Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Adding my voice to the chorus of people saying they've been really looking forward to this. I really need to go back and do the rest of the postgame stuff myself one of these days.

WeaponBoy posted:

Been looking forward to this one ever since you posted that first tutorial video.

One thing probably worth mentioning is that a lot of the GEATHJERK troops and a lot of the terms related to them are Japanese words turned into romaji (English phonetic translations of each syllable) and then screwed with to be less obviously Japanese. Usually the Japanese meaning fits a lot with what that thing does in the game.

Dough-Goo - dōgu - 道具 - tool, device, etc.
Chew Dough-Goo - chūdōugu - 中道具 - chū means medium, implying merely that they're slightly larger than regular dough-goos.
Gatcha - gacha - ガチャ - A Japanese tern for one of those capsule machines, taken from the English term 'got ya'. I...probably didn't need to explain that.
Diedough-Goo - daidōgu - 大道具 - Same as before, but dai means big, great, etc.
Kahkoo Regah - kakuriga - 隔離が - Kakuri means hidden, but I'm not entirely sure what the 'ga' part is. It could be a transitive particle, as in 'to be hidden', but I don't know.

Dough-Goo's are actually named after 土偶 (Doguu), ancient Japanese clay dolls which their designs are based on. Also, Kahkooregah comes from 隠れ処 (kakurega), meaning hiding place or refuge.

Other Geath names so far:
Hoedown: 砲弾 (houdan) - cannon ball
Dahkarts: 蛇蝎 (dakatsu) - detestation, literally "snake and scorpion"
GEATHJERK itself seems to be a combination of 下種 (gesu, "low-life") and 邪悪 (jaaku, "wicked" or "evil")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't count, though not 100%.

Failing the challenge rooms and dying are the only things that impact your score IIRC (I wish someone told me that failing a mission equals a death, I got platinums on most everything once but failed a side mission a number of times and was crushed when I got the bad news)

Actually, failing a Kahkoo-regah only counts as a death if you choose to retry - if you decline to retry, the game puts you outside the Kahkoo-regah entrance and lets you re-enter with no penalty. It's kind of a really badly thought out mechanic since it means that the retry prompt basically amounts to "do you want to take a score penalty or sit through two obnoxiously long loading screens?"

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Fedule posted:

This is part of what makes Platinum Games so frustrating; sure, the core gameplay is an absolute joy once you figure out how the hell it works and look up all the details that aren't mentioned anywhere (did you know? The in-game instruction that wiggling the left stick drops items is only mentioned in the Quick Help menu, which is only available on the Gamepad, and only when the game is not Paused.), but all the little systems that support the player's ability to have fun playing the game are average to beyond-hosed. It feels like nobody playtested any of this with any use case other than "player just going through the story, once". Trying to go through and systematically get good ranks will give you a precision guided tour of everything that's wrong with loading, checkpointing, ranking, certain encounters.

Tell me this; in Revengeance, the game wouldn't save your rank until after the result screen had been up for about five seconds, so if you got a not-S-Rank you could restart. Does W101 do that too?

The way TW101 works is that the game saves your rank when you hit the next checkpoint: you can screw around as long as you like and you'll still be able to retry the last mission as long as you don't advance far enough to hit the invisible trigger area that overwrites the previous checkpoint with your current progress. For the most part, that works just fine, except for a handful of missions where you'll always hit the trigger immediately once you finish the mission. If you want to retry one of those, you need to restart the whole operation, so it's definitely one of those issues you mentioned where it's insignificant until you start to play for ranks and it suddenly becomes the most frustrating thing in the world.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
On the topic of Gethjerk puns:

Gah-Goojin: I'm not sure about the Gah part, but Goojin is probably from 偶人 (guujin, "puppet"), since that particular enemy is a piloted robot.
Tiekuu and Die-Tiekuu: 対空 (taikuu, "anti-air"). The Die-prefix is 大 (dai, "big" or "great"), which we've seen before with Die Dough-Goo.
You-Hough: ユーフォー (yuufoo, "UFO").
Laambo: 乱暴 (ranbou, "rude/violent/reckless") and/or John Rambo.
Diekuu Ohrowchee: 大空大蛇 (daikuu orochi), Great Space Orochi. The character 空 means either "sky" or "empty", but IIRC its profile mentions that its natural habitat is the vacuum of outer space, so I figured that was the specific meaning they were going for.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Soricidus posted:

It's 瓦偶人, which I believe is an older term for haniwa.

