Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Maars

The group breaks up and goes their separate ways.

Off by himself, Kurt makes a phone call.

"Hi Kurt. You in town? How is the move going?"

Steve goes to the liquor store to stock up on some potent potables. As he drives around the corner he spots a liquor store. One that looks out of place in a small town like this. Considering how small the town is, the assumption would be that there would only be a convenience store or a grocery store to buy alcoholic products. This town has a liquor store larger then most convenience stores. The name of the store is Zagam's Liquor.

After Steve parks and gets out of his car, he looks off to the side. He noticed something in the corner of his eye. Looking over he sees trees. The leaves seem to spell a word, "FLEE." Steve blinks and the message is gone.

Cheryl arrives at her apartment. She sees several of the others who came right over from the meeting as well. As she opens the door, she hears a deep, growling voice demand,

BLOOD

Not sure where everyone else is, so post and let me know. Even if people don't go to Marion's party, I have events planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Jack Plissken

A loving party. The goddamned shrink is throwing a loving party so she could pick at everyone's brains. The last shrink Jack had seen gotten him thrown out of the army for what happened.

Jack pours himself another drink. Bourbon into a coffee mug. Pure goddamned class. He pulls out his pistol, ejects the mag, and gives the gun a quick oiling. Shrink called it battlefield trauma. Jack wasn't sure.

The flashbacks? Those were 100% in his head. But the memories? Were those real? Something his brain made up to cover some nasty poo poo up? Gun goes back together, then back in the holster. Another drink. Three in a night so far, not as many as before. Desiccated motherfuckers in rusty chainmail that wouldn't die. Hell of a memory to have. Maybe a BBQ with his new coworkers might help.

Jack flips on the TV, and flips around on channels until he hits HBO. Some mindless TV and a drink until he can smell the food maybe. Just swing by, have a drink, and then go back to 'his' apartment and the couch that'll surely be calling after the long drive and several drinks.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

Andre pays for his meal after he finishes, says "See you guys at the cookout," to whoever is still at the diner, then gets in his car and drives to the Gas Station. He fills up the car's gas tank, buys a few 1.5 liter bottled waters and a few packs of cinnamon chewing gum from the gas station convenience store, then drives to the apartment complex. Once he figures out which unit is his, he parks his car, grabs his bag of waters and his backpack, and heads inside.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion - Front of the Apartments, near grill.

Walking down the grocery isles, Marion hummed to herself sweetly, this was going to be fun for her. Her cart full, she moved down the aisle to the check out, swiftly being friendly and open to the new grocers even going so far as to learn their name and when tofu comes in. Now, loaded with meats and veggies she went to her new apartment. Normally the uneasy feeling that she had done this before would have overwhelmed her, but Marion at this moment had a mission.

Opening the door, she rolled in her few suitcases, one with clothing, another with electronics and research help. The last boxes of food and other essentials. Marion had loved in dorms and moved quite a bit during her tenure at the university and she had a system. The system was extremely effective now as she at least put what was necessary in the right place, or nearby to be put up later that evening. In-between bouts of putting away things, she did some chores for her makeshift party.

As she wheeled out the grill and arranged the picnic tables together in front of the apartments, she wondered if it would be a success or not. It was hard to tell, but she hoped it would be a team building moment. Also if they worked together now, they would get along easier on the job, and best of all each of them would be able to do things together.

Marion's dastardly plan on getting a few together for a book club wasn't excluded either. As she went up to her apartment and crossed a few mostly unpacked boxes and suitcases, she decided that it would be at worst, a chance to sit outside and drink wine. She moved quickly and effectively until almost everything, but at least everything essential in her eyes was put up.

Finally done on the inside, she brought down the food and started heating the grill. Sitting on a picnic table leg, she had a open bottle of wine and a few glasses out. Sipping and enjoying the summer evening air was enough while the coals started to warm.

Marion is going to be outside starting to get everything ready, so if anyone wants to do anything or ask anything of her that is will she will be until the party is ready in what I imagine will be a few hours. :)

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Kurt Williamson/Simon Marino - Inside Kurt's car, driving around

Simon was driving around aimlessly while he talked on the phone. "Hey, 'Terry', just calling to let you know I've made it to Maars. About to start moving in, shouldn't be too bad. Hey, I need you to do me a favor, they might want me applying for security clearance. If that comes up, can you take care of it? And, let's see, tomorrow is my first day and I'll be taking a look at the warehouse then. Anything else you want me to do?"

