Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Welcome to my 2nd attempt at running the Jewel of Yavin adventure module. The OOC thread can be found right over here

The Crew:
Kloaked00 as Orell Retwin the Human Thief
Elendil004 as K`rak Tar the Klatooian Mercenary Soldier
RandallODim as Sen Jevrik the Human Doctor
Doctor Epitaph as Thobi Fenn the Human Slicer
Spincut as Khaleth Starstarer the Human Scholar
Viscardus as Vyzari Vynn the Twi'lek Scoundrel
nothing to seehere as Nachkt the Trandoshan Marauder
Lord Koth as Davin Thul the Human Gadgeteer

The Mission:
OPENING CRAWL

For various reasons, you all have gathered on Cloud City to undertake a perilous heist of a prize most valuable...a corusca gem forged in the heart of the gas giant Yavin. Your contact, a Pantoran woman named Aris Shen, has clandestinely invited you all, on behalf of herself and her brother Arend, to join her for lunch at a small food court in Market Row in the Port Town district of Cloud City.

You are gathered around a cluster of cheap tables laden with various food and beverage in a passable imitation of a group of acquaintances who just happened to run into each other while out shopping. With postures and gestures more suited to airy talk of frivolity, Shen outlines the job she has for you.

"Alright ladies and gentlebeings, here's the game. The Jewel of Yavin is here, on Cloud City, to be auctioned off to the highest bidder in three days time. I'd much rather put it to more personal use." She grins and pantomimes examining herself in a mirror, "And my brother has a plan to get pretty filthy rich off the deal as well. We want to accomplish a double theft. The plan is infiltrate the auction itself and manipulate the final selling price to be as high as possible as well as redirecting the winning bid to our own accounts. While that occurs, we also want you to nab the jewel itself before it ever enters the hands of the winner." Shen leans back and stretches, apparantly supremly unconcerned with the highly illegal nature of the plan she has just divulged. "Now...what all do you need to know? I don't have all the answers, if I did my brother and I wouldn't be subcontracting, but I can give you whatever intel I have."

Alrighty, here we are starting a grand adventure on Cloud City! This is your chance to grill Shen for info before beginning the heist proper. She's perfectly cooperative and willing to help, so unless I specifically call for it, no need to make any rolls to get information out of her. This is just a straight Q&A session....for now.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Whoops, didn't mean to put this in Trad Games proper rather than Game Room. Winson has been PMed, this should be moved and out of your hair soon!

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Orell Retwin

"Alright Ms Shen, you want to pull a double-cross, that's your prerogative. For what it's worth, I don't recommend it, just leads to more complications down the line.

What's the timeframe we're dealing with to steal the jewel itself? It sounds like it will be on display during the auction, then presumably held somewhere secure until the money changes hands. Where is the jewel going to be held during that time, what's the security like and who has access to it during that time?"

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

K`rak Tar

Food Court, Market Row, Cloud City, Bespin

K'rak leans with his back against a nearby caf machine. He listens to Shen's pitch then interjects, "Look, we're all keen to make a few credits, that's clear, but we don't want the whole rim coming down on us. You want us to not only steal the jewel, which is sure to set law enforcement and bounty hunters on us, but you also want us to steal the money paid for the gem, AFTER jacking up the price. Whoever the high bidder is, they're surely going to come after us. Do you have a plan for that?" He pauses a moment, then continues, "Who's your brother? I don't have a habit of working for someone I don't meet face to face, kind of want to be sure they have some skin in the game, if you know what I mean."

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Nachkt

The mountain of Trandoshan muscle stands directly in the centre of the groups and stares over Shen as he talks. "First question I have, and one with the most vital answer. What's the pay? If you cant give numbers now, how are we cutting the profits? This certainly sounds like a lucrative opportunity for you and your brother, but with the risks involved it needs to be equally lucrative for me to paint such a large target on my back."|

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Shen nods approvingly "Gods its good to work with professionals...last time we hired on a group of merc thieves, they blundered into a crime lord's pleasure den completely unprepared and were, well, torn apart by a gundark."