Ah, thanks. I figured it might be something like that what with the Dough-Goos and Cough-Foons and all, but that term was obscure enough that I never ran into it.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Ah, yes, the best and the worst character making their debuts in the same operation. The weird thing is that I think that the reasons why Vorkken is so great and Pink is so bad are the same. Basically, both characters are huge walking clichés: Pink is a sexualized, super-emotional fashion model while Vorkken is the smug evil doppelgänger with a ~*tragic anime backstory*~. With both characters they try to make the clichés really over the top and in Vorkken's case it works really well because it lets them really ham it up and sneak in jabs at overly long cutscenes and all that, but in Pink's case it never really seems to feel like they're laughing at the stereotypes rather than the people being stereotyped. I guess the problem might be that the tropes they used to build Vorkken are stuff that's supposed to be really cool and ends up being silly when you push it, whereas Pink is mainly made of negative stereotypes that just end up being more offensive and cringeworthy the thicker you lay them on. Or something.

Anyway, slight correction to what Chip said about the Geathjerk names in the video: the English names weren't based off the Japanese names, it was actually the other way round. That is, they took a Japanese word, mangled it a bit and spelled it phonetically to get the English names and wrote the English name in katakana to get the Japanese name. Basically, what I'm getting at here is that none of the Japanese names are actually spelled the same way you'd spell the original word and that makes looking some of these up kind of a pain :v:.

This week's names:

Hah-markee: 葉巻 (hamaki), cigar.
Chi-Q: 地球 (chikyuu), earth.
Rhullo: 流浪 (rurou), vagrancy/nomadism.
Guyzoch: 海賊 (kaizoku), pirate.
Vorkken Ohgee: 暴君王子 (boukun ouji), "Tyrant Prince".
Chewgi: 忠義 (chuugi), loyalty.

These ones I'm not really sure about :

The Meizerr: I guess if you assume the "the" is part of the original word you could get something like "zameizaa" and fit shark (鮫, same) in there? While I was trying to look this up I ran into a 2ch thread discussing the names and they hadn't figured it out either, so
Gedie Dough-Goo: there's another spiky enemy later on that also has the ge-prefix, so it's probably something to do with spikes but I'm not sure of the actual kanji. The above-mentioned 2ch thread claims that it's just 棘 ("spike"), but my dictionary isn't showing "ge" as a valid reading for that so I dunno? The rest of the name got covered back on page 1.

Also, Ironicus, that was clearly an onigiri, not mochi :colbert:.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Fedule posted:

Is there a particularly not irritating way of checking whether or not a particular Wonderful One is already in my team? I want to comb through and recruit everyone and I don't know where to start.

After beating the final operation you unlock gallery mode, which contains a numerically sorted list of all the Wonderful Ones you've found (among other things).

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Fedule posted:

Good, good. I came across Saur's videos but I don't think I picked up that this stuff was so good for combo score, I just thought it was an overly stylish (and safer) way of dealing with enemies.

Here's something else in the meantime: Is there any way to get the game to remember who you choose as your leaders between missions? I'm getting a bit tired of having to change them from the Colour people all the time.

Oh, and here's another something else. Is there a guideline for what things can be Hero Counter'd, like how Guts only works against blunt attacks etc?

I went ahead and answered these in the Games thread.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
To go back to discussing the last boss fight for a bit, I think that the reason why this one wasn't quite as over the top as the first one is that this one really exists to set a scale for the game. I don't want to give away too much, but there's a point late in the game where you can look back at how this guy, this one single guy used to be a full-fledged boss fight and you'll get a sense of exactly how ridiculous things have become.

Anyway, name puns for the last two updates:

Nyerk: possibly from "kunyakunya", a mimetic word describing something soft and flexible
Gehdown: the same "Ge"-prefix as in Gedie-Goojin + Hoedown.
Notoriyeah: 乗っ取り屋 (nottoriya), hijacker.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Morbi posted:

A quick correction: Wonder Yellow's hammer is actually called the "Peta-Peta hammer". The Piko Piko hammer is the name of the hammer Amy Rose uses in the Sonic series (which may be the reference being made), and the name itself comes from a specific Japanese squeaking onomatopoeia used for toy hammers.