Simon will head towards the apartment whenever he's done talking on the phone.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Aaron

They had all split up now, and eventually Aaron drops cash on the table with his bill, and heads outside to his bike. It was a nice summer evening, which almost all of them were in this part of the country, anyway. Never quite got too hot. It was nice.

The first stop is a quick trip to the liquor store. Real grocery shopping could wait until the morning, but right now what he really wanted was a case of something cheap, and a sixer of something more decent. Had to make sure he brought enough for everyone - anything less would simply be impolite. PBR and Sam Adams would have to do.

Scoping out the rest of the town - such as it was - would have to wait until the next day. He did want to get more of a feel for it. But he'd already been riding long enough. There would be more than enough time. He already had a sense for his co-workers, anyway, and it'd be time to get to know them a little better soon. Basorus...well, that was a different story. But there'd be time to get answers there, too.

So there's little else to do but roll over to the apartments and carry his bags up. He doesn't bother to unpack entirely, though he does at least get his laptop and some of his electronics gear all organized. Clothes - well, those could stay in the bag until he got more settled. What was most important right now was just to get a feel for what would be his new home for now - and make sure everything was the way it should be. Once all that gets situated, then maybe he could see about finding this alleged barbecue...

About $30 on beer, plus whatever his dinner and coffee cost. Also, Search 11 for a quick scout-out of the apartment to see if there's anything obviously out of place or weird, and to make sure there's not anything that needs fixed or anything that'll be a nuisance.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.
Steve

Steve furrows his brow for a moment. He was sure of what he saw. Trick of the wind? Maybe, but it gave him a strange vibe about this place. A feeling he's had ever since he first got into town, since he first started looking at this company actually. He took a quick glance to make sure nobody was watching and then stealthily checked to make sure his knife and trusty pistol were on him, concealed under his coat. 'No point in taking any chances,' He thought to himself. Once done, he walked into Zagram's Liquor to see what he could find.

Perusing the shelves, he found some nice bourbon and a case of decent beer along with what seems to be a good bottle of wine. He brought it all up to the counter and waited for a cashier. It was a large selection for such a small town. When the cashier arrives he makes some small talk, "Quite a selection you have here? You guys do pretty well this far out?"

Okay a few things here:
Slight of Hand [2](DX - 1: 11) to covertly check to make sure I have my stuff, along with Observation [2](Per: 12) to make sure nobody's looking before checking.

Then while talking to the guy at the counter, I want to find out more about this place, and maybe some more information about the town in general. I'll use:
Diplomacy [4](IQ: 12) to try and get on his good side.
Detect Lies [4](Per+0: 12) and Body Language [2](Per: 12) to see if there's anything weird or off about anything he says

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob

Appearing by Marion without much warning at all, the Englishman sits and smiles at the lady as she notices him. "You were easier to find than I imagined, but then everything seems fairly simple to find in this place so far. Such as that drinks shop for example." At the mention of it, he places a fine bottle of red wine along with a pack of cider on the table. It's been a good while since he was able to sit down in the warm evening sun and enjoy a good hard cider. Almost like Sussex. Almost.

"It would seem I am the first to arrive, although I admit that I packed very lightly so I did not need long. But, of course, it did leave me more time to check in the with the girls back home. Brief as it may have been. They are sitting down to dinner themselves, you see. Strange to think of a meal without them." A sad smile crosses his face for a moment, but it passes quickly. "At least I have good company here."

In one smooth motion, he wraps his hand around a cider bottle and pulls off the cap. Raising his bottle, he taps it against Marion's with a satisfying *clink*. "Cheers, Marion."

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Cheryl

Cheryl flinches when she hears the voice call out. "Now?" she pleads, quite enough that the others shouldn't hear. "But I just got here, it isn't safe, there are ou-"

BLOOD

She cringes. "Alright," she whimpers. She sets her suitcase just inside the door before shutting and locking it again. With a resigned sigh, she begins walking towards the forest.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

Looking up from her book, Marion gives a bright smile. "It must be instinctive this town, I feel like I know what is here, without looking." She says peering over her Ireland’s Pre-Celtic Archaeological and Anthropological Heritage book and mentally places the red as a moderate vintage of wine, a very welcome addition to the drinks that evening. "I suggest you try some of this white, it is really good. I wasn't expecting much from it, but it is a really good Riesling."

