Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

In as soviet tank, meeting engagement, the middle buildings one (in case of vandalism)

dtkozl posted:

Put me in command of either overall or high command of an attacking force because I know what I am doing and I create drama which is good for the thread.

This is my vote for overall command, even if German. dtkozl really does know their stuff but iirc isn't an arse about it.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

I had great fun last time crashing my "guaranteed to be a Tiger" German halftrack into a ditch, let's see if I'm better at piloting a T-34 :downs:

Picked Soviets because I played Germans last time but no real preference, switch me to the other side if the numbers are too imbalanced.

Hi there, halftrack buddy!

I even don't mind giving up a T-34 for a jeep with a fat machine gun on the back.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 26, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Yeah, I'll play either side.

And the orders thing is fun too. The reason we have screenshot orders, if anyone is wondering, is because a few years (!) back, we had the debacle that was Combat Mission : Normandy - East is %#@! EAST

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

No, incorrect. No light tanks remaining.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

TheHordor posted:

Edit: I was wrong, the last T70 died on the suicide charge. Valiant effort though, Fish.

Thanks mate. I do wonder if I managed to damage anything at least vaguely important, but I seriously doubt it.

Personally I blame the AT gun for not actually shooting the tank. If Hob had pinged it, I reckon the panther would have stayed in position, and I'd have got the rear shot. Or hey, Hob should have got the side shot as it turned and presented the lovely thinner armour to him. Of course, this isn't Hob's fault, just his pixelmen being irritatingly inept.

In fact, if there's a save that Grey's willing to put in dropbox or whatever, and someone with the game willing to try, I'd love to see the "What if", maybe by giving the Panther a short pause order until the AT gun fires on it (and it'd also satisfy my curiosity about how much goddamn longer Hob's gun needed to shoot the bloody thing)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Perhaps, but with our decent tanks stuck in the south and no guarantee that Comstar's AT gun (which btw is facing the wrong way) would be able to penetrate the panther, it could have held at the railway line, covered infantry as they poured into the north of the station, looped around the trees to the north and come at the T-34s from behind, and there would be no response because everything else is stuck south of the railway line.

The thinking was that something had to be able to get the rear (or at the very least the side) of the panther.

I thought it would keep reversing, or perhaps reinforce the infantry against the T-34s to the south.

I thought that either:
a) Hob would shoot it from the front, hold its attention, and I'd be able to get a rear shot
b) It would turn to shoot me and Hob would be able to get a side-turret shot (or side shot if he decided to chase me)

Watching the German video, it nearly worked. He didn't see me even when I shot at him. Now imagine he didn't head north on that exact turn. He wouldn't have seen me coming up behind, probably even if Hob didn't shoot him, as long as he'd stayed on the railway line (again, I thought he was reversing along the railway line)

It was a good use of a scout tank. I'd have been sitting behind the trees and unable to either move forward or really reposition south (because of the MkIV that took out duckfoot). I would have been a useless asset, and while it's all well and good remembering that this is a campaign, to do that we need to win the battle.

The panther had already massacred our HMG team which was a key defensive point in the railway station. It couldn't be allowed to continue to dominate the objective and explode our infantry from range for the rest of the game. I doubt our AT gun would pierce it from the front; certainly the return fire from the panther would have obliterated Hob - so all in all, I'd rather keep the AT gun than a scout tank, and I died in for a half-decent manouevre when I would otherwise have been a tactical kill.

No regrets.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I think my favourite vehicle for Goon vs Goon would be a Mk2 Lynx with it's 20mm and being more bulletproof than a recon halftrack. That or a 105mm assault howitzer or suchlike where I can reduce buildings to brick dust. As you can probably tell, infantry is not my strong suit.

The 45mm is a poor halfway house: not fast enough to keep heads down, not big enough to pack a punch. Also Grey got it wrong in the video - my T-70 didn't button up. It's a two-man tank and the commander is the gunner. He has to go inside every time we want to get a shot off. That slows things down even more.

e: Willie knows what's going on, nearly. He's saying we now have no response to infantry, and no response to the panther. But the panther could have achieved the same situation in a turn or three anyway and at least when he was on the tracks we had half a chance. He acknowledges that it wasn't a good solution, but it having failed, there is now no solution to the panther in the north. Thus it was our only one.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 8, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Combat Mission relies heavily on several factors.

