Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I hate Perry as much as the next guy, but I feel that "I'm going to defund the PUBLIC INTEGRITY Unit, if the PUBLIC INTEGRITY Unit is still lead by THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY WHO JUST GOT OUT OF A 20 DAY JAIL SENTENCE FOR DUI.", is a pretty defensible position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Xibanya posted:

I remember starting ninth grade in the fall of 2003. The war was on and in full swing. I was never in a habit of saying the pledge (why the gently caress should I promise loyalty to Texas? I get that I have some sweet benefits from being a U.S. citizen, but what has Texas ever done for me?) so I would sit down during the Texas pledge but everyone was freaked out about terrorists and my non pledge-saying ways became conspicuous. I was always known as a weirdo whose only friends were Latinos before but this somehow got rolled into school-shooter paranoia and once after the daily PA announcements (which included both pledges) the teacher - who liked me - took me out to the hallway and said that they got an email telling them to be on the lookout for loner weird kids to prevent a tragedy from happening and that by not saying the pledge I was painting myself as a potential danger to the school so I had to say the pledge or someone would probably report me as being a potential Harris/Klebold. I started to argue but he told me that if I didn't like it I should take it up with the principal. Being the smart rear end I was when I went back inside the classroom I loudly demanded to be sent to the principal - so I was. The principal then lectured me about how people died for my freedom so if I don't say the Texas pledge I'm disrespecting their memory. I pointed out that non-Texans also died for my freedom and I didn't have to pledge my allegiance to Ohio or something but then he said that if I don't go through all the motions I'll be scaring people so I should just stick my hand out and mouth the words if I hate saying the Texas pledge so much. I did that to avoid further trouble but I hated every moment of it.

This past December I went to see one of my brother's graduate from A&M. During the Texas pledge I sat down and some Aggies in the seats near me have me the stink eye. Felt good man. The Texas pledge can go to hell.

This is so weird to me. I grew up in Dallas, and Austin. I went to public schools both places. I went to college is Dallas. I was never forced to do a Texas Pledge, and until this discussion, I literally did not know that such a pledge existed.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

thefncrow posted:

The real question might be: when did you attend school? I never saw that garbage in college either, but it definitely existed in high school. However, there was a significant difference in frequency pre- and post-9/11. Before 9/11, they might do pledges 2-3 times a year. After 9/11, it became more like 2-3 times a week.

I watched the second tower get hit live on the TV in my 10th grade geometry class. So graduating class of '03 in Farmers Branch, the suburb of Dallas. I guess if it became mandatory for the fall semester of '03, that would explain it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I hope her spokesman is better at lobbying than he is at making BBQ.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

ReidRansom posted:

I have my doubts even a supermajority republican senate would confirm Cruz at this point.

Wouldn't matter. The Republicans despise him too. The quote from Lindsey Graham was ""If you killed Ted Cruz on the floor of the Senate, and the trial was in the Senate, nobody would convict you".

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
No, it's like the difference between stepping in a big pile of poo poo, and being dropped into a giant tractor trailer full of poo poo and drowning in it while desperately screaming for help and trying to claw your way out.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
So I was all ready to be like "Jesus loving christ shut up about how much you pay for electricity. Nobody loving cares", but then it made me curious so I went and checked how much I was paying.

I somehow I hosed myself over 8 years ago and agreed to 13 cents per kw and have been paying that since. Called up and bitched, and now I will be paying on average 8.2 cents per kh. So, thanks for saving me about $75 per month Goons!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
At least we now know that he has completely abandoned his presidential pipe dream.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
If Texas goes blue, even by the barest margin, and even if only for this election, I will be so conflicted. Will I have to take back all of the complaining about the deluge of Californians moving here?

Edit: Is California trying to Prima Nocta Texas?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Voted at 2pm this afternoon in Pflugerville at the tax office and the line was around the building. About 90 minutes from parking to driving off. There were only like 4 old white guys that I could see, but I was sandwiched between two of them. One of them spent nearly half an hour ranting about private schools having tax exemption on their land, but then railed about entitlement culture.

I don't know wtf.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Also, I live in Pflugerville. My address reads Pflugerville, 78660. But for some reason I don't get to vote for Pflugerville mayor, or any local seats. I don't get any Austin ones either. Am I in some weird DMZ between Austin and Pflugerville?

I am on the very southwest side, at 35 and 1825.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
While I would love to see Texas swing blue, and am excited by the record-breaking voter turnout, the straight ticket D votes make me a little sad. There are actually some great moderate Republican judges up against inexperienced, or just bad, Dem opposition and I hope they don't end up getting ousted.

Edit for those interested:

Supreme court: Deborah Lehrmann and Eva Guzman

Court of Criminal Appeals: Mary Lou Keel and Mike Keasler

All solid, smart judges.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

MariusLecter posted:

Is Aster's any good?