Marion gave a quiet smile as he reminisced about his daughters with a warm smile, "It is hard to be away isn't it? I can understand that." She says genuinely. "And you better watch it, you might make your wife, jealous." Marion adds devilishly.

Clinking back against with her wine glass, she nods to his cider, "Cheers! To go back to the original topic, I think that most aren't going to be coming for a bit, the grill isn't really ready yet anyway, so it is all good. I imagine that most of it the reason is to stay up late and get eased into the schedule." She says with a bit of a giggle on the end of it. Alcohol had a way of easing in a lot of things in Marion's opinion, but now, a little relaxation would do her well.

"So where in Britain are you from?" She asks the seemingly benign question to Jacob.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

After giving the apartment a good once over, Andre goes back to his car for the three cardboard boxes in his trunk and the duffel bag in his back seat. After a few trips, they're all inside, but he doesn't worry about unpacking them yet. He locks the door, draws the blinds, pulls out a laptop and a pint container out of his backpack. The pint container has a pack of rolling tobacco, papers, and a zip lock bag with a gram or so of weed he'd ground up before he left. He didn't want to risk driving with more than just a tiny bit out in the open--the rest of it was in a safe in one of the boxes.

He flips open the laptop, sees it's dead, grabs the charger out of his backpack and plugs it in. While the laptop charges, Andre rolls a quick spliff, takes the still charging laptop into his bedroom, and falls down on the bed. He checks for a smoke detector above him, and there is one, he pops out the battery, and then gets stoned, clicking through basketball articles on ESPN.com as he does so and for while after.

After the better part of an hour, he replaces the battery in the smoke detector, hops into the shower, and after he's out, throws on the same clothes, grabs his half-finished bottle of water, pulls on his jacket, and walks out to the BBQ.

He nods at the others when he gets to the Barbecue, and finds a comfortable looking reclining lawn chair to sink into. He looks around and then up at the stars, so visible given the lack of light on the ground compared to Detroit. "Nice out here." He says, "the stars are crazy."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob

"I know what you mean," he says, referring to Marion's talk of instinctive feelings about the town. "You expect to find a certain shop somewhere and then there it is. Memories of a past life, perhaps?" He smiles jovially and waves off her suggestion of trying the white. "Oh, I'll stay with the red, thank you. Never could stomach white wine really. All the more for you, eh?"

He laughs nice and loud at her joke. "Believe me, Sarah would never be jealous if she had to work these hours we have. She said being free of the mad work hours was one of the best upsides to losing her hospital job. That and spending more time with the kids, of course. It's tough, yes, but at least there are good sides to all of this, for both Sarah and I. At least we'll still have the phone and occasional Skype call. It will certainly be nice to get back to them though."

He nods along as she speaks. "Yes, it's a good idea to ease ourselves into staying up later than we are used to. At least we'll be moving around plenty at work to help keep us awake and alert. What with patrolling the grounds and such. It will be nice to see just how large the warehouse grounds are. I imagine quite the size, given how many of us were hired. Perhaps we even get vehicles to help us scoot around the place."

Gazing around at the streets as the sky darkens, he wonders just how many people make up this small town, and many of them are Basorus employees. "Me? Oh, I'm from Sussex. Along the south-east coast there. We moved all over the county really, but most of my life was spent in town called Worthing. I still miss the sea air sometimes, but I do prefer it over here."

It's not all too long before they are joined by another.
"Hello again, Andre." He too then looks up at the sky at the man's observation, the twinkle of stars now visible as the day fades away. "You certainly don't get this view in the city, that's for sure."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

"No you do not," Andre agrees, taking a long swig of water. "So you're from England? Soccer fan?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"I love white wine, very crisp and fruity. I'll happily drink it all." She said as she lifted the grill cover and put on the steaks and some chicken for a first round, extracting her warmer she covered it with tinfoil and covered it with a cloth. Cracking open a container of potato salad, she reveals the most horrifying thing: There was no mustard potato salad. The mayo potato salad seemed to stare back at the sky in defiance of nature.

"I'm glad you and Sarah get some time together at least. It is better she isn't stuck here, believe me, I grew up in a small town like this, not fun." She said, putting ice on everything that needed to be iced and helped Jacob's wine into one of the buckets of ice. "I imagine that we will have a few Humvees to race around, who knows, it might just go straight down." She said distractedly, not realizing what she was saying.

