn't want it to - it is too valuable for their electoral strategies.

I want to keep this, enshrine this so that next year we can see:

Sab0921 posted:

I am shocked, utterly shocked Roe v Wade was struck down, how did this happen?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

#BACKTHEBLUE

Won't someone please think of the poor Sheriffs and County Attorneys?!

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Hey thread, goon here SW of Houston here, checking in about COVID:

The hospital I work I receives a weekly update on how our entire hospital chain (here, Katy, Houston, Baytown, Clear Lake, etc) is handling things, so this week the update clearly spelled it out -- our total confirmed COVID cases has risen back to levels similar to where they were near the first surge of the virus.

The difference now being that there are protocols and plans in place to handle increased cases but still, they are not taking any chances and fully recognize the obvious increase in cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Dameius posted:

Confirmed cases or presumptive cases? When my wife and I were in hospital in September for delivery the staff was talking about how going into flu season anything flu like was going to be treated like presumptive COVID until proven otherwise which would really up the stress on the system.

Confirmed cases; any and all data related to COVID cases is strictly regulated and updated (patient intake, type of care, length of stay, patient and employee use of PPE gear, etc).

We are doing the same like you said since we're coming into the fall and entering flu season but the data itself is specific and current because the hospital system is ready to act on any changes of the data.