Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bpower
Feb 19, 2011

weekly font posted:

Not gonna lie when I get into a solo MM queue with 4 people with no mics who don't communicate and we're down 0-6 I'll just idle until they kick me. I'm that guy.

Fortunately it doesn't happen nearly as often as you guys are making it out.

Are you German? I've had this done 3 or 4 times. It was always some German kid literally sulking in the corner of spawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

mcvey posted:

I don't mm at all but I know people who do? idk

May I ask why not ?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

mcvey posted:

-The registration and hitboxes in the game are already bad enough that 64 tick high loss servers make it even worse.
-It used to play all the bad non _se versions of the maps(remember original nuke), they improved on that but new mirage is a joke compared to _ce.
-Playerbase is for the most part worthless, if I have to mute half the team/enemy and it's just bait-city it's not fun.
-I'm not going to solo queue so if no one else wants to play you're SOL, I don't want to play a game with randoms.
-Most players couldn't throw a flashbang/smoke grenade and entry frag to save their lives.
-I'd rather play with and against friends, the goon community + mumble makes this great.
-Cheaters used to be a huge problem in the higher ranks.
-There's a lot of added stress playing against random players for something that 'matters' vs. friendly PUG with people you know and can talk poo poo to in mumble.

Really it all comes down to having Goonmans there as an alternative. Decent servers, players vote maps, captains select teams, stats, admins, everyone knows each other, actually good maps. The quality has dipped a lot in the past few months and it will never be peak goonman again but it still beats matchmaking.

I'll still get roped into MMing once a month and it's fun with the right people but I'd rather just spend half an hour DMing instead.

e: really im just hoping someone comes out with a good FPS so I can finally quit this series.

Ughh, Im dumb, I thought MM meant 5v5. But I agree goonmans are much more fun than MM. Euro goons should join in as well. I get 130 ping from Ireland. Its playable for me.

How much would it cost to set up a goon EU server and would it get any use? If its like 5 bucks a month or something and a willing nerd can set it up Im happy to pay for
it.

edit: \/\/ does that combination of words mean something?

bpower fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 22, 2014

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Jeoh posted:

I'd play on a EU server but I don't think a lot of other people would. Cause 'MURICA :911:

In fairness I'd probably still play on the US one even with my lovely ping.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

kcer posted:

Well are you gonna tell us the 1% or what?

The casios hate him.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Thom P. Tiers posted:

"A portion of the proceeds from the key used to unlock this will help support CS:GO professional tournament prize pools."

Hmmmmm. In the same way skin cream "helps" reduce the appearance of wrinkles?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

I AM BRAWW posted:

I don't know if you're insinuating that Valve wouldn't actually keep their word in regards to giving proceeds from key sales to tournament prize pools, but if it is, you sound really dumb.

You dont know what Im saying , but if I did say that dumb thing you imagined then I sound dumb?

My point was "helps" is often used in advertising ,and PR in general, to say all sorts of misleading things. Value could give 0.00001% of the proceeds to comps and still "keep their word".

edit: oh no, I insulted Value. :qq: . Jesus.

bpower fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 23, 2014

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Just got overwatch. I really don't know enough about how cheats work to select guilty on anything that isn't completely blatant. Any advice on what to look for? Out of 10 cases I looked at only one was blatant. 2 were highly suspect but not B.A.R.D. Both of them were very similar. They got 3 or 4 crazy headshots while moving at full speed and spraying. They'd be moving , get shot from behind and 180 while still moving and start spraying. A couple of body hits and then a HS. It looked super fishy but not enough for me to smash them with my hammer of justice.

Or is overwatch just to weed out the blatant ones or what?

bpower fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 24, 2014

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

astr0man posted:

But really if you think someone is hacking then just vote that they are hacking it doesn't really matter.