"I never lived near the ocean, but when I was in Ireland, I understand exactly what you mean. It was great. I was never near Worthing, it sounds like a neat town at the least." She gave a quick smile and then a nod to Andre that appeared with water.

"Evening and yes, they are just lovely aren't they? I do wish I knew more about astronomy, but I really don't. Well, unless, I guess you count historical astrology." She gave a brief laugh and let them talk about soccer.

Taking another sip of white, she pours another, and begins to lean back on the picnic table looking at the grill, and resisting the urge to turn the meat and chicken before it is time.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob

The sweet scent of cooking meat causes a rumble in his stomach, which is not all that surprising, seeing as he has barely eaten anything since breakfast. Wherever his appetite had gone in the diner, it's certainly back now as he watches Marion reveal the mayo potato salad. "Fantastic, Marion. I can never understand American views on mayonnaise. I think it's the best. Much better than mustard for a potato salad." Grabbing a plate, he loads up on potato salad while the meat properly cooks away. "Remind me to make it up to you for serving such a meal."

He looks to Andre again. "Well, I understand the rules and can even play it well enough. But I'm not exactly a fan of it. I'll watch the occasional England game, if they seem worth watching, of course. That and World Cup finals. I always preferred to play a sport, rather than watch it, you know. Are you a football fan? I haven't met many who are, here in the states."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

She gave a smile to Jacob, "I can't eat it at all, but I do have a excellent vegan version of potato salad I didn't have time to make. Feel free to help yourself." Marion said crunching a carrot and looking up at the stars.

"-Oops! Time to turn." She says turning the seasoned meat and tufo kabobs.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 13, 2014

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Aaron

One way or another, Aaron seems satisfied with the results of his little sweep. As he picks up the smorgasbord of beer to head down to the festivities, it occurs to him that he really wasn't sure what he expected, anyway. But everything did seem as in order as he had a right to expect for company-provided housing.

Soon enough, though, he saunters up to where the others are clustered around the grill outside, six-pack in one hand, case resting on the opposite shoulder supported by his other hand. "A fine evening to all of you fine people," Aaron announces, "and with this much beer, here's hoping it gets a bit finer."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Evening, we were just enjoying the evening with some refreshments. Chicken and beef are still cooking, but I imagine that we all are more interested in drink." A little twinkle in her eye gives off a much more mischievous tone than her voice in the matter.

"I believe that Jacob and Andre were having a nice soccer chat while I was cooking." The glass of wine was low again for some reason as she peeked at the grill. Marion filled her glass again with chilled Riesling and gave a nod to the beer now offered. "I'll have to try one in a bit."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

"I play a poo poo-ton of FIFA." Andre says, "Got into it that way. Pretty slow to watch, but there's no commercials, so it is what it is."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

In the woods by the apartments

Cheryl goes into the woods. In the distance she can hear voices and the smell of grilled foods. She finds herself swallowed up by the trees. The voices disappear. She then finds a baby squirrel on the ground crying for its mother.

Inside Jack's apartment

Jack begins to drink his bourbon. Watching TV and drinking, he feels himself relaxing. His thoughts only concern the show on TV. He takes another sip of his bourbon. It tastes off. Taking another sip, he realizes why it seems off. There's some kind of a grit in the bourbon. A fine silt, like sand. Checking the bottle, he finds that the bottle of bourbon has nothing but bourbon in it. He sees nothing that looks like it would taste like gritty sand.

Zagram's Liquor

The clerk at the register is a tall thin brunette. Her nametag says, "Joan," She looks to be in her twenties.

"I know its a little weird. This store seems a little out of place in a town like this. I guess if you're not from around here, you might think we're all drunks. The truth is, Basorus a lot of the local businesses here. Not sure why they do that, but it keeps me in a job." She begins to check out Steve's order.

I meant to post on Friday, but I didn't get around to it and I don't post on Saturdays much. I'm caught up for now and everyone gets 5 cp to spend on anything they think their character might need and didn't buy before. You can save these points for later otherwise.

Steve can tell the woman is telling the truth and isn't hiding anything.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

Sipping the wine with one hand and just peaking at the items inside the grill, she seemed rather relaxed and content to listen to the others talk about sports. Though she had never been a fan of soccer, it had been all about volley ball and track, but she had enjoyed doing them rather than watching them. Just a personal preference that she rather not interrupt the current conversation to reveal, and after all she was enjoying the quiet evening.