Aster's is quite good. Taste of Ethiopia is amazing though. It's been one of my favorite places for years. I haven't been to the South Congress location since it opened, but it looks to be just as good as the original location in Pflugerville. As much as I dislike Yelp, a loving tiny Ethiopian food place is Pflugerville loving Texas, made their top 100 in the US list, which finally got me to go out there, and it was definitely worth it.

The owner is also one of the nicest people I have ever met. She moved from Ethiopia to Texas a while back, and opened up the place cooking her family recipes. She has been there every time I have ever gone, and she talks to every table unless she can tell they just want to chill without being bothered. We went the night that Yelp top 100 list came out, and she had no idea. I showed her the list on my phone and she started bawling and laughing at the same time, barely coherently mumbling about just wanting to make people happy.

Messir Wot and Doro Wot are both awesome, but the Lamb Tibbs is easily one of my top 3 favorite things that I have ever eaten. Seriously, go to this place.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
When they go out of business, it would be really considerate of them to use their final issue to point people interested in BBQ information to the Austin thread on the Something Awful forums. BBQ is pretty much all we talk about, and we rehash the same arguments every month or so.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

corn in the bible posted:

Lol if you get BBQ in Austin instead of several superior non Austin bbqs

Oh JFC what have I done?

The Austin thread is the default thread for Central Texas, the cradle of BBQ in Texas. There are some tremendously good BBQ joints all over the state, but between Lockhart, Austin, Elgin, etc... It's the home of the highest concentration of great BBQ, with most of the legendary places in Texas residing in Lockhart.

Even if you were taking my statement as narrowly as possible and were limiting my BBQ options to within Austin city limits, laugh all you want while I eat the undisputed, definitive, unquestionably best brisket in Texas (and therefore probably the world?).

poemdexter posted:

They already have a spinoff site dedicated to BBQ. http://www.tmbbq.com/

It was obviously a joke, but my assumption would be that in this scenario, tmbbq would be dragged into bankruptcy along with Texas Monthly proper.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I just found out that Texas Rep Pete Sessions introduced "World's Greatest Helathcare Plan Act of 2017".

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Oh thank god, we can all rest easy. HB 3535 passed. It is now legal to hunt wild boar with a long rifle while riding in a hot air balloon.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Badger of Basra posted:

Luckily we're going to solve our traffic problems by spending $600 million to make the roads nicer

Specifically the sidewalks and some medians. The actual roads themselves are the tertiary priority.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
New York City?!?!?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
What a gorgeous building. Rooftop butterfly garden is also great. But, like... Why spend so much money on the most obsolete type of building imaginable?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

Libraries aren't obsolete they're just changing. Libraries do more than lend books, they let people access computers and the internet, lend multimedia and provide a space for community engagement like children reading services. This new library will have 3D printers, computerized sowing machines and other tools to share. Knowing Austin I bet a few startups end up officing out of it to save costs.

Also the land was previously an old water treatment plant smack dab in the middle of downtown so it's a better use anyway.

All good things. I am stoked for this then. Maybe I just want us to have a better word than "Library" to encompass those. Library to me means a place that lends books, and dedicating pretty much any money to the purchase and maintenance of physical (non-historically-significant) books is a waste of money to me.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Voted early yesterday afternoon up in Pflugerville. Only two other people there.

1. A mostly bald, late 50's white guy wearing boots, khakis, brand new looking tucked in polo shirt and an empty hip holster.

2. George R. R. Martin's doppleganger, wearing a long-sleeved tie-dyed shirt, matching tie-dyed shorts, no shoes.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Badger of Basra posted:

Is SA Current the alt weekly for San Antonio? What the gently caress is this

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/975030624443617280

I loving wish Steve Adler had sent Amazon a letter saying "lol, no"

Is it still an inferiority complex if they are actually inferior?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It sounds like you don't know the man, only the man he is pretending to be. As soon as he is given a platform to express himself where he isn't subject to the social conditioning of not saying heinous poo poo in front of others, this is how he uses it. That should tell you something.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Lote posted:

HouAustin can keep Waco. Dallas would get Tyler and Texarkana so it’s a wash.

Can Dallas be friends with San Antonio? I would rather have a Dallas / SA pair than Dallas Austin at this point.

Houston doesn't deserve top billing in that pair. I propose just going with Auston.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The money that they save on doors in new schools will more than pay for everything. In fact, with the expected savings, might as well go ahead and cut some taxes.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Oh poo poo! We didn't think of the poor door makers and construction folks installing those doors. We'll give them a big tax cut to make up for their lost business. That tax cut will be bigger than the money that we saved on the doors in the first place, so we'll be back to being in debt. The only way we can save ourselves is to cut taxes for ALL businesses, and the ensuing economic growth will make up for all of it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The wife and I went to Fredericksburg for a weekend a few years ago. We stayed in the middle of "downtown" and there was a really nice wine/cigar bar across the street from where we were staying. The French owner was working the bar, and when we asked for some local wine, he said "I won't do that to you" and refused to give us anything from the area. It was awesome.