One is hardware: what are you armed with and where are you using it. I love the German infantry for their 'fausts. I love the US airborne for their organic mortars. The SMGs are nice for taking buildings. Big howitzers are crap at moving targets but great for anything stationary. Engineers have demolition charges and the door is usually the most lethal way to enter an occupied building - blowing a wall up is a much better way in. I love small-calibre cannons like flak guns because although they can't kill a tank outright they can scare the crew into bailing out, and shred the radio and optics. Optics are all about accuracy, especially vs moving targets or at distance. One way around this is to have the tanks unbuttoned, but, and I think it happens more in Red Thunder than previous versions, but soldiers will actively try to snipe an unbuttoned tank commander - it's more than just spray and pray.

Contact is the next big thing. Tanks are pants at seeing things when buttoned up. But CM has information sharing. If you are in contact with a squad (for example) that has eyes on a bunch of foxholes, then that information will get shared to your tank, and if it has line of sight it will suddenly notice that they are there. Get rid of the radio and that's not going to happen unless the message is shouted from right beside.

Another is Morale. Troops break and get pinned. When they're cowering (pinned or suppressed) they aren't shooting. When they're broken they aren't taking orders. So you can spend money on veteran/crack troops. We can call things like morale and motivation "soft stats" as opposed to "hard" stats like armament. But spending money on crack troops gives another problem: they're more expensive. And that leads us onto the next big thing:

Getting eyes on. A good solution is to buy more infantry at a cheaper price. Even if your troops are more likely to break, being able to effectively be in more places at once (through spreading your infantry out and effective scouting) gives you more information on the enemy. Your valuable assets are less likely to walk into an ambush. This is a bit of a squishy one, though: it affects information sharing in the way outlined above, but since you (the commander) can order troops not in contact with the HQ to do things (except lay fire support, like mortars) it's slightly a moot point. Sure, your tank might not know there's an AT team in the forest, but you know not to order him there, even if the two man scout team who see that AT team are 500m ahead of your front line.

Fire support - good god but the planes are fantastic. They target armour directly, rather than covering an area, so where arty will fall gradually and give tanks/infantry a chance to reposition, the planes are only forewarned by a propeller sound and you don't know where the hell they've been ordered to hit - "Do I shift my left flank or my right?" is a tough position to be in. The big thing against the soviets (and this is also a hardware problem, for them) is that they don't have smoke rounds for their tanks. Smoke screens cover an advance or reposition brilliantly. Smoke is important (see: getting eyes on). I mentioned above that I love organic mortars. That's because mortars can work on Line of Sight and don't necessarily have to be called in by a HQ (although they also can be). Mortars basically make an attack with suppression or smoke screens. MGs make a defence or suppression. It's the charge that creates the kills and takes the ground. If you can buy a Target Reference Point and can predict the enemy's movement it can be deadly.

Which leads to the final point: buy the force that fits the map. Open ground will probably need a tank to lay in the MG suppression or the HE into buildings that cover the open field so bullets ping off it and it can cover an infantry advance. Sporadic concentrations of dense cover (like copses) will benefit from rifles and MGs to cover an infantry charge between them without the worry of armour getting stuck/lovely lines of sight because of the trees. If you can see obvious places the enemy will reinforce, get mortars, but if it's a poo poo shoot, don't. If there are buildings to be fought over, get those SMGs and engineers. Large maps with multiple paths of attack need scout units in various degrees of bulletproof-ness (scout jeeps, armoured cars, recon halftracks, light tanks etc). AT guns can work wonders in keyholes and on high rises, but hilltops do have a strange way of attracting artillery. If you want to work with casemate-type armour, make sure there are nice hull-down positions that you can get to before they're overwatched by the enemy.

Oh, and never ever buy a Tiger tank.

I'm just saying a bunch of stuff that I know/believe about Combat Mission. I'm hoping to have a role in the next stage of the campaign, so this could be shared with either side (who knows, I might end up a kraut) if they think it's useful.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 8, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Dtkozl hasn't posted in a week or so...

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The only winning move is not to play

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

Getting on some high ground for my fist stop on my way west in order to be able to shoot down onto prone Germans. Weapons free I guess unless there's a specific order to that effect?