Taking another carrot in hand, she chews quietly as she ponders, waiting for a break in the conversation, "I could get use to the peace and quiet. Really good on my nerves."

Marion is using that 5 cp to increase her will to 15!

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
Steve

Steve nodded and gave a smile, "Well you don't look like a drunk to me." He let out a light laugh.

"I guess that makes this a company town, does everyone here work for Basorus?" He paused, "I'm a new employee too, so I guess that makes me one of the family."

Gonna save that 5 CP for now, I'll probably think of a use for it soon-ish though.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob

"Ahh," he says in reply to Andre, helping himself to more potato salad. Seems he just can't get enough of the stuff. He reminds himself to take a run tomorrow before work. "I am still surprised at the rate of commercials over here. Annoying things. Now, rugby: that's a sport I'll happily watch. Always was my favorite to play too. Proper sport, for sure." Finishing of his wine glass, he reaches then for a cider. He takes his time with the first sip, savoring it. It almost feels like a lifetime since he last enjoyed one.

And now they are four. "Hello again, Aaron. It's getting finer by the minute." He toasts his cider to the man. "How're we looking with the meat, Marion? Do let me know if you want me to take over. Being a house husband made me a deft hand at all this cooking business, you know."

Using the 5 CP to bring Jacob's Per to 13.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Cheryl

"Oh you poor thing," Cheryl says, crouching down beside the woodland creature, "would you like to move beyond your torment?" She asks, reaching out to grasp in gently with her left hand, while her right finds a stick off the ground. With it she draws the simplest altar she can, there being no time of security in this place for anything but the most basic. It is just a circle with four straight lines intersecting it. That done, she holds the baby squirrel above the circle, whispers a few unpronounceable words, silently speaks an unspeakable name, and twists the squirrel's neck in two, dropping it to the ground as blood begins to seep out.

Made a few adjustments, as we discussed in IRC. Picked up some points in Religious Ritual, Animal Handling, Forensics, and Criminology. Dropping two of those bonus points into Acting.

Animal Handling 12 and Religious Ritual (Shadow Council) 11 to perform a blood sacrifice to the voice in my head.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Around the apartments

Kurt heads over to the apartments and smells the distinctly delicious smell of flame kissed meat.

In the woods

Cheryl performs her blasphemous deed. The voice (or is it voices?) are pleased. The voices say nothing, but Cheryl knows the voices and she knows they are pleased with this offering of blood. In the air is the scent of BBQ.

Zagram's Liquor

Joan smiles at Steve.

"If Basorus didn't come to town, there wouldn't be a town. Uh, we're not all employees though. Business owners get a little financial assistance from the company and people who have lived in the town for over a year or more can get a small stipend from the company too. I don't understand why the company is so nice to everyone. Sometimes it makes me wonder why they're doing this, but then I don't want to rock the boat or anything. I think a lot of people in town are like that. Don't start asking questions or Basorus might stop the money."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Feel free, Jacob. I did most of the hard part, now is the boring part of just watching it cook." She says smiling putting her spatula on the Grill, and adjusting so that he as the clear line to the Grill. "It is almost done, I mean if you are feeling up to it, I mean, unless you want more potato salad." Marion says teasingly.

Little did she know, that the potato salad was doing its dastardly charms of filling up Jacob before the meal, and possibly, maybe even, causing the others to tempted to eating some in the evening light. Marion however, focused on her plate of carrots and celery, stolen by the various plates that were scattered around the picnic table.

"Is everyone here thinking of going for a permanent position with Basorus, or is this a road stop? I know, I am going to see what they offer after they 'vet' me." She says pleasantly.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

Andre says what's up to the new arrivals as they come. "Don't know much about rugby. See it on late at night sometimes and can't follow it. Same as cricket. Cricket makes no sense." He shrugs.

"I don't know how long I'm gonna stay, Marion. Probably just see how it goes and go from there."

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
Steve

Steve listened, and nodded at the end, smiling, "They say it's best not to bite the hand that feeds you," He lets out a light laugh. "This seems like a charming place, and I'm going to be here for a bit, so I'm sure we'll see each other again, Joan." He pauses, "I'm Steve, it's been good to meetcha!" He plunks down the cost of the beers and bourbon on the counter and takes his purchases to his car. It was interesting that the entire town was supported by Basorus, he would be sure to keep that in mind. Company towns were nothing new, but usually reserved for more profitable industries like mining, oil and gas, not traditionally warehouse work. Some of the pieces were starting to come together though. Basorus could put their warehouse anywhere, so either they were storing something related to this specific location, or they want what's kept here significantly out of the way. Either one had strange and even dangerous implications.