She looks around the table and addressed Retwin, "The auction occurs in 3 days; you'll need to nab the jewel after it is shown to prospective buys at the opened of the gala, but before the winner comes to collect it. The auction itself should last for around 5 standard hours and I believe the jewel will be one of the last things up for bidding. The gem is behind held at the Figg & Associates Art Museum. It has a vault of some measure, but they're not equipped to hold something of this value. As for security...well, that's where you'll have to do your own independent research. We haven't had time here on Cloud City to properly case the scene."

Turning next to K'rak Tar, she folds her hands and addressed the Klatooian; "My brother Arend is very much involved in this process; at the moment he's maintaining our front as perfectly respectable citizens. His stake in this is that the Imperial bureaucrat who's the technical owner of the Jewel had some....dealings with our family a decade ago. I've mostly learned to let it go, but Arend tends to hold grudges. He wants to stick Grayson right where it hurts. If you'd like to meet Arend, I'd be more than happy to arrange a meeting. As for reprisals...cover your tracks well enough and nobody will ever be able to know it was you."

Finally, Shen turned to Nachkt and took his questions "We'll split whatever the winning bid for the gem between all of you, myself, and Arend. That said, Arend could probably be convinced to throw his share into the communal pot for the rest of you if you get him the Jewel in a timely manner. The Jewel is already projected to sell for at least 112,000 credits but your final cut will depend on how high you can drive the bidding."

Shen casts a glance around the food court and turns back to the group. "We should probably wrap this up...any other questions?"

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Davin Thul

Well, even on first impression his respect for the Klatooian had already risen somewhat, given his rather pertinent questions. Still, they'd gotten the basics now so it was time to do something about it.

Finishing off some passable imitations of Traladon ribs, he took a moment to clean up before addressing their hostess. "I have no particular questions for the moment, given we'll need to reconnoiter the situation and places of interest before deciding any plans, though I'd assume you prefer us to avoid a much collateral damage as possible? However we do need information to be able to contact you or arrange meetings in the future." Reaching for his datapad, before remembering it had been in his now squashed ship, he scowled and getting out some flimsi.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Aris grinned wryly. "Yeah, I'd prefer you not blow up half of Cloud City to pull this off...but I won't lose too much sleep over a bit of minor property damage." She took the flimsi and scrawled a comlink frequency on it. "That's my personal com, so try not to need anything at 0400 when all good little boys and girls are asleep; but don't hesitate to call if there's an emergency. The line should be secure."

She looks around her a bit more urgently and moves to rise from the table. "Last call, I'm starting to feel some heat so I want to scatter before....well, before too long."

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Thobi Fenn

Thobi had been trying to play it cool before the meeting. You got this, man. Why else would they call on you? The youth had worked alone and in the shadows, though; he had no idea what to expect. All his fears were proven right when he saw the crew that had assembled. The Maker, these are ACTUAL criminals! he thought to himself as he felt warmth rush into his face and sweat form in his palms. All it would take is one solid look from any one of these thugs to see him as the kid he was.

As Shen begins answering questions, Thobi gulped and began to wrack his brain for something useful, something that would make him look smart in front of these guys. The anxiety quickly filled his thoughts, pushing anything useful aside. Instead, he just nodded when they talked about the pay, and about the independent recon.

"I'll, uh, I'll look into security. Poke around their servers. Surely they'll have some transport docs, patrol schedules, that sorta thing."

Feeling a little embarrassed about blurting that out, Thobi will pull out his datapad and starts searching the Holonet for some information, letting any conversation continue around him. He's mainly looking for some basic info and leads, things he could just ask Aris, but doesn't want to look a fool. He wants the physical address of the building the auction is taking place, the name of the seller (and anything a search runs up on them), and any other parties hosting the auction.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

K`rak Tar

"Thobi, if you're gonna have a crack at their servers, why not do it from the guys we're trying to frame's system, so from the start, all routes track back to them and not us."

As Shen rises, K'rak scowls, "What are you so jumpy for? This better not be more than meets the eye, because if we go down, you're going down with us, and your brother..."

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Khaleth Starstarer

Khaleth had been quietly taking in the meeting. He barely knew anyone else on his team, and although a few of them seemed genial enough, he knew better than to get in their way when the professionals were talking.