Because they'll weight by opinion lowly if I continually get it wrong, or just overwatch doesn't matter?

edit: /\/\/\ Yeah I want to do it well or I just wont bother.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
http://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/overwatch/

It looks like a pretty good system. Other than making the requirements to get overwatch more strict Im not sure how they could improve it.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

mcvey posted:

Digital vibrance(or the AMD equivalent shrug)

display colour-> saturation.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

down with slavery posted:

If it makes you feel any better increasing the saturation of your monitor is about as likely to improve your skills as is playing on a 128 tick server or pooping two times a day instead of three.

edit. Also be sure to put electrical tape over any opening in your playing area that might allow ambient light in so you're maximizing the contrast ratio

It will improve your results (I assume you mean results rather than skills) if your colours are washed out by default. I sometimes forget to apply my settings before the game and I'll notice my reactions are a bit slow, like it takes an extra few milliseconds for my brain to go "there's a dude, get him". Or as someone said earlier I just simply won't see a guy crouched behind those baskets on d2 A.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Its too drat hot to play cs. My arm is sticking to the table.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
for me it was incremental. just remember what you're trying to achieve, better character recognition. I max out the brightness in game and them put saturation up to about 120. It'll depend on your monitor so there's no "correct" settings.

edit: by incremental, I don't mean increase by one, test, etc.

Stick a bot in an awkward spot and mess about with the settings a bit. It'll take a couple of minutes to find something you're happy with. Close enough is definitely good enough.

bpower fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 25, 2014

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Ephedra posted:

I feel like you(even me) guys are trying to learn how to hit the apex of turn correctly when you still don't even know wtf the pedals do in your car.

Aren't we just cleaning the windscreen before attempting to drive?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Ephedra posted:

I mean this doesn't even make sense to me... If you need help to figure out how to adjust the colors/brightness on your monitor maybe you should just swallow a bullet.

Edit: not you personally but anyone.

How about we forget about the car analogies for now. Fault on both sides, no harm done and so forth.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yeah I hardly noticed before because I haven't played for ages (and I spend most of my time dead) but the frame rate drops to below 10 when that CPU % thing goes low. It is really warm here atm but it still shouldn't be doing that. I'm ordering some paste stuff and see if that can fix it otherwise i'm binning the thing.

as a test try adding -processheap to your launch options.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Trading big money items can be stressful. I suggest a few drinks before you begin.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Senethro posted:

When playing in Europe is there any way to filter out Russians?

Other than get friends to play with, you cant guarantee it. Steps you can take; lower your max acceptable ping, not sure if that really works. Play at peak hours for non russians. If you're in the UK for example, don't play 3 am on a wednesday.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

I hope we can expect highlights from deag league posted on youtube?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

augustob posted:

I was screaming so loud when we won clutch rounds I thought my neighbors would complain. Go do it, it's definitely worth it.

edit: to anyone interested, if you reply with a link to your Steam profile page I can easily add you to the group
Are entry conditions purely vibe-based or do you need to be pretty good?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
I covet skins like a motherfucker. Can't help it. If I unboxed a fancy knife I'd busrt into tears.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

augustob posted:

Ask anyone in the group, they can all invite people!

How? Add as friend first?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

astr0man posted:

They don't even have to be your steam friend. Assuming you are in chat you can just right click the person who needs an invite and "Invite to group >> CS:GOONS"

I am the dude who needs an invite, so I just hang out in chat till a member shows up?

augustob posted:

Anyone can join, but you're expected to try once you're in. Deag League plays to win. With deags.

For sure.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Is it weird that I literally don't give a poo poo about my rank?

Not weird, admirable even, but its definitely unusual.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I just care if I win or lose and if I play well or not :(

lovely Analogy Alert.

Rank is to skill as IQ is to intelligence. Noone really cares about the former but we'd all like more of the latter.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Necc0 posted:

Speaking of twitch I'd like to do a review-stream tonight and I still need submissions from bad players. I'll be constructive, I promise

Im up for this. Im happy with my aim but everything else is terrible, positioning, timing,nades, awareness. Its all bad. Does it make sense to to send one where I played as well as I can, rather than one where I was bad and made a load of mistakes that are obvious even to me, yeah?

How do I get the demo to you, if you're interested of course?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Necc0 posted:

Go with a match where you felt like you did your best just so I don't accidentally focus on something you know you screwed up.