Steve filed the information away in his mind, and headed to the apartments. He was sure to be late for the cookout, but at least he brought enough libations to make up for it. He didn't have much to move in, he had just brought his filing system for various personal matters, a wardrobe and some small personal items. He opened the door and simply plunked down the two boxes containing these things and then grabbed the alcohol and headed for the smell of meat on the grill.

Arriving and seeing people already conversing he places the case of beer and bourbon on the picnic table and takes a seat, smiling but being non-intrusive, allowing people to continue their conversations.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Aaron

He takes a seat somewhere and cracks open one of the Sam Adams. "Well, speaking for me, dinner's good, but beer's better. Especially with what we've got on tap tomorrow." Aaron shrugs; likely as not, everyone here was going to need tonight to unwind after travel and in the face of their new job.

Taking a sip, he addresses Andre and Jacob. "You won't get much of either of those up here, you betcha. From what I know about the U-P it's all football - well, the American kind - and hockey. Not that I mind either. Not that I mind the other kind of football either, you know. But you might have to spring for more than basic cable and wade through half a dozen college hockey listings to find it."

He waves to Steve as he arrives, then looks over at Marion. "Think it's a bit too early to decide that kind of thing, sorry. At least for me. Really have to see how it goes. That said, it sure does seem like they're willing to pay well, so there's that."

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Jack Plissken

Sand? What the gently caress was sand doing in Jack's drink? More importantly, how did it get there? The last time Jack had fuckin' sand in his mouth in goddamned Afghanistan, and it'd tasted like-

copper. His lips tasted like copper. Either he'd bit himself when the grenade went off, or he had Taliban juice splashed on his goddamned face. Jack watched the wall with the carvings, all kinds of shattered and hosed up now, start to crumble down, crushing whatever was left of the guy who had been beside the frag. Looked like one of the lids on the sarcophagi had been moved too. Jack wondered how the hell a frag had done that.

"Sarge, why the gently caress are we in a goddamned tomb," he called, "this is loving bull-

-poo poo then too. Great, another goddamned flashback. "How in the gently caress does sand bring on a goddamned flashback for gently caress sakes, it's just loving sand in my goddamned drink, gently caress."

Jack stands up. Maybe being social would help get rid of the feeling that something weird was going. Maybe having a drink somewhere else would help more, a drink without sand in it. He grabs his bottle of bourbon, and follows the smell of food to another of the apartments, before he stops and knocks on the door.

"Hope this is the place, and I'm not knocking on some other fuckhead's door," Jack mumbles under his breath.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Kurt Williamson/Simon Marino

Simon arrived at the BBQ, realizing that he was both late and had neglected to bring anything. That might look strange. He tried to think of an excuse. "Uh, hey everyone. Sorry I'm late. I swear, my GPS took me down every back road in town looking for a grocery store." Simon sighed. That should work alright.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
Steve

Steve shrugged, "Eh, don't worry about it. I think we all brought more then we thought anyway. Seems to be how these things turn out. Have a beer!" He opens the case and slides one down the table to Simon.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob

"Oh, I'm eating any left over potato salad. Don't you worry about that," he says with a smile, stepping over to the grill with his cider in hand. "And I'm even better at cooking when all the hard work of it is already done." Marion gets a shrug at her question. "Who knows about any long term position here. It's far too early to think much on it really. And I'll have to see how things turn out back home."

He looks to Aaron. "Yes, I know how hard it can be to find sports -as I know them- on American tele. Probably why I've given up on trying to watch most of them really." Laughing, he turns to Andre. "I'll agree with you about cricket. Absolutely no sense." As others arrive, he motions them to the drinks laid about the table, letting them help themselves. Spotting Jack walking up, he waves the fellow veteran over, trying to think little of the already opened bottle of bourbon in the man's hand. A man can't be judged for enjoying a drink before a party after all. "Evening, boys. Just in time for the meat, I think."

Everyone's gathered now, except Cheryl. And he's sure the smell of cooked food will draw the girl over soon enough. After all, the girl's strong appetite is her most defining characteristic to him so far.

After a little while, he checks the grill again and inspects the food. "I think we're good to go with the meat, Marion. Is this tofu?"