He scrawled some notes as the meeting went on. What's the jewel to Shen? Khaleth wondered. Sure, it's rare, and it's gigantic, but perhaps there is something more to it that she isn't divulging. He took a mental note to do some research into the jewel itself once the meeting had concluded, which seemed to be soon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Aris arched an eyebrow. "I can almost guarantee you that there's more than meets the eye here...but unfortunately I can't even begin to speculate what. I may be young, but I've been in the business long enough to know that no heist goes exactly as planned." She looked around the table at the group, "I've given you all I realistically can, if you have more questions, com me. Just be cautious...while I have no reason to believe Grayson fears for the Jewel's safety keep in mind he is an Imperial; he could bring a lot of heat down on Bespin if he wanted to. And if Arend and I have hatched a plan to steal the jewel its very possible, and downright likely, that others have as well." With that, she deposited her food residue in an approved container and sauntered away without a backwards glance.

And here we enter the investigative phase of the heist! With the size of the group, it would be very easy to split up and accomplish various tasks; including but not limited to, casing the museum, gathering data on the auction itself (potential bidders, how to gain access to the sale, etc), and anything else you merry band of reprobates come up with.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Sen Jevrik

Watching their employer go, Sen pushes her seat back and stands, her food largely untouched. "Well, I'm certainly unconvinced we're not going to be stabbed in the back." She stretches, and looks down the table. "But since we're all still here, I guess we're all okay with that risk. And since we all still want to get paid, we should probably get to work. I've got a feeling getting into that auction's going to be harder than Miss Shen thinks. Some of us should poke around for a means to get someone on the bidding floor. We could perhaps just appropriate someone else's spot, of course. Some research into what the Shen's stake in all this might not be a bad idea either, if we want to know what we're dealing with."

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

K`rak Tar

"I've been guarding things my whole life, got lots of leadership under my belt, I wonder if we could arrange to get me on the guard staff...Arrange an accident of some sort for the current foreman and use me as the best alternative? Having someone on the inside might be real useful..."

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Vyzari Vynn

Vy had stayed quiet while the Pantoran woman had been answering questions. Her instincts never quite cared for the idea of throwing herself into large conversations; draw attention to yourself only in situations you can control, they said, not large, chaotic gatherings of strangers. She was inclined to agree with the human woman - Sen, if she recalled correctly - that Shen was not to be trusted unconditionally, but then, neither was anyone else here.

"Sounds like you're asking to make yourself a suspect," Vy responded to the Klatooinian. "It might work, but you'd better prepare yourself for the possible consequences. A fake identity won't be easy to force through a halfway-decent background check, and I personally don't like to give my real name to anyone I'm about to rip off." Or anyone else, for that matter.

"Like you said," she added, turning to the human woman, "we should start with research. On the gem, on the museum, on the auction, on any potential bidders." She paused. "On Shen and her brother, if you want, and this Grayson while we're at it. Personally, I'm inclined to start with the auction itself, and hopefully the identities of some of the possible bidders. Anyone interested in joining me?"

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Khaleth Starstarer

Khaleth coughed lightly. "I think my efforts will be best put to use doing research, so yes, I will accompany you...Vyzari, was it? Researching the auction itself is a good place to start, I think. Then we can branch out to the bidders and the jewel itself."

Khaleth rose from his seat. "I am ready to start if you are."

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Davin Thul

Well, at least that was one task covered. Davin pushed his chair back a started to get up. "I guess I'll leave the jewel research to you then. Meanwhile, I suppose I could talk to some people ans see if there's any word about other teams planning this same heist, or just find a spot and observe the comings and goings around either the auction house or the museum. Either way may reveal to us potential rivals, as well as get an idea regarding personnel rotations with the second. Anyone wish to join me? Well, as long as you're decent at being inobtrusive."

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 22, 2014

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Nachkt

"This is going to be a bad job, I can tell. But I need the credits, so Iif anyone is going to look into the underground for others planning a heist, I will come along. They may need some motivation to get talking, and I can be very motivating."

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Orell Retwin

"I need to get a better feel for the layout of the museum, see what security measures we can see, get information on the ones we can't. We also need to figure out an entry and exit strategy. So I'll be heading to the museum."

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

K`rak Tar

K'rak nods at Orell, "I'll go with you, get a feel for the place."

