Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Does anyone have any links to good 'in the spotlight' scum play? I have no confidence in my ability to do that and would like to read some good examples of it and try to learn it. Being a "scumhunting" scum looks really effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

windshipper posted:

I think this'll be the second time I've seen you self-vote as scum.

EGG ON YOUR FACE EGG ON YOUR FACE EGG ON YOUR FACE EGG ON YOUR FACE

##vote Magres

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah I won't lie I laughed like a maniac when I saw that whole exchange. Definitely one of the highlights of my game

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Magres posted:

Does anyone have any links to good 'in the spotlight' scum play? I have no confidence in my ability to do that and would like to read some good examples of it and try to learn it. Being a "scumhunting" scum looks really effective.

Yeah :smug:

I'd say the main problem was that scum was wicked under powered. 2 goons and an RB was not enough

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Here was my role. Winning was entirely out of my hands and just pure luck (and an extreme longshot luck at that).

My win condition was to perform a special night action (install) on the Courier character. I only got one shot to do this, and if I was wrong I lost. My tool to help assist was a Courier-cop night action BUT I couldn't even use this ability until the House character died.

I admire the flavor-faithfulness of the role, but here's some constructive criticism to Prop Machine: when designing odd roles, the player still needs to feel like they can construct some some sort of strategy to work towards their goal, that is affected by what's going on in the game. This is called "agency". My first objective was to get the House character killed: how was I supposed to act to make this happen? If you had informed me of who House was in pre-game information I could have acted in bad faith to get him lynched; but other than the flavor implication that he may be a scum player, there really wasn't anything to work towards. Lynch a specific unknown player, who might be scum; errr ok great. Really it was just wait around until maybe something out of my control happens. Its ironic that this was in fact the last player to die.

And even supposing that character died early, then I can start flavor-copping people. Again, what is supposed to guide my choice here other than just throwing a dart at a wall? Is there any specific pattern of play that I should be using to decide who to cop? No, its just flavor. It would simply be luck of the draw to stumble upon the right person.

Finally, making my install a night action instead of a day action, made it even more unlikely to succeed because it required an additional night in a small-game that only went 5 days. All told, there was probably like a 2-3% chance of success just on how the odds were stacked up, and if it did happen it wouldn't be a result of any specific action or strategy on my part.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
##vote Magres

Oh, and I'm the doc. :smuggo:

Merk N1 and N2

Sandwolf N3 and N4.

:smugbert:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
:smug:

##vote magres

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Magres posted:

:smuggo:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3610535&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

##vote Magres should have shot you instead of merk

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Hal Incandenza posted:

##vote Magres should have shot you instead of merk

Fun story, I shot merk at the same time you did

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I don't really get why you guys are going through the formality of voting me when I have publicly conceded the game (not to mention faked a day action and edited the post for all to see), but w/e gg

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Magres posted:

if you want to read a 123 page game, sure http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3576260

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
:redhammer: Hey, that's a hammer for Magres!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I don't know why you shot me, Magres. I wasn't on the right track this game.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

merk posted:

I don't know why you shot me, Magres. I wasn't on the right track this game.

You said you wanted to lynch me on D3 :shrug:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Magres posted:

You said you wanted to lynch me on D3 :shrug:

Probably a fair call tbh.

Good game guys! Big ups to Doctor Windy

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Sandwolf posted:

Probably a fair call tbh.

Good game guys! Big ups to Doctor Windy

For real Windy was an absolute motherfucker to deal with, now that I know what the roles were all game. Well played

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Thank you! I could protect whoever I wanted as many times as I wanted... Just not myself.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I AM EXPECTING AN APOLOGY :v:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Hey guys hope you all had fun :sun:

Kind of an anticlimactic ending, but I think Magres did really well to hang in there for so long. N1 was insane.

All apologies to Slamburger. I wanted to do something fun with Yes Man and just made it way too loving hard.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Propaganda Machine posted:

Hey guys hope you all had fun :sun:

Kind of an anticlimactic ending, but I think Magres did really well to hang in there for so long. N1 was insane.

All apologies to Slamburger. I wanted to do something fun with Yes Man and just made it way too loving hard.

Thanks for running, PMach! Windy knocked his protections out of the park this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Byers2142 posted:

Thanks for running, PMach! Windy knocked his protections out of the park this game.

Right, for the record:

N1: windshipper protects merk, Sandwolf investigates Opopanax, Hal shoots Ernie., Magres shoots merk, Opopanax roleblocks Fry
N2: windshipper protects merk, Sandwolf investigates windshipper, Magres shoots mr.capps, Opopanax roleblocks merk
N3: windshipper protects Sandwolf, Sandwolf investigates merk, Hal shoots merk, Magres shoots merk
N4: windshipper protects Sandwolf, Sandwolf investigates Kumbamontu, Magres shoots Sandwolf

• Locked thread