We were so confused by why a French person would move to the middle of a self-proclaimed "wine country", if he hates the wine. Kudos for the principles though!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Like, I know reality doesn't matter at all anymore, but "Tough as Texas"? Has anyone EVER thought of putting "Ted Cruz" and "Tough" in the same sentence before?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

sexpig by night posted:

I dunno, McLovin should be pretty careful there considering the easiest rebuttal to that optic is 'you mean you 'oversaw' the operation where you got told where a dude was by the Pakistanis, used a huge team to breach a house, somehow lost a helicopter despite no anti-air issues, and then went on to grumble about how the Pakistanis are terrorist loving dicks for only doing MOST of your work for you?'

Trump's base would not care about any of this, even if they had the attention span to follow it. I dunno... If there is literally one person/group they would stand by more than Trump, it's gotta be OUR BOYS THAT GOT BIN LADEN!!!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Spiritus Nox posted:

So...is the gun thing still Lupe's fault?

Not directly. For 14 years up until that very moment though, she was the one ultimately responsible for making the Dallas sheriff's department competent and well-run. It was a ridiculously dumb error on the part of the sheriff's department Property room, so....

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Marxalot posted:

e: Doesn't "partner" in a lawyer bullshit context imply significant part ownership in the company? Sounds like upper management to me.

It used to, and for really small firms, probably still does to some extent. For medium-big firms "partner" is more just a tier that implies expertise to clients, and allows for a sense of mobility for the attorneys. AZA has 50ish total attorneys, 5 being named partners, and 3 "star partners". Fletcher is not in that top 8, so chances of her having any oversight at a high level for all casework is pretty much zero. She's likely just effectively an employee with a fancy title and bonus structure.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I'll start of by saying that I am a big Beto fan. I've gone to 5 organized events here in Austin, done one phone bank and one block walk for him here. That being said, dude is not going to win. Texas republicans loving show up and vote. He will not win, but getting close accomplishes a lot. It makes Cruz look really, really bad to have such a close race in TEXAS. It draws money from republican races elsewhere. It shows the democratic leadership that fielding real candidates, and spending money here might actually not be a complete lost cause in the future.

loving get out and vote in November. Beto has come out of nowhere as far as name recognition to most of the state, and he has come out STRONG. Every vote sends a message.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
This is taking place on CNN. If there is really anyone still on the fence about voting for Cruz or Beto, they are not CNN watchers. I think Cruz showing up or not would probably be a wash as far as motivating voters. On the one hand, giving Beto an hour to be inspirational is bad for Cruz. On the other hand, Cruz being on stage and talking in public is probably bad for Cruz.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Covering all US/Mexico border fencing with signs would have been so much better.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Ghetto Prince posted:

gently caress you for giving me hope

I'll bring you back down.

Beto is not going to win. It will be miraculous if he loses by less than 5, but even if he does the Democratic institutions in Texas and across the country will just say "If an incredibly charismatic, well-funded, attractive young white guy during a BLUE WAVE can't beat the most hated, unaccomplished, unlikable, feckless coward of a republican alive today, Texas is a lost cause and we should definitely not try to build on any momentum that Beto generated."

Feel worse better?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

Complaining that a BBQ place sucks because they were out of the meat you wanted when you went at 8PM is a better tell IMO.

Add in having the first reason you love a place being their great sauce, and you have the trifecta.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1063130578436964353

Bad Bill

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1063126285327761408

Good Bill

Perry's an ultracon who carried the sanctuary cities bill last session, so my first instinct is that it's somehow intended to promote some atavistic puritan bullshit, but from my quick glance at the language it seems like a pretty straightforward attempt to create a legal penalty for groping. WE SHALL SEE

Sounds like an attempt to drastically reduce the penalty for the behavior. Currently would just count as assault/sexual assault wouldn't it? Giving groping it's own categorization as a misdemeanor instead...?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
You're in the Texas thread, so I assume you are talking about Texas chili, which doesn't have tomatoes in it, so... Yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

Hopefully Beto announces for U.S. senator from Texas tonight.

Marxalot posted:

This. We could use another non-psychopath politician in Texas more than we can use yet another centrist dem attempting to self-own by running for president.

I say this as someone who blockwalked for Beto, phonebanked for Beto, and was incredibly happy with how well he performed:

Is there a reason to believe that Beto has a snowball's chance in hell of beating Cornyn? Ted Cruz is absolutely hated, is a known lizard person, and super ulikable, yet Beto still didn't win. Is there something I don't know that would mean that Beto would have any shot against semi-charismatic milquetoast Cornyn?