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Sen Jevrik

"Another crew could throw off any plans we make, no matter what. I've got some patients among the local criminal element who have a penchant for rumormongering. I'll see what I can learn about any other groups of scoundrels organizing recently. Mr. Nachkt can join me." Sen nods to Vyzari. "I'll listen for anything interesting about the Shen siblings as well."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
After the departure of Shen, the group of 8 splits off to tackle three separate missions.

Team Auction, consisting of Vyzari, Thobi and Khaleth, research the auction itself; how to get in, what other interested parties there are, who's handling the gem currently, etc. Narrate what you're doing; if you want to do Holonet research, that's a Diff 2 Computers check. If you want to head to the venue itself and inquire with the staff, it'll be a Diff 1 Streetwise, but with one Setback die. Sneaking around the venue itself will be a Diff 2 Skullduggery. Any other plans, bring them up in the OOC thread, I'll get you a roll.

Team Countermeasures, consisting of Nachkt and Sen, start poking around the fringe elements, seeing who else might be planning a similar heist. Start out with a Knowledge: Underworld check, we'll go from there.

Team Snoop, consisting of K`rak, Orell, and Davin, start investigating the security of the museum and how to go about stealing the physical gem as well as how to hack in and steal the credits. Lots of potential checks here. Diff 2 1 Setback Skullduggery followed by a Diff 4 and 2 Setback Computers to straight up hack in a backdoor to the museum's network to enable theft of the credits. I recommend against this, but it might be fun to go all out with it. Otherwise, Diff 2 Skullduggery to sneak around the museum and learn stuff, anything else you want to try, again, bring it up OOC.

After exchanging com-codes and the like, the teams head out!

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Thobi Fenn

Thobi had been hiding in face in the glow of his datapad as the group started to part ways. As Vyzari and Khaleth begin planning to head out, he follows them. "Already on it, guys," he says as he turns the device around to show them the screen's contents.

I'll take the basic infodump now, but Thobi is also going to try to check out the "usual suspects" to find out a bit more:

Searching Holonet for leads: 3eP+1eA+2eD 3 successes, 1 advantage

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Sen Jevrik

Heading back to her clinic's neighborhood, Sen brings a list of patients she's treated recently. She scrolls though it, looking for any individuals who have the connections necessary to have heard if another group was organizing to pull off something big. Some of them might still owe her. And if they don't, there are other incentives that get questions answered. A few names stick out that seem like promising starting points.

Dredging up contacts: 4eA 4 successes, 3 advantage

"The people we'll meet with are all my patients," she says to Nachkt as she searches. "So please don't do anything to them that I'll have to patch up again."

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Orell Retwin

Orell enters the museum, taking a moment to admire the architecture of the building itself before heading inside. He grabs a holo-pamphlet to blend in and appear as though he's admiring and studying the paintings and artifacts, rather than the security system.

Casing the museum: 2eP+1eA+2eD 3 successes

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Nachkt

Nachkt follows Sen to her clinic, hanging back and keeping an wary eye out the entire way. If they were looking for others planning a heist, what was to say others weren't doing the same thing? Still, they reach Sen's clinic and Nachkt looks over Sen's list of patients. "Is there anyone in this cities underworld you haven't treated? Doesn't look like it." he mutters as he goes over the list himself, along with a few potential names in his head. "I'll try not too, but with that patient list, half will will try and kill you if you dig to deep and the other half won't talk unless I do. We'll try it your way first, if you wish"

I know that guy... (underworld): 2eA 2 successes, 1 advantage

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Davin Thul

Picking up a headset for the audio tour, Davin wanders into the museum a few minutes after Orell. Having previously decided to leave checking the security to the actual thief, he instead puts his skills to use looking for shady characters, and concentrates on observing other people touring the museum, seeing if any of them stood out.

Going to just roll Observation, as I'm not sure what the difficulty would be set at. Or, for that matter, if it would actually be an opposed check.

Observation: 2eP 2 successes, 1 advantage

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

K`rak Tar

Outside the Museum, Cloud City, Bespin

K'rak ponders the museum, and watching his compatriots enter, he wonders what the law enforcement response time is like. He moves a half a block up the gallery and using a public terminal, phones security. "Security? Yeah I'm down by the Museum, in front of that stall that sells all the linens, and I just saw two men with disruptor pistols muscle a lady behind the stall. You better come quick!" He kills the connection and moves away to observe the response and response times.