/

Orders for 3rd Company, 1st Heavy Tank

Drive in South-West direction at Fast speed as shown on included image:

aaargh! AAARGH! Not the trees! Not that close to the treeeeeeees!!!

It's times like this I wish I hadn't jumped into the observer thread....

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Steel Panther MBT, I think

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Yes, much better.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

To be fair the Soviet leader buggered off towards the end and not everything fell apart - simply because he had been clear enough in the beginning. Lower commanders handled it from there.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Let them choose to either keep or refund at a small penalty. It allows getting rid of stuff a side didn't like or find useful, but rewards previous good unit selection.

This is how to do force selection for the next game.
edit: for the losers, I mean (here, the Germans). If we imagine the Soviets pressing an attack then they'd likely use largely the same units, and the Germans would likely know what was coming. The Soviets would have to choose very carefully what to add in to make their force adapted for the new map.
Basically:
Winners get (what they won with) + (Points to flexify their force and replace losses)
Losers get (What they won with, either to keep or refund at penalty) + (Points to flexify their force and replace losses)
Even if I'm replaying as a Soviet, I want the Germans to know two Uncle Joes are coming for them when they pick their new battle forces.

What will you do about artillery that's been called in - for both sides? Cancel fire missions immediately and refund what is left as pure points?

Also next game, we're shuffling the teams, right? So Germans can become Soviets and vice versa, us dead players can rejoin, and new people can replace people who haven't been posting? If so, will you prioritise new or dead or surviving players?

simplefish fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 15, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Yes, a Soviet attack moving towards Berlin, with the Germans defending as they go

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I'm not sure how much replay value a map really has in a situation like this. With mostly the same forces, and if we're having the Soviets dug in as they are now, it removes a fair bit of the interest for me, at least. A night attack does sound good, though.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I'd like a Soviet assault gun or similar under my control

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I think people are trying to avoid being under Herp's command

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I would like to suggest a limit on the arty for the attackers, maybe give the defenders some bonus points to spend only on immobile things like foxholes, mines, and hedgehogs

e:because it would be cool to see static defences in play and no goon would choose them over something shooty, so make em free, and limit arty because 30 minutes of off map crap falling with no way for the germans to stop it is boring as hell. The purchase system isnt perfect at getting that kind of balance

simplefish fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 16, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I really enjoyed being under TMM's command - the guy was good at feeding a general "Do this" and was pretty drat flexible, meaning I felt in control of how to do what he said to get done. There was good info and notes of caution passed down too, which it was up to me to agree to or ignore.

I'm not, however, going to pile on the "againagain" :bandwagon: because half the fun of this kind of setup is that you don't quite know what you're going to get.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

As Gradenko knows, I have served with Baccaruda over the skies of Europe - I would happily serve under him as a German here.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I think the best shuffle would be entering experience into a table, assigning a value to it (e.g. No CM experience =0, these LPs =1, CM Touch =2, other CM=3, RT=4, with an extra category for those who own the game and are willing to check LOS), balancing the German and Soviet player pools based on these scores, picking two Top Commanders, having them select forces (game units) and have ultimate say on who gets what (from a pool of people saying "I want xyz", and if the commander wishes, first come first served or any other selection method) with those who do not get given units (and who wish to) sticking round in the pool and not reading other threads in case a replacement or 5 is needed.

This might be weighted to keep zero experience people out, though, unless commanders just do first come first served.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

Nah, we'll use the same threads. no need to clutter things up.

Since "clutter" is largely irrelevant on forums, and since there are lots of nice info/tactics posts in the threads (the sort of which people dredged up from past GH:CM:LP threads) it'd be nice if those threads were fine for both sides to pop into and have a look at tactical posts etc.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I'm a proven single-vehicle player. I have proven that I generally position well but am prone to a roll of the dice every now and then. I would take a jeep and a .50cal, I don't really care. Which side wants me?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Haha, Bac, did you buy that or did someone buy it for you?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Herp I hold nothing against you, but you are my enemy now, so I'm going to call your units the Herp-ees. Please send a communique when you are the dudes we're fighting. Except that might actually reveal something. So instead, just know that I'm calling your pixeltruppen "The Herp-ees"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Come back when Battlefront release CM: Chinese, Japanese, Dirty Knees, What Are These - then you can be the Omnees

• Locked thread