I was really happy with the way I played here, from a couple of days ago just before I ranked up to Nova 2. we had a bot from early on, and myself and another dude kinda carried it, just barely though.

steam://rungame/730/76561202255233023/+csgo_download_match%20CSGO-ybvan-RCHv9-C6DJT-BQi64-wquLA

Is it normal for your movement to look (even more) awful in a demo?

edit:Wooster

bpower fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 29, 2014

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Necc0 posted:

If my brain can't remember them they aren't worth remembering imo

If you make it through my demo you wont forget me, you'll try, but you wont.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
drat it. Just got it into bed. Getting up now.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Necc0 posted:

Gonna start viewing in five mins maybe:

http://www.twitch.tv/neccowafers

edit: actually let's make it 8 PM EST just so people have more warning

should we be hearing your voice, cos all we hear are game sounds?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Necc0 posted:

WELP.

You want to try again right now or tomorrow?

right now please.

edit: your were drawing arrows and stuff on the map, i want to know what you were saying

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Necc0 posted:

WELP.

You want to try again right now or tomorrow?

Dude that was great. Thanks very much. Learned a lot, the stuff about just being aware of your buddies situation and trying to help or take advantage of cross fire was very useful.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
I watched it again.

Summary of Necco's review.

Here's the general points that I found very useful.

As T when defending a site alone and waiting for the retake you should hide rather than post in the open.

Look at your map and actually think about the best place to be rather than just stay where you are. Help your buddies and try to get in 2 v 1s, or set up good cross fires.

When entering danger areas, stutter-peak first.

If your buddy is fighting at a corner swing past and fan out, dont queue up behind him.

Pistol round; get plant ASAP.

Dont post in a spot that restricts your movement when a fight starts.

Don't "pre-flash" if you're too far away to take advantage of it, you're just warning the enemy you're on the way.

You dont have to shoot everytime you see an enemy. For example, if you're alone and come see a couple of enemy who don't see you, you can wait till you get backup rather than try to kill them alone. Especially if its long range and they have awps.

When up against an awp close quarters, and he knows where you are, start moving even if it means exposing yourself, you need to gamble that he'll whiff and then kill him when he's cycling. Staying still is bad.

Never give up control of an area for no good reason.

If holding an area don't just wait for them to enter, peak the entry lanes.

If you're spread out as T and get a pick, the whole team should start putting pressure on that area straight away.

For me specifically; practice CH placement, get consistant with nades, practice stutter-stepping.

Dude, you're awesome. Thanks again.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
You could try that radar type that always shows the complete map. I think its the one used in demos as default. I tried it but I found very confusing. Or you can ask you team mates, something like "info?", "info!" "INFO?!???!!" "JESUS loving CH|RIST QWill 1 of badrdds tell wtf is happening"?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Is Deag League dead already? I never got a chance to deag, not even once :(

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

augustob posted:

1) Get in GO:ONS chat
2) Say 'yo let's go deag'
3) Deag

Don't let someone else do your deagin' for you.

edit: also, tons of Deag League games so far have sprouted out of failed late night Goonmans

It must be a time zone thing (EU). I was in chat for a few hours last night and there was only a couple of people there but they weren't responding to me. But thats cool, at least its still going. I'll try again tonight.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

feedtheid posted:

I've run into a problem. It turns out you actually have to win matches for the game to tell you you're silver.

You're struggling to win 10 or you were deranking so hard you forgot to win a few?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

feedtheid posted:

Having somehow missed the CS boat for umpteen years, I'm just genuinely terrible at shooting mans. I did have 2-3 rounds in a row where my opponents were in disbelief because I was getting so loving lucky with headshots. Most of the time, though, I go negative or in a good half break even.

Thats standard, I picked it up a few months ago and I basically thought the other players were doing magic. I couldn't understand how they were casually shooting me in the face everytime they appeared on the screen. It gets better :glomp:.

bpower fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
I can't decide on a Deag skin for my Jeeves account. Wooster gifting it to him. I'm torn between the Conspiracy and the Heirloom, leaning towards the Conspiracy.

I have a Golden Koi I could gift him, but Im pretty sure Jeeves would not approve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYf5YPNnfRY&t=173s

• Locked thread