If I have to I'll spend a destiny to ensure that I can do this without being traced, so no video recording of me doing it, etc. K'rak would use a public terminal and obscure his face as needed.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Team Countermeasures

RandallODim posted:

Sen Jevrik

Heading back to her clinic's neighborhood, Sen brings a list of patients she's treated recently. She scrolls though it, looking for any individuals who have the connections necessary to have heard if another group was organizing to pull off something big. Some of them might still owe her. And if they don't, there are other incentives that get questions answered. A few names stick out that seem like promising starting points.

Dredging up contacts: 4eA 4 successes, 3 advantage

"The people we'll meet with are all my patients," she says to Nachkt as she searches. "So please don't do anything to them that I'll have to patch up again."

nothing to seehere posted:

Nachkt

Nachkt follows Sen to her clinic, hanging back and keeping an wary eye out the entire way. If they were looking for others planning a heist, what was to say others weren't doing the same thing? Still, they reach Sen's clinic and Nachkt looks over Sen's list of patients. "Is there anyone in this cities underworld you haven't treated? Doesn't look like it." he mutters as he goes over the list himself, along with a few potential names in his head. "I'll try not too, but with that patient list, half will will try and kill you if you dig to deep and the other half won't talk unless I do. We'll try it your way first, if you wish"

I know that guy... (underworld): 2eA 2 successes, 1 advantage

So I forgot to list a difficulty for this check. It was 1 Diff 1 Setback; so here's the difficulty rolls for your checks:

Sen's Difficulty: 1eD+1eS 2 failures, 1 threat

Brings you down to 2 Success, 2 Advantage

Nachkt's Difficulty: 1eD+1eS 2 failures

Puts you at 0 Success, 1 Advantage

After a series of comlink calls and office visits, Sen and Nachkt comes up with the following information:

It appears that nobody is assembling as intricate of a plot as the Shen siblings; none of your underworld contacts have any knowledge of anyone ballsy enough to try to steal the credits from the auction. There has been some cantina bragging of various small-time crooks planning on lifting the gem, but only two people seem to have put any thought beyond "Find gem, steal gem, ??????, profit".

The first is a human fringer named Carlo. He's not generally a material goods thief, mostly he deals in information and ship registries. However there's been rumblings of some manner of lady friend associated with Carlo and he wants an engagement gift for her. From what the fringe element on Bespin has deduced, his plan is to lift the gem from the museum well before the auction. Further details of his plan are unknown.

The second is Vorse Tabarith; a Bespin-based crime lord. He's publicly declared interest in bidding on the Jewel at auction, but Cloud City scuttlebutt has it that his lieutenants are under orders to steal the gem if he loses the auction. Tabarith is prone to bouts of extreme rage, but when he's calm he considers himself a "classy gentleman" and more of a "rougish commander" rather than criminal scum. This is why he's equally wiling to win the auction as well as have the gem stolen.

Let me know how you guys want to proceed from here. Contacting these parties directly, trying to kick their asses, whatever.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
TEAM SNOOP

Elendil004 posted:

K`rak Tar

K'rak ponders the museum, and watching his compatriots enter, he wonders what the law enforcement response time is like. He moves a half a block up the gallery and using a public terminal, phones security. "Security? Yeah I'm down by the Museum, in front of that stall that sells all the linens, and I just saw two men with disruptor pistols muscle a lady behind the stall. You better come quick!" He kills the connection and moves away to observe the response and response times.

If I have to I'll spend a destiny to ensure that I can do this without being traced, so no video recording of me doing it, etc. K'rak would use a public terminal and obscure his face as needed.

This reminds me that I stupidly didn't roll destiny yet. Have this one on me, Destiny pool appears at the bottom of the post!

After ducking out of sight, K'rak counts off slowly. Approximately 7 standard minutes later, a vehicle that looked like a over-large STAP with a enlarged and reinforced windscreen drifted by overhead. It bore two men in security uniforms, one piloting with only a holstered blaster pistol, the other wielding some manner of weapons detecting device with a rifle slung over his shoulder. They security STAP made a slow circuit of the area, the man with the weapons detector covering every angle at least twice. After finding nothing, the passenger stowed the device and tapped the pilot on the back of the helmet. With no further fuss, the Security STAP flew away.