The Piko Piko Hammer doesn't actually originate from Sonic, it's a type of toy hammer that's popular in Japan. The "Peta-Peta" in Yellow's hammer comes of course from SI prefixes, where "pico" means 10−12 and "peta" means 1015.

This week's names:
Envan: 円盤 (enban), disk or flying saucer.
Megang: probably from mega and/or 亀 (kame, turtle) + 丸 (gan, curl up/round).
Dough-Kun: I couldn't actually find anything for this one.

Also:
James Shirogane: his last name is written as 白金 which literally means "white gold" and is an older word for silver. However, 白金 also has another reading, "hakkin", which means... platinum. Apply Japanese name order and you get 白金ジェームズ = Platinum James.

Doc V fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Aug 4, 2014

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Neruz posted:

Isn't kun an honorific?

Yeah, but that's probably not really applicable to a hover-cannon.

On closer inspection, Dough-Kun is probably a portmanteau of 毒 (doku, poison) and 薫 (kun), which usually means "fragrance" but also has the meaning "smoke" and is specifically used in the word for fumigation.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Brunom1 posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, Diejeah would be 大蛇, Daija, which is Big Serpent/Snake but can, also, be read as Orochi O-ROW-CHEE!

Correct!
The other name puns in this fight are:

Wanna: 罠 (wana), trap.
Orgon: 黄金 (ougon), gold.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
This update's Japanese stuff:

Hah-Gonay: as several people already pointed out, this is from 鋼 (hagane), steel.
Vijounne: probably from 美女 (bijo), meaning "beautiful woman" or 美純 (bijun), "beautiful and pure". Fun fact about Vijounne: you can bring a Geathjerk weapon into Blue's solo fight against her and it will actually one-shot her from full health! I know that this works at least with Dahkarts tails.
Momoe Byakkoin: Wonder White's first name, "Momoe" is written as 百恵, meaning "hundred wisdoms". His surname, "Byakkoin", is written as 百虎院 and is a combination of Byakko, the White Tiger of the West combined with 院 which usually means school/institute/temple etc. However, the Byakko in his name is written with the kanji for "hundred" (百, which is also what he has on his forehead), rather than "white" (白). So you could interpret his name as meaning something along the lines of "One hundred wisdoms from the school of one hundred white tigers".
Also, the kanji from the QTE before Vijounne is 断, which has a couple of meanings, but the relevant one here is "cut".

The lost continent of Mu was first proposed in the 1862 by French historian Charles Étienne Brasseur de Bourbourg, who claimed to have successfully translated ancient Mayan writings describing a sunken kingdom called "Mu", reminiscent of the myth of Atlantis. His works inspired British-American traveler and writer Augustus Le Plongeon, who conducted his own research into the matter and concluded that the continent of Mu was not only the original home of Mesoamerican civilizations but also of several other ancient cultures such as the Egyptians, who supposedly descended from Mu's ruler, Queen Moo, and revered her as the goddess Isis.

The idea of Mu didn't really take off until British-born writer and self-styled colonel James Churchward decided to follow up his previous works Fishing Among the 1,000 Islands of the St. Lawrence (1894) and A Big Game and Fishing Guide to Northeastern Maine (1897) by branching into cryptoarchaeology and authoring a series of eight books on the subject of Mu, starting in 1926. Churchward's version of Mu was supposedly derived from ancient Indian (as in India, not Native American) clay tablets and was located in the Pacific Ocean rather than the Atlantic, where previous writers had placed it. According to him, Mu is where humans first appeared on Earth, and it was ruled by a highly enlightened white (of course) race, whose descendants went on to found just about every notable ancient civilization, after their homeland was catastrophically destroyed in a single night by earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. To back up his claims, Churchward pointed out that many of these civilizations had used common imagery in their artwork, such as birds and the sun. Because what other reason could two unrelated people from opposite sides of the world possiby have to draw birds or the goddamn sun?

The concept of Mu wasn't particularly believable even when it was first published and modern science has debunked it entirely. While Atlantis has enough fame to have remained well-known to this day, Mu has more or less been forgotten entirely... in the west, at least. As it happens, it's actually far better known in Japan than in the countries where it was fabricated.