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Kurt Williamson/Simon Marino

"Thanks." Kurt catches the beer, cracks it open, and takes a sip. Just one or two beers couldn't hurt. "So what's been goin' on here?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Hi Steve! Oh and there you are Jack! We are down here!" She says to both of the new comers waving to Jack from the front of the apartments, having been rummaging in the food to present it for everyone. Now beyond the potato salad that speaks of the depths of madness and possibly adjusting waist line. Now on the table were various side dishes that Marion had purchased at the store, ranging from the veggies that she had out, to potato chips and dip. Feeling accomplished she turns her attention back to the others.

"Don't worry, Kurt, I tried to buy everything we would need." There is a smile and a nod to him.

Marion realized that she had been talked too, "Oh, Sorry! I got distracted by laying everything out. Jacob, those kabobs are all tofu, you don't have to really grill it, you really are grilling the veggies. Those can come out whenever!" She swoops in with a large serving dish and puts it on the grill side.

"Kurt, I think mostly we have a few complaints about Americanized sports, and a bit of a side conversation about if we were thinking of keeping this job or moving on." She says piling up plates, forks, spoons and bowls. Actual metal knifes on paper cloths topped off the place setting.

"I don't suppose there is anything to do in this town." Marion sighs, "I might have to get Netflix again, hey maybe even weekly movie night!" She says with a bit of a smile.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Jack Plissken

"Evenin' Jacob. Brought something stronger to drink for anyone who's interested," Jack says, waving to the Brit, "So, Doc, you got a plan for this shindig or we just gonna shoot the poo poo until we eat all the food and drain the fuckin' bottles?"

He puts the bottle down beside the others, and resists the urge to pour another glass. No point in getting hammered until poo poo's figured out. Better off not drinking with the shrink around too, having her digging in his head wouldn't be pleasant. In the meantime he reaches for one of the beers sitting out on the table, and cracks it open.

Jack looks around. All his new coworkers were here except the girl with the appetite. "For me, this is hopefully more than a pit stop," he says addressing Marion, "Been working fuckin' freelance and that poo poo is getting goddamned tiring. You're either flush or dead fuckin' broke, no middle ground. How about you, why's a shrink workin' security anyways?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

Jack was as always very direct and crass, but Marion was not effected by it, nor did her smile wane as she leaned back. "I came up with this in the diner. Thought it would be nice to meet everyone and maybe drink and eat a little too much. Otherwise, just be in my room being bored. If anyone has any fun ideas, I'm more than welcome to help it out." She said genuinely.

"I'm here to help a dear friend, and who knows they might have a place for me after I earn my dues." Marion says quietly, She got the distinct impression that he thought that she was here for them and it was good it came out now and not on the job. "Other than that, I am just same as you. Mara didn't seem to like me much, I don't know anything more than you do." Awake at least, she considered with a bit of a private joke.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob

"Ahh. Might skip the heavier stuff for now. Doesn't agree with me all too well and that won't do for a good first impression." He raises his cider to Jack. "Now this stuff is more my style."

He starts loading up the tofu kebabs onto the serving plate, along with the cooked pieces of meat that are ready to be devoured. "Tofu," he repeats. He's not really a fan of it, but he keeps his mouth shut like a good guest. "Well, this lot's ready," he says, placing the serving plate on the table. "Dig in, chaps and chappete."

Helping some of the non-tofu food onto his plate, he starts digging in. "Really good food, Marion. Thank you again." He eats and listens to the others talk, until Marion mentions something odd. "How is being here helping a friend of yours?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

Taking a plate full of tufo kebab and other veggies, Marion found it complemented her full wine glass perfectly. Taking a large drink from the wine she is about to bite into the tofu when Jacob's question too her by surprise.

She holds up her hand and extends her finger before chewing and swallowing. "Thank you, I am glad it tasted good! As for my dear friend, I can't say much without breaking his confidence, but I fear he had a mental health emergency. I haven't seen him yet, but it is best ease into these situations if you understand. This job happens to be a bit of a blessing, nearby and, well the sort that caused his distress." She said carefully and tastefully before biting into another helping.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Cheryl

Cheryl takes her time walking back towards the apartments, enjoying the quiet for however long it will last. When she does arrive she tries to slip into the gathering like she'd always been there. She smiles as she grabs a plate and piles it with a little bit (and sometimes more than a bit) of everything available.

• Locked thread