Kloaked00 posted:

Orell Retwin

Orell enters the museum, taking a moment to admire the architecture of the building itself before heading inside. He grabs a holo-pamphlet to blend in and appear as though he's admiring and studying the paintings and artifacts, rather than the security system.

Casing the museum: 2eP+1eA+2eD 3 successes

From the publicly accessible areas of the museum, Orell observes fairly standard security. Holocams pointed at various hallway junctions and art pieces, recessed grates that were most likely shut and locked during non-business hours, a semi-regular patrol of security personnel. The security men were armed with small pistols and nightsticks, but otherwise seemed fairly lax. They did not operate in pairs or seem to do much more than discourage rambunctious younglings from taking impromptu self-portraits with various art pieces. Probably cheaply hired help. The only room of the museum that appeared to have higher security was the auction room. It was painfully obvious that additional cameras and sensors had been hastily bolted into place. The security men present wore much different uniforms, of obvious Imperial design, and had much larger pistols and nightsticks as well as various other crowd control devices. The Jewel itself was behind 3 layers of transparisteel, and you are unable to approach close enough to examine the casing for more sensors or anti-theft devices

Lord Koth posted:

Davin Thul

Picking up a headset for the audio tour, Davin wanders into the museum a few minutes after Orell. Having previously decided to leave checking the security to the actual thief, he instead puts his skills to use looking for shady characters, and concentrates on observing other people touring the museum, seeing if any of them stood out.

Going to just roll Observation, as I'm not sure what the difficulty would be set at. Or, for that matter, if it would actually be an opposed check.

Observation: 2eP 2 successes, 1 advantage

The vast majority of the museum's patrons seemed to be perfectly average citizens. Occasionally there was a shady character; some manner of drug exchange was occurring in a public refresher station, an enterprising young man was collecting some manner of debris scraped off of inconspicuous corners and bases of frames and statues. The only man of note was someone who was conspicuous only through his lack of activity. He was standing in the back corner of the auction room, leaning against the wall, staring directly at one of the security guards. His species was a mystery; bipedal humanoid was about all that could be determined. Even the pronoun "he" was a best guess based on broader shoulders and wider hands than females of many of the more common species on Cloud City.

Destiny Pool: 8eF 7 Light Side, 4 Dark Side

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

jivjov posted:

Team Countermeasures

Sen Jevrik

Sen considers the two opposing plans. Of the pair, Vorse seems more likely to be able to muster the muscle necessary to take them gem, should it come down to it. But he won't be a real threat until the auction itself. Carlo's plan to try and steal the gem could cause serious complications right now. If Carlo succeeds, they've lost the gem, and he'll probably disappear as quickly as he can. But if Carlo fails, that'll set security on edge and make stealing the gem themselves a much more daunting task.

Relaying the information to the rest of the other teams over their coms, Sen asks the group checking out the auction to make sure to look into Vorse. Gathering her things, she turns to Nachkt. "Time to pay Carlo a visit, I think. See if we can convince him stealing the gem is a poor decision."

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

K`rak Tar

As the STAP makes his sweep, K'rak makes a point to look for any patterns, identifying marks, possible weaknesses or strengths. He draws on his years of security/guard experience to try to get a feel for the local 5-0. After compiling his thoughts, he looks for a nearby vendor.

K'rak moves over to the vendor and, pointing at the retreating STAP, casually asks, "What was that all about, you get many random security scans like that? I'm not sure if I feel more, or less safe..."

Let me know what you want me to roll here, if anything. I want to pump the vendor for information about local security responses and presence, but starting slow.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Orell Retwin

After surveying the basics, Orrell attempts to get a closer look at the more elaborate security in the jewel room

Pull Fire Alarm: 2eP+1eA+1eD 3 successes, 1 advantage

Avoid Evacuation: 2eP+1eA+2eD 2 successes, 1 advantage

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Davin Thul

Taking note of the out-of-place individual, Davin was debating his next move when it all went to hell. With the fire alarm going off, and most of the crowd panicking and jostling to get out, he had no real choice but to go with the flow of them. Perhaps if he'd been expecting it alternate plans could have been made, but this was how it stood.