On August 7th, 1932, Japanese newspapaper Sunday Mainichi published an article titled "Opening the door to the secrets of the lost Pacific continent Mu". This was the first time Mu was introduced to the Japanese public and it seems to have made an impact, probably because the supposed continent's proximity to Japan. Three years later, one Takeuchi Kiyomaro discovered a 1900-year-old collection of texts known today as the "Takeuchi Documents". These documents described not one but two lost continents in the Pacific, Miyoi and Tamiara, where five different colors of people had been ruled by the "golden humans". Apparently some nationalist groups took a liking to the documents, as the descendants of the golden humans were, of course, the Japanese Imperial family, who therefore were the rightful rulers of the entire world. Other truths gleamed from this undoubtedly authentic ancient relic are, for instance, the fact that the real name of Jesus Christ was actually "Isuchris Christmas" and that he's buried in Aomori, Japan (there was a mixup at Golgotha and they crucified his younger brother instead). Anyway, Mu remains relevant to this day in Japanese occult and pseudoscience circles, and especially in popular culture. You still occasionally get some crackpot who actually thinks that the Japanese originated from a lost continent in the Pacific, but the most likely place to hear the name "Mu" these days is in an anime or a video game, and it shows up even in some pretty mainstream stuff like Doraemon. And really, it makes sense: Atlantis is all over western pop culture as the mythical homeland of western civilization, Mu basically gives the Japanese an equivalent.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Neruz posted:

Remember Unlimited Form is basically just a backup battery supply that refills your power and a sweet face mask.

Don't forget the cape!

Anyhow, name puns:

Ankho: 鮟鱇 (anko), goosefish.
Die-Rixen: 大陸戦 (dairikusen), "great land war", possibly short for 大陸戦車 (dairikusensha), "great land tank".

Oh, and then there's Immorta, but the pun in her name is kind of a spoiler so I'm gonna wait a few videos before posting that one.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Instead of talking about puns that are spoilers, how about we talk about puns that aren't spoilers, like the ones from last two weeks:

Ohdarko: 大蛸 (oodako), literally "big octopus".
Koh-Tumeekey: 小積木 (kotsumiki), small toy blocks.
Doora: 虎 (tora), tiger.
Kaizor Ohrowchee: we've seen an Ohrowchee before, but the Kaizor in this one's name comes from 改造 (kaizou), meaning "remodeled" or "modded", as it's a cyborg clone of Laambo's Diekuu Ohrowchee. People who watch a lot of anime and such may recognize the word from the term "kaizou ningen" (literally "remodeled human"), which is often used to refer to cyborgs. "Kaizor" also happens to sound like "kaiser", which is, of course, German for emperor and... not necessarily all that fitting here considering how quickly it got mowed down by the Dakkar.
Which reminds me, I think I forgot to cover Immorta's ship's name when it first showed up. Dakkar is actually one of the names I'm not really sure about - it could come from 奪回 (dakkai), meaning recovery or rescue and referencing Immorta's job as a police officer. There's also an enemy named Ducker (spelled exactly the same way in Japanese as Dakkar) in Gradius, and knowing Kamiya's love for old arcade games it could also be a reference to that.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Loxbourne posted:

It is amusing how those big lego-mechs have gone from being set-piece minibosses to mere mooks that arrive in swarms. It has to be a deliberate design decision, since the camera angle change makes them smaller and smaller on each level.

If you want to see this game do cool things with scale, pay attention to how it handles Gah-Goojins (the operation 002 boss). We just met the second one in the game, actually!

Anyhow:

Surey-Doora: 手裏虎 (shuridora), basically "shuriken", but with the kanji for blade replaced with the kanji for tiger.
Tumeekey: 積木 (tsumiki), toy building blocks.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Name puns!

Walltha: 悪さ (warusa), evil, or Walther.
Wallgah-Goojin: 悪瓦偶人 (warugaguujin), evil haniwa.
Gocken Island: 極寒 (gokkan), intense cold.
Kowrule: 凍る (kooru), to freeze + Hyrule.
Kuzzler: possibly 蔓 (kazura), creeping plant
Deah-Kani: Portmanteau of dekai (huge) and 蟹 (kani), crab.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Kaizor Diejeah: 改造大蛇 (kaizou daija), remodelled big snake.
Heyourgah: 氷河 (hyouga), glacier.
Vorkken's Teio-form: 帝王 (teiou), emperor.
Gimme: possibly from 君 (kimi), which just means "you" in modern Japanese, but originally meant "ruler" or "master". As Chip mentioned in the video, his design is based on the Flatwoods monster, which seems to have become well-known in Japan during an occult boom in the 70s. Apparently, it was popularized by a sci-fi author, translator and paranormal investigator called Hiroshi Minamiyama, whose books and TV programs on the monster left an impression on many of the children who grew up during the decade.
Giga-Goonkhan: ギガ軍艦 (gigagunkan), "Giga-Battleship".
And since it isn't a spoiler anymore, I can confirm that Immorta's name is indeed derived from 妹 (imouto), meaning "little sister".