At the very least he tried to see what said person was doing while everyone rushed for the doors.

If this is a check, feel free to make it, whatever it might be.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Nachkt

Team Countermeasures

"Carlo should be easy enough to deal with. I could just break both his arms, then we can be sure he won't be able to try and steal the gem. You'll even get some more work in fixing up his arms, if I go alone and you pretend your not involved. Vorse will be harder, I don't want to kick a hornets nest by going and strongarming him into leaving the jewel alone, and him bidding up the price will be good for our shares. I'd say leave him for now and on the night the auction I can deal with his thugs when they show up." With the decision made, Nachkt heads towards Carlo's favored drinking hole looking for him.

Hunting for Carlo (streetwise): 2eA+1eD 2 successes, 1 advantage

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 3, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
TEAM SNOOP

Elendil004 posted:

K`rak Tar

As the STAP makes his sweep, K'rak makes a point to look for any patterns, identifying marks, possible weaknesses or strengths. He draws on his years of security/guard experience to try to get a feel for the local 5-0. After compiling his thoughts, he looks for a nearby vendor.

K'rak moves over to the vendor and, pointing at the retreating STAP, casually asks, "What was that all about, you get many random security scans like that? I'm not sure if I feel more, or less safe..."

Let me know what you want me to roll here, if anything. I want to pump the vendor for information about local security responses and presence, but starting slow.

No roll yet, you're just making casual conversation.
The Sullustian vendor shakes his head ruefully "Never can tell with these security bozos...sometimes we'll get a copper or three every hour on the hour, making sure all our paperwork is in order and nobody is selling goods they shouldn't. Other times we don't catch a glimpse of a uniform for weeks. You're looking to be kept safe? Spend your time on the casino and residential levels. That's where the rich ones are, and that's where the Wing Guard spends their time and effort. I'm not saying we're second class citizens down here...but...we're second class citizens down here."

Kloaked00 posted:

Orell Retwin

After surveying the basics, Orrell attempts to get a closer look at the more elaborate security in the jewel room

As the fire alarm starts angrily blaring, a metallic mesh of some kind extends from the floor and envelops the Jewel's display case. The guards react with trained discipline; one starts deploying some manner of fire-tent over himself and the jewel's case while the other not-so-gently hustles people from the room. Orell ducks out of the doorway and then slips back in as the guard is occupied with an elderly woman who apparently cannot even hear the angry alarm. Moments later, the room is empty other than himself and the guard under the fire tent.
How in-depth do you want to get with examining the defense mechanisms? You can't get to the Jewel's case itself, but you can examine the other security bits pretty much at your leisure for a few minutes.

Lord Koth posted:

Davin Thul

Taking note of the out-of-place individual, Davin was debating his next move when it all went to hell. With the fire alarm going off, and most of the crowd panicking and jostling to get out, he had no real choice but to go with the flow of them. Perhaps if he'd been expecting it alternate plans could have been made, but this was how it stood.

At the very least he tried to see what said person was doing while everyone rushed for the doors.

The mystery hooded figure reacted in a manner that suggested that he was almost expecting things to go crazy. His demeanor was that of a being who was trying very hard to look just like an average everyday panicked civilian while also keeping a close watch on the Jewel. After everyone (sans the sneaky Orell) is shuffled from the room, the hooded figure makes a beeline to the nearest exit door, walking purposefully through the crowd of civilians. Once clear of the buliding, Davin observes the being pulling a comlink from a belt pouch and muttering into it while heading away from the museum.
Do you want to pursue? The hooded guy is making no major effort to conceal himself, but it's very likely that he'll be lost in the crowd of Cloud City if you don't keep up.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 3, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
TEAM COUNTERMEASURES

RandallODim posted:

Sen Jevrik

Sen considers the two opposing plans. Of the pair, Vorse seems more likely to be able to muster the muscle necessary to take them gem, should it come down to it. But he won't be a real threat until the auction itself. Carlo's plan to try and steal the gem could cause serious complications right now. If Carlo succeeds, they've lost the gem, and he'll probably disappear as quickly as he can. But if Carlo fails, that'll set security on edge and make stealing the gem themselves a much more daunting task.

Relaying the information to the rest of the other teams over their coms, Sen asks the group checking out the auction to make sure to look into Vorse. Gathering her things, she turns to Nachkt. "Time to pay Carlo a visit, I think. See if we can convince him stealing the gem is a poor decision."

nothing to seehere posted:

Nachkt
"Carlo should be easy enough to deal with. I could just break both his arms, then we can be sure he won't be able to try and steal the gem. You'll even get some more work in fixing up his arms, if I go alone and you pretend your not involved. Vorse will be harder, I don't want to kick a hornets nest by going and strongarming him into leaving the jewel alone, and him bidding up the price will be good for our shares. I'd say leave him for now and on the night the auction I can deal with his thugs when they show up." With the decision made, Nachkt heads towards Carlo's favored drinking hole looking for him.

One final com-call to a former patient and a trip to a nearby tapcaf later, Nachkt and Sen know exactly where to find Carlo. Apparently his favorite hangout is a small casino at the very fringe of the lower levels. A single floor above the casino, the ritzy part of Cloud City begins. A single floor below and you're right back in the slums. The Third Chance has a reputation for being one of the more honest casinos in town and only people who are actually cheating the system get their legs broken on their way out. Carlo's lady friend works as a bartender at the casino and Carlo himself occupies his 'legitimate' time either loitering at the bar with her or whiling away the time at low-stakes sabaac tables.

The beings who Nachkt contacted to find Carlo's whereabouts were actually of an up-and-up sort and showed no inclination to warn him that a human and a Trandoshan were inquiring after him, so approaching him should be simple.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
TEAM AUCTION

Doctor Epitaph posted:

Thobi Fenn

Thobi had been hiding in face in the glow of his datapad as the group started to part ways. As Vyzari and Khaleth begin planning to head out, he follows them. "Already on it, guys," he says as he turns the device around to show them the screen's contents.

I'll take the basic infodump now, but Thobi is also going to try to check out the "usual suspects" to find out a bit more:

Thobi, after a few quiet minutes tapping away at his datapad has turned up the following information:

The date, time, and location of the auction, including the schedule of mingling periods and hors d'oeuvre servings.

A couple of major interested bidders have made their interest in the Jewel known, these include Vorse Tabarith the crime boss, Kaltho the Hutt, famed Togruta professor Shreya Ordassa, and wealthy aristocrat Mil Mikkir. The museum's datapage suggests that there are other confirmed bidders, but they were either not rich enough or not (in)famous enough to be named.

A cross-promotional advertising venture between the museum and the Cloud City Grand Prix cloud car race is being heavily promoted. The winner of the Grand Prix will be given exclusive access to meet-and-greet with the rich and famous bidders and can even participate in the auction itself if his or her sponsors will front the money or they're independently wealthy enough.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

jivjov posted:

TEAM SNOOP
How in-depth do you want to get with examining the defense mechanisms? You can't get to the Jewel's case itself, but you can examine the other security bits pretty much at your leisure for a few minutes.

That works for me. Is that another perception roll?

Kloaked00 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Vyzari Vynn

"I don't suppose any of us are secretly professional cloud car racers, by any chance?" Vy jokes. "The way I see it, there are two obvious ways to inflate the bids for the gem. The first is by bidding on it ourselves and forcing the other bids up. Pretty straightforward, as long as we're able to get in on auction. Of course, there's the obvious drawback that actually winning the auction ruins the plan. The other obvious course of action is to try to get close to one or more of the bidders and manipulate them into bidding more aggressively. This removes the drawback, but is a lot less straightforward. Of course," she adds with a smile, "there's nothing preventing us from doing both."

"I'd like to head down to the auction house personally to try to determine how difficult it will be to actually enter the bidding," she continues. "You're welcome to accompany me, but I think it would be best if only one person actually entered the premises and spoke with them."

Not long after, Vy finds herself in the auction house's front office, where she quickly explains to a member of the staff that a client of hers wishes to enter the bidding on the gem everyone is suddenly talking about. "I'd just like to know whether it is still possible to enter the bidding, and, if so, what needs to be done to do so," Vy explains in her most professional tone of voice.

Streetwise: 2eP+1eA+1eD+1eS 2 successes, 3 advantage

• Locked thread