Also, fun little fact about the last mission in 006-B: you don't actually need to grab the handles at all, you can just pull out a really big hammer and it'll completely negate the wind effect.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Name puns for Operation 7:

Gurry Doora: グリグリ (guriguri), a mimetic word for grinding against something with round movements + 虎 (tora), tiger.
Vaaiki: ばい菌 (baikin), germ.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

I counter your argument with the absurdity of the Unite Rocket Secret. On top of a Unite Ladder + Unite Hand secret.

The Unite Ladder secret is actually even more absurd than you saw in the video. See, the Ladder isn't actually the only way to get on that platform: you can just use Unite Claw to climb the school's clock tower and then just double-jump over. In fact, outside of consulting a FAQ, that's the easiest way to find out that the platform is there in the first place. There's a catch, though: if you just jump up to the platform, the box isn't there. You actually specifically need to draw a ladder up to the platform to make the box spawn, otherwise it's just an empty platform (aside from the heart piece).

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Giga-Goojin: Gimme's robot's name is pretty obvious byy this point. Giga + 瓦偶人 (gagujin, old term for haniwa).
Gunchew: the first part of this guy's name is pretty clearly 顔 (gan), "face". The second part isn't as obvious, but based on the context I'd guess it's 宙 (chuu), "space".
Geath Wahksay: 下衆惑星 (gesuwakusei), Scum Planet.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
And the final Japanese name pun:

Jergingha: 邪悪銀河 (jaakuginga), "Evil Galaxy". The final boss is the Galactic Jerk.

Doc V fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 24, 2014

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
A tiny bit of trivia: before the credits, Nelson mentions a Geathjerk base in "sector PG4749". PG obviously stands for "Platinum Games" and some quick googling reveals that 4749 is probably taken from the Platinum Games telephone number (+81-6-4797-0202).

About "Redgrave": according to Kamiya, it's a reference to Chris Redfield and like Chip mentioned in the video, the name first shows up in Devil May Cry, where Dante uses the pseudonym "Tony Redgrave". In Bayonetta, not only is Luka's last name Redgrave, but his father's name is Antonio Redgrave. On Twitter, Kamiya has pretty much said outright that Dante picked up the name from Luka's dad.
So what about the "Redgrave Foundation"? Well, if you check out Wonder Goggles' file, it mentions that Luka's mother's full name is "professor Margarita Redgrave". So the Redgrave Foundation was probably founded in memory of Luka's parents and "Luka Alan Smithee"'s real name is, in fact, Luka Redgrave.

Anyway, thanks for the great LP, Chip and Ironicus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Remember when I said Jergingha was the last name pun? I lied.

The normal Guyzoch suit is called the Vanzen (万全, banzen) or "perfect" suit. Vorkken's unlimited form name is exclusive to him because (as I mentioned around operation 006-C) Teio (帝王, teiou) means "emperor". Chewgi's equivalent is the Ganjo (頑丈, ganjou) or "sturdy" form.

Chewgi's homeworld, Boosheedoh, is obviously a pun on Bushido, while his weapon is the Senpookey (扇風機, senpuuki), which means "electric fan".

Immorta's suit is called the Vodan suit, which is derived from 防弾 (boudan), meaning bulletproof. Her weapon, the Sakuran Bowgun, is a pun on 桜んぼう (sakuranbou), the cherry fruit.

Rodin's weapon is called "Yagyu" (野牛, yagyuu), meaning "Buffalo", and his file states that he made it for Bayonetta, but she refused to use it. In Bayonetta 2, one of the weapons is a giant hammer reminiscent of the Unite Hammer called Takemikazuchi, and the Yagyu shows up as Jeanne's version of it.

Anyway, thanks again for showing off the game, Chip and Ironicus!

